Sabau ghosted KSL sports zone at 1:30

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Coloraggie

Re: Sabau ghosted KSL sports zone at 1:30

Post by Coloraggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:47 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:40 pm
I may have misheard but I believe she just said the coaching staff diversity didn't match what was on the roster. I wonder if that's feedback from players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So its settled. Our new coach will be Craig Smith. His roster looked a lot like his coaching staff! LOL.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieflying_scotsman2.0

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:49 pm

Q: give me a birds eye view. Are you impressed or surprised by the candidates?

A: I didn't come here just to be good. We are going to be great. We want to be top 3 in the mwc in everything we do. Both programs must have a coach that helps student athletes succeed, will win, and will fill the spectrum. Pool is great even in women's where in the past the pool was not strong. My phone on Tuesday was literally full from voicemails and texts.

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:51 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:28 pm
"We've been overwhelmed with the quality of candidates who have reached out about this position"

"I want to thank Danny for the hard work and the incredible season we had and wish him the best of luck at Washington"

"My phone has been ringing off the hook"

"We want to find a coach who wants to be here because this is a special place"

Any other guesses as to what we learn in this interview??
Nailed it

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 29th, 2024, 2:51 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
I may have misheard but I believe she just said the coaching staff diversity didn't match what was on the roster. I wonder if that's feedback from players.

That's what I thought of as well, seemed like a callback to the player conversation

Not sent from Tapatalk

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:52 pm

She said her phone literally ran out of space from all the voicemails and stuff being left. She had to delete a bunch of stuff off her phone so it would accept more.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 29th, 2024, 2:52 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:44 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

She said those exact words. :disappointed:
If players are saying hey there's a bunch of white guys coaching and I don't feel like they get what we are going through and we want some people who have some shared experience growing up as a POC, then great. I'm fine with them looking to address that weakness on our staff. Especially since these coaches are mentors to students as much as X and O managers.

That's why I thought Craig Smith was silly for not retaining Spencer Nelson.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:52 pm

The days of locking a coach down like Stew are gone for USU this day and age. We are not guaranteed success and need to keep reaching to improve. We are only looking at top talent and individuals who have achieved and experienced that.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 29th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:07 pm
When someone asked her what was wrong, she said "nothing", in a really annoyed way that insinuated that she wanted some follow- up questions.
Scotty and Hans are company men through and through. They simp harder for whatever daddy Ryan smith say. Could care less if they are pissed

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:54 pm

TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:42 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
Because 10 years ago that topic would never be brought up. Now these admins have to cow-tow to a bunch of snowflakes who have been taught that the color of one's skin matters after we spent 150 years trying to move away from that. I am all for players having the ability to get paid and to stay or go based upon any reason they want to but to but knowing that if we hire a coach of a certain color that his staff decisions are going to have to be based on catering to a bunch of woke snowflakes so they don't at best transfer and at the worst refuse to play...It just makes the whole college athletics mess even less appealing if that's possible. Sorry about all the incorrect PC here but I've seen enough of the new college culture to read between the lines.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
signalwarIdahomeAggie

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:55 pm

BasketballAgg wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:39 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:38 pm
They're moving into the in person stage of interviews after doing the first round on zoom

That is absolutely ridiculous that it took A WEEK to get to the in person interviews.
Unless they are looking to interview somebody whose team is still playing.

AggiePharm

Post by AggiePharm » March 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm

She finished by saying that they want to hire someone that has already achieved a similar level of success we've had this year. 28 wins and an NCAA win is a huge accomplishment. But we should always be reaching and pushing for another level.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm

Hire Spencer! Other than that does anyone have a link?

#hornsup!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm

I understand it's an interview, any answers are going to be guarded, she's going to keep her cards close to the vest, and it's easy to say anything, but I get a encouraged listening to her.

She is not interested in hiring someone that will be a program manager. She wants someone that will take the program to the next level. She mentioned the importance of getting a better NCAAT seed specifically several times.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm

AggiePharm wrote:
Pillars in finding a new coach
1. MW style of offense and defense
2. Get to the tournament and not be an 8 seed
3. What student athletes need in a modern coach (roster preservation and community involvement) to sustain winning
4. Look at diversity and try to have a coaching staff that mirrors their roster makeup
I loved this answer. This rest was what you’d expect.

Doesn’t sound like we’re getting an announcement anytime soon.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 2:57 pm

Honestly a very good interview. There's obviously a lot of stuff she can't say at this point, but I thought she did a good job of saying what she can and inspiring some confidence.

Interesting that "leaks" were getting out before a single candidate had even been interviewed in person.

Hans nailed it at the end. We're going to lean a lot about our current leadership by the type of coach we hire here.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieImportAggieMetsJetsAggies

Forever-an-aggie

Post by Forever-an-aggie » March 29th, 2024, 2:57 pm

hickaggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:54 pm
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
Because 10 years ago that topic would never be brought up. Now these admins have to cow-tow to a bunch of snowflakes who have been taught that the color of one's skin matters after we spent 150 years trying to move away from that. I am all for players having the ability to get paid and to stay or go based upon any reason they want to but to but knowing that if we hire a coach of a certain color that his staff decisions are going to have to be based on catering to a bunch of woke snowflakes so they don't at best transfer and at the worst refuse to play...It just makes the whole college athletics mess even less appealing if that's possible. Sorry about all the incorrect PC here but I've seen enough of the new college culture to read between the lines.
Well at least your username is fitting. If you are that dense that you don’t understand the importance of diversity especially in the coaching staff of a sports team then I think you are what's called a sheep.
These users thanked the author Forever-an-aggie for the post (total 10):
ProvoAggieAggiefan33AggieInTucsontetonaggietrevordudetrueblooded_aggieAgezzzDwigtReal Life AggieGreenAg

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 29th, 2024, 2:58 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:55 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
They're moving into the in person stage of interviews after doing the first round on zoom

That is absolutely ridiculous that it took A WEEK to get to the in person interviews.
Unless they are looking to interview somebody whose team is still playing.
Must be Josh Schertz then :-)

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 2:58 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:56 pm
I understand it's an interview, any answers are going to be guarded, she's going to keep her cards close to the vest, and it's easy to say anything, but I get a encouraged listening to her.

She is not interested in hiring someone that will be a program manager. She wants someone that will take the program to the next level. She mentioned the importance of getting a better NCAAT seed specifically several times.
Agreed. The most promising thing is that I think she expressed several of the concerns that I have and that have been expressed on this board.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieImportAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 29th, 2024, 2:58 pm

bpd wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:20 pm
shoresy wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:15 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:13 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:11 pm
I don't disagree that she has a lot on her plate, but she is the CEO of a multimillion dollar dept. Have a minion call and say something, anything, we can't afford to alienate any Salt Lake media. Period. We struggle for press as is, blowing it two days in a row is NOT a good look.
This. There is a professional level of courtesy that needs to be shown. Even if it's your assistant canceling last minute.
Pretty much how I feel. Thing come up and things happen. She also has a whole staff of people who can communicate for her if those things happen.

Shoresy-Going in on the current AD. I'm shocked.
The Weber state boy who wouldn’t even let players keep their own jerseys would’ve been so much more professional!

Ask the football team how Mr professional Weber boy treated them

Remember when he campaign on being able to regain coaches due to loyalty? Good times. Another whiff from the more qualified, better AD Mr Weber
Last edited by Bullnamed_gus on March 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 29th, 2024, 2:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:46 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

As she was listing out various factors they’re looking for in a coach she said one of those was a coach that had a diverse coaching staff to match the diversity of rosters in this sport, which we didn’t really have before.

I’m sure that is player feedback and is spot on and a good thing to do at usu.
Should that philosophy not extend to the student body too? And the town of Logan? If you want a coach to feel rooted in the community, that coach will need a community that looks and thinks like him/ her and has similar life experiences. And the players don't just interact with the coaches, they interact with their fellow students. It seems to me that if USU wants to recruit a particular person for their athletic teams, they need to be recruiting similar people to the university.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
signalwar

Eutaw St. Aggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm

TrueAG wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

You should go back to sleep and try waking up on the other side of the bed...Chill
Has anyone on this forum hired a Division 1 men’s bball coach? I never have.

These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 4):
Aggiefan33tetonaggieflying_scotsman2.0GreenAg

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm

hickaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
Actually I remember these discussions when I was in school 25 years ago during the Stew era. Logan is a weird place, it doesn't hurt to make outsiders as comfortable as possible.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 3):
Aggiefan33Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0

AggiePharm

Post by AggiePharm » March 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm

ImportAggie wrote:
AggiePharm wrote:
3. What student athletes need in a modern coach (roster preservation and community involvement) to sustain winning
4. Look at diversity and try to have a coaching staff that mirrors their roster makeup

Agreed. That was the best answer of the whole interview. It was the only one that gave just a little bit of insight into what they are prioritizing and looking for. And I very much agree with it. Sure it was just AD-speak, but I'm encouraged.

The process may be taking longer than we have patience for, but it's more important to get it right than fast. She may have had a LOT of candidates to sift through for round 1 of interviews.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 29th, 2024, 3:00 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:Q: give me a birds eye view. Are you impressed or surprised by the candidates?

A: I didn't come here just to be good. We are going to be great. We want to be top 3 in the mwc in everything we do. Both programs must have a coach that helps student athletes succeed, will win, and will fill the spectrum. Pool is great even in women's where in the past the pool was not strong. My phone on Tuesday was literally full from voicemails and texts.

She mentioned also that some of their candidates are still coaching in the tournament. That certainly can slow things down.

These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
AggieBlues

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 3:00 pm

We complain about people mentioning a lack of diversity and how that is an area the program could improve, then wonder why coaches and players, specifically those not from Utah, don't want to stick around for more than a year or two.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 7):
LarryTheAggieAggiefan33MetsJetsAggiestrueblooded_aggieReal Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0StanfordAggie

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 3:01 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:00 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:Q: give me a birds eye view. Are you impressed or surprised by the candidates?

She mentioned also that some of their candidates are still coaching in the tournament. That certainly can slow things down.

I believe that answer was specifically geared toward the women's search. But I could be misremembering.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 3):
cvalBiocatAgUSUaggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2024, 3:02 pm

ImportAggie wrote:
AggiePharm wrote:

1 and 2 are fine 3 and 4 are part of a myriad of reasons that I become less and less able to relate to modern NCAA athletics. I know we can't have an old school coach in the NIL no rules era. I know that we have to bow down to the god of woke to keep the team from uprising. Everything she said was correct. It doesn't get me any more excited for next year nor does it make me want to put down any investment toward it. If it sounds like get off my lawn I guess that's what it probably is.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » March 29th, 2024, 3:02 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 3:01 pm
newhouse9 wrote:

I believe that answer was specifically geared toward the women's search. But I could be misremembering.
It was she referenced their sweet 16 games this weekend

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 29th, 2024, 3:02 pm

Forever-an-aggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

This upsets you? Why?
Well at least your username is fitting. If you are that dense that you don’t understand the importance of diversity especially in the coaching staff of a sports team then I think you are what's called a sheep.
I typed this same response out and then decided it wasn't worth the effort but I'm glad you did it haha

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 4):
Aggiefan33AggieInTucsonDwigtGreenAg

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 29th, 2024, 3:03 pm

AggiePharm wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm
ImportAggie wrote:
AggiePharm wrote:

Agreed. That was the best answer of the whole interview. It was the only one that gave just a little bit of insight into what they are prioritizing and looking for. And I very much agree with it. Sure it was just AD-speak, but I'm encouraged.

The process may be taking longer than we have patience for, but it's more important to get it right than fast. She may have had a LOT of candidates to sift through for round 1 of interviews.
I give a vote of confidence for Sabau. Sounds like her concerns and wants for the program mirror ours. I will trust who she hires. Not like my opinion or experience amounts to anything anyways - but I feel represented by our AD
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post (total 2):
ToastedFlakes52flying_scotsman2.0

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 29th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:46 pm
SLB wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

As she was listing out various factors they’re looking for in a coach she said one of those was a coach that had a diverse coaching staff to match the diversity of rosters in this sport, which we didn’t really have before.

I’m sure that is player feedback and is spot on and a good thing to do at usu.
Should that philosophy not extend to the student body too? And the town of Logan? If you want a coach to feel rooted in the community, that coach will need a community that looks and thinks like him/ her and has similar life experiences. And the players don't just interact with the coaches, they interact with their fellow students. It seems to me that if USU wants to recruit a particular person for their athletic teams, they need to be recruiting similar people to the university.
100%. USU would be a better university if it attracted more students of different races/religions/backgrounds.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
AgezzzGreenAg

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 29th, 2024, 3:04 pm

It was the am/pm thing,

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 29th, 2024, 3:05 pm

newhouse9 wrote:

I think it was the woman's coaching candidates that were still playing and not the men's, at least how i understood it.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
USUaggie

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » March 29th, 2024, 3:06 pm

In that case with her mentioning the women's position and us interviewing somebody who is still playing this weekend. We are interviewing somebody for the women's position from one of these teams; South Carolina, Indiana, Oregon St, Notre Dame, Iowa, Colorado, LSU, UCLA, Texas, Gonzaga, NC State, Stanford, USC, Baylor, UCONN, and Duke.

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » March 29th, 2024, 3:07 pm

IDK what everyone was expecting from this interview but I felt encouraged after listening to it.

The overreaction to what she has said is a bit weird. I’ll give her the benefit of any doubt until a hire has been made.
These users thanked the author USUstudent13 for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieAggiePTtjensen_25flying_scotsman2.0

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic