A sickening thought(BYU/USU related)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aceofspadeskb

A sickening thought(BYU/USU related)

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 23rd, 2015, 11:44 pm

The MW championship game is played at the home of the division winner with the highest playoff ranking at the end of the season. Looking at SDSU's schedule, I doubt they lose again. With the loss tonight, our best chance of hosting that game might require BYU to win out until our game with them and come in as a ranked team. Perhaps a convincing win against a ranked team at the end of the season might help us leapfrog SDSU. The thought of needing BYU to win though... yuck. :puke:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: A sickening thought(BYU/USU related)

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 23rd, 2015, 11:54 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:The MW championship game is played at the home of the division winner with the highest playoff ranking at the end of the season. Looking at SDSU's schedule, I doubt they lose again. With the loss tonight, our best chance of hosting that game might require BYU to win out until our game with them and come in as a ranked team. Perhaps a convincing win against a ranked team at the end of the season might help us leapfrog SDSU. The thought of needing BYU to win though... yuck. :puke:
Not worth it. I'll take our chances in San Diego.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Me too. I'm not too far from San Diego. Could be fun in December

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 25th, 2015, 8:49 pm

I disagree with this premise. I don't think BYU would have to do much at all, let alone win all their remaining games before losing to us to help us host the CCG. We're currently already AHEAD of SDSU in every ranking I am able to find even after losing to them on Friday:

Sagarin:
USU 58th (73.28 RATING)
SDSU 65th (70.59 RATING)

ESPN Power Index:
USU 64th (3.2 FPI)
SDSU 72nd (-0.1 FPI)

CBS Top 128
USU: 45th
SDSU: 75th

Our remaining SOS's are very close as well
USU: 102
SDSU: 97

Probability of winning out:
USU: 12%
SDSU: 7%

So basically, if USU wins out we're hosting the CCG in Romney. Period. No need to cheer for the zoobs at all. Ever.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » October 26th, 2015, 2:59 am

Thank you Sap, because as I was reading, I was almost starting to believe that rooting for BYU might actually be sensible. I can continue rooting for my second favorite team every week.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 26th, 2015, 6:47 am

Murkymerk wrote:Thank you Sap, because as I was reading, I was almost starting to believe that rooting for BYU might actually be sensible. I can continue rooting for my second favorite team every week.
Go your way and sin no more.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 26th, 2015, 7:52 am

treesap32 wrote:I disagree with this premise. I don't think BYU would have to do much at all, let alone win all their remaining games before losing to us to help us host the CCG. We're currently already AHEAD of SDSU in every ranking I am able to find even after losing to them on Friday:

Sagarin:
USU 58th (73.28 RATING)
SDSU 65th (70.59 RATING)

ESPN Power Index:
USU 64th (3.2 FPI)
SDSU 72nd (-0.1 FPI)

CBS Top 128
USU: 45th
SDSU: 75th

Our remaining SOS's are very close as well
USU: 102
SDSU: 97

Probability of winning out:
USU: 12%
SDSU: 7%

So basically, if USU wins out we're hosting the CCG in Romney. Period. No need to cheer for the zoobs at all. Ever.
Yeah, I agree today. When the post was written, rankings hadn't been updated yet. I'm a bit surprised we didn't fall further than we did.

Locked Previous topicNext topic