1280 top 60

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

1280 top 60

Post by slcagg » June 8th, 2017, 8:22 am

We have ten guys on the list. I think how it works is that 1280 tells Matt to pick 10 guys etc. Still don't think byu should have a whole lot more than us but understand Utah. Basing that on recent draft success etc. I also wish the list included some Weber and suu guys. Maybe shoot for a top 50 and do 20 from Utah, 15 from byu, 10 from usu and 5 from Weber and suu.

Anyways the 10 guys for usu are:
1. Jalen Davis
2. Dallin Leavitt
3. Chase Christiansen (No Huerta, I think middle guys this fall will be chase and Suli)
4. Justus Tei (you can tell Matt thinks really highly of him)
5. Gasetoto Schuster (I was thinking Uasike might be the starter this fall at ng,but looking like Schuster)
6. Quin Ficklin
7. Ron Tarver
8. Kent Myers
9. Tonny Lindsey
10. Dax Raymond

The one guy I am surprised that is not on here is Jontrell Rocquemore. I can see maybe thinking a few others as well should have been on the list. But overall pretty accurate.

His rankings for the usu guys tells me he doesn't know who some of our guys are.

antibluehair

Re: 1280 top 60

Post by antibluehair » June 8th, 2017, 9:30 am

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » June 8th, 2017, 9:53 am

Did you see who they had on their heavily Utah and BYU oriented panel representing USU? One guy, Issac Draxler. Where is a representative from "traditional media" like Shawn Harrison or the Big Silk?

This is how it is nowdays folks. We get 10 players out of 60. A little biased wouldn't you say? Thanks to 1280 for taking on the Aggies, but the "Zone Network" is all about Davis, Salt Lake and Utah Counties. Any coverage elsewhere is accidental. So much for statewide media. The "sports news" is driven by advertising and who buys what where.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » June 8th, 2017, 10:43 am

AggiesForever wrote:Did you see who they had on their heavily Utah and BYU oriented panel representing USU? One guy, Issac Draxler. Where is a representative from "traditional media" like Shawn Harrison or the Big Silk?

This is how it is nowdays folks. We get 10 players out of 60. A little biased wouldn't you say? Thanks to 1280 for taking on the Aggies, but the "Zone Network" is all about Davis, Salt Lake and Utah Counties. Any coverage elsewhere is accidental. So much for statewide media. The "sports news" is driven by advertising and who buys what where.
I'm surprised we got even that many. Our program is fully back in the s***ter, meanwhile Utah has finished in the top 25 three years running, and those other chodes won 9 games and very well might be on the rise.

If we were still winning 9-10 games and a bowl game, then 10 would seem low. As is though, they did us a favor with this one if anything.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 8th, 2017, 1:13 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:Did you see who they had on their heavily Utah and BYU oriented panel representing USU? One guy, Issac Draxler. Where is a representative from "traditional media" like Shawn Harrison or the Big Silk?

I'm surprised we got even that many. Our program is fully back in the s***ter, meanwhile Utah has finished in the top 25 three years running, and those other chodes won 9 games and very well might be on the rise.

If we were still winning 9-10 games and a bowl game, then 10 would seem low. As is though, they did us a favor with this one if anything.
This is wholly accurate. We are a bad program right now. Additionally, the "woe is us, the SLC media hates us" thing is old, tired, and not really that well founded. We don't get much attention because we haven't been very good and have a fraction the size of the fanbase of the other two major players in the state.

I agree that we are fortunate to have 10 players on the list.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » June 8th, 2017, 7:19 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:

Precisely.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » June 9th, 2017, 9:10 am

Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

This is wholly accurate. We are a bad program right now. Additionally, the "woe is us, the SLC media hates us" thing is old, tired, and not really that well founded. We don't get much attention because we haven't been very good and have a fraction the size of the fanbase of the other two major players in the state.

I'm not sure I follow the logic you guys are espousing. If this is a list of the 60 best players in the state, then we should have as many slots as we have players who merit them. Simply put, we place more players in the league than BYU does. It's not an anomaly, a fluke, a blip, or a figment. It's just not debatable. Year after year, more of our players go to the NFL than BYU's players. If those sportswriters are truly trying to find out who the best players are, and they need an entry point or initial data set, they need only look at a 1, 5, and 10 year NFL trend and allocate spaces accordingly. We would be second to Utah, and it wouldn't be very close at all.

As it stands, I don't necessarily hold sports journalists to the same standard I hold other journalists, but this era of writing and shaping news based upon what the consumers want to hear is why the term "fake news" is prevalent today. We've even got major networks staging Muslim protests to drive an agenda and/or feed a confirmation bias. There is a confirmation bias that BYU just has more talent than we do. That's an errant assumption. I would argue that they have more depth, or that their talent is more consistent across the board, but as far as best players, we're underrepresented on that list by a substantial margin.

Lists like these will always under-represent USU, but it doesn't help when we're content to be the help who gets to eat the scraps from the table after everyone else has had their fill--especially when our position and BYU's should not only be switched, but amplified in our favor. Squeaky wheels get the grease. I'll be working on getting these sportswriters hauled out onto the carpet by a member of the coaching staff come media day.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 9th, 2017, 9:23 am

Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

I'm not sure I follow the logic you guys are espousing. If this is a list of the 60 best players in the state, then we should have as many slots as we have players who merit them. Simply put, we place more players in the league than BYU does. It's not an anomaly, a fluke, a blip, or a figment. It's just not debatable. Year after year, more of our players go to the NFL than BYU's players. If those sportswriters are truly trying to find out who the best players are, and they need an entry point or initial data set, they need only look at a 1, 5, and 10 year NFL trend and allocate spaces accordingly. We would be second to Utah, and it wouldn't be very close at all.

As it stands, I don't necessarily hold sports journalists to the same standard I hold other journalists, but this era of writing and shaping news based upon what the consumers want to hear is why the term "fake news" is prevalent today. We've even got major networks staging Muslim protests to drive an agenda and/or feed a confirmation bias. There is a confirmation bias that BYU just has more talent than we do. That's an errant assumption. I would argue that they have more depth, or that their talent is more consistent across the board, but as far as best players, we're underrepresented on that list by a substantial margin.

Lists like these will always under-represent USU, but it doesn't help when we're content to be the help who gets to eat the scraps from the table after everyone else has had their fill--especially when our position and BYU's should not only be switched, but amplified in our favor. Squeaky wheels get the grease. I'll be working on getting these sportswriters hauled out onto the carpet by a member of the coaching staff come media day.
Good point Ahbye. I def think the draft results are something to look at and see these rankings are skewed. However I would assume only a portion of this group end up in the NFL. Because of that I hate to say it but imo byu has more than depth usu right and probably warrant more guys on this list. I do think our guys are undervalued on the list and the total number probably is as well. Be interesting to see where devante Mays, fackrell vigil etc were on the lists their final year and see what byu/Utah guys were ahead of them. However sometimes a great college player doesn't always translate a big time NFL target. Take Chuckie and Taysom prior to injuries. Overall this is just a fun list that we all can complain about until fall! Well done by 1280 for generating interest.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » June 9th, 2017, 9:51 am

Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

I get what your saying but Athletic Ability doesn't equate to performance on the field. I agree that our strength and conditioning department has been outstanding over the past 8 years and that has been able to provide our guys with the professional opportunities (Marwin Evans and Devonte Mays are perfect examples over the past two years). My understanding is that the ranking is based of the predictions of their performance on the field this year as a college player, not their potential as a professional athlete. In my mind they aren't always the same thing.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 9th, 2017, 10:31 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

I get what your saying but Athletic Ability doesn't equate to performance on the field. I agree that our strength and conditioning department has been outstanding over the past 8 years and that has been able to provide our guys with the professional opportunities (Marwin Evans and Devonte Mays are perfect examples over the past two years). My understanding is that the ranking is based of the predictions of their performance on the field this year as a college player, not their potential as a professional athlete. In my mind they aren't always the same thing.
I think Rat is spot on here. Some guys that are great in college don't translate to the pro level and some times the inverse is true. Devante Mays had an NFL body/athleticism but couldn't make it on the field to prove he was a great college player. Marwin Evans really only saw the field a lot as a senior. Extreme example, but Tim Tebow might be the best college player of all time but had a much less impressive NFL career.

Also, isn't it sad we had all those guys sign to NFL rosters, but we couldn't muster more than three wins? As far as settling for table scraps from the media, we can be the squeaky wheel, but there are 5-6x more squeaky wheels in the U and BYU's fan base due to their size.

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » June 9th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Do you know that? I haven't seen a list of voters.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Randy Marsh
Been thanked: 0

Post by Randy Marsh » June 9th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Ahbye wrote:I'm not sure I follow the logic you guys are espousing. If this is a list of the 60 best players in the state, then we should have as many slots as we have players who merit them. Simply put, we place more players in the league than BYU does. It's not an anomaly, a fluke, a blip, or a figment. It's just not debatable. Year after year, more of our players go to the NFL than BYU's players. If those sportswriters are truly trying to find out who the best players are, and they need an entry point or initial data set, they need only look at a 1, 5, and 10 year NFL trend and allocate spaces accordingly. We would be second to Utah, and it wouldn't be very close at all.

Just curious what you think would be fair numbers for each program or what your list this year would look like.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » June 9th, 2017, 3:15 pm

I think lists are truly irrelevant when it's all said and done....As Ahbye says...we send more guys to the NFL so how does a pre-season list even matter? When Draft Day comes around, WE ARE DEEP ON THE ONLY LIST THAT MATTERS

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » June 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm

taniataylor wrote:I think lists are truly irrelevant when it's all said and done....As Ahbye says...we send more guys to the NFL so how does a pre-season list even matter? When Draft Day comes around, WE ARE DEEP ON THE ONLY LIST THAT MATTERS
that's fine, but players drafted vs best players in the state aren't mutually inclusive.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » June 9th, 2017, 7:48 pm

Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

This was pretty much exactly my point. When you have a bad football team, you're generally not loaded with good players, especially compared to other teams whose programs are in pretty decent shape. Thus, fewer players who merit inclusion on such a list when ranking against players who are helping win more games for other teams. Ya, we put guys into the NFL, but whoever those guys might be this year, they're probably on that list already.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 9th, 2017, 10:43 pm

#60 Quin Ficklin. Really no surprise here. Walk on at byu prior to transferring. Was 2nd team at byu.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 9th, 2017, 10:47 pm

#59 Trey Dye a rb at byu. He is a junior that redshirted last year. Career stats his first 2 years in Provo were 5 rushes for -3 yards and 7 catches for 75 yards. I'd assume a 2nd team guy this year. Wonder how he compares to Hunt or Hervey.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 12th, 2017, 3:00 pm

#58 Gasetoto Schuster ng from usu. 18 tackles last year.

http://www.1280thezone.com/58-gasetoto- ... tah-state/

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » June 12th, 2017, 9:17 pm

slcagg wrote:#58 Gasetoto Schuster ng from usu. 18 tackles last year.

What happened to Chris Unga?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 12th, 2017, 10:17 pm

jackmormon wrote:

He is third on the depth chart. Schuster had a break out spring and Uasike is very very good. Unga is a good player just has talented guys ahead of him right now.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » June 13th, 2017, 10:57 am

slcagg wrote:
jackmormon wrote:

He is third on the depth chart. Schuster had a break out spring and Uasike is very very good. Unga is a good player just has talented guys ahead of him right now.
We're pretty deep at NG right now. Cross your fingers that no one gets hurt....

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 13th, 2017, 2:43 pm

slcagg wrote:
jackmormon wrote:

Unga actually missed the entire spring with an injury.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » June 13th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

I think Rat is spot on here. Some guys that are great in college don't translate to the pro level and some times the inverse is true. Devante Mays had an NFL body/athleticism but couldn't make it on the field to prove he was a great college player. Marwin Evans really only saw the field a lot as a senior. Extreme example, but Tim Tebow might be the best college player of all time but had a much less impressive NFL career.

Also, isn't it sad we had all those guys sign to NFL rosters, but we couldn't muster more than three wins? As far as settling for table scraps from the media, we can be the squeaky wheel, but there are 5-6x more squeaky wheels in the U and BYU's fan base due to their size.
I guess I didn't think of it that way. I always just equated a drafting or free agent signing based on the on-field performance, but when you guys brought up the potential half of the equation, it does make sense.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » June 13th, 2017, 6:49 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

This was pretty much exactly my point. When you have a bad football team, you're generally not loaded with good players, especially compared to other teams whose programs are in pretty decent shape. Thus, fewer players who merit inclusion on such a list when ranking against players who are helping win more games for other teams. Ya, we put guys into the NFL, but whoever those guys might be this year, they're probably on that list already.
I feel like the past few years we've had a really good group of skill players but horrible line and qb play. That group is like the heart of one of those tragic athletes who are having phenomenal careers and suddenly get diagnosed with an arrhythmia and can't play anymore. Even after those bad years, we had a lot of skill players make it into camps or into the draft. As was already mentioned, some of that is based on potential, but I still don't think we only have 1/6 of the decent players in the state.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 13th, 2017, 10:31 pm

#57 Donavan Mitchell LB at Utah, soph. Played special teams last year with 12 tackles, will have a good chance of starting this year.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » June 21st, 2017, 2:31 pm

#54 — Justus Te'i, Utah State

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 25th, 2017, 7:01 am

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » June 27th, 2017, 11:36 am

Ahbye wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:

As long as BYU wins the majority of games against USU, the media will figure they have the better players. Beat them on a regular basis, those numbers will change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 6th, 2017, 1:37 pm

#41 Chase Christiansen

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 12th, 2017, 1:50 pm

#37 Tonny Lindsey

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 12th, 2017, 1:51 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:#37 Tonny Lindsey
Both radio hosts agreed this is *way* too low. Should be low 20's or better.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 12th, 2017, 2:11 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
Seems about right to me. Why is that way too low? He can be better than 37, I wouldn't rank him much differently than that based upon last year.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 12th, 2017, 2:21 pm

dyedblue wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Seems about right to me. Why is that way too low? He can be better than 37, I wouldn't rank him much differently than that based upon last year.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
I would argue that the ranking is correct given our offensive line. The fact that Lindsey averaged north of 5 yards per carry last year was actually pretty impressive given the lack of blocking in front of him.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 14th, 2017, 9:14 am

By the way, the panel is made up of (Name, Media and Lean): Jay Drew (BYU), Kyle Goon (Utah) and Kurt Kragthorpe (columnist-Utah) of the Salt Lake Tribune; Darnell Dickson of the Daily Herald (Provo-BYU); Bret Hein, Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Zoobie, Weber St.); Josh Furlong, KSL.com (BYU), Jeremiah Jensen, KSL-TV (BYU); Adam Mikulich, KUTV (Utah); David James, KUTV/The Zone (Utah); Greg Wrubell, KSL/BYU Radio (BYU); Frank Dolce, KALL/Utah Radio (Utah); Alex Markham, Rivals.com (Utah); Issac Draxler, Scout.com (USU); Ron McBride, former coach of the University of Utah and Zone Contributor (usually pretty even, but is ultimately going to come down in favor of the U); and Patrick Kinehan (BYU), Jake Hatch (also Scout.com--Utah), Adrian Leiser (?), Jake Scott (?), Austin Horton (BYU) and Tony Parks (BYU) from 1280 the Zone. They're not on the list, but you have to figure that Scott Garrard and Hans Olsen also had votes. Hans is pretty clear who he was voting for (BYU or Utah guys).

So there you go. One guy each representing USU and Weber State media, 8 guys representing BYU opinions, and the rest of this august panel favoring Utah. Kind of surprised there are no Deseret News people here, but then we KNOW how they would vote. So you decide-- is the panel stacked toward to prevailing opinions?

Personally, I think a thing like this should be based 90 percent on on-field performance, and 10 percent on reputation. So incoming freshman, or last years redshirts . . . unless it is already known that they are absolutely, without a DOUBT going to be starters, shouldn't even make the list. I don't care what they did in the spring. I've been listening to this the last couple of days and there are lots of Utah guys making the list who were low subs last year, or "hasn't played before, but he had a big spring . . . "

I know, its all speculation but . . . . . .

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 14th, 2017, 9:27 am

I haven't ever worried about this list. It is kind of stupid in my opinion, but it gets the fans talking.

Locked Previous topicNext topic