It is official...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Ahbye

It is official...

Post by Ahbye » February 29th, 2016, 9:24 pm

The athletics department will begin officially soliciting donations for the East Side renovation at MOFAMS. The project will cost about $10 million dollars. That's all I know for now.

Aggiefan33

Re: It is official...

Post by Aggiefan33 » February 29th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Good news.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 29th, 2016, 9:41 pm

It will be exciting to see what the plan is over there.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 29th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Link? Any info is like cocaine at this point in the offseason.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 1st, 2016, 12:41 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:Link? Any info is like cocaine at this point in the offseason.
No link. The information comes from a very high-level fund raising source in Old Main. Everything I've gotten from that source has proven to be true. (This source told me about the LW Miller Suite donation about 3 months before it was announced, as well as the Goldenwest donation and several others, which I've shared on this board.)

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Texasaggie1 » March 1st, 2016, 7:14 am

I love that USU is investing so much into its athletics. I couldn't make it to a game last year, but I am excited to see all the changes this season, and seasons to come.

xmoaggie

Post by xmoaggie » March 1st, 2016, 8:14 am

Awesome ! maybe we could start a fund raiser much like our win athon donating $10.00 dollars anytime somthing negative happens to byu. :)

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 1st, 2016, 8:16 am

xmoaggie wrote:Awesome ! maybe we could start a fund raiser much like our win athon donating $10.00 dollars anytime somthing negative happens to byu. :)
We'd have the money by next weekend.

coolag

Post by coolag » March 1st, 2016, 8:47 am

I have heard the plan is to add another deck on top of the east side. To me personally that seems silly even though those seats would still be good. Another deck would make the stadium very unbalanced from one side to the other. IMO they need to fill in the seats on both ends of the upper decks on both the east and west sides bringing the capacity to around 30 or 32 thousand. Of course I may be off how many seats that would add but it would make the stadium look nicer IMO.

Regulator of Class

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 1st, 2016, 9:47 am

coolag wrote:I have heard the plan is to add another deck on top of the east side. To me personally that seems silly even though those seats would still be good. Another deck would make the stadium very unbalanced from one side to the other. IMO they need to fill in the seats on both ends of the upper decks on both the east and west sides bringing the capacity to around 30 or 32 thousand. Of course I may be off how many seats that would add but it would make the stadium look nicer IMO.
I'm with you in this thinking. Hopefully any seating increases are planned for the notched out areas on the north and south of the east side on the slope and any improvements to the top of the east side are for improved restrooms, concessions and additional suites.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » March 1st, 2016, 11:12 am

Ahbye wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:Link? Any info is like cocaine at this point in the offseason.
No link. The information comes from a very high-level fund raising source in Old Main. Everything I've gotten from that source has proven to be true. (This source told me about the LW Miller Suite donation about 3 months before it was announced, as well as the Goldenwest donation and several others, which I've shared on this board.)
Link, shmink. I wanna see renderings!!

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 1st, 2016, 12:12 pm

As long as we get some gosh dern hand rails!

cval

Post by cval » March 1st, 2016, 12:46 pm

ag4fr wrote:The concessions and restrooms on the east side need some major fixin. Half of the traffic flow problem we have is that we force half of the capacity of the stadium to go from the east side all the way to the south plaza for anything. Poor design.

By adding 10 rows all along the length of the east side structure you pick up 2K seats inexpensively. If you have to build something, might as well build some improved concessions and restrooms into the construction at the top of the east side.

If you expanded the upper sections on the north and south of the east side by excavating back into the hillside, you could add 2k more seats and a bunch more restrooms, concessions and even some covered gathering areas underneath at mid concourse level.

The key principle here is that you place access to things like concessions and restrooms close to the seating areas and don't make fans walk the length of the stadium to go grab a hot dog.
This is close to what i have heard...

Large (huge) concessions and restroom building at the top of the east side. Fill in the corners, and add some (?) rows at the top of the East side to bring it over 30,000. Bigger concourse at the top of the east side.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm

coolag wrote:I have heard the plan is to add another deck on top of the east side. To me personally that seems silly even though those seats would still be good. Another deck would make the stadium very unbalanced from one side to the other. IMO they need to fill in the seats on both ends of the upper decks on both the east and west sides bringing the capacity to around 30 or 32 thousand. Of course I may be off how many seats that would add but it would make the stadium look nicer IMO.
There aren't as many seats to be had in expanding those areas as we might think. Expanding seating there is part of what I saw. To get to 30 or 32 you need to continue up on the east side after filling in the corners, or add the upper deck. I think an upper deck will end up being about the height of the press box on the other side. Not sure how great it will look, but the seats underneath the deck will be pretty nice late in the year.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 1st, 2016, 3:20 pm

The filled in corners and the upper deck will look very good. I just wish the upper deck would line up with the proposed filled-in corners (running north/south)

coolag

Post by coolag » March 1st, 2016, 4:11 pm

GeoAg wrote:
There aren't as many seats to be had in expanding those areas as we might think. Expanding seating there is part of what I saw. To get to 30 or 32 you need to continue up on the east side after filling in the corners, or add the upper deck. I think an upper deck will end up being about the height of the press box on the other side. Not sure how great it will look, but the seats underneath the deck will be pretty nice late in the year.
Does anyone know how many seats each north bottom bowl section holds? The 2 that were added years ago? That would give a better ideas what filling in the upper ends on both sides could add.

Regulator of Class

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » March 1st, 2016, 4:11 pm

I wish they would build up the south side of the stadium. It would give the stadium a more prominent bowl shape and help bridge the gap between a tall west side and an even taller east side...

Servo

Post by Servo » March 1st, 2016, 4:23 pm

I....WANT....PICTURES!!!

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

KissMyAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » March 1st, 2016, 4:44 pm

Where's the sweet water colors?

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 1st, 2016, 4:57 pm

I'm sure they are coming soon...I am sworn to not share; but they do exist. Well, I don't think they are actually watercolors.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » March 1st, 2016, 6:23 pm

I can't help but think that adding an upper deck on top of the east side is going to make it look hideous. But the new amenities will be nice I guess. Can't wait to see some concept drawings. Anyone who has seen them care to make a doodle from memory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 1st, 2016, 7:44 pm

No one is putting in an upper deck for 10 million.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » March 1st, 2016, 8:11 pm

Ahbye wrote:No one is putting in an upper deck for 10 million.
Good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 1st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Remember, if they do, it will sit on level ground. Not as expensive to build, I think.

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » March 1st, 2016, 8:37 pm

I think having the east side built up will look fantastic... Like a mini 49ers stadium

xmoaggie

Post by xmoaggie » March 2nd, 2016, 8:00 am

Do we know any kind of time frame?

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 2nd, 2016, 8:53 am

Ahbye wrote:No one is putting in an upper deck for 10 million.

So is there any expansion happening at all? If not an upper deck, are they extending the existing upper East side on the North and South? Surely you have more to give! Pretty please with a cherry on top????

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » March 2nd, 2016, 9:58 am

Here's what we know.

* Excavating the upper deck to move the stand back.
- That opens up the traffic issue by creating a larger concourse
* Adding concessions and bathrooms on top of the east side
* Adding top winglets (filling in the corners)
* Adding 10ish rows on top

Will there be any bathrooms or concessions on the new and improved concourse? When I was a student I had no clue anything was up there, in fact I've never been to the top of the east side stands.

aggietime

Post by aggietime » March 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

I understand filling in the upper south endzone eventually, but the "wings" on the north and south of the east side seem like much better sightlines (aka higher ticket prices/revenue). I'm hoping anything done on the east side widens the lower concourse (right above student seats), but that seems like more than a $10 million project.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

xmoaggie

Post by xmoaggie » March 2nd, 2016, 10:31 am

Putting restrooms and some concessions on the north end of the mid east side concourse would also help with the flow.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 2nd, 2016, 10:42 am

If they're going to excavate from the current concourse up and rebuild from that point up, they should build concessions and bathrooms into the hill under the upper seating.

xmoaggie

Post by xmoaggie » March 2nd, 2016, 10:56 am

brownjeans wrote:If they're going to excavate from the current concourse up and rebuild from that point up, they should build concessions and bathrooms into the hill under the upper seating.
^^this^^

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 2nd, 2016, 11:05 am

brownjeans wrote:If they're going to excavate from the current concourse up and rebuild from that point up, they should build concessions and bathrooms into the hill under the upper seating.
That doesn't sound like what is being talked about. I'm also sure it would cost a metric butt load of money, bar more than the $10 million number being thrown around in this discussion.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » March 2nd, 2016, 1:31 pm

While building a stadium into the side of a hill presents some architectural and cost advantages, it does reduce the number of entry/exit directions to points/directions parallel to the seating. That is to say, you can't exist out the back side of the seating, lest you dig tunnels. As such, what were they thinking building such a narrow one-way in, one-way out concourse at the midway point knowing so much traffic will invariably pass through there? I guess people really were dumberer in the last century.

Would it be possible to remove seating above and below the midway concourse and widen it? Or heck, build a tunnel and offer naming rights for the tunnel.

Overall I hope we consider East-West proportionality, balance and aesthetics in addition to practical and revenue generating concerns in the East side expansion design. Hopefully Maverik Stadium is on its way to becoming a real unique jewel.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

Full

Post by Full » March 2nd, 2016, 2:43 pm

AggieBlues wrote:While building a stadium into the side of a hill presents some architectural and cost advantages, it does reduce the number of entry/exit directions to points/directions parallel to the seating. That is to say, you can't exist out the back side of the seating, lest you dig tunnels. As such, what were they thinking building such a narrow one-way in, one-way out concourse at the midway point knowing so much traffic will invariably pass through there? I guess people really were dumberer in the last century.

Would it be possible to remove seating above and below the midway concourse and widen it? Or heck, build a tunnel and offer naming rights for the tunnel.

Overall I hope we consider East-West proportionality, balance and aesthetics in addition to practical and revenue generating concerns in the East side expansion design. Hopefully Maverik Stadium is on its way to becoming a real unique jewel.
You can't exit out at concourse level, but there is a parking lot above most of the seats that you can exit out the back by hiking up the stairs. Also, if they would funnel more traffic to the north end exit that would fix some of the problem.

Related to this. it looks to me like the west concourse will be narrower. I hope I'm looking at it wrong.

Locked Previous topicNext topic