Neutral Football Games

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
UStateTim
Posts: 192
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 57 times

Neutral Football Games

Post by UStateTim » February 12th, 2020, 11:23 am

I just saw that BYU and N. Illinois are playing their 2024 game in a soccer stadium near Chicago. I've actually thought about this as an Aggie fan. What if we played a game at Rio Tinto Stadium? Would it be a way for us to get a home and "home" with P5 schools? Would Aggie fans fill the place? I don't know how big Rio Tinto is but it would be interesting to say the least.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
sstrasser



Intermeddler
Posts: 2027
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by Intermeddler » February 12th, 2020, 11:27 am

Rio Tinto is like 20,000 in capacity.



UStateTim
Posts: 192
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by UStateTim » February 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

Seat Geek Stadium in Chicago is also 20,000 in capacity



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2172
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 12th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Utah State played Memphis State in SLC in 1967. The stadium was sparsely occupied as there was little AGGIE fan support from SLC. As a matter of fact I could hear the contact and the players voices from my seat in then "Ute Stadium". I believe there would be only modest local (SLC) fan support for an AGGIE vs. ??? ootball game in SLC. Just look at the bust for the recently discontinued basketball round table in SLC . Interesting Idea, and for us "LOCAL" AGGIES, it would be nice, but most likely a finacnial failure
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9714
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5012 times
Been thanked: 2998 times
Contact:

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by aggies22 » February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm

It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
oleblu111



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2358
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by newhouse9 » February 12th, 2020, 1:37 pm

A whole mess of us travel to Logan for games now. But I'd rather driver further to watch a game in Logan anyday over SLC. But if we got good opponents with a neutral site, I'd attend for sure.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
sstrasser



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2785
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 549 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 12th, 2020, 1:43 pm

VEGAS. DO ONE IN VEGAS.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2358
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by newhouse9 » February 12th, 2020, 2:04 pm

UNLV is having good success recruiting to that new stadium!



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9714
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5012 times
Been thanked: 2998 times
Contact:

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by aggies22 » February 12th, 2020, 2:11 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:04 pm
UNLV is having good success recruiting to that new stadium!
UNLV might turn into a tough team as long as the coaching staff doesn't screw it up. The talent really flocked there this last recruiting cycle.



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12722
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 591 times
Been thanked: 707 times
Contact:

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by ProvoAggie » February 12th, 2020, 2:14 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:04 pm
UNLV is having good success recruiting to that new stadium!
Now they just have to get the Raiders to let them play there...
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/un ... e-1902411/



Full
Posts: 1782
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by Full » February 12th, 2020, 3:31 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:14 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:04 pm
UNLV is having good success recruiting to that new stadium!
Now they just have to get the Raiders to let them play there...
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/un ... e-1902411/
Venturing off topic. UNLV better keep its options open if things are already this rocky. Temple and the Eagles just came to an agreement.
I think they ended up paying less $2 million a year and $12 million up front, but still well over $1 million a year.

https://temple-news.com/temple-eagles- ... -the-linc/



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5519
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 12th, 2020, 3:33 pm

One night a few years ago, I had a weird dream that BYU wanted to change the football arrangement to playing them in Las Vegas every third year, similar to what they want for basketball and Salt Lake.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 9465
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 483 times
Been thanked: 350 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by ViAggie » February 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Yea UNLV had better not sell Sam Boyd Stadium for a new housing development just yet. They might find themselves having to play at Dixie State's "stadium"


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9714
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5012 times
Been thanked: 2998 times
Contact:

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by aggies22 » February 19th, 2020, 10:08 am

ViAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Yea UNLV had better not sell Sam Boyd Stadium for a new housing development just yet. They might find themselves having to play at Dixie State's "stadium"
I'd bet Dixies stadium is as big as Weber States.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2358
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by newhouse9 » February 19th, 2020, 10:38 am

Weber actually seats 7,000 more than Dixie (17,500 vs. 10,500). But the east stands are a great improvement to Dixie's facility. If they find any success by moving up, they could easily expand to end-zone seating. SUU only seats 8,500, so Dixie passed them already.



