"Wild Bill" Tryouts

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sagebrush_grows
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"Wild Bill" Tryouts

Post by sagebrush_grows » November 8th, 2011, 8:36 am

As we all know, "Wild" Bill Sprout retired at the end of last season. Bill's shenanigans were hilarious. More importantly, however, Bill's antics invigorated the home Aggie fan base, which was already one of the best crowds in college basketball.

With our first big home game on Friday, I'm concerned that there will be a bunch of "Wild Bill" posers trying to fill the void throughout the season and that they will unwittingly irritate the crowd, not energize it. I make this comment based on what I saw during the final Aggie home game last season where 15-ish people dressed up in previous "Wild Bill" costumes. This collection of “Wild Bills” did not distract the shooters, nor did they energize the crowd. In fact, it felt like the crowd got quieter during the opponents’ free throws. I don’t have an explanation for this. The crowd simply did not respond when there was more than one "Wild Bill."

In an effort to discourage numerous “Wild Bill” posers, I propose that "Wild" Bill Sprout hold an tryouts for the new "Wild Bill" (as the quasi-mascot of Utah State’s basketball crowd). It should be similar to the tryouts for the Big Blue mascot. I propose an equal opportunity tryout that is open to all students – men, women, tall, short, fat, thin, hairy, bald, etc. If fact, it may be best if the new "Wild Bill" looks nothing like Bill Sprout and has no ties to Bill and the other front-row regulars. I recommend the main attributes for choosing the next "Wild Bill" should be simple – (i) creativity and (ii) intensity. "Wild" Bill Sprout will legitimize the process by posting the winner on his Official Blog. The winner will then forego their real name during the remainder of their Utah State career, and be affectionately named "Wild Bill."

Wouldn't it be great if Utah State forever has some person that everybody calls "Wild Bill" and dresses in ridiculous costumes to distract opposing free throw shooters? Someone who knows Bill Sprout, please contact him about this idea. Have him set up a tryout for Wednesday or Thursday night. As part of the tryout, each person that’s trying out must come prepared to pose in two different costumes that they will use this year. Then coronate the new "Wild Bill" here on the Board and on the Wild Bill Official Blog, with the new "Wild Bill" appearing in public for the first time during the BYU game.

I'm serious about this idea. Please post any other suggestions you might have. Let’s make this happen.

Do you love the spot where the sagebrush grows?

Socrates2121

Re: "Wild Bill" Tryouts

Post by Socrates2121 » November 8th, 2011, 8:42 am

I think it's an awesome idea. Wild Bill will forever be at USU! Of course nobody would really replace Bill Sproat, but his legend could carry on and add just one more thing to the experience that is the Spectrum. Someone get Bill or ASUSU on this!

Bulls On Parade

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 8th, 2011, 8:44 am

sagebrush_grows wrote:With our first big home game on Friday, I'm concerned that there will be a bunch of "Wild Bill" posers trying to fill the void throughout the season and that they will unwittingly irritate the crowd, not energize it. I make this comment based on what I saw during the final Aggie home game last season where 15-ish people dressed up in previous "Wild Bill" costumes.
That was Bill's idea.
sagebrush_grows wrote:I propose an equal opportunity tryout that is open to all students – men, women, tall, short, fat, thin, hairy, bald, etc. If fact, it may be best if the new "Wild Bill" looks nothing like Bill Sprout and has no ties to Bill and the other front-row regulars.
I'm sure that a topless girl would distract the BYU players but I'm not sure how it would go over with everyone else.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 8th, 2011, 8:52 am

ProvoAggie wrote:I'm sure that a topless girl would distract the BYU players but I'm not sure how it would go over with everyone else.
I'm cool with it.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » November 8th, 2011, 8:52 am

sagebrush_grows wrote:With our first big home game on Friday, I'm concerned that there will be a bunch of "Wild Bill" posers trying to fill the void throughout the season and that they will unwittingly irritate the crowd, not energize it. I make this comment based on what I saw during the final Aggie home game last season where 15-ish people dressed up in previous "Wild Bill" costumes. This collection of “Wild Bills” did not distract the shooters, nor did they energize the crowd. In fact, it felt like the crowd got quieter during the opponents’ free throws. I don’t have an explanation for this. The crowd simply did not respond when there was more than one "Wild Bill.".
This is something that Bill asked us all to do. We each wore one of his old costumes as a kind of farewell tribute to Bill during his last game. It was a coordinated effort, not 15 random posers trying to be Wild Bill.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » November 8th, 2011, 8:57 am

isrred wrote:
sagebrush_grows wrote:With our first big home game on Friday, I'm concerned that there will be a bunch of "Wild Bill" posers trying to fill the void throughout the season and that they will unwittingly irritate the crowd, not energize it. I make this comment based on what I saw during the final Aggie home game last season where 15-ish people dressed up in previous "Wild Bill" costumes. This collection of “Wild Bills” did not distract the shooters, nor did they energize the crowd. In fact, it felt like the crowd got quieter during the opponents’ free throws. I don’t have an explanation for this. The crowd simply did not respond when there was more than one "Wild Bill.".
This is something that Bill asked us all to do. We each wore one of his old costumes as a kind of farewell tribute to Bill during his last game. It was a coordinated effort, not 15 random posers trying to be Wild Bill.
What he said. I think everyone loved it as a farewell to Bill.

Bulls On Parade

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 8th, 2011, 8:58 am

AgMac wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:I'm sure that a topless girl would distract the BYU players but I'm not sure how it would go over with everyone else.
I'm cool with it.
As long as she doesn't resemble Bill, of course.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » November 8th, 2011, 9:01 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
AgMac wrote:
I'm cool with it.
As long as she doesn't resemble Bill, of course.
I'd be cool with that too. Although you might have to travel down to Provo to find a girl who looks like Bill.

Bulls On Parade

sagebrush_grows

Post by sagebrush_grows » November 8th, 2011, 9:03 am

Socrates2121 wrote:
isrred wrote:
What he said. I think everyone loved it as a farewell to Bill.
It was a nice farewell to Bill. Obviously, it was a cooridnated effort (it sounds like Bill even directed it) becasue there were a bunch of Bill's former costumes. By discussing that part of the post, though, I think you're missing the point. Based on the poor crowd response to multiple "Wild Bills," we should simply designate one "Wild Bill" in an effort to maintain crowd intensity. Not to mention, I think it would be a great tradition to carry on.

Do you love the spot where the sagebrush grows?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 8th, 2011, 9:04 am

I think we should move on from Wild Bill. Having tryouts for another one just seems too forced.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 8th, 2011, 9:20 am

isrred wrote:
I thought it was awesome. I never thought I would miss seeing a large shirtless man, but I do miss Bill so far this year.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » November 8th, 2011, 9:32 am

What made Wild Bill great is that he was original. I don't think you need to have the tradition continue unless the man himself is going to be the one doing it. Some new student or students will come up with something new that will be just as fun and just as classic.

There have been numerous individuals or groups that have made their mark on an Aggie basketball game or season. I remember a group of students bringing pots and pans to a game and banging the crap out of them it was so loud and annoying. I remember all the funny looking girls that were the Ian Mcvey fan club. Evan's Entourage for Chad evans. The group of students that decide to get painted up. My point is the Spectrum Crowd is THE tradition and it will continue to be loud and crazy no even without the legendary antics of Wild Bill.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 8th, 2011, 10:20 am

Holy crap Bill should do this and make it a funny or die web-series. It has massive comedic potential.

Call it Wild Bill's Super Fan School or something.

Have five people working through challenges and elimination things and crap like that. Parody of many reality TV shows. It could be really funny.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 8th, 2011, 11:03 am

One thing you would have to do, to be like Bill, is you would have to hate BYU enough to stubbornly say that you would refuse to get on a BYU themed plane like Idaho's AD did with the Boise State plane and Bill would with a BYU plane. I have to admit, I would willingly get on a BYU plane in contrast to Bill.

darthspectrum

Post by darthspectrum » November 8th, 2011, 11:10 am

I enjoyed the 15 wild bills in that final game. It paid the proper respect to Wild Bill, a student who had done more for the reinvention and unity of the student section, save Tyler Olsen only.

TheWoodshed

Post by TheWoodshed » November 8th, 2011, 11:26 am

Personally, I like the idea of creating a lineage of "Wild Bill". Nobody is suggesting we try to replace or re-create Wild Bill, but I can't help but think how cool it would be for my son (who is 2) to one day go to USU and see "Wild Bill XVII". For example, UGA was the original Bulldog mascot for Georgia. When he passed they replaced him with UGA II, III, IV, etc. Wild Bill is not the official mascot of USU, but he is an identifiable part of the Spectrum Tradition.

BTW, Tyler Olsen can't hold a candle to Wild Bill in terms of recognition for USU and the Spectrum. The guy sold t-shirts, nothing more. ESPN never ran a story about the USU gameday shirts.

darthspectrum

Post by darthspectrum » November 8th, 2011, 11:42 am

TheWoodshed wrote:Personally, I like the idea of creating a lineage of "Wild Bill". Nobody is suggesting we try to replace or re-create Wild Bill, but I can't help but think how cool it would be for my son (who is 2) to one day go to USU and see "Wild Bill XVII". For example, UGA was the original Bulldog mascot for Georgia. When he passed they replaced him with UGA II, III, IV, etc. Wild Bill is not the official mascot of USU, but he is an identifiable part of the Spectrum Tradition.

BTW, Tyler Olsen can't hold a candle to Wild Bill in terms of recognition for USU and the Spectrum. The guy sold t-shirts, nothing more. ESPN never ran a story about the USU gameday shirts.
I won't disagree with you about what Wild Bill accomplished but Tyler Olsen, as weak as he may appear now, had the vision to bring the Spectrum to one unified force for good. The Spectrum through the 90's had been de-balled and he brought it out of that funk. Wild Bill is part of that legacy and has taken it to new heights. Hopefully the next generation will take it somewhere even more special.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 8th, 2011, 11:52 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:One thing you would have to do, to be like Bill, is you would have to hate BYU enough to stubbornly say that you would refuse to get on a BYU themed plane like Idaho's AD did with the Boise State plane and Bill would with a BYU plane. I have to admit, I would willingly get on a BYU plane in contrast to Bill.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 8th, 2011, 2:37 pm

I think whole idea of forcing another 'wild bill' is not a good idea. What wild bill did was be creative and bring something that wasn't standard during the time. Instead, we should carry on with the tradition of the Spectrum of continually coming up with new and creative things for opposing teams. I loved bill for what he has done during games and even outside of the spectrum. I loved the crew of front rowers before bill ever came down or when Fafner first made his appearance. A lot of good cheers that we still use came from that era. (Does anybody remember the regie theus look alike contest?) There has been a lot of good things in the past.

We already have a great tradition in the Spectrum of being creative and bringing new things. Don't force something that cant live up to the original. Let the new guys step up and bring their own flavor to the Spectrum. I know Bill would be honored that we appreciated him so much but i think he would say the same thing and tell us to keep doing what aggies have been doing for years now. Farewell Bill. I love still seeing you at the games.
Last edited by scotlandog on November 8th, 2011, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 8th, 2011, 2:45 pm

l.jpg

cache-aggie

Post by cache-aggie » November 8th, 2011, 3:34 pm

I know this is old, and I've posted it on another thread, but If the goal is to distract opposing free throw shooters, something like this should work very well.
And since we are all Aggies - there has to be something mixed in about agriculture. Like sheep, for instance.

Locked Previous topicNext topic