I would be pissed if I were Myers

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » December 22nd, 2015, 4:45 pm

This is his team. I know chuckie has done a lot for our image but one has to think what kind of damage was done today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgMac

Re: I would be pisses if I were Myers

Post by AgMac » December 22nd, 2015, 4:47 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:This is his team. I know chuckie has done a lot for our image but one has to think what kind of damage was done today

I agree with you. Of course, I was in the minority who thought KM should have started today.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » December 22nd, 2015, 4:49 pm

AgMac wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:This is his team. I know chuckie has done a lot for our image but one has to think what kind of damage was done today

I agree with you. Of course, I was in the minority who thought KM should have started today.
Should never have created the situation for Garrett leaving.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 22nd, 2015, 4:49 pm

by his many fumbles?

I think it is obvious that Wells is planning on going in a different direction at quarterback next year. At least he is planning on opening the job up for competition. This is not Myers' team. He has been quite mediocre this year.

Eutaw St. Aggie

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 22nd, 2015, 4:51 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
AgMac wrote:

Funny how the few of us that were right on this from day one got attacked. That was all Matt Wells' fault and no one was willing to say anything about it until we started sucking again.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » December 22nd, 2015, 4:52 pm

Yossarian wrote:

by his many fumbles?

I think it is obvious that Wells is planning on going in a different direction at quarterback next year. At least he is planning on opening the job up for competition. This is not Myers' team. He has been quite mediocre this year.
The fumbles weren't his issue. Do you know anything about competitive team sports?

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » December 22nd, 2015, 4:53 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
AgMac wrote:

Funny how the few of us that were right on this from day one got attacked. That was all Matt Wells' fault and no one was willing to say anything about it until we started sucking again.

I never attacked you. I was pissed to see him leave but kept the team first attitude. You were right early on

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 22nd, 2015, 4:55 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

by his many fumbles?

The fumbles weren't his issue. Do you know anything about competitive team sports?

Absolutely nothing -- please help.

I am not watching the game, just seeing play-by-play updates on a game tracker. I just have seen a lot of "Myers fumbles" on the play description.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » December 22nd, 2015, 4:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

by his many fumbles?

Absolutely nothing -- please help.

I am not watching the game, just seeing play-by-play updates on a game tracker. I just have seen a lot of "Myers fumbles" on the play description.
Easy there internet QB

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 22nd, 2015, 4:58 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote: Funny how the few of us that were right on this from day one got attacked. That was all Matt Wells' fault and no one was willing to say anything about it until we started sucking again.

I don't think I ever attacked the Garretson supporters, although I did prefer Myers to Garretson. I appear to have been on the wrong side of that one. I'm extremely disappointed with Myer's season, even with the bad O-line play and continued ineptitude of offensive staff.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 22nd, 2015, 5:00 pm

Kent is a great athlete, but has a noodle arm. Will never be a great D1 QB. Sad but true. Hoping that Jordan Love or the Smith kid from Oregon can win the job or we won't be in a bowl next year.

glendayle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by glendayle » December 22nd, 2015, 5:16 pm

Myers will be fine. I imagine next season he will be battling for the starting role with Smith.

glendayle
Been thanked: 0

Post by glendayle » December 22nd, 2015, 5:18 pm

AgMac wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote: Funny how the few of us that were right on this from day one got attacked. That was all Matt Wells' fault and no one was willing to say anything about it until we started sucking again.

I don't think I ever attacked the Garretson supporters, although I did prefer Myers to Garretson. I appear to have been on the wrong side of that one. I'm extremely disappointed with Myer's season, even with the bad O-line play and continued ineptitude of offensive staff.
I was really disappointed to see DG go. I thought he should have been the starter this season. Everyone just kept hoping that CK would return to 2012 and we spent too much time waiting/trying to make it happen. I love CK as much as the next guy, but he should have not been playing this year.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 22nd, 2015, 5:22 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Kent is a great athlete, but has a noodle arm. Will never be a great D1 QB. Sad but true. Hoping that Jordan Love or the Smith kid from Oregon can win the job or we won't be in a bowl next year.
I quietly keep hoping that Smith steps up and takes the job. I don't see much out of Love that would lead me to believe he could beat Myers out, especially as a true freshman. Myers numbers in HS completely dwarf anything Love accomplished. In fact, I'm sort of surprised we locked into Love so early - he didn't improve on his Junior numbers as a Senior and he has a career 50% completion rate....not exactly setting the world on fire at the HS level.

I'm not sure I agree about KM having a noodle arm. He puts good zip on short and intermediate throws but he struggles too often with the long ball. He seems to have a lot of under throws on those but it seems to be a matter of poor timing as much as it does arm strength. Take for instance today, he had guys open down the field but holds the ball for too long before letting it fly. If he could get those long balls out earlier and let his WR run under them he would look better on the long balls.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 22nd, 2015, 5:23 pm

Myers didn't play any better than CK. We moved the ball consistently on the ground starting in the second quarter and then for some reason just stopped. The whole team hasn't played well all season. Hope the pre-game party last night was a doozy for the players.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 22nd, 2015, 5:23 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote: I never attacked you. I was pissed to see him leave but kept the team first attitude. You were right early on

AgMac wrote: I don't think I ever attacked the Garretson supporters, although I did prefer Myers to Garretson. I appear to have been on the wrong side of that one. I'm extremely disappointed with Myer's season, even with the bad O-line play and continued ineptitude of offensive staff.
Didn't say either of you attacked me or anyone else, cause I don't remember who it was! I have beef with plenty of people on here, but couldn't even tell you their names! I don't really pay attention to usernames, just posts. So I can't link any past arguments to specific posters.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » December 22nd, 2015, 5:27 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:Myers didn't play any better than CK. We moved the ball consistently on the ground starting in the second quarter and then for some reason just stopped. The whole team hasn't played well all season. Hope the pre-game party last night was a doozy for the players.
I agree with you Florida however I do believe continuity of a QB in a game is important. Wells inability to make a decision on the QB was a problem. And I felt the team played better with Myers as QB. Plus he is our future unless something extraordinary happens

vegasaggie

Post by vegasaggie » December 22nd, 2015, 5:33 pm

I'm probably too upset about this game/this year, but we MAY be looking at 3-8 or 4-7 next year unless we get better coaching/players/attitudes, etc.!!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 23rd, 2015, 12:55 am

Myers was not playing well when Chuckie came back.

Heisenberg

Re: I would be pissed if I were Myers

Post by Heisenberg » December 23rd, 2015, 6:02 am

I don't think there is any doubt that Wells really bungled the QB situation this year, including the DG transfer. Yesterday's game was basically a microcosm of the entire season. Having said that, I don't think he really had a lot to work with. Chuckie is a shadow of himself physically and Myers was not all that much better. He really does struggle throwing the ball, which, even in this read-option era we're living in, is still pretty important at that position.

I just have deep concerns about the QB position heading forward.

hatescougars

Post by hatescougars » December 23rd, 2015, 10:37 am

ineptimusprime wrote:Kent is a great athlete, but has a noodle arm. Will never be a great D1 QB. Sad but true. Hoping that Jordan Love or the Smith kid from Oregon can win the job or we won't be in a bowl next year.

Noodle arm? we must be watching different kids. Myers is # 2, right? I've seen him thread some needles and throw the ball extremely hard while right on the money. I could put some tags on him, but "noodle arm" wouldn't be one of them.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » December 23rd, 2015, 12:57 pm

I don't think Kent has a noodle arm, I think Kent's issue is consistency. His TD pass was a thing of beauty. Hit his WR in stride on the money. Next drive, he throws it at the WR's shoes in the flat.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » December 23rd, 2015, 8:56 pm

I don't know how much it would have mattered if Myers started instead. Neither QB played lights out. But, I would have preferred to just see one QB from start to finish.

Full

Post by Full » December 24th, 2015, 6:26 am

Agsman wrote:I don't think Kent has a noodle arm, I think Kent's issue is consistency. His TD pass was a thing of beauty. Hit his WR in stride on the money. Next drive, he throws it at the WR's shoes in the flat.
I agree about consistency. I wonder if this would have been better if he didn't have to worry if he was playing in the next play or getting pulled for Hobbs or Chuckie. He looked better last year.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 24th, 2015, 11:22 am

In my opinion, its not that Kent doesn't have a decent arm. He does. However, he needs work in the passing game with timing and hitting particular routes. No disrespect to Kent because you can't fail to appreciate his running ability, but he's never going to be a Mangum or Ripen as a passer. However, he can still be a very good passing QB and overall an excellent QB (run and pass) with some improvement in the passing game.

I'm very excited about Jordan Love. He's 6'3", has a strong arm and is accurate. He throws a nice deep ball and has good feet. He has not clocked super fast in the 40. But I think he may end up a 4.7ish 40 guy, which would be just fine. He was a pretty effective runner in high school, showing balance and cutting ability and ability to stay on his feet after he's hit. He's very intelligent and highly motivated to come here (enrolling in January).

We did not initially offer a scholly to Smith, but then that changed after DG bailed. If the kid develops and competes as well as his brother, he could also be a very good QB for us. HIs high school coach called him the toughest player he'd ever known. He's not super tall (6'--maybe 6'1"), but he's very mobile, very good runner and has a decent arm.

I also wonder about Beau Hoge at Zoobville. He is a freshman who is not going to mission. He's talented. Does he really want to play behind Mangum for four years? Is that what he dreamed of for a college career out of high school? Also, YBU will not revert to a pro-style offense. You won't be seeing Mangum toting the rock on QB draws or zone-read. So he's not especially likely to get injured.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the spring. Very interested to see Hobbs get a shot to. Finally, am I the only one who thinks CK regressed as a passer? He threw picks into coverage (right at DBs) that he would never have thrown 2 years ago.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 24th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:In my opinion, its not that Kent doesn't have a decent arm. He does. However, he needs work in the passing game with timing and hitting particular routes. No disrespect to Kent because you can't fail to appreciate his running ability, but he's never going to be a Mangum or Ripen as a passer. However, he can still be a very good passing QB and overall an excellent QB (run and pass) with some improvement in the passing game.

I'm very excited about Jordan Love. He's 6'3", has a strong arm and is accurate. He throws a nice deep ball and has good feet. He has not clocked super fast in the 40. But I think he may end up a 4.7ish 40 guy, which would be just fine. He was a pretty effective runner in high school, showing balance and cutting ability and ability to stay on his feet after he's hit. He's very intelligent and highly motivated to come here (enrolling in January).

We did not initially offer a scholly to Smith, but then that changed after DG bailed. If the kid develops and competes as well as his brother, he could also be a very good QB for us. HIs high school coach called him the toughest player he'd ever known. He's not super tall (6'--maybe 6'1"), but he's very mobile, very good runner and has a decent arm.

I also wonder about Beau Hoge at Zoobville. He is a freshman who is not going to mission. He's talented. Does he really want to play behind Mangum for four years? Is that what he dreamed of for a college career out of high school? Also, YBU will not revert to a pro-style offense. You won't be seeing Mangum toting the rock on QB draws or zone-read. So he's not especially likely to get injured.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the spring. Very interested to see Hobbs get a shot to. Finally, am I the only one who thinks CK regressed as a passer? He threw picks into coverage (right at DBs) that he would never have thrown 2 years ago.
Both Hoge and Cade Smith came to the USU high school summer camp prior to their senior year of high school. The coaches chose to eventually offer Smith not Hoge. Also Smith was always in the plan here at Utah State, as he was part of the 2015 signing class. But the initial plan was for Cade to grayshirt but that all changed when Garretson decided to transfer.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 24th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Thanks Aggie22. Always good to have your insight. I presume this means the staff thought Smith had more upside than Hoge. However, he was a 3 star.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 25th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Myers arm is fine but he can't read a defense. He is a 1 option QB and if he has to move off that option he panics and either runs or throws poorly. Myers has all the tools to be a great QB but if you can't read defenses and adjust they mean very little except for an exciting scramble now and then.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 25th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Myers isn't going anywhere. I think he does well but at the bowl game I sat next to a Boise fan. We hit it off and chatted the whole game. He couldn't understand what we were doing with our QB rotation but he made the comment that Myers looks a lot better but has some serious tunnel vision. I laughed and told him what the board thinks of his ability to read a defense. For me the biggest improvement needed is to throw the dang deep ball in bounds and out in front of the receiver. With a guy like Sharpe this was a tragedy. We also have to give the QBs more than .5 seconds to let plays develop.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic