Thoseby & Igor gone?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Seldomseensmith
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thoseby & Igor gone?

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 10th, 2012, 8:38 am

Here's the 2012 transfer list compiled by Jeff Goodman of CBS sports. Thoseby & Igor are on it. So is Tyrell Corbin from West HS who played last year at UC Davis.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... nd-growing

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Thoseby & Igor gone?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2012, 8:49 am

13=13

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 10th, 2012, 8:56 am

Interesting. Former Aggie recruit/CSI player Matt Glover is on there as well.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... att-glover

23.5% from the field this season :shock:
Last edited by MetsJetsAggies on April 10th, 2012, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » April 10th, 2012, 8:58 am

6 players leaving Utah.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 10th, 2012, 9:04 am

Boise State is losing a couple of solid players

Ritte Van Vlaanderen

Post by Ritte Van Vlaanderen » April 10th, 2012, 9:05 am

tweet from Thoseby yesterday

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » April 10th, 2012, 9:17 am

Ritte Van Vlaanderen wrote:tweet from Thoseby yesterday
Is that a shoe brand?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2012, 9:22 am

I liked thoseby and wanted him to succeed here, but if he thinks the coaches are showing a lack of integrity for counseling him out then he needs a dose of reality. The coaches have as much or more on the line when it comes to success on the court. They lose their job if they don‘t win. Thoseby had every opportunity to earn another year with utah state, and he wasn‘t good enough. I hope he finds a good home.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 9:26 am

I really liked Thoseby. :( Wish he could've stayed around.

How in the world does this guy get information to create this list?

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 10th, 2012, 9:34 am

Interesting. Former Aggie recruit/CSI player Matt Glover is on there as well.
There are at least 2 other players on the list that we offered. Ben Mills from Colorado and Jordan Railey from Iowa State.

If any Aggie fans have a problem with the 7 footers(or close to) that we have on the roster now, or with future signee Shanks, they should take a look at Mills who we offered a few years ago around the DiLoretto period. I saw Mills play in one of Colorado's games this year. He was a fan favorite, but no offense to him, there is no way he belongs in D1 ball. It almost looked like he has some kind of physical problem. He's extremely skinny, moves very slow, and very rigid, very stiff. I checked his stats. He played in 7 games, a total of 21 minutes.

Railey's been in some trouble at Iowa State. We could've had that too.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 10th, 2012, 9:42 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:13=13
Is this the correct list of the 13 as it currently stands?

1. Reed
2. Bruneel
3. Medlin
4. Shaw
5. Lopez
6. Bair
7. Harris
8. Davis
9. Conner/Roland
10. Butterfield
11. Stone
12. Clifford
13. Bradshaw
EJ - walk-on

Where does Marvin Jean play into this equation? If he comes does Bruneel get shown the door or would Butterfield be on a non-athletic scholarship? Is Harris still in tow?

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » April 10th, 2012, 9:44 am

utaggies wrote:

1. Reed
2. Bruneel
3. Medlin
4. Shaw
5. Lopez
6. Bair
7. Harris
8. Davis
9. Conner/Roland
10. Butterfield
11. Stone
12. Clifford
13. Bradshaw
EJ - walk-on

Where does Marvin Jean play into this equation? If he comes does Bruneel get shown the door or would Butterfield be on a non-athletic scholarship? Is Harris still in tow?
Berger?

Nobody here knows anything.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 10th, 2012, 9:44 am

Not sure that you should put Conner or Roland on that list.

pharquar

Post by pharquar » April 10th, 2012, 9:47 am

With regard to the scholarship counting, it might be interesting to mention that Morgan Grim was on athletic scholarship the past two years. Try and explain that one. I'm willing to let Stew figure out the scholly situation. He always does.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 9:57 am

Here's an update to the yearly rosters that I keep in the recruits thread (that is embarrassingly out of date).

Ritte Van Vlaanderen

Post by Ritte Van Vlaanderen » April 10th, 2012, 10:08 am

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe Clifford is on a non-athletic scholarship and not one of the 13

trehogi74

Post by trehogi74 » April 10th, 2012, 10:13 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I liked thoseby and wanted him to succeed here, but if he thinks the coaches are showing a lack of integrity for counseling him out then he needs a dose of reality. The coaches have as much or more on the line when it comes to success on the court. They lose their job if they don‘t win. Thoseby had every opportunity to earn another year with utah state, and he wasn‘t good enough. I hope he finds a good home.
Just because coaches have a lot on the line doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. Look at Jeremy Lin for example. He is just the latest example not the exception by the way. I'm not saying Thoseby is right, but we don't know the behind the scenes story either. In his defense, I can see where he believes he should have received more playing time over Bruneel as he didn't overly impress. It's all about opportunity. Maybe he had his. Maybe he didn't. I'll most likely will never know.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2012, 10:26 am

Oh i agree they make mistakes and in this case thoseby wasn‘t the right choice, my point was if these coaches want to keep their job they need to make these tough adjustments. Scholarships are awarded on a yearly basis and based on performance and potential, thats what it boils down to.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 10:41 am

It's a harsh reality, but basketball scholarships are similar to regular academic scholarships. I was on scholarship at the business college while I was at Utah State, but I had to re-apply every year and there was no guarantee that I would be awarded the scholarship again. It was performance based.

That said, I feel bad for Thoseby. He seemed to do everything that was asked of him, and seems to be a great guy. I wish him only the best.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 10th, 2012, 10:45 am

I think Thoseby has the talent, but not the confidence, to play at this level. It seemed like he was shocked by the speed and competitiveness of D1 ball, and panicked somewhat when faced with any pressure at all. Maybe he could overcome that with time, but he couldn't this year.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 10:48 am

Seldomseensmith wrote:I think Thoseby has the talent, but not the confidence, to play at this level. It seemed like he was shocked by the speed and competitiveness of D1 ball, and panicked somewhat when faced with any pressure at all. Maybe he could overcome that with time, but he couldn't this year.
I agree with that assessment. I hope he finds a good situation from here on out where he can really shine.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 10th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Also interesting to see good ol' Shamburger on there for SJSU. He is headed to Hawaii correct?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » April 10th, 2012, 12:36 pm

utaggies wrote:

1. Reed
2. Bruneel
3. Medlin
4. Shaw
5. Lopez
6. Bair
7. Harris
8. Davis
9. Conner/Roland
10. Butterfield
11. Stone
12. Clifford
13. Bradshaw
EJ - walk-on

That list has a couple of problems -- let me try.
1. Reed - agreed
2. Clifford - agreed
3. Stone - agreed
4. Shaw - agreed
5. Lopez - agreed
6. Medlin - agreed
7. Bradshaw - agreed
8. Bair - agreed
9. Davis - agreed
10. Butterfield - agreed
Now for the interesting ones:
11. Berger - not on your list, but I think he stays
12. Connor/Roland - on your list and I think we take one of them.
13. SF - Do we keep Bruneel or take Marvin Jean (or in my dreams Hammork)
Extra - What about Harris - he doesn't have a year to sit out; will he walkon, etc.

I don't think Thoseby and Igor are the last 2 to be "counseled out", and yes our spring recruiting has sucked the last few years.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 10th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Aglicious wrote:Also interesting to see good ol' Shamburger on there for SJSU. He is headed to Hawaii correct?
That's what I read on the WAC board.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » April 10th, 2012, 12:40 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Oh i agree they make mistakes and in this case thoseby wasn‘t the right choice, my point was if these coaches want to keep their job they need to make these tough adjustments. Scholarships are awarded on a yearly basis and based on performance and potential, thats what it boils down to.
My point Hipster has always been, why sign such marginal players. There was nothing about Igor's or Thoseby's previous accolades that would indicate they had any chance of performing at this level. In almost 99.99% of the cases, If a kid can't excell at a lower level, he's not going to excell at a much higher level. Taking 2 or 3 chances every year in spring recruiting is a waste and creates a situation where "Integrity" is called into question as Thoseby just did. By the way, there is no way that both Bruneel and Berger can stay if we sign Jean or another SF. Harris is also a big question mark at this time.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 10th, 2012, 12:47 pm

USUBlue wrote:
I don't think Thoseby and Igor are the last 2 to be "counseled out", and yes our spring recruiting has sucked the last few years.
How do you think this Spring has been? any better? I only ask because I find it curious that we find ourselves fighting for recruits that have their only other offers from the likes of Coppin St., Norfolk St., and Morehead St. Is this the talent level we need or should we be setting our sights a little higher? :noidea:

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 10th, 2012, 1:00 pm

In the spring, are you saying 11=13. Not sign anyone?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » April 10th, 2012, 1:04 pm

WAAggie wrote:In the spring, are you saying 11=13. Not sign anyone?
Or, let a senior walkon like Grimm have an athletic scholarship for 1 year. Igor and Thoseby weren't even stars at their respective JC and Prep school levels -- now according to Thoseby, we lack integrity. OR --- let's recruit highly successful players at their previous lower levels.

Butterfield should be a good recruit -- a little undersized, but we'll see. What I don't understand is why we aren't recruiting potential NBA players like Fresno, Nevada, NMST, etc. Why can't we get a Hammork to come to USU?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Aglicious wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
How do you think this Spring has been? any better? I only ask because I find it curious that we find ourselves fighting for recruits that have their only other offers from the likes of Coppin St., Norfolk St., and Morehead St. Is this the talent level we need or should we be setting our sights a little higher? :noidea:
Butterfield had offers from:

* Hawaii (Offered)
* Pacific (Offered)
* San Jose State (Offered)
* UC Riverside (Offered)
* Utah (Offered)

With other PAC12 schools showing interest.

I'm also not sure who offers a player is a good indicator of how successful he will be at Utah State. Who offered Tai Wesley, Jaycee Carroll, Preston Medlin, Jared Quayle, and Gary Wilkinson just to name a few All WAC first teamers...

pharquar

Post by pharquar » April 10th, 2012, 1:20 pm

USUBlue wrote:
WAAggie wrote:In the spring, are you saying 11=13. Not sign anyone?
Or, let a senior walkon like Grimm have an athletic scholarship for 1 year.
Grim was on athletic scholarship the past 2 years.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » April 10th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Someone pointed out that even academic scholarships are re-newed each year. I think what makes not renewing a bball scholarhip so difficult is the lack of objective criteria. If I am on an academic, i know I have to maintain a 3.5 GPA or I will lose it. On a bball scholarship I could play my best, improve, but just not pan out to be the player that the coachers though I was. That makes it hard to accept. Because the coach mis-evaluated the player's talent the player is punished despite meeting the criteria they felt was necessary to maintain the scholarship.

That being said, it is my understanding that when a player doesn't have their scholarship renewed and is asked to leave the team, they STILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TO PLAY IF THEY TRANSFER. If that is accurate, the NCAA is a complete joke. "Student"-athletes are used and abused.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 1:27 pm

tkmad wrote:I think what makes not renewing a bball scholarhip so difficult is the lack of objective criteria. If I am on an academic, i know I have to maintain a 3.5 GPA or I will lose it.
That may be true for some types of academic scholarships, but it is not true for all of them. The college of business scholarships that I had while in school came from a pool of scholarships that were awarded new each year based on a number of criteria. There was no way to "keep" the scholarship you had by simply achieving a certain objective criteria. If you wished to get a scholarship for the coming year you had to re-apply, write an essay on why you felt you were deserving, and hope for the best. Yes, GPA definitely played a large factor in most of the scholarship awards, but not all of them. In fact, I know for a fact that there are scholarships at Utah State that are specifically geared towards students with moderate-level GPAs (higher GPAs are excluded). Others are just subjectively chosen by the donor.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 1:30 pm

tkmad wrote:\
That being said, it is my understanding that when a player doesn't have their scholarship renewed and is asked to leave the team, they STILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TO PLAY IF THEY TRANSFER. If that is accurate, the NCAA is a complete joke. "Student"-athletes are used and abused.
I agree that the transfer rule doesn't make much sense in these instances.

It's also important to realize that this is a two way street. There are plenty of examples where the player is the one leaving the coaching staff high and dry. James Walker, Antonio Bumpus, Steven Thornton....Players who commit and renege. It goes both ways.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » April 10th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I had one in the college of business as well for my first 2 years. It was pretty straight forward, laid out the criteria to keep it. I did receive one after that for years 3-4 that was more of a random selection by a donor, but once the scholarship was awarded, the criteria to keep it was straight forward. I can see the type you described as being less clear when awarded on an annual basis. Still a joke that they can't transfer and play somewhere else though. Losing my academic scholarship at USU doesn't inhibit me from going to Weber the following year if they were to award me one.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 10th, 2012, 1:37 pm

tkmad wrote:I had one in the college of business as well for my first 2 years. It was pretty straight forward, laid out the criteria to keep it. I did receive one after that for years 3-4 that was more of a random selection by a donor, but once the scholarship was awarded, the criteria to keep it was straight forward. I can see the type you described as being less clear when awarded on an annual basis. Still a joke that they can't transfer and play somewhere else though. Losing my academic scholarship at USU doesn't inhibit me from going to Weber the following year if they were to award me one.
I agree 100%.

Locked Previous topicNext topic