Queta’s NBA prospects

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utaggies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 38 times

Queta’s NBA prospects

Post by utaggies » April 15th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Aside from Queta’s position in mock drafts, here are the rules that govern his ability (and Sam’s) to return to USU to complete their collegiate eligibility:

A player loses his college eligibility if :
- he applies for the NBA draft without requesting an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation from the NBA
- he agrees verbally or in writing to be represented by a non-NBA certified agent
- he enters the NBA draft and does not take the appropriate steps to withdraw from the draft
- he enters the NBA draft and is drafted

The Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation may be requested upon the end of the collegiate season (including the post-season) but no later than April 11, 2019 and before early entry to the NBA draft is applied for.

The Undergraduate Advisory Committee is comprised of NBA executives and will do the following (the feedback is confidential to the player):
- identify whether the player is likely to be a lottery pick, i.e., one of the first 14 players drafted
- identify whether the player is likely to be drafted in the first round outside of the lottery pickes, i.e., drafted #15 to #30
- identify whether the player is likely to be drafted in the first half of the second round, i.e., drafted #31 to # 45
- identify whether the player is likely to be drafted in the second half of the second round, i.e., drafted #46 to # 60
- identify whether the player is unlikely to be drafted

The feedback from the Committee will be provided the player prior to April 21st NBA early-draft deadline. The player may request continual feedback from the committee up until the May 29th deadline for the player to withdraw from the draft and maintain his collegiate eligibility.

A player must have an agreement/contract with an NBA-certified agent before that agent may represent the player and the contract must be terminated before the player re-enrolls in college to resume his college career.

Once a contract with an NBA-certified agent is signed the agent may cover the expenses of a player and his family members for meals, lodging and transportation associated with combines and tryouts. These agent-incurred costs are not reimbursed the agent if the player removes his name from the draft.

The deadline to apply as an NBA early-entry player is April 21, 2019

April 22 to May 29: NBA teams may attend or conduct workouts with early-entry players

April 26 to May 3: invitations are made by teams to the NBA Combine or the G-League Elite camps. Those players who don’t receive a Combine invitation will be sent a questionnaire asking whether they’d be interested in participating in a G-League Elite Camp. The questionnaire is not considered to be an invitation to a camp.

May 12 to May 14: G-League Elite camps. This camp is for 40 of the best players who were not invited to the NBA Combine. The best of this lot will be invited to participate in the Combine after the G-League Elite Camp ends.

May 14 to May 19: NBA Combine. Around 60 players are invited but not all attend. Invitees are determined upon a vote of NBA executives.

May 29: post-combine draft withdrawal deadline. This is also the deadline for the player to notify his school’s AD in writing that he will return to play college ball.

June 10: deadline for a player to withdraw from the NBA draft. But his collegiate eligibility is forfeit after May 29.

June 20: NBA draft
These users liked this post from utaggies:
aggies22

utaggies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Queta’s NBA prospects

Post by utaggies » April 15th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Given the above as well as Queta’s notice of entering the draft we know the following:
- sometime before April 11 he requested an evaluation from the NBA’s Undergraduate Advisory Committee
- he received feedback from the committee before he threw his hat into the ring for the NBA draft
- he has hired an NBA-certified agent

The next step is to see if Queta is one of the 60 (or so) players invited to the NBA combine (unlikely gven all the mock draft lists I’ve seen). Following that it is to see if he is one of the 40 non-combine players invited to the G-League Elite Camp (likely). A few of those attending this camp will be invited to the NBA Combine. If he does well at either of those camps he will need to make a call on whether to withdraw from the draft or stay the course. If he is determined to play professionally, either in Europe, Asia, or the NBA (including the G-League) he will remain in the draft. If not, he’s got until May 29th to state that he will return to USU.

I give the chances 50/50 either way.

treesap32
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Queta’s NBA prospects

Post by treesap32 » April 16th, 2019, 7:02 am

He's gone.

I think the fact that he would be the first Portuguese NBA player will cause him to remain past all deadlines. He has a contingent of fans from Portugal who have been pumping him up all season about going to the NBA on Twitter. I have to believe that is playing a role here.

I hope he enters and does well at the combine and by some miracle gets drafted in the first round. Otherwise I think he's in for some disappointment over the next few years.

Worst case scenario, he stays in the draft past May 29 and doesn't even get drafted. Then he has to choose between the g league and overseas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic