New Unis?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Re: New Unis?

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 27th, 2021, 9:50 am

Jjoey52 wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 3:31 pm
rAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am
I would suspect that coming out of a year where from a budget perspective the athletic department needed to save money everywhere they could, and on top of that Nike experiencing a global supply chain disruption as a result of their inability to staff their production facilities, getting new uniforms for this year was not in the cards.
Nike needs to get a few more people from the Chinese concentration camp.
They just built a rail to Laos so they can expand it. Gotta love the Chinese playing fairly. :roll:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 27th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:43 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:40 pm
Aglicious wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:29 am
Have the uniforms worn well or stood up to 3 years of abuse? nope, at this point they look like some used uniforms from the 60's that we happened to come across in a dusty box down at Goodwill.
This thread has become a conversation with myself about my OCD, so I promise I will stop after this, but the quoted portion above really nailed it with the basketball uniforms.

I’m not crazy about a throwback being a primary uniform ever, but the biggest problem isn’t necessarily the throwback design, it’s the material and cut chosen for the uniforms. It’s like Sam chose throwback materials in addition to just a throwback design.

The uniforms look to be made of thicker and heavier material than most modern basketball uniforms, and have stitching rather than screen printing everywhere. They look heavy, appear to soak up sweat, go all bacon-neck, and you can see stitching fraying or coming apart in places if you look closely. Honestly, just a horrible choice by Sam on the material and cut of the uniforms. I am fine with a throwback design on a modern uniform, but the throwback design on a throwback uniform isn’t a good look and hasn’t aged well. Every other team has modern looking uniforms with screen printing and ours just stand out as weird.

I also think having throwbacks as the primary uniform is a bit on the nose and slightly awkward given the current lack of diversity on the team. They just look like uniforms a team full of white kids would wear, and, well, we have a team of mostly white kids.

I also don’t like that they don’t use the proprietary Utah State font or our logo really anywhere.

Okay, I’ll be done now. And I’ll never say another bad word about Sam.
The is an honest question and not trying to stir up controversy or take this thread to the sandbox. What in your mind would constitute diversity? Is it skin color or cultural background, life experiences etc? Certainly the team is made up of a bunch of white guys, but diversity in my opinion can be from where they come from as well. This team has players from England, Netherlands, Ukraine, Poland, Australia and Bahrain. Not knowing all college teams, but I would guess having players from 6 different countries outside the USA on 1 team would be rare or very few teams would have that.
Diversity is all of the things you list. We have a very diverse team in some ways. We lack diversity in other areas. This has been discussed on this board multiple times, and it’s been proven to be a topic that the board, collectively, does not handle very well.

I like that we have a team that is diverse in one way, but I’d also like it very much if the team became more diverse in other ways moving forward.

I’ll leave it there.

Now, back to why we can’t get some new unis up in this biznatch.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggie84025

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » October 28th, 2021, 5:56 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Diversity is all of the things you list. We have a very diverse team in some ways. We lack diversity in other areas. This has been discussed on this board multiple times, and it’s been proven to be a topic that the board, collectively, does not handle very well.

I like that we have a team that is diverse in one way, but I’d also like it very much if the team became more diverse in other ways moving forward.

I’ll leave it there.

so you want diverse diversity?

stang

Post by stang » October 28th, 2021, 6:39 am

From what I’ve been told, there were negotiations last summer about whether to renew with Nike or go a different direction. Adidas gave an offer that was a little bit more than Nike, but when they considered the cost of replacing multiple uniforms for every athlete in every sport, not to mention all the warmups, travel gear, clothing for staff, etc., it made better financial sense to stick with Nike.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 28th, 2021, 7:13 am

stang wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 6:39 am
From what I’ve been told, there were negotiations last summer about whether to renew with Nike or go a different direction. Adidas gave an offer that was a little bit more than Nike, but when they considered the cost of replacing multiple uniforms for every athlete in every sport, not to mention all the warmups, travel gear, clothing for staff, etc., it made better financial sense to stick with Nike.
I guess I don’t understand why these deals are set up such that the school is paying for uniforms. It sounds like these deals are really just free advertising in exchange for a product discount? These seem like a much better deal for apparel companies than the school.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 28th, 2021, 8:03 am

stang wrote:
Last summer was also probably not the greatest time financially to make a switch.

It’s disappointing that Adidas/UA conference mates seem to be treated much better.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 28th, 2021, 8:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 8:03 am
stang wrote:
Last summer was also probably not the greatest time financially to make a switch.

It’s disappointing that Adidas/UA conference mates seem to be treated much better.
But that's less on the company and more on the school. Whoever was handling the contract/negotiations is really the key individual here. The athletic brands are going to do as little as they can, and the impetus is on the school's end to be able to maximize the deal. Not saying we need to pull a name and find the person to whom we can assign blame, but the responsibility now and for future deals is all on us.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 28th, 2021, 9:32 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Have the uniforms worn well or stood up to 3 years of abuse? nope, at this point they look like some used uniforms from the 60's that we happened to come across in a dusty box down at Goodwill.
This thread has become a conversation with myself about my OCD, so I promise I will stop after this, but the quoted portion above really nailed it with the basketball uniforms.

I’m not crazy about a throwback being a primary uniform ever, but the biggest problem isn’t necessarily the throwback design, it’s the material and cut chosen for the uniforms. It’s like Sam chose throwback materials in addition to just a throwback design.

The uniforms look to be made of thicker and heavier material than most modern basketball uniforms, and have stitching rather than screen printing everywhere. They look heavy, appear to soak up sweat, go all bacon-neck, and you can see stitching fraying or coming apart in places if you look closely. Honestly, just a horrible choice by Sam on the material and cut of the uniforms. I am fine with a throwback design on a modern uniform, but the throwback design on a throwback uniform isn’t a good look and hasn’t aged well. Every other team has modern looking uniforms with screen printing and ours just stand out as weird.

I also think having throwbacks as the primary uniform is a bit on the nose and slightly awkward given the current lack of diversity on the team. They just look like uniforms a team full of white kids would wear, and, well, we have a team of mostly white kids.

I also don’t like that they don’t use the proprietary Utah State font or our logo really anywhere.

The is an honest question and not trying to stir up controversy or take this thread to the sandbox. What in your mind would constitute diversity? Is it skin color or cultural background, life experiences etc? Certainly the team is made up of a bunch of white guys, but diversity in my opinion can be from where they come from as well. This team has players from England, Netherlands, Ukraine, Poland, Australia and Bahrain. Not knowing all college teams, but I would guess having players from 6 different countries outside the USA on 1 team would be rare or very few teams would have that.

I’ll leave it there.

Listening to the pregame, Scotty mentioned that there were going to be all sorts of uniform combinations available this year. Not sure if that means some new uniforms or not, but he did mention it in pregame show.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 28th, 2021, 9:57 am

stang wrote:
Not to get to sandboxy, but that's too bad. Nike is the evil empire (Adidas and UA might be as well, but at least they're less open about it.)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 28th, 2021, 11:15 am

I know these figures are from 2019 but still.... On what planet should USU be able to order $25,000 in annual product from Nike while NMSU gets $90,000 in annual product from Adidas? Between football and mens basketball, one of these Aggies gets about 50 times the exposure than the other to a national audience. SO??? :headscratch: I have no clue how UNLV gets $1M from Nike either? Is it based on population base of where the school is located? Because I can tell you about 99.8% of the 2.5M people in Vegas don't care about UNLV.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 28th, 2021, 11:36 am

Isn't there some component of the Nike/Adidas/UA deals that involves how much consumer product is purchased? So the more of a brand that the fan base buys, the better the deal the school might get? I might be off-base on that, but thought I heard that once.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 28th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 9:32 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I’ll leave it there.

Listening to the pregame, Scotty mentioned that there were going to be all sorts of uniform combinations available this year. Not sure if that means some new uniforms or not, but he did mention it in pregame show.
Hopefully true!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 28th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I’ll leave it there.

He did mention that the players have stated that they would like to mix it up a bit more. Unfortunately that means just trying to piece together combos made of jerseys we already have. The black-white-black worn in Vegas was an example of this. I wonder if we even have enough of the pewter jerseys with the blue cap sleeves to see them make an appearance this season? The white, blue and pewter jersey we originally had from Nike in 2012 with the gradation pattern in the numbers and helmets have definitely been retired but I think everything else is still on the table as a possibility.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 28th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 3:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I’ll leave it there.

He did mention that the players have stated that they would like to mix it up a bit more. Unfortunately that means just trying to piece together combos made of jerseys we already have. The black-white-black worn in Vegas was an example of this. I wonder if we even have enough of the pewter jerseys with the blue cap sleeves to see them make an appearance this season? The white, blue and pewter jersey we originally had from Nike in 2012 with the gradation pattern in the numbers and helmets have definitely been retired but I think everything else is still on the table as a possibility.
That makes sense, I probably mis-understood it when I was listening to it.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 28th, 2021, 5:17 pm

The uniform decisions the school has made have bugged me separate and apart from just the designs and age of the current uniforms. Some examples.

(1) For football, we got the black uniforms. Don’t get me wrong, I think they look cool, but it’s not a primary school color and not something we can wear every game or even every other game. Why not spend the money on new primary sets instead when that is clearly a need?

(2) I hate the mixing and matching of old and new uniforms in football that have different patterns and cuts that clearly aren’t designed to go together. Like this year when we used the black pants from the blackout uniforms with our white tops that are a different pattern. We also did this a lot in 2018 when we nonsensically got new home uniforms but were stuck with the old road uniforms from prior years that were a different style and cut and weren’t designed to be worn together. They aren’t designed to be worn together, so don’t wear them together. This is obvious in HD broadcasts, and makes us look the kid wearing hand-me-downs. There’s nothing wrong with hand-me-downs in most circumstances, but when your athletic program is the face of your university to the world, you want to make sure you’re putting your best foot forward.

(3) In basketball, the same year we got the current retro unis we are wearing full-time, we got a separate set of retro unis that just have “State” written on the front of the uniform. Why in the blankety-blank did we need two sets of retro uniforms? If we are springing for two sets, why not a modern and retro set?

TL;DR, if we are really gonna be so cheap about uniforms, we need to make better decisions about the uniforms we actually do buy. Focus on having a solid, clean basic set of road and home uniforms that are in good condition before going crazy on alternates. I am all for cool alts, but not at the expense of having a solid basic set of new, clean base uniforms.

I really liked the initial batch of Nike rebrand uniforms we had in football from like 2012 to 2014. Our football uniforms since have been close to a total abortion.

I liked our basketball unis from the 2017-18, and 2018-19 seasons. I’ve not been a fan of our other basketball uniforms post-rebrand.

Uni game has been weak…. Hoping for some three stripe life in the future to hopefully improve that.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 28th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 3:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I’ll leave it there.

:puke:

If we get enough chicken-wire and duct tape to put them back together, maybe we could try to use the uniforms from the Merlin Olsen years to help save a little money?

Or maybe we could use those sweet ones we had in the mid-2000s where everyone’s last name was “Aggies.” That’ll save some money too.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » October 28th, 2021, 5:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 5:17 pm
The uniform decisions the school has made have bugged me separate and apart from just the designs and age of the current uniforms. Some examples.

(1) For football, we got the black uniforms. Don’t get me wrong, I think they look cool, but it’s not a primary school color and not something we can wear every game or even every other game. Why not spend the money on new primary sets instead when that is clearly a need?

(2) I hate the mixing and matching of old and new uniforms in football that have different patterns and cuts that clearly aren’t designed to go together. Like this year when we used the black pants from the blackout uniforms with our white tops that are a different pattern. We also did this a lot in 2018 when we nonsensically got new home uniforms but were stuck with the old road uniforms from prior years that were a different style and cut and weren’t designed to be worn together. They aren’t designed to be worn together, so don’t wear them together. This is obvious in HD broadcasts, and makes us look the kid wearing hand-me-downs. There’s nothing wrong with hand-me-downs in most circumstances, but when your athletic program is the face of your university to the world, you want to make sure you’re putting your best foot forward.

(3) In basketball, the same year we got the current retro unis we are wearing full-time, we got a separate set of retro unis that just have “State” written on the front of the uniform. Why in the blankety-blank did we need two sets of retro uniforms? If we are springing for two sets, why not a modern and retro set?

TL;DR, if we are really gonna be so cheap about uniforms, we need to make better decisions about the uniforms we actually do buy. Focus on having a solid, clean basic set of road and home uniforms that are in good condition before going crazy on alternates. I am all for cool alts, but not at the expense of having a solid basic set of new, clean base uniforms.

I really liked the initial batch of Nike rebrand uniforms we had in football from like 2012 to 2014. Our football uniforms since have been close to a total abortion.

I liked our basketball unis from the 2017-18, and 2018-19 seasons. I’ve not been a fan of our other basketball uniforms post-rebrand.

Uni game has been weak…. Hoping for some three stripe life in the future to hopefully improve that.
I wholeheartedly agree regarding the football uniforms. I think they have gotten progressively worse since we joined the MW.

That being said, I actually do like the current basketball uniform. I think it’s a more bold look than what we’ve had in the past, but I think they look sharp.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 28th, 2021, 6:35 pm

It appeared to me that the team was wearing new uniforms last night. At least I didn't notice any bacon necks on the uniforms.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 28th, 2021, 7:10 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:The uniform decisions the school has made have bugged me separate and apart from just the designs and age of the current uniforms. Some examples.

You’re wrong about Gary 1.0 and UTEP and NMSU, but you are spot on with your uniform take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » October 28th, 2021, 9:12 pm

I’m sure the Nike Aggie connection either moved on or was moved out if I remember right.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 29th, 2021, 9:30 am

WAAggie wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 9:12 pm
I’m sure the Nike Aggie connection either moved on or was moved out if I remember right.

The Nike connection was USU Alum Charlie Denson who was Nike brand president. He retired in 2014, shortly after he helped get USU the original Nike apparel deal in 2012. He's actually a part of a new company named Teneo now.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » October 29th, 2021, 11:09 pm

If they want some extra revenue to put toward jerseys, sell some!! Doesn’t have to be authentic Nike but if they put some jerseys in the campus store and locker 42 I’m sure they would sell.

These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post:
Hoot

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 30th, 2021, 5:13 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 11:09 pm
If they want some extra revenue to put toward jerseys, sell some!! Doesn’t have to be authentic Nike but if they put some jerseys in the campus store and locker 42 I’m sure they would sell.

The book store is selling the football jerseys (navy only) it’s mind boggling that they don’t sell basketball jerseys anymore.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » October 30th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Memphis 11.25$ million
UNLV already mentioned
Oregon $88 MILLION
There are so many other schools that have bigger nike contracts. I read on a older thread in 2014 that our nike deal was near 2 million. When does our deal end? Our we that broke as a program?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 30th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 9:30 pm
Memphis 11.25$ million
UNLV already mentioned
Oregon $88 MILLION
There are so many other schools that have bigger nike contracts. I read on a older thread in 2014 that our nike deal was near 2 million. When does our deal end? Our we that broke as a program?
We’ll never get a good deal with Nike. We’ll never be even their best property in Utah.

Need to switch to Adidas next time round.

LoveMyAggies

New Unis?

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 30th, 2021, 9:41 pm

https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/2018 ... olicy.aspx

Those incharge here should be bringing in $10M per year and ramp it up from there. (Just in media sponsorship)

Where is the spending report and fund raising reports??

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » October 31st, 2021, 12:39 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 9:40 pm
Notatrueaggie wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 9:30 pm
Memphis 11.25$ million
UNLV already mentioned
Oregon $88 MILLION
We’ll never get a good deal with Nike. We’ll never be even their best property in Utah.

Need to switch to Adidas next time round.
Memphis isn’t the best best team in Tennessee but they still get $12 million off of Nike? Our approach should be sticking to 3 jerseys (white, blue, black) or (white, blue, pewter). Or another solution would be going like an ole miss, Tennessee, Alabama type approach to uniforms is stuck to the same design and if you want to throw in a retro every couple years that’s great too

Locked Previous topicNext topic