This just sucks, come on Rolllie

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

This just sucks, come on Rolllie

Post by troutputz » April 9th, 2021, 6:45 am

Rollie is transferring, and guess where? Yep, probably the EWE according to KSL!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: This just sucks, come on Rolllie

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 7:07 am

And this surprises you? Welcome to the new norm. College basketball has free agency and while everyone wants to act like this year’s amount of transfers is an anomaly it’s really just how it’s going to be from now on. We’re going to shuffle the deck every off season and that’s where having a guy like Odom vs Smith is crucial.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggiesForever

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » April 9th, 2021, 7:27 am

Right you are! However, when a pretty good player from Montana comes to USU, and then leaves it hurts! Especially a guy like me that loves Montana in the summer only. Montana was the home of the greatest Aggie that ever played for us. It’s like we are hoping another player from Montana will be a great one from there. Sam was the greatest player we have had from Utah! With Sam it seems that his years with us just went by way to fast! With Estes his stay was short but his years last with us FOREVER!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 9th, 2021, 7:34 am

As much as we’d like to think players commit to USU and Logan, majority of the time especially with out of state guys, players commit to the coaches over the program.

Hail Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 9th, 2021, 8:34 am

Craig's connection with players made him a strong recruiter. And with those young men and the psyche of most in that age range, they often get recruited to a coach as opposed to a university. To me, it's a part of human nature. I wish Rollie wasn't leaving, but I wish him well wherever he ends up, even if at the U, if that's where he goes. Coach Odom will go and find a strong replacement and continue to build out the roster. I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

USU73
Has thanked: 0

Post by USU73 » April 9th, 2021, 8:40 am

TheAKAggie wrote:As much as we’d like to think players commit to USU and Logan, majority of the time especially with out of state guys, players commit to the coaches over the program.
It has been that way as long as I can remember. I go back to the LaDell Anderson and Dale Brown days. That's who brought in Shaler Halimon, Nate Williams and Marv Roberts to USU. After they got here they discovered USU and Logan.

In those days players stayed for four years. Nate being the exception and becoming the first to go hardship and forego his Senior year, that was a disappointment for the fans.

Since the season ended against Texas Tech we are in free fall. I hope Coach Odom can turn it around.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USU73 for the post:
AggiesForever

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 8:51 am

troutputz wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 7:27 am
Right you are! However, when a pretty good player from Montana comes to USU, and then leaves it hurts! Especially a guy like me that loves Montana in the summer only. Montana was the home of the greatest Aggie that ever played for us. It’s like we are hoping another player from Montana will be a great one from there. Sam was the greatest player we have had from Utah! With Sam it seems that his years with us just went by way to fast! With Estes his stay was short but his years last with us FOREVER!
I just realized how snarky my response was when it wasn’t meant to be. It does suck to lose a player like Rollie.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » April 9th, 2021, 9:52 am

I blame Smith more for this. When you have already betrayed your former team by going to their rival, the least you can do is not gut their roster as well to add insult to injury. Smith is completely dead to me now.

There should be a non-compete type clause in coaches contracts that when they leave they can’t recruit the players at the school they are leaving. The players can still transfer but just with that one restriction. They can’t go to the school that their old coach is at. Businesses do this all the time. Coaching is a business. For every player that follows the coach, the coach is personally liable for a large fee to paid to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1hipsterdoofus21

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 9th, 2021, 11:06 am

scotlandog wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:52 am
I blame Smith more for this. When you have already betrayed your former team by going to their rival, the least you can do is not gut their roster as well to add insult to injury. Smith is completely dead to me now.

There should be a non-compete type clause in coaches contracts that when they leave they can’t recruit the players at the school they are leaving. The players can still transfer but just with that one restriction. They can’t go to the school that their old coach is at. Businesses do this all the time. Coaching is a business. For every player that follows the coach, the coach is personally liable for a large fee to paid to the school.

That is a very sensible idea. It makes perfect sense (to quote Marty McFly). From one Scot to another....great post.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 9th, 2021, 11:14 am

I think players are going to start being recruited more like professional athletes in the upcoming years and college sports are going to be going through major changes in the next ten years. I also think teams will either need to adapt to changes or get left behind. The NCAA seems to be losing their footing from keeping students from being paid

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 11:14 am

scotlandog wrote:

I see wanting something like that, but we are hypocrites about this. Some of us were excited about Richie Riley because of the transfers he was landing and we were hoping he could bring them to USU.

I mean would you or anyone on here complain if it was announced that rj eytle rock was transferring from UMBC to Utah State to follow Odom? I know I wouldn't.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 9th, 2021, 1:03 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 7:34 am
As much as we’d like to think players commit to USU and Logan, majority of the time especially with out of state guys, players commit to the coaches over the program.
For those of us who as players have gone through coaching changes, AK is absolutely spot on.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 9th, 2021, 1:27 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 7:34 am
For those of us who as players have gone through coaching changes, AK is absolutely spot on.
Nah can't trust him. I need to change my opinion now

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 9th, 2021, 2:03 pm

scotlandog wrote:

Coaches and agents wouldn't agree to such clauses in their contracts.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » April 9th, 2021, 4:53 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Like I said coaching is a business and this is a common business practice. If the coach wants to pay the players scholarship then he can recruit that player with him when he leaves. But as it is, that player and that coach have made a commitment to the school, separately. The school has invested in those players and should be able to protect that investment in a standard, non-overreaching type of way that is similar to non-compete clauses.

The NCAA should also get on board with this type of idea to stop the mass transferring that is getting out of control. To those that say I am a hypocrite in my thinking, I would be totally fine if Odems old players don’t transfer here. There are a ton of players out there, limiting the filed by 2-3 players isn’t a huge deal but would likely decrease the poaching and number of transfers overall. So yes, I would be totally fine with these restrictions.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
AggieFBObsession

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 9th, 2021, 5:29 pm

scotlandog wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 4:53 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Like I said coaching is a business and this is a common business practice. If the coach wants to pay the players scholarship then he can recruit that player with him when he leaves. But as it is, that player and that coach have made a commitment to the school, separately. The school has invested in those players and should be able to protect that investment in a standard, non-overreaching type of way that is similar to non-compete clauses.

The NCAA should also get on board with this type of idea to stop the mass transferring that is getting out of control. To those that say I am a hypocrite in my thinking, I would be totally fine if Odems old players don’t transfer here. There are a ton of players out there, limiting the filed by 2-3 players isn’t a huge deal but would likely decrease the poaching and number of transfers overall. So yes, I would be totally fine with these restrictions.

Nah, the school's investment in them is one season at a time. We counsel out players all the time -- do you think we should be stuck with an underperformer for four years? I wouldn't if my livelihood were on the line. You can't have it both ways. I wish we weren't losing Rollie, but you can't lock players up. The world of the transfer portal is with us and isn't likely going back, if anything will get more player-favorable. We don't have to like it, but we better get used to it.

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 6:25 pm

OKAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 5:29 pm
scotlandog wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Nah, the school's investment in them is one season at a time. We counsel out players all the time -- do you think we should be stuck with an underperformer for four years? I wouldn't if my livelihood were on the line. You can't have it both ways. I wish we weren't losing Rollie, but you can't lock players up. The world of the transfer portal is with us and isn't likely going back, if anything will get more player-favorable. We don't have to like it, but we better get used to it.
Yep. It sucks to lose Rollie, but we wouldn't want to be forced to keep our end of the bench players for 4-5 years. We also benefitted in football with Anderson bringing Logan Bonner with him. And my fantasy besides Gal Gadot showing up at my door tonight is that RJ eytle rock transfers to USU to join Odom in Logan.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 9th, 2021, 6:39 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 6:25 pm
OKAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Yep. It sucks to lose Rollie, but we wouldn't want to be forced to keep our end of the bench players for 4-5 years. We also benefitted in football with Anderson bringing Logan Bonner with him. And my fantasy besides Gal Gadot showing up at my door tonight is that RJ eytle rock transfers to USU to join Odom in Logan.
Is this RJ Eytle player any good.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 7:08 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 6:39 pm
OKAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

UMBC's leading scorer and a guard who shoots better than Rollie. How would he translate to the MW is anyone's guess, but a guy with his track record would be a home run in the transfer portal.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 9th, 2021, 9:02 pm

April 9th, 2021, 7:08 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 6:39 pm
OKAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

UMBC's leading scorer and a guard who shoots better than Rollie. How would he translate to the MW is anyone's guess, but a guy with his track record would be a home run in the transfer portal.
I haven’t seen him play, but I’d suspect a D1 player who is the leading scorer on a team that won their conference regular season would probably be at least somewhat successful in any conference they play in- and it’s not like the mwc is the big 10.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 9th, 2021, 9:23 pm

OKAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

RJ Eytle-Rock on a team you like compares with a night with Gal Gadot? I like basketball and all, but....

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 9th, 2021, 9:31 pm

God, I'm old. I have absolutely no clue what a Gal Gadot is. Is it like an inflatable doll or what?
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiicval

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 9th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:31 pm
God, I'm old. I have absolutely no clue what a Gal Gadot is. Is it like an inflatable doll or what?

These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
AggiePTReal Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 9:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:23 pm
OKAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

RJ Eytle-Rock on a team you like compares with a night with Gal Gadot? I like basketball and all, but....
lol, well you know. Unfortunately as of now seeing USU win in the NCAA tournament is a fantasy. Hoping that changes under Odom.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2021, 9:21 am

Bank Shot wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 9:31 pm
Not according to the catalog I referenced.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
Bank ShotGaryTakeTheWheel

Locked Previous topicNext topic