Please do some homework

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Please do some homework

Post by GeoAg » February 6th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Kyle Goon claims in his most recent report the following...

"There aren’t any recruits with three- or four-star rankings, but there are likely to be a few future stars..."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/557 ... s.html.csp

I submit the following list of 3 star recruits in this class:

Mosely - 3 star on ESPN
Garretson - 3 star on Rivals
Morris - 3 star on Rivals
Harris - 3 star on 247
Evans - 3 star on 247
Butler - 3 star on 247

Please get your facts straight Kyle. It is important to me because we are still fighting an uphill battle with perception when it comes to our program. Writing inaccurate off-hand information that can be seen as negative doesn't help.

I expect more from you.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AggieAddict

Re: Please do some homework

Post by AggieAddict » February 6th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I thought the same thing after reading his article. He is so ill-informed on everything. He seems to do very little research for any of his articles.

diehardaggiefan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by diehardaggiefan » February 6th, 2013, 6:35 pm

We need Goon to step up. He doesn't have to be an advocate for us, but he needs to speak the truth about us. If the people covering us will not give us proper respect, we are in trouble. Hope Goon learns from this and does better in the future. We were spoiled to have Tony Jones.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » February 6th, 2013, 6:55 pm

GeoAg wrote:Kyle Goon claims in his most recent report the following...

"There aren’t any recruits with three- or four-star rankings, but there are likely to be a few future stars..."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/557 ... s.html.csp

I submit the following list of 3 star recruits in this class:

Mosely - 3 star on ESPN
Garretson - 3 star on Rivals
Morris - 3 star on Rivals
Harris - 3 star on 247
Evans - 3 star on 247
Butler - 3 star on 247

Please get your facts straight Kyle. It is important to me because we are still fighting an uphill battle with perception when it comes to our program. Writing inaccurate off-hand information that can be seen as negative doesn't help.

I expect more from you.
+10000. Goon really needs to step it up. He is a very lazy and sloppy beat writer. :wtf:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 6th, 2013, 7:10 pm

I would email him or tweet him so he can fix it.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » February 6th, 2013, 7:24 pm

He's just copying and pasting from scout. FWIW I went to the chat on the Deseret News with Brandon Gurney and he was pretty high on this class. Said that he thought it was as good as any we've had. I told him that 2011 would be a tough one to beat, but he said to give it a chance due to some of the guys coming in. Whether that means anything or not is to be seen, but it is sad when a guy that mainly covers BYU knows more about the possible future stars than an Aggie beat writer does.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 6th, 2013, 7:38 pm

From twitter:

Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon
Utah State probably did miss out on a few guys who were program elevators. Missed a few 3-stars, but not by much. #USU #Aggies

USUStats @usustats
@kylegoon We also signed several 3-star recruits today. May want to update your story. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25869&view=unread#unread

1m Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon
@usustats I meant consensus, but I will update the story to reflect your concern.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 6th, 2013, 8:31 pm

The story has been updated. Thanks for the update Kyle.

Just so you know folks...consensus has no meaning in recruiting rankings. Guess how many 'consensus' 3-star recruits the one true team signed today? 5? 7? No...just 1.

Glad for the update, but wow, what an airball.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

superaggie

Post by superaggie » February 6th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I think Kyle Goon did a great job today. He was wrong about the amount of 3 stars, but his article was upbeat about the signing class. He even updated his story when tree sap informed him of his mistake. That is awesome that he was willing to do that. The coverage of USU signing day was unpresidented in my life time. I think Kyle, Matt Glade, and the Des News did a great job today. Kyle Goon's coverage has been good and it is a heck of alot better than the silence that used to come out of the SL Media pre Tony Jones.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 6th, 2013, 9:21 pm

What is a consensus [number]-star recruit? Seems to me that the rating people are so inconsistent that they come to a consensus on very few players regarding of the number of stars.

galileo

Post by galileo » February 6th, 2013, 9:31 pm

i did a little research and found this on a washington state site about the various star rating systems

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-football- ... igning-day

it appears from most of my research that consensus when it comes to recruiting is not that frequent of a term used and is only really used when you are looking at the highest level recruits. according to 247 composite ranking we landed 3 3-stars just saying

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 6th, 2013, 11:12 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:He's just copying and pasting from scout. FWIW I went to the chat on the Deseret News with Brandon Gurney and he was pretty high on this class. Said that he thought it was as good as any we've had. I told him that 2011 would be a tough one to beat, but he said to give it a chance due to some of the guys coming in. Whether that means anything or not is to be seen, but it is sad when a guy that mainly covers BYU knows more about the possible future stars than an Aggie beat writer does.
Too bad he gave us the lowest grade of the in-state schools. He also mentioned that we didn't go after many "national recruits" (whatever that means) and made it sound like we picked up some nice local talent but that was about it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic