Paul George suffers terrible injury

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Paul George suffers terrible injury

Post by Dwigt » August 1st, 2014, 9:50 pm

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Paul George suffers terrible injury

Post by NVAggie » August 1st, 2014, 9:55 pm

The more I see these happen the less I am able to see them.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 1st, 2014, 9:56 pm

Will this be the end of playing our best pro in international competition? Wondering if teams could use "exclusive" contract language so their best players only play for them.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » August 1st, 2014, 10:00 pm

brownjeans wrote:Will this be the end of playing our best pro in international competition? Wondering if teams could use "exclusive" contract language so their best players only play for them.
I imagine we will still send the pro players but they will change the way the baskets are set up.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 1st, 2014, 10:04 pm

Dwigt wrote:
brownjeans wrote:Will this be the end of playing our best pro in international competition? Wondering if teams could use "exclusive" contract language so their best players only play for them.
I imagine we will still send the pro players but they will change the way the baskets are set up.
And when someone is injured other than by the basket stanchion?
Teams pay a ton of money to these guys and NBA money is guaranteed. It's a lot to risk to let them play for someone else part time.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » August 1st, 2014, 11:06 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
Teams pay a ton of money to these guys and NBA money is guaranteed. It's a lot to risk to let them play for someone else part time.
No different than Soccer where players play for their country all of the time. And some of those soccer players are FAR more "valuable" than the NBA guys

LelandAggie
RIP
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LelandAggie » August 2nd, 2014, 12:41 pm

These guys are playing in the summer anyways. They play a lot. Pickup and what not. Playing international games is not more dangerous. Plenty of guys from nba play for their national teams.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 2nd, 2014, 3:18 pm

isrred wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
No different than Soccer where players play for their country all of the time. And some of those soccer players are FAR more "valuable" than the NBA guys
The world of international soccer is very complex and there are many governing bodies with legal documents all over the place. In England alone there is the Premier League, the EPL, the FA, UEFA, and FIFA and I'm probably leaving some out.

This is why you see FIFA punishing Chelsea for the way it conducts a transfer. Or why you see FIFA suspending a player from professional contests for activities in an international contests (Suarez will miss matches for Liverpool because of his bite in the World Cup).

FIFA does not run the premier league, but there are agreements between FIFA and many professional leagues which grants FIFA powers to take such actions.

I might be wrong, but I don't' think FIBA has such power. FIBA is weak compared to the NBA and so is USA Basketball.

LelandAggie
RIP

Post by LelandAggie » August 2nd, 2014, 7:12 pm

brownjeans wrote:
isrred wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
The world of international soccer is very complex and there are many governing bodies with legal documents all over the place. In England alone there is the Premier League, the EPL, the FA, UEFA, and FIFA and I'm probably leaving some out.

This is why you see FIFA punishing Chelsea for the way it conducts a transfer. Or why you see FIFA suspending a player from professional contests for activities in an international contests (Suarez will miss matches for Liverpool because of his bite in the World Cup).

FIFA does not run the premier league, but there are agreements between FIFA and many professional leagues which grants FIFA powers to take such actions.

I might be wrong, but I don't' think FIBA has such power. FIBA is weak compared to the NBA and so is USA Basketball.
I'm gonna help you a little bit the Premier League and the EPL are the same thing. The FA is the governing body over all of soccer in England. UEFA is the governing body over soccer in Europe. FIFA is the world governing body. Doesn't change his point though.

LelandAggie
RIP

Post by LelandAggie » August 2nd, 2014, 7:21 pm

I'm sorry you're right as well with FIBA not being as powerful as the NBA.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 2nd, 2014, 8:28 pm

The biggest difference is that FIFA pays for injured players FIBA does not. FIFA is on the hook for Neymar's salary until he returns to action. The Pacer's will pay most if not all of George's salary.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » August 2nd, 2014, 8:53 pm

I believe insurance will pay Paul George's salary while he is injured. The Pacers may also get an injured player exception to sign another player.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 2nd, 2014, 9:18 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:I believe insurance will pay Paul George's salary while he is injured. The Pacers may also get an injured player exception to sign another player.
I am not so sure. They probably do have insurance for such things but it is NBA financed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11301 ... ompetition

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic