Need more signs!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jimbo

Need more signs!

Post by jimbo » November 20th, 2012, 12:30 pm

If I can drive the length of Cache Valley and not easily realize there's a huge football game this weekend, that is a complete failure.

Come on USU Athletics marketing. We need signs everywhere, banners across Main Street (if still legal, if not make it so) etc. Give incentives for businesses to do Aggie marketing in their special sales this week. Flood this town.

Yes, i am grateful for the creative ticketing ideas that have been put out, but even they have been marketed in limited quantities. However, cheaper tickets are not incentives to see the game against the worst team on our schedule this year.

Market the records that will be broken and the accomplishments this year.

BE PART OF HISTORY! :utah: :state:

Why is this so hard?

LiveLifeLoud
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need more signs!

Post by LiveLifeLoud » November 20th, 2012, 12:34 pm

^^THIS^^ Logan is a college town and you'd barely even know it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Every business/gov't building with a flagpole should be given a U-state flag to wave on game week. I'd love to see the big U-state flags like kalians at all the stores with the big flag poles like Wal-mart and Maceys.

They need one banner across main street that says GAME WEEK that can be reused over and over.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 20th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I haven't seen a single sign on campus notifying of the game either. This is similar to the St. Mary's basketball game..I talked to about 10 people about the game the day of (most of them other student athletes) and they hadn't even heard about the game that night! I think attendance would come if the average person who doesn't pay that much attention knew about it, but right now most of them don't even know.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Seriously? Sometimes I wonder if kkalian is the only one working up there!!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 20th, 2012, 12:51 pm

This is why our marketing team sucks.

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » November 20th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Maybe they need to give some high-school girls some markers and a big role of paper. They would make posters for free.

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » November 20th, 2012, 1:05 pm

We gave housing, dining, and the card office over 50 posters to hang up. We have a wire banner in the TSC as well.

Now i don't know if those departments got them up until last night or what.

Also.... I would love to get a huge flag for macey's. $700 for a 5'x8'

Maverick

Post by Maverick » November 20th, 2012, 1:06 pm

As I've said before: USU athletics has a marketing department?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm

kkalian311 wrote:We gave housing, dining, and the card office over 50 posters to hang up. We have a wire banner in the TSC as well.

Now i don't know if those departments got them up until last night or what.

Also.... I would love to get a huge flag for macey's. $700 for a 5'x8'
Do they know about this? They've always been good supporters of the Aggies, they might be game if they knew one existed.

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » November 20th, 2012, 1:24 pm

I dont think so.

If you want to get a hold of them tell them to order it through newenglandflagandbanner.com or they could try colonial flag based out of salt lake.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 20th, 2012, 1:36 pm

kkalian311 wrote:I dont think so.

If you want to get a hold of them tell them to order it through newenglandflagandbanner.com or they could try colonial flag based out of salt lake.

I would chip in money for a flag to fly over Macey's on game week! We should get their blessing and create a fund.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Does anyone have connections with the owner or manager or anybody that works there?

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 20th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Love the Macey's idea. Let's make it happen!

bleu

Post by bleu » November 20th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Maybe instead of a scholarship fund or donation to the BBSF we should start a campaign to raise money for marketing.

Aggiesun

Post by Aggiesun » November 20th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I have a few contacts at Macey's and could ask. 3rdGen knows their event coordinator well, so he could probably help out.

Do you think people would actually get the correlation between the flag and game week? I don't see that actually getting noticed. Also it would be really small next to their giant flag. Maybe I missed something.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » November 20th, 2012, 2:58 pm

swishh_15 wrote:I haven't seen a single sign on campus notifying of the game either. This is similar to the St. Mary's basketball game..I talked to about 10 people about the game the day of (most of them other student athletes) and they hadn't even heard about the game that night! I think attendance would come if the average person who doesn't pay that much attention knew about it, but right now most of them don't even know.
I cannot, simply cannot, imagine how ANY student is not aware that there is a game on any given night. Now, perhaps my dis-
belief is based on how I did things when I was a student. I paid attention to what was going on. We did, back in the day
(as the saying goes) have a student newspaper which had a sport section and published previews of games, and even mentioned
the dates and times. I subscribed to a regular newspaper. I listened to the radio. What, what, radio, what is that? What the
hell is wrong with those kids? The idea, the very idea, that an NCAA team from last year, a team we have faced for four years
due to the Bracket Busters series, a team which last year we beat on its home floor in spectacular fashion, is coming to town
and somehow nobody knows about it, is quite simply beyond me.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I would imagine a good percentage of students have already left town, or will be today.

And yes, the U-state flag would look small next to their giant flag, but maybe they'd be willing to help pay for a bigger one. I say bring it up to them. It would take many businesses in town raising the flags on game week to get it noticed though.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 20th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Ok, I admit I am NOT a business savvy guy, but this sounds like a good idea at face value. How about a campaign where the university provides appropriately sized flags to businesses all around the valley. In exchange for flying the flags on game week, USU would allow that business to sell tickets to the game. USU would then give a small kickback for each ticket sold at each business. This way, the product isn't devalued like Barnes is worried about(the ticket price isn't dropped), and Utah State Football would be plastered all over Logan. Perhaps, super-impose the words "GAME WEEK" below the Logo. Win, win.

Aggiesun

Post by Aggiesun » November 20th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Some Macey's flag facts for curious minds:

Flag Pole: 120 feet
Flag: 60 x 30 feet

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Son of a beast! That's a big flag. Yeah, something 5' by 8' would look silly next to that. Could we get some Relief Society somewhere to sew one 40' by 20' ?
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on November 20th, 2012, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 20th, 2012, 4:19 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Son of beast! That's a big flag. Yeah, something 5' by 8' would look silly next to that. Could we get some Relief Society somewhere to sew one 40' by 20' ?
let's have them sew one up for game day that says "GET TO THE DICK!"

Sent from my iPad

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » November 20th, 2012, 6:10 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Son of beast! That's a big flag. Yeah, something 5' by 8' would look silly next to that. Could we get some Relief Society somewhere to sew one 40' by 20' ?
let's have them sew one up for game day that says "GET TO THE DICK!"

Sent from my iPad

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

espnaggie

Post by espnaggie » November 20th, 2012, 6:36 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:Ok, I admit I am NOT a business savvy guy, but this sounds like a good idea at face value. How about a campaign where the university provides appropriately sized flags to businesses all around the valley. In exchange for flying the flags on game week, USU would allow that business to sell tickets to the game. USU would then give a small kickback for each ticket sold at each business. This way, the product isn't devalued like Barnes is worried about(the ticket price isn't dropped), and Utah State Football would be plastered all over Logan. Perhaps, super-impose the words "GAME WEEK" below the Logo. Win, win.
USU marketing contacted local businesses on main street about providing each business a new U-State or Bull Flag to fly in the windows of their local businesses on Game Day or before, I would know I was the one who contacted them, and as you can see by the amount of flags flying on main street you can see how successful I was, and how many businesses accepted our offer.

ROLL AGGIES!

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » November 20th, 2012, 6:38 pm

espnaggie wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:Ok, I admit I am NOT a business savvy guy, but this sounds like a good idea at face value. How about a campaign where the university provides appropriately sized flags to businesses all around the valley. In exchange for flying the flags on game week, USU would allow that business to sell tickets to the game. USU would then give a small kickback for each ticket sold at each business. This way, the product isn't devalued like Barnes is worried about(the ticket price isn't dropped), and Utah State Football would be plastered all over Logan. Perhaps, super-impose the words "GAME WEEK" below the Logo. Win, win.
USU marketing contacted local businesses on main street about providing each business a new U-State or Bull Flag to fly in the windows of their local businesses on Game Day or before, I would know I was the one who contacted them, and as you can see by the amount of flags flying on main street you can see how successful I was, and how many businesses accepted our offer.
Why would a local business turn this down?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

bleu

Post by bleu » November 20th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Aggiesun wrote:I have a few contacts at Macey's and could ask. 3rdGen knows their event coordinator well, so he could probably help out.

Do you think people would actually get the correlation between the flag and game week? I don't see that actually getting noticed. Also it would be really small next to their giant flag. Maybe I missed something.
I actually work at Maceys and I feel like they're one of the better local businesses when it comes to the University. It's all the businesses on Main Street and the resteraunts that need to help out. I really like the idea. Of giving them flags to display and posters. I know there were some banners with the new logo hanging on the light posts on Main Street for a while, that was pretty cool.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 20th, 2012, 6:50 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Son of a beast! That's a big flag. Yeah, something 5' by 8' would look silly next to that. Could we get some Relief Society somewhere to sew one 40' by 20' ?
I thought he was being funny with the 5'x8' mention or just giving an example of how expensive it is for something so small....we can't serious about flying that?

aggie23

Post by aggie23 » November 20th, 2012, 7:18 pm

espnaggie wrote:
No need for another flag at Maceys, simply a large banner on game day hanging over the front door (Just on game day). Also, the athletic dept. and ticket office needs to make a deal with Maceys to sale tickets at the service desk. On top of all of this they could do all sort of marketing there. In return USU could offer some sort of discounted or free ad spot at the game for Maceys if marketing dollars are tight. There are two reasons I single out Maceys:
• Maceys have always been great supporters, as with many business.
• The most important of all is traffic. A few years ago I did a study on grocers in Cache Valley. My findings were that Maceys did the majority of sales (around 40%-45%, and this included Wal-Mart). Even more, Maceys is a family store with dedicated shoppers, and that’s who we need buying tickets, family’s!

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Aglicious wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Son of a beast! That's a big flag. Yeah, something 5' by 8' would look silly next to that. Could we get some Relief Society somewhere to sew one 40' by 20' ?
I thought he was being funny with the 5'x8' mention or just giving an example of how expensive it is for something so small....we can't serious about flying that?
Yes. It was just telling how much for the size we got.

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » November 20th, 2012, 7:43 pm

espnaggie wrote:

So support the businesses that fly the colors. drink and dine at restaurants with Aggie stuff and premiums everywhere, and enjoy. The others will catch on if it fits their marketing needs and customer base. leaders, early adopters, followers, and footdraggers, or whatever it is from marketing class. :)

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 20th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I am concerned the AD has the wrong objective in mind. They want to try to sell out Romney. Kind of like Guy's strategy to be close in the 4th quarter to have a chance to win.

Their purpose should be simply to fill Romney. They are way over thinking it. Just fill Romney. I propose they let 2 people in for a single ticket. You avoid the problem of giving away "free" tickets or having to publish lower prices causing damage to your current price point and even upsetting those that have already purchased a ticket. Also, you add value for those that have already purchased by letting them bring someone they know. Additionally, since they are already purchasers of the product, they would be your best sales person as well to a potential future purchaser.

Just Fill Romney.

If we assume of the 17k at nmsu/texas state games 4k are students - we have a lot of seats to fill assuming most students are out of town. Let's assume only 1k students show up - that means the AD will need to sell on the order of 11k tickets to completely fill Romney. My hunch is they think they only need to sell 8k to fill Romney. Regardless, either quantity is substantial. If the baseline 13k that purchased a ticket for the nmsu/texas state game are allowed to bring in another person you have filled Romney.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » November 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I have two problems with the +1 tickets. First what happens with the reserved seating. all of a sudden people have their seats, but their friends have no place to sit besides away from their friends. The second is, we know people complain about ticket prices, so we say that you buy a ticket and get to bring someone. Well all of a sudden we have 25000 people buying tickets cause it's cheap, and their plus one is useless. Now this solves the problem of selling out, but there are going to be a bunch of pi**ed off people that were planning on getting in because they were told they could, and they show up and get turned away. I believe that would hurt us more than what we have now.

usublue20

Post by usublue20 » November 20th, 2012, 9:49 pm

espnaggie wrote:

I own a main street business, I was never offered a flag. I purchased my own flag from the bookstore and have put it up along with blue and white pennant flags for every game home. I don't undersdtand why other businesses in town do not do the same. The only thing I can think of is that we have a town full of closet zoobies. I have talked to a few of my patients that commented on the flag. One in particular from Okalahoma told me how every business in town flys a red flag and the town pretty much shuts down for game day. I would be happy for just half of that here.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2012, 10:17 pm

I wish more businesses would follow your lead. It would only help business to embrace the university and students even if you‘re a zoob at heart.

TheWoodshed

Post by TheWoodshed » November 20th, 2012, 10:24 pm

How in the world does a 5' x 8' flag cost $700? Does that seem really steep to anyone else?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Locked Previous topicNext topic