Football player enters transfer portal

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OGaggie23

Re: Football player enters transfer portal

Post by OGaggie23 » April 8th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Yes it would be a tough loss to lose Rollie but the year we lost Koby we had a new coach and that year well you all know what happend that year and the year after. It will open spots up on the roster and gives players more opportunities to shoot the ball. Just beans mid range has been BUTTER

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 8th, 2021, 6:50 pm

I'm remembering why I took like a 5 year break from the board.

It's not the people complaining...that's extremely normal for a message board. It's the complaining about people complaining that drives me crazy.

Anyway... carry on.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
2004AG

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 7:02 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 6:50 pm
I'm remembering why I took like a 5 year break from the board.

It's not the people complaining...that's extremely normal for a message board. It's the complaining about people complaining that drives me crazy.

Anyway... carry on.
I’m with you on the complaining about complaining, but I’m not seeing it in this thread. Just people pointing out a really weird post.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 7:04 pm

GUS wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:19 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:54 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Turtle wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:46 pm
Man, not good. Marco is going to follow him to the U
Well coach must have really made a good first impression yesterday.
Here’s my best attempt at a silver lining. When you are playing Bean at the 4, and a non-shooter at the 5 spot, you really need the guys playing Rollie’s and Marco’s positions to be consistent shooters. Rollie and Marco are great players, but shooters they are not.That’s my best attempt at a silver lining.

How I really feel—Smith left and took two of the best players with him and left the remaining fruits of his bad recruiting on the roster for the new coach to deal with. The two guys I am excited about coming back are a former walkon turned Aggie god and a Duryea recruit.
I have to disagree a bit. Marco is as you say not the most consistent shooter. But, I thought Rollie by the end of the season was much better. When you consider that Rollie was running the point, I thought his shooting was fairly decent for a true freshman. I would guess that by his junior year, his offense will be very good. HIs shooting mechanics looked good. I have to believe that his missed shots were primarily due to inexperience and pressure to run the point.
I disagree with myself too. Just grasping for straws to put lipstick on losing a promising young player.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2021, 7:32 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 7:04 pm
GUS wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:19 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:54 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Turtle wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:46 pm
Man, not good. Marco is going to follow him to the U
Well coach must have really made a good first impression yesterday.
Here’s my best attempt at a silver lining. When you are playing Bean at the 4, and a non-shooter at the 5 spot, you really need the guys playing Rollie’s and Marco’s positions to be consistent shooters. Rollie and Marco are great players, but shooters they are not.That’s my best attempt at a silver lining.

How I really feel—Smith left and took two of the best players with him and left the remaining fruits of his bad recruiting on the roster for the new coach to deal with. The two guys I am excited about coming back are a former walkon turned Aggie god and a Duryea recruit.
I have to disagree a bit. Marco is as you say not the most consistent shooter. But, I thought Rollie by the end of the season was much better. When you consider that Rollie was running the point, I thought his shooting was fairly decent for a true freshman. I would guess that by his junior year, his offense will be very good. HIs shooting mechanics looked good. I have to believe that his missed shots were primarily due to inexperience and pressure to run the point.
I disagree with myself too. Just grasping for straws to put lipstick on losing a promising young player.
Yeah Rollie showed this year that he had the most upside on the team imo (obviously excluding queta).
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Real Life Aggie

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 8th, 2021, 7:39 pm

Sad thing is they're are so many in the transfer portal this year some are going to left in the cold without a school to go to. I suspect we see quite a few end of not transferring in the macro scale.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2021, 7:41 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:I'm remembering why I took like a 5 year break from the board.

Anyway... carry on.
Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
3rdGenAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2021, 8:03 pm

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 8th, 2021, 8:04 pm

The transfer portal is ruining a central element of what makes college basketball great. That is loyalty to and fanship of a player. It’s now a rent-a-player atmosphere. Koby will be playing for his 3rd team in 5 years. Marco, if in fact he does leave, will be doing the same. This “free agency” has taken a lot of the fun out of the game. Win, lose, or draw you use to be able to count on the fans, the players and the coaches all being in things together and having a legacy to build on. That’s now all but disappeared. How many players can you now count on to start and finish their careers at the same school? Prescious few.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 9):
2004AGAggiePTcvalnewtonianbluevegasaggie3rdGenAggieWinkieViAggieaggiesdotcom

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » April 8th, 2021, 8:12 pm

AgMac wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:26 pm
I wanted Rollie to stay more than I wanted anyone else to stay. That said, given the jam packed transfer portal, and a new coach coming in with former players, recruits, and other connections, I'm less heartbroken to have lots of available scholarships.
I can't remember if it was football or basketball, but I remember it being noted that there were 3 players in the portal for one scholarship available. There is competition and Odum was planning on using the portal. It'll be okay. Might get an upperclassman who has more to offer.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » April 8th, 2021, 8:17 pm

The lack of coach and player loyalty has certainly dampened my overall interest in both college and professional sports.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21ereksonaggieViAggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 8th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Remember that one time our highest-rated recruit ever and starting PG transferred when the new coach was hired? I remember. We were just fine. Losing Worster is tough, but we will recover.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
AgliciousViAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 8th, 2021, 8:20 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 8:04 pm
The transfer portal is ruining a central element of what makes college basketball great. That is loyalty to and fanship of a player. It’s now a rent-a-player atmosphere. Koby will be playing for his 3rd team in 5 years. Marco, if in fact he does leave, will be doing the same. This “free agency” has taken a lot of the fun out of the game. Win, lose, or draw you use to be able to count on the fans, the players and the coaches all being in things together and having a legacy to build on. That’s now all but disappeared. How many players can you now count on to start and finish their careers at the same school? Prescious few.
Completely agree. It is why Sam is such a legend in my book. He could have bolted, but stayed and showed he is a true aggie. Bean is trending in the same direction for me.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 11):
ThunderAggieCastIronAggieAggiePTosuaggieaggieguy13hipsterdoofus21vegasaggieaggies22WinkieAggieFBObsession and one more user

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 8th, 2021, 9:19 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 8:17 pm
The lack of coach and player loyalty has certainly dampened my overall interest in both college and professional sports.
True to a point, but fans have to accept we are hypocrites on this. We weren't loyal to Mick Dennehy, Brent Guy or Tim Duryea. Personally, I 100% supported the decision to fire all 3 of those guys. Also, nobody cares or we openly support it when end of bench players are cycled out of the program.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Football player enters transfer portal

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 8th, 2021, 9:52 pm

I wanted to go to Penn State my whole life. I got in but couldn't afford it. Got a full ride at USU. If I worked hard and earned good enough grades to get a full ride at Penn State, I absolutely am entitled to take advantage of that and transfer. None of that happened, mainly because I didn't work hard enough.

Same with basketball. They're given a one year scholarship that goes both ways. They worked hard and gave a lot to the university in addition to what they got in return. If Worster thinks he'd be better off, academically or athletically, at a different school, he's earned the chance through his own hard work and dedication. He represented USU well.

The most obvious exception to this is situations like Collette. Screw that guy.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 8th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Do these guys not have friends
Girlfriends
transfer credits
If you aren't going pro anyways you are missing building a legacy.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 8th, 2021, 10:12 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:52 pm
I wanted to go to Penn State my whole life. I got in but couldn't afford it. Got a full ride at USU. If I worked hard and earned good enough grades to get a full ride at Penn State, I absolutely am entitled to take advantage of that and transfer. None of that happened, mainly because I didn't work hard enough.

Same with basketball. They're given a one year scholarship that goes both ways. They worked hard and gave a lot to the university in addition to what they got in return. If Worster thinks he'd be better off, academically or athletically, at a different school, he's earned the chance through his own hard work and dedication. He represented USU well.

The most obvious exception to this is situations like Collette. Screw that guy.

I don’t begrudge Worster from leaving. He was recruited to play at USU by a coach who is no longer there. Nevertheless, it still sucks that there is very little loyalty to a school and that fans cannot expect that the player they have cheered on will be there to cheer on the next year.

My neighbor graduated from USU. He was heavily involved with USU in college. He married a song leader from Cache Valley. And now? He’s a dyed-in-the-wool BYU fan and so are all of his kids. And why? Because their football team has been easier to root for. And me? I came to USU from out of state to pursue a course of study. I had only visited the university once and it was my second time I had ever even been to Utah. I knew no one who had attended USU. And now? I am an Aggie to the core. Through thick and thin, come what may. I have a deep sense of loyalty to USU. It appears that attribute is now passé.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 4):
vegasaggieOrangeCountyAggieaggies22newtonianblue

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 8th, 2021, 10:38 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Kids are too short sighted these days to think about legacy. They are the Snap Chat, FOMO, and instant gratification generation. They can only focus on the now.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 4):
cvalBank Shotaggies22slcagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 8:47 am

TrueAG wrote:
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Worster likely won't be an NBA player, but if he keeps getting better, he will have a basketball career overseas.

It sucks he is leaving, but we don't know what Odom has instore. I admit, I was pretty disappointed with the guys transferring out in 2018, but then we ended up being better without them. I'm very excited for the type of players Odom plans on bringing in.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 8:49 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:38 pm
TrueAG wrote:
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Kids are too short sighted these days to think about legacy. They are the Snap Chat, FOMO, and instant gratification generation. They can only focus on the now.
Oh, and get off my lawn!
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
Winkiethegreendalegelf3rdGenAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 9th, 2021, 9:49 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:49 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Oh, and get off my lawn!
I mean, yeah, kids are like that. But this generation isn't different in that regard than any other... and old codgers complaining about them isn't unique either. :lol:

One day when Gen Z is older, they'll complain about all the problems of Gen Whatever, which is exactly what they were like when they were that age, too. It's the Circle of Strife (trademark pending).

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 10:04 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:49 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Oh, and get off my lawn!
I mean, yeah, kids are like that. But this generation isn't different in that regard than any other... and old codgers complaining about them isn't unique either. :lol:

One day when Gen Z is older, they'll complain about all the problems of Gen Whatever, which is exactly what they were like when they were that age, too. It's the Circle of Strife (trademark pending).
I respectfully disagree. Certain levels of these traits are found across multiple generations, but kids aren't raised in a vacuum. Technological advancements change lifestyles as each generation comes along. Social norms and agendas also play a factor.

Now, having said that, I should point out I don't blame Gen Z for this outcome. All those years of my generation being helicopter parents, excusing our kids of accountability in school/church/sports, insisting on everybody getting trophies, allowing too much freedom with the internet/tv/movies, and focusing our efforts on entertainment far more than fulfilling activities have resulted in this current culture.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 10:17 am

Players now do want to play right away more than in generations past. The idea of a college kid sitting on the bench for a few years and waiting their turn is a lot less common now than it used to be. However, that didn't apply to Worster. He was starting as a true freshman and his role would have been even bigger next year. Oh well, excited to see what Odom does to fill our needs.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 9th, 2021, 10:21 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:04 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Oh, and get off my lawn!

I respectfully disagree. Certain levels of these traits are found across multiple generations, but kids aren't raised in a vacuum. Technological advancements change lifestyles as each generation comes along. Social norms and agendas also play a factor.

Now, having said that, I should point out I don't blame Gen Z for this outcome. All those years of my generation being helicopter parents, excusing our kids of accountability in school/church/sports, insisting on everybody getting trophies, allowing too much freedom with the internet/tv/movies, and focusing our efforts on entertainment far more than fulfilling activities have resulted in this current culture.
So are the Gen Z kids the new millenials, or are they even worse than us? :joking:

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » April 9th, 2021, 10:23 am

You seem to want to blame the players for this system..The NCAA instituted it. Coaches use it..The players are just operating under the parameters in place.

I don't know if Worster grew up dreaming of playing for USU or just took his best offer out of high school but it is reasonable to see what else might be out there. Your coach split. Guys get over-recruited all the time. There are valid reasons.

Not every kid is looking for a P-5 slot. Vegas just loaded up with 4 guys from P-5 programs who had spent their career at the far end of the bench. You only get to be young once. Maybe they just want to play while they can.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
frankiesaysrelaxAggie in Boise

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 9th, 2021, 10:32 am

I'm going to take a moment to appreciate the players who played for us and transfered. :wtf:

Ahh that felt good. Now...Are we getting that 5'-2" guard?
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 4):
Aggie in BoiseBLUERUFiOslcaggineptimusprime

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 9th, 2021, 10:36 am

nvspuds wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:23 am
You seem to want to blame the players for this system..The NCAA instituted it. Coaches use it..The players are just operating under the parameters in place.

I don't know if Worster grew up dreaming of playing for USU or just took his best offer out of high school but it is reasonable to see what else might be out there. Your coach split. Guys get over-recruited all the time. There are valid reasons.

Not every kid is looking for a P-5 slot. Vegas just loaded up with 4 guys from P-5 programs who had spent their career at the far end of the bench. You only get to be young once. Maybe they just want to play while they can.

They’re just taking advantage of opportunities older classes never had and I imagine would have used just as much if they were available when they played.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 2:58 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:21 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 10:04 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
Girlfriends
transfer credits
Oh, and get off my lawn!

So are the Gen Z kids the new millenials, or are they even worse than us? :joking:
Worse than us :lol: but in large part because of us :disappointed:

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 2:58 pm
Worse than us :lol: but in large part because of us :disappointed:
Says every generation ever. :roll:
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

stang

Post by stang » April 9th, 2021, 3:25 pm

There are a million reasons a kid could feel the need to transfer, and frankly, it doesn’t matter what his is. A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

I’m bummed Rollie is leaving. I truly thought he had a chance to go down as one of the greats. From my viewpoint, he’s not likely to find a basketball situation as good as the one he has here. But my opinion is entirely irrelevant in this situation.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
CanofShiz

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 9th, 2021, 3:36 pm

stang wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 3:25 pm
There are a million reasons a kid could feel the need to transfer, and frankly, it doesn’t matter what his is. A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

I’m bummed Rollie is leaving. I truly thought he had a chance to go down as one of the greats. From my viewpoint, he’s not likely to find a basketball situation as good as the one he has here. But my opinion is entirely irrelevant in this situation.
When did a scholarship, free housing, free food, free tutoring become nothing? Somehow we have an argument in this country that we should eliminate student debt because it's debilitating for people but for athletes, it's somehow slavery for them to play a game for free education.

I get it if you are high-level athlete bringing in Millions for a P5 school. For schools like USU, they aren't profiting off of these athletes. They are barely able to survive. I am up for people having choices but to say we shouldn't have feelings about an athlete taking off after we have invested him is ridiculous.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » April 9th, 2021, 3:41 pm

stang wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Agreed. It hurts people because he is good. If he sucked this wouldn't be a conversation and no-one would be talking about loyalty.

cval

Post by cval » April 9th, 2021, 3:44 pm

After how hard I worked for my college education, and to help my children with theirs with zero student loans and almost no financial aid of any sort, it bothers me to see that being declared to have little to no value.

It is life changing for many of these kids.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21BLUERUFiO

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm

stang wrote:There are a million reasons a kid could feel the need to transfer, and frankly, it doesn’t matter what his is. A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

That’s a straw man argument. Nobody is claiming he owes us something.

Can we discuss how bad it sucks on a Utah State fan board though ?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 9th, 2021, 4:23 pm

cval wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 3:44 pm
After how hard I worked for my college education, and to help my children with theirs with zero student loans and almost no financial aid of any sort, it bothers me to see that being declared to have little to no value.

It is life changing for many of these kids.
You are so correct. As an athlete if they are focused and do it right and get a in demand degree they truly are set up for life. I certainly am thankful for my college education and the good jobs that have been opened up from having it.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
cval

Locked Previous topicNext topic