BobWilson
Posts: 775
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by BobWilson » February 20th, 2020, 11:05 am

The Memphis State game was not an Aggie idea. Memphis refused to play in a stadium of less than 25,000 seats. this was a year before new Romney was operational and old Romney was only 15,000.
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2172
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 20th, 2020, 11:15 am

Thank you Bob, I wasn't aware of the reason for playing Memphis State in SLC. As a Utah State student I drove from Logan to SLC for the Memphis/USU game. The game unfortunately was casually attended, yet it was a very exciting contest to watch and the level of contact was very elevated. Well worth the round trip drive to SLC from Logan.



mcaggie1
Posts: 2651
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by mcaggie1 » February 21st, 2020, 3:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm
It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
I have done it for 45 years. .....but I guess I am special. ;)
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78sstrasser



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9714
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5012 times
Been thanked: 2998 times
Contact:

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by aggies22 » February 21st, 2020, 6:31 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 3:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm
It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
I have done it for 45 years. .....but I guess I am special. ;)
You and the others that make that trip are definitely a dedicated group. I appreciate you all my Aggie brothers!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
sstrasser



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2172
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 24th, 2020, 12:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 6:31 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 3:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm
It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
I have done it for 45 years. .....but I guess I am special. ;)
You and the others that make that trip are definitely a dedicated group. I appreciate you all my Aggie brothers!
And many more AGGIES should be making the trip, even with the T V so available. Being there for the game is special, and nostalgia must be in the air. For me, every AGGIE home game is homecoming of sorts. If you look at a map of Utah, we're still on top!!!!!!!!!.... Always an AGGIE,,,always.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 4):
aggies22FloridaAggie13sstrasserdonlarson8



User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 105
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by sstrasser » February 27th, 2020, 12:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm
It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
It's 100 miles from my door to Maverick and at the games I have talked to several dozen "Aggies" making the drive from all over the Wasatch Front (Davis, Salt Lake and even Utah Counties). those that drive far are the most committed! It seems those that "walk" to the games are not. Go Aggies!!! A game in Sandy vs a P5 would be sold out.
These users thanked the author sstrasser for the post:
thegreendalegelf



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 721
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 504 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 27th, 2020, 1:20 pm

sstrasser wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 12:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm
It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
It's 100 miles from my door to Maverick and at the games I have talked to several dozen "Aggies" making the drive from all over the Wasatch Front (Davis, Salt Lake and even Utah Counties). those that drive far are the most committed! It seems those that "walk" to the games are not. Go Aggies!!! A game in Sandy vs a P5 would be sold out.
Yup I feel like the common complaint about poor attendance is that it is hard for the wasatch front aggies to drive through sardine, stay the night, deal with the commute, etc. Having one game in Salt Lake should be a good shot for the Wasatch Front Aggies to get a short trip and give the Cache Valley Aggies a chance to see what the other "half" lives like.
Last edited by thegreendalegelf on February 27th, 2020, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
sstrasser



Aggie19
Posts: 664
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 454 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Neutral Football Games

Post by Aggie19 » February 27th, 2020, 1:24 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:20 pm
sstrasser wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 12:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:59 pm
It's hard enough to get fans to come to a home game, let alone travel 90 miles for one.
It's 100 miles from my door to Maverick and at the games I have talked to several dozen "Aggies" making the drive from all over the Wasatch Front (Davis, Salt Lake and even Utah Counties). those that drive far are the most committed! It seems those that "walk" to the games are not. Go Aggies!!! A game in Sandy vs a P5 would be sold out.
Yup I feel like the comment complaint about poor attendance is that it is hard for the wasatch front aggies to drive through sardine, stay the night, deal with the commute, etc. Having one game in Salt Lake should be a good shot for the Wasatch Front Aggies to get a short trip and give the Cache Valley Aggies a chance to see what the other "half" lives like.
I like it because it would give us a chance to make inroads in the salt lake valley. It's easy to ignore us at the top of the state, harder to do when we're in the middle of their backyard.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfsstrasser


Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic