Why do we ALWAYS throw SHORT of the sticks?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TheAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why do we ALWAYS throw SHORT of the sticks?

Post by TheAggie » October 3rd, 2016, 4:17 pm

On third downs, why do we ALWAYS throw the ball short of the first down marker. There were 10 throws on third down, and only ONE was part the mark. Why is that?

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: Why do we ALWAYS throw SHORT of the sticks?

Post by bigblue » October 3rd, 2016, 4:27 pm

TheAggie wrote:On third downs, why do we ALWAYS throw the ball short of the first down marker. There were 10 throws on third down, and only ONE was part the mark. Why is that?
Mental error by Myers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 3rd, 2016, 4:46 pm

Myers is quick to get the ball out and our receivers have to make a play on some of those.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 3rd, 2016, 5:07 pm

Extremely frustrating. Didn't get near enough 3rd downs to win @ the donkeys

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 3rd, 2016, 5:30 pm

This is an issue, sometimes we don't run deep enough routes, sometimes Myers throws it poorly, most often Myers has 3 guys in his face so he is forced to throw early.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » October 3rd, 2016, 5:47 pm

I notice this all the time...but it's not just KM. Our receivers run their routes short of the sticks. I don't know if they are just mechanically running the play as it is designed even if it is designed short or if they don't realize where they are on the field. Regardless of the reason, we have to stop doing this.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » October 3rd, 2016, 8:39 pm

its not all on Myers, the receivers need to get past the line to gain, i also was very frustrated watching this, we had at least 3 or 4 receptions on 3rd down just short of the marker

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 3rd, 2016, 8:53 pm

There are several reasons, but two that haven't been listed are that is what the defense is allowing; the defense isn't stupid and they know when to bring in reinforcements and when to let you have the underneath stuff. Also, longer routes take longer to develop; time that Myers simply does not have.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » October 3rd, 2016, 9:08 pm

AngusAg wrote:There are several reasons, but two that haven't been listed are that is what the defense is allowing; the defense isn't stupid and they know when to bring in reinforcements and when to let you have the underneath stuff. Also, longer routes take longer to develop; time that Myers simply does not have.
Not only does Myers not have that time, especially on 3rd and long situations, but Wells is also playing the odds. He knows that, considering Myers' throwing mechanics, Myers has a greater chance of completing a pass that is closer to the LOS than further away, ergo, we have a greater chance of conversion rate when we have a little dump off to the receiver, who then proceeds to run for the 1st down, rather than Myers throwing beyond the sticks. Another situation that used to drive me nuts was on 2nd down and long situations, why Wells insists, at least the majority of the time, to run the ball and pick up hardly anything at all, rather than throwing the ball, and I think its because, again, he's playing the odds. If its 2nd and 15, we have a greater chance of conversion if its 3rd and 11 or 3rd and 12, instead of 3rd and 15.

Factor in how neutered the offense is under Myers and I think I'm beginning to see exactly how much of the reins' Wells is allowing him to have, which is not much at all.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 3rd, 2016, 9:30 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
AngusAg wrote:There are several reasons, but two that haven't been listed are that is what the defense is allowing; the defense isn't stupid and they know when to bring in reinforcements and when to let you have the underneath stuff. Also, longer routes take longer to develop; time that Myers simply does not have.
Not only does Myers not have that time, especially on 3rd and long situations, but Wells is also playing the odds. He knows that, considering Myers' throwing mechanics, Myers has a greater chance of completing a pass that is closer to the LOS than further away, ergo, we have a greater chance of conversion rate when we have a little dump off to the receiver, who then proceeds to run for the 1st down, rather than Myers throwing beyond the sticks. Another situation that used to drive me nuts was on 2nd down and long situations, why Wells insists, at least the majority of the time, to run the ball and pick up hardly anything at all, rather than throwing the ball, and I think its because, again, he's playing the odds. If its 2nd and 15, we have a greater chance of conversion if its 3rd and 11 or 3rd and 12, instead of 3rd and 15.

Factor in how neutered the offense is under Myers and I think I'm beginning to see exactly how much of the reins' Wells is allowing him to have, which is not much at all.
The 3rd down situation is frustrating but getting there is even worse. With few exceptions Aggie yardage in the passing game has come throwing downfield on 1st and 2nd downs when teams are stacking the box. Instead the Aggies spend first down (backed up 5 yards from the false start if it is after a big gain with flubbed wr screen or missed swing route, 2nd running against a stacked box, and 3rd with Myers trying to find a receiver with the world bearing down on him. The aggies are right to attack downfield and make the other team move people off the line on 1st and 2nd down but they rarely do it.

One major reason as many have pointed out is that Myers, now a junior seems scared #$##$#$__#@$less to audible. Maybe he can't read the D. Maybe he's scared of changing the call. Either way its not working. Matt Wells would be better off to get rid of the WR screen, never run hurry up, and allow a different student to be the offensive play-caller each game by drawing calls out of a hat. At least it might be less predictable.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » October 3rd, 2016, 9:40 pm

hickaggie wrote:
AGGZILLA wrote:

The 3rd down situation is frustrating but getting there is even worse. With few exceptions Aggie yardage in the passing game has come throwing downfield on 1st and 2nd downs when teams are stacking the box. Instead the Aggies spend first down (backed up 5 yards from the false start if it is after a big gain with flubbed wr screen or missed swing route, 2nd running against a stacked box, and 3rd with Myers trying to find a receiver with the world bearing down on him. The aggies are right to attack downfield and make the other team move people off the line on 1st and 2nd down but they rarely do it.

One major reason as many have pointed out is that Myers, now a junior seems scared #$##$#$__#@$less to audible. Maybe he can't read the D. Maybe he's scared of changing the call. Either way its not working. Matt Wells would be better off to get rid of the WR screen, never run hurry up, and allow a different student to be the offensive play-caller each game by drawing calls out of a hat. At least it might be less predictable.
CK was allowed to audible, and did so frequently, because he was able to read a defense. I don't think I've ever seen Myers audible once.

Fwiw,the hurry up has technically worked a few times this season, such as the long TD run against Arky St that put us up 24-0, but those times have been few and far in between. They seem to be more of drive/momentum killers than anything else and would probably be best to scrap that strategy for another season with different players.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 3rd, 2016, 10:09 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AGGZILLA wrote:

Did we get a single offensive first down in Boise territory that wasn't followed by a hurry-up false start penalty killing the drive. On one of them Matt actually called a blown up bubble screen. All I could think was maybe Wells is onto something with the false starts. 1st and 15 is better than 2nd and 15 after all.

CK was allowed to audible, and did so frequently, because he was able to read a defense. I don't think I've ever seen Myers audible once.

Fwiw,the hurry up has technically worked a few times this season, such as the long TD run against Arky St that put us up 24-0, but those times have been few and far in between. They seem to be more of drive/momentum killers than anything else and would probably be best to scrap that strategy for another season with different players.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » October 3rd, 2016, 11:12 pm

Simple. So simple as shown on video mandantotry team review. 5 times receivers slanted too quickly before clearing linebackers. Receiver fault. 6 online gaff giving QB about 3 seconds to dump quick throw. Let's have Matt run the game etc. let Chico run offense
You underestimate him if you think he can't totally make our offense great

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 3rd, 2016, 11:53 pm

buckfever wrote:Simple. So simple as shown on video mandantotry team review. 5 times receivers slanted too quickly before clearing linebackers. Receiver fault. 6 online gaff giving QB about 3 seconds to dump quick throw. Let's have Matt run the game etc. let Chico run offense
Buck what do you think Wells coaches well -- defense No, offense No, special teams No, ???

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 4th, 2016, 12:20 am

The receivers got confused and disoriented. They ran out when the ball was snapped looking for the yellow line on the field that shows where the first down was. They could not find it and just guessed where it should have been. They were overheard saying "I just don't get it - I can see that line plain as day on the TV but when I get on the field, it disappears".

Eutaw St. Aggie

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 4th, 2016, 5:56 am

USUBlue wrote:
buckfever wrote:Simple. So simple as shown on video mandantotry team review. 5 times receivers slanted too quickly before clearing linebackers. Receiver fault. 6 online gaff giving QB about 3 seconds to dump quick throw. Let's have Matt run the game etc. let Chico run offense
Buck what do you think Wells coaches well -- defense No, offense No, special teams No, ???
Offense. In 2012 as OC, Wells' offense was 23rd in the nation and the team went 11-2. That was his first and only time as strictly an OC and that turned out pretty well.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 4th, 2016, 8:16 am

3rd and long is tough to convert for any team consistently, much less ours. The defense knows the situation and schemes accordingly to defend the distance needed and ALLOW the short pass trusting they will make the tackle before the first down marker.

It starts on first down where we aren't able to run the ball and are continually in 2nd and 3rd down situations needing 8+ yards.

Locked Previous topicNext topic