Random Pet Peeve

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMan21
Posts: 1209
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by AgMan21 » September 12th, 2019, 9:45 am

ChicAggie wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:16 am
brownjeans wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:07 am
ChicAggie wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 8:38 am
Other driving pet peeves:

- Drivers who don't signal their intentions before turning or changing lanes

- Drivers who don't pay attention when the light changes and then get mad and flip you off when you give them the polite tap on the horn to alert them that the light has changed (the appropriate response is to get moving and give a polite "apology wave")
Drivers who take my signal as a challenge to quickly make claim to the land I intend to move to and cut me off or block me out by any means.
Oh my gosh! This! There is plenty of room in the lane I need to move to. I turn on my signal and then the car behind me starts closing the gap. I think it's a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of people. Usually I still just start moving into the lane as there is usually still the space to do so. I just end up with someone tailgating me breifly (I hope). I've been honked at, for doing this, but really they've got no right to.
Unexpectedly, when I lived in Los Angeles, drivers more often than not would keep the gap open or allow it to open even wider if I signaled to move over. In the Chicagoland area, I find it is quite the opposite. It seems that the vast majority of drivers rush to close the gap when you signal. Definitely a pet peeve.
The LA drivers had probably never seen a turn signal so they didn't know what to do. :)



AgMan21
Posts: 1209
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by AgMan21 » September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2563
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 239 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by ChicAggie » September 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:56 am
Apostrophes when somebody is using a plural word.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
sam tingey
2013 & 2016 FB Predict The Score Champion & 2017 & 2018 Bowl Pick'Em Champion
Posts: 1404
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by sam tingey » September 12th, 2019, 12:49 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:56 am
Apostrophe's when somebody is using a plural word.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FIFY
These users liked this post from sam tingey. Total Likes: 3
NVAggieQuackAttackAggieaggies22



NVAggie
Posts: 15332
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 390 times
Been liked: 319 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by NVAggie » September 12th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Image



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14961
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 304 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 12th, 2019, 8:02 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".
Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
You sound like a dog owner yourself.



User avatar
WAaggieFan
Posts: 3109
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Random Pet Peeve

Post by WAaggieFan » September 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".
Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
You sound like a dog owner yourself.
Actually it was. Owners should not have an apostrophe while their dog’s behavior should. Did I get that one right, quack? Or should dogs have been plural too? In which case I think it might be dogs’ behavior?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
frankiesaysrelax
Posts: 39
Joined: August 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 12th, 2019, 9:46 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".
Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
You sound like a dog owner yourself.
Actually it was. Owners should not have an apostrophe while their dog’s behavior should. Did I get that one right, quack? Or should dogs have been plural too? In which case I think it might be dogs’ behavior?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subaru’s the word was Subaru’s, but thanks for playing.



User avatar
WAaggieFan
Posts: 3109
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by WAaggieFan » September 13th, 2019, 6:57 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".
Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
You sound like a dog owner yourself.
Actually it was. Owners should not have an apostrophe while their dog’s behavior should. Did I get that one right, quack? Or should dogs have been plural too? In which case I think it might be dogs’ behavior?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subaru’s the word was Subaru’s, but thanks for playing.
Hmmm, didn’t see that word anywhere in what I quoted. But it’s really hard to keep track of where this thread is going! :cheers:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



AgMan21
Posts: 1209
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by AgMan21 » September 13th, 2019, 9:46 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:02 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".
Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
You sound like a dog owner yourself.
Haha no sorry. I actually didn't notice your use of quotation marks that was just a happy accident! I was thinking like when restaurants or grocery stores advertise their food as "fresh". I just don't mind animals on my lawn. Except for squirrels. They can burn in hell. But as long as owners clean up after them, I don't really care. I did grow up with a dog though so maybe that's why I don't care. And I grew up in Logan where almost everywhere has a green strip so our dog could just do his business there.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2563
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 239 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by ChicAggie » September 13th, 2019, 10:21 am

As long as we're picking nits, with very few exceptions (colons, for example) punctuation belongs inside the quotes -- even if you're just quoting a single word like "fresh."


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

AgMan21
Posts: 1209
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by AgMan21 » September 13th, 2019, 10:57 am

ChicAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
As long as we're picking nits, with very few exceptions (colons, for example) punctuation belongs inside the quotes -- even if you're just quoting a single word like "fresh."
As with most grammar rules in English it depends on where you are from and whether you were taught American English rules or not. As a rule of thumb in American English, you are correct. Periods and commas always go inside the quotation marks. However, traditionally, it depended on what you were quoting and whether the punctuation applies to only the quote or the entire sentence. I was taught by an English teacher that believed in traditional English rules and in my opinion it just makes more sense that the punctuation should be used in that way. Which, I suppose, means that I'm swimming against the current of modern grammar rules.

Since I don't really care one way or another, I'll do my best to switch to the modern usage. But I'm never giving up the oxford comma. You'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hand.
These users liked this post from AgMan21. Total Likes: 2
NVAggieChicAggie



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 497
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 13th, 2019, 11:12 am

AgMan21 wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:57 am
ChicAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
As long as we're picking nits, with very few exceptions (colons, for example) punctuation belongs inside the quotes -- even if you're just quoting a single word like "fresh."
As with most grammar rules in English it depends on where you are from and whether you were taught American English rules or not. As a rule of thumb in American English, you are correct. Periods and commas always go inside the quotation marks. However, traditionally, it depended on what you were quoting and whether the punctuation applies to only the quote or the entire sentence. I was taught by an English teacher that believed in traditional English rules and in my opinion it just makes more sense that the punctuation should be used in that way. Which, I suppose, means that I'm swimming against the current of modern grammar rules.

Since I don't really care one way or another, I'll do my best to switch to the modern usage. But I'm never giving up the oxford comma. You'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hand.
I don't understand how the oxford comma is even questionable. Clearly the best.
These users liked this post from thegreendalegelf:
AgMan21



User avatar
BigBlueDart
2017 FB Predict The Score Champion
Posts: 7837
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by BigBlueDart » September 13th, 2019, 12:30 pm

OXFORD COMMA RULES!!!!



User avatar
BigBlueDart
2017 FB Predict The Score Champion
Posts: 7837
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by BigBlueDart » September 13th, 2019, 12:37 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 12:30 pm
OXFORD COMMA RULES!!!!
You know what. I think I just found my poster to hold up at the next home game.



NVAggie
Posts: 15332
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 390 times
Been liked: 319 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by NVAggie » September 13th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm all about the Oxford comma. I don't want to live in a world where it doesn't exist.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5480
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 143 times
Contact:

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by TheAKAggie » September 13th, 2019, 8:27 pm

I always use the oxford comma at school, for work and even at home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from TheAKAggie:
sam tingey


Hail Aggies!

SeattleAg
Posts: 2075
Joined: September 9th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Location: The gloomy Northwest
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by SeattleAg » September 13th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:01 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
Love this! I don’t know when it happened but over the past 10 years every dog owner thinks I am just as enamored by their dog as they are. When did leashes become illegal? Every time I am biking in the mountains i come upon hikers with dogs loose. The dog will race up to me and whether it is aggressive or just curious or wants to play - I’m not interested. That’s why I didn’t bring a dog with me. They never can control their dog - but still refuse to leash it.

The whole taking a dump on your property - major annoyance. Just because your dog decides it’s time doesn’t give it the right to come over and pop a squat on my lawn. If you want a domestic pet - great, but be responsible. Your decision to be a pet owner shouldn’t affect my life. It’s just lazy and inconsiderate
I just plain hate dogs. My father hated dogs, and his father before him. I walk past without looking at them, no matter how much their owners try to get me to pet, appreciate, or otherwise acknowledge their loud, stinking existence. Woe be unto the dog that craps in my yard.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12974
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by brownjeans » September 13th, 2019, 11:41 pm

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."
-Bill Murray
These users liked this post from brownjeans:
Turtle



calaggie
Posts: 145
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:14 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by calaggie » September 14th, 2019, 10:50 am

I love dogs. It’s the dog owners that are the problem. If I have to hear one more dog owner tell me in hushed tones “he’s a rescue,” my head might explode. Like they’re mother Teresa for not going to a breeder or puppy mill.



User avatar
BearLakeMonster
Posts: 1676
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am
Location: The Caribbean of the Rockies
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by BearLakeMonster » September 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm

THEY'RE NOT YOUR G@/×! D&÷*# BABIES!

Treating a dog like a person just ruins a good dog by foisting your codependency on a confused little animal turning it into a reflection of your psycho self!

Every time I hear anyone say fur baby I want to puke!
These users liked this post from BearLakeMonster:
Zaggie07


"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 497
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm
THEY'RE NOT YOUR G@/×! D&÷*# BABIES!

Treating a dog like a person just ruins a good dog by foisting your codependency on a confused little animal turning it into a reflection of your psycho self!

Every time I hear anyone say fur baby I want to puke!
fur baby



User avatar
BearLakeMonster
Posts: 1676
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am
Location: The Caribbean of the Rockies
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by BearLakeMonster » September 14th, 2019, 9:24 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm
BearLakeMonster wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm
THEY'RE NOT YOUR G@/×! D&÷*# BABIES!

Treating a dog like a person just ruins a good dog by foisting your codependency on a confused little animal turning it into a reflection of your psycho self!

Every time I hear anyone say fur baby I want to puke!
fur baby
Image


"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14462
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 185 times
Contact:

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by treesap32 » September 16th, 2019, 8:52 am

Wow. Some pretty strong opinions on dogs in here.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2563
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 239 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by ChicAggie » September 16th, 2019, 10:25 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 11:12 am
AgMan21 wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:57 am
ChicAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
As long as we're picking nits, with very few exceptions (colons, for example) punctuation belongs inside the quotes -- even if you're just quoting a single word like "fresh."
As with most grammar rules in English it depends on where you are from and whether you were taught American English rules or not. As a rule of thumb in American English, you are correct. Periods and commas always go inside the quotation marks. However, traditionally, it depended on what you were quoting and whether the punctuation applies to only the quote or the entire sentence. I was taught by an English teacher that believed in traditional English rules and in my opinion it just makes more sense that the punctuation should be used in that way. Which, I suppose, means that I'm swimming against the current of modern grammar rules.

Since I don't really care one way or another, I'll do my best to switch to the modern usage. But I'm never giving up the oxford comma. You'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hand.
I don't understand how the oxford comma is even questionable. Clearly the best.
Indeed. When writing or editing, I always use the Oxford comma. If the writer I'm editing doesn't like it, F'em.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

oleblu111
Posts: 1133
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by oleblu111 » September 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Football etiquette is missing.

Children should be chaperoned, they should not roam around the west stadium club level. that is what happened. 5 monsters ruined much of the game for many of those in section 7 of the club seat area. Never sat down, moved to the rail blocking the view for many in attendance, screamed at folks below that where walking on the concourse throwing stuff at them.

If you want to leave your seat why not leave when there is a break in the action ? Then you return do the same thing. Do not kick the seat of those in front of you. When you send your kid to get the free snack's offered why not go less than 10 times in one game?



SeattleAg
Posts: 2075
Joined: September 9th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Location: The gloomy Northwest
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by SeattleAg » September 16th, 2019, 10:30 pm

For what it's worth, I love the Oxford comma as much as I hate dogs.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic