My opinion on the "Are byu and USU rivals?" debate....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 24th, 2015, 2:34 pm

I, like most Aggie fans, see byu as our biggest rival. They're the team I want to beat the most, and victory against them is sweeter than anybody else.

I know many people in their fan base think we're rivals, and many just consider us as an "in-state game". Either way I really don't care. In fact I kind of like it how they still try and look down upon us. The attitude of the fans usually reflects the attitude given by the team. And if they think that they can treat this as "any other game" or believe that they will win because they are "big brother," they have another thing coming.

Gone are the days where byu can show up and beat us on talent alone. If they don't bring their A-Game, that's fine, because WE WILL. If they don't prepare for and play to the top of their abilities, mark my words, we will beat them.

So many of them don't see us as a rival yet. Good. Expect more games like what we saw last year. #HistoryRepeatsItself.

:utah: :state: :rock:

astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Re: My opinion on the "Are byu and USU rivals?" debate....

Post by astroman31 » November 24th, 2015, 2:45 pm

For us, yes of course. For them, they deny it but last year's game changed all that. Case in point: going into last year's game, all the Zoobs talked about were the Utes. It is crazy to have a pre game press conference and all Bronco wanted to talk about was a team they were not facing on Saturday. Our game last year changed all that, as evidenced by the cougarboard. Each day features a new meltdown thread discussing that very game, a streak approaching 14 months. It has been the gift that keeps giving. Thank you Matt Wells.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 24th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Don't care.

Regulator of Class

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 24th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Nope no rivalry to see here...

[youtube][/youtube]

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 24th, 2015, 3:02 pm

I don't like the fact that the term "rivalry" usually causes fans to treat others poorly. There's a way to enjoy a rivalry and not be a jerk.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 24th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Don't care. Would rather play Boise or Air Force this game every year.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 24th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Aggies are baleeady owl eligible. I haven't lived in Utah for 20 years so I couldn't care less about Utah instate bragging rights. This game has no bearing on the mountain division championship. I'll watch during breaks in Apple Cup action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 24th, 2015, 3:44 pm

It depends on how you define "rival". We are not their #1 rival and they are our #1.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 24th, 2015, 5:33 pm

I used to care, but not any more. If we never played them again it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Remember, THEY need this game more than we do. THEY needed us to fill an open spot on their schedule, THEY need teams to play because THEY aren't in a conference. WE could have easily added Idaho, NMSU, or someone else to beat up on early in the year. BUT I'd rather beat ybu than either of the aforementioned, so... :noidea:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 24th, 2015, 6:55 pm

Rivalry or no rivalry, I think it definitely matters during recruiting time...

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 24th, 2015, 9:38 pm

We need to beat BYU because:
1. Most of us hate them passionately. (Something one can almost always bond with a fellow Aggie is: "How much we hate BYU".)
2. In-state recruiting.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 24th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Right now, I don't think we have a rival. I think certain elements have to be in play for a rivalry; geographic proximity, same conference, competitive series, institutional similarity, "history". Our unsettled conference situation from 1961 to 2012 really hurt the development of a rivalry. The Utah rivalry has been totally destroyed on the Utah end. They're in a different conference, dominate the recent and long term series, and refuse to engage going forward. BYU lacks the conference affiliation angle, and they refuse to acknowledge that it is a rivalry, even though they schedule it like it is. If we keep winning at least 50% of the time for the next ten years or so, that MIGHT change. The MWC has tried to force a Wyoming - USU rivalry, but that just doesn't seem like a good fit.

In the future, I can see USU - CSU turning into a good rivalry. Wyoming is their traditional rival, but the series has been so lopsided for so many years that it seems to be fading. On the other hand, the USU - CSU games have been really close the last few years. CSU sold out the USU game in Fort Collins last year. They have an Aggie football player painted in a mural in their endzone facility. We're really very similar institutions academically, and from neighboring states.

Just my two cents worth.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 24th, 2015, 10:53 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:Aggies are baleeady owl eligible. I haven't lived in Utah for 20 years so I couldn't care less about Utah instate bragging rights. This game has no bearing on the mountain division championship. I'll watch during breaks in Apple Cup action.

Which oddly enough has no bearing on the North Division championship.

Hail Aggies!

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 24th, 2015, 11:34 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:Aggies are baleeady owl eligible. I haven't lived in Utah for 20 years so I couldn't care less about Utah instate bragging rights. This game has no bearing on the mountain division championship. I'll watch during breaks in Apple Cup action.

Nope, but I'm a Washingtonian and no one's talking about any cougars other than the crimson kind around here.

Murkymerk

Re: My opinion on the

Post by Murkymerk » November 25th, 2015, 6:41 am

I will be at the Apple Cup. Go Huskies! Then the next day I will watch the Aggie game live on TV.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 25th, 2015, 9:03 am

LKGates wrote:Right now, I don't think we have a rival. I think certain elements have to be in play for a rivalry; geographic proximity, same conference, competitive series, institutional similarity, "history". Our unsettled conference situation from 1961 to 2012 really hurt the development of a rivalry. The Utah rivalry has been totally destroyed on the Utah end. They're in a different conference, dominate the recent and long term series, and refuse to engage going forward. BYU lacks the conference affiliation angle, and they refuse to acknowledge that it is a rivalry, even though they schedule it like it is. If we keep winning at least 50% of the time for the next ten years or so, that MIGHT change. The MWC has tried to force a Wyoming - USU rivalry, but that just doesn't seem like a good fit.

In the future, I can see USU - CSU turning into a good rivalry. Wyoming is their traditional rival, but the series has been so lopsided for so many years that it seems to be fading. On the other hand, the USU - CSU games have been really close the last few years. CSU sold out the USU game in Fort Collins last year. They have an Aggie football player painted in a mural in their endzone facility. We're really very similar institutions academically, and from neighboring states.

Just my two cents worth.
I think this pretty much nails it.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 25th, 2015, 9:39 am

Murkymerk wrote:

I will be at the Apple Cup. Go Huskies! Then the next day I will watch the Aggie game live on TV.
Crap. Now I guess I have no excuse not to watch the game except that I'm just not a real fan.

Coloraggie

Re: My opinion on the

Post by Coloraggie » November 25th, 2015, 11:35 am

WAaggieFan wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Nope, but I'm a Washingtonian and no one's talking about any cougars other than the crimson kind around here.

Getting my undergrad from USU and grad degree from UW I have just learned to cheer against Cougars as a whole. Sorry Houston and all you older ladies I just can't cheer for you.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » November 25th, 2015, 4:28 pm

The problem with he question and this "debate" is that there are far too many fans, particularly BYU fans, (in which category I include one Richard "DICK" Harmon) who think the history of the series began in 1972 when LaVell Edwards was hired as HC at BYU. From the time the earth was flat (that is, when the schools began playing football against each other) until 1974, the record was (as best I can find) 30-17-3 in favor of USU. As an aside, as someone who was at USU from '68 to '72, I recall no sentiment on the part of Aggie fans to get BYU off the schedule as not being worthy to play us, in stark contrast to the attitude of BYU fans in the later era, and, with some, continuing today. It took Edwards (who well deserves to have his name on the BYU stadium) 2 or 3 years to start beating USU, but when he did, he did so regularly and at times (despite the denials) ran up the score when he could. Until about 5 years ago, USU football was, to be honest, pathetic. There are, in other words, at least 2 generations of BYU fans who have known nothing else. But it should not be forgotten that before then, the same could have been said about BYU. However, while the worm may not have completely turned, I think the results of the last 5 years show that USU is on the rise, and can no longer be considered unworthy (except by people such as the aforementioned dick) of playing BYU. For now, at least, in my view, parity has been achieved. Whether that means we win on Saturday or not, BYU is no longer the superior team. It could go either way, though, as always, I'm nervous about this game.

All that verbal flatulence having been expelled, I'll conclude by saying I personally would rather not have BYU on the schedule ever again, not because they are not a decent, even good, team, but simply because in my view given our conference affiliation, we have other fish to fry. If we have to play BYU, OK, but I now have more interest in Boise, Colorado State and Wyoming as our "natural" rivals.

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » November 25th, 2015, 4:37 pm

BYU is a rival. Utah is a rival. Boise is a rival. Wyoming is a rival. As for what game is most important, that is completely dependent on the season and circumstances surrounding the game.

At the beginning of the season I would've told you the Boise game was our most important rivalry game. Now, 13 weeks into it with USU at 6-5(5-3) and Boise at 7-4(4-3), I'd probably tell you differently. Since we already lost to the U, this would be a big win for us as far as bragging rights, extending the home win streak, establishing ourselves as the #2 team in the state, and recruiting.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 26th, 2015, 4:33 pm

The greatest thing about the "rivalry" game is the amount of coverage that it gets. It is the main topic on local tv and sport. Another bonus is that we don't have to hear about the Utes 24-7! :utah: :state:

aggieblue11

Post by aggieblue11 » November 28th, 2015, 10:50 am

Why isn't there a name for the game? We have "battle of brothers" but not one for byu?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 28th, 2015, 10:59 am

aggieblue11 wrote:Why isn't there a name for the game? We have "battle of brothers" but not one for byu?
The battle for the Old Wagon Wheel. We have a trophy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1888Aggie

Post by 1888Aggie » November 28th, 2015, 11:42 am

What makes a rival? Above anything else I believe it has to do with competitive history. We have been playing byu for 90+ years and byu leads the overall record: 46 - 35 - 3 or 54.8% of the match ups. In contrast the Utah - byu has the Utes leading the series 57 - 34 - 4 or 60% of the time. Interestingly enough the Utah State vs byu has been a more competitive series than u vs y.

It is a rivalry for us no doubt about it. If byu doesn't see it as such... good. That just gives us a little extra edge when we play them.

Tr0ll
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tr0ll » November 28th, 2015, 9:52 pm

No competetive play today. Hard to call it a rivalry after that beat down.

Locked Previous topicNext topic