Late practice start?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
buckfever
RIP

Late practice start?

Post by buckfever » August 1st, 2017, 6:35 pm

Hmmm. It's been addressed. But we start practice a week later than the Utes. How on earth did our coach miss that
So two a day practices are no longer done. Instead practice can start earlier.
Utah plays only one day earlier than USU. But they figured it out. They read the release so they started practice way last week
If I'm incorrect ..fine. Explain it to me.
I think we totally screwed our training / practice options. I'm not the type to bash coaching. But why didn't we start one day after Utah
Hell. We need every extra second. Someone explain

taniataylor

Re: Late practice start?

Post by taniataylor » August 1st, 2017, 7:32 pm

Hi buck...from what I understand NCAA is also requiring an extra 1 week break during summer now...so could it be possible that the Utes have yet to take that break? I know our boys just had theirs but maybe Utah's is at another time which would account for their early practice start? I could be way off

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » August 1st, 2017, 7:48 pm

It's not a misunderstanding or an accident or anything like that. Teams are allowed one extra week of practice because there are no longer two-a-days. USU could have reported yesterday (Monday) if they wanted to, but Wells decided to not start until Friday. I'm not sure why they didn't take the opportunity for those four extra practices, but it was a very conscious decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 1st, 2017, 8:45 pm

It's not a misunderstanding or an accident or anything like that.
Well, its something.

I'd love to hear the rationale for not doing it.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 1st, 2017, 8:46 pm

Isn't the total number of allowed practice days/hours the same for each school? Are we really assuming that Matt is not using all of those days/hours that he is allowed?

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » August 1st, 2017, 8:54 pm

Or could it be that we are going 4 days a week versus 3. Or running more scrimmages through fall camp. Or running longer practices over a shorter time frame. Or .......IDK, but there could be other factors rather than just when you start. :noidea:

bleu

Post by bleu » August 1st, 2017, 9:00 pm

newhouse9 wrote:Isn't the total number of allowed practice days/hours the same for each school? Are we really assuming that Matt is not using all of those days/hours that he is allowed?
This is the case. I have no idea the rationale behind it or what anyone is thinking. But I heard directly from Wells that they were able to begin as early as yesterday but chose not to begin until Friday.

I will be at USU's media day on Thursday and see if I can get any idea as to why.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 1st, 2017, 9:06 pm

bleu wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:Isn't the total number of allowed practice days/hours the same for each school? Are we really assuming that Matt is not using all of those days/hours that he is allowed?
This is the case. I have no idea the rationale behind it or what anyone is thinking. But I heard directly from Wells that they were able to begin as early as yesterday but chose not to begin until Friday.

I will be at USU's media day on Thursday and see if I can get any idea as to why.
Please don't find out. This is much more interesting if we all keep guessing and assuming the worst. I also heard that Wells publishes the playbook online for anyone to access.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 1st, 2017, 9:18 pm

I just read an article that covered the new practice scheduling and they stated that, in surveys of the D1 schools, just under 2/3 were going to start practices earlier, and just over 1/3 were going to do as coach Wells is.

Reasons stated included summer school scheduling as well as injury concerns, which is interesting in that moving away from 2 a days was meant to reduce injuries.

So, it appears that a lot of other schools are taking the same approach as Wells, but I have no idea as to the rationale.

liquidforce
Has thanked: 0

Post by liquidforce » August 1st, 2017, 9:49 pm

26 practices total, if we were only practicing 22 times I would start getting concerned

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 1st, 2017, 10:44 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
bleu wrote:

Please don't find out. This is much more interesting if we all keep guessing and assuming the worst. I also heard that Wells publishes the playbook online for anyone to access.
Ha! :lol:

But in all seriousness, perhaps Wells should look at what Wittingham is doing and try to emulate him a bit more.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 2nd, 2017, 8:28 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
bleu wrote:

A one page Google doc isn't hard to download.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 2nd, 2017, 9:22 pm

NVAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
bleu wrote:

A one page Google doc isn't hard to download.
And its paint by numbers approach makes it so simple to read.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » August 2nd, 2017, 9:48 pm

After 4 consecutive years of extra practices I think Wells experienced fewer practices after missing a bowl game last year and now he's acquired a taste for it. It also gives him more personal time to polish up his resume for the P5 that's coming to poach him.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 2nd, 2017, 10:40 pm

Maybe it was Microsoft Paint. Easier to draw up shapes and such.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 3rd, 2017, 10:06 am

NVAggie wrote:Maybe it was Microsoft Paint. Easier to draw up shapes and such.
Upon further observation, it appears not to be the "spread" offense or even a "zone read" offense, but really the fabled "Crayola 64" offense.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » August 3rd, 2017, 11:57 am

There has been a lot going on this week. On the entire team has been out practicing without the coaches (considered voluntary workouts), the new players have been going thru meetings. Fall camp is has begun

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 3rd, 2017, 12:48 pm

When taking a look at the start dates for preseason camps around the state, one can look and wonder "what the hell?" or "why are we starting so late?" With the abolishment of two-a-days, the NCAA has ruled that a program can practice a total of 29 times prior to the start of regular season week 1 game week preparation. Many programs have publicly stated that it's nearly impossible to use all 29 practices. In taking a closer look, this is what I've discovered. byu began fall camp on July 27th and doesn't practice on Saturday or Sunday and will practice a total of 22 times leading up to the start of game week. Utah began camp on July 28th and doesn't practice on Saturday or Sunday and will practice a total of 21 times leading up to the start of game week. While on paper it doesn't appear that USU will come close to utilizing enough practice time due to the Aggies not starting practice until August 4th. However, the Aggies will practice on Saturday but not Sunday, which means they will practice a total of 20 times leading up to the start of game week. They will also likely practice Sunday August 27th, using that day as day 1 of game week, with game day being on a Friday. Although I would like to see us use 25 practices or so, there isn't as much a discrepancy in use of preseason practice time as many of us originally perceived.
Last edited by aggies22 on August 3rd, 2017, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 3rd, 2017, 1:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:When taking a look at the start dates for preseason camps around the state, one can look and wonder "what the hell?" or "why are we starting so late?" With the abolishment of two-a-days, the NCAA has ruled that a program can practice a total of 29 times prior to the start of regular season week 1 game week preparation. Many programs have publicly stated that it's nearly impossible to use all 29 practices. In taking a closer look, this is what I've discovered. byu began fall camp on July 27th and doesn't practice on Saturday or Sunday and will practice a total of 22 times leading up to the start of game week. Utah began camp on July 28th and doesn't practice on Saturday or Sunday and will practice a total of 21 times leading up to the start of game week. While on paper it doesn't appear that USU will come close to utilizing enough practice time due to the Aggies not starting practice until August 4th, however, the Aggies will practice on Saturday but not Sunday, which means they will practice a total of 20 times leading up to the start of game week. They will also likely practice Sunday August 27th, using that day as day 1 of game week, with game day being on a Friday. Although I would like to see us use 25 practices or so, there isn't as much a discrepancy in use of preseason practice time as many of us originally perceived.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » August 3rd, 2017, 1:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:When taking a look at the start dates for preseason camps around the state, one can look and wonder "what the hell?" or "why are we starting so late?" With the abolishment of two-a-days, the NCAA has ruled that a program can practice a total of 29 times prior to the start of regular season week 1 game week preparation. Many programs have publicly stated that it's nearly impossible to use all 29 practices. In taking a closer look, this is what I've discovered. byu began fall camp on July 27th and doesn't practice on Saturday or Sunday and will practice a total of 22 times leading up to the start of game week. Utah began camp on July 28th and doesn't practice on Saturday or Sunday and will practice a total of 21 times leading up to the start of game week. While on paper it doesn't appear that USU will come close to utilizing enough practice time due to the Aggies not starting practice until August 4th, however, the Aggies will practice on Saturday but not Sunday, which means they will practice a total of 20 times leading up to the start of game week. They will also likely practice Sunday August 27th, using that day as day 1 of game week, with game day being on a Friday. Although I would like to see us use 25 practices or so, there isn't as much a discrepancy in use of preseason practice time as many of us originally perceived.
Thanks 22. Good info.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » August 3rd, 2017, 2:48 pm

bleu

Post by bleu » August 3rd, 2017, 4:17 pm

I did not get a direct answer to this question today, however, Matt Wells said that the NCAA rule change banning two-a-days has very little impact on this team. He said that in the past two years the team has had just one two-a-day practice anyways. So really this fall camp is just a typical fall camp with one extra day of practice. Many of the guys on the team have been out working hard all week even without a formal practice.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » August 3rd, 2017, 10:05 pm

22. Good job. I also counted 20
However. Don't discount the last 5 days. They may not be on the field but parking lot is full
Nearly every player by count is there w his particular coach
Schemes, technique. Expectation and a ton of instruction is happening
Fitness is also ramped up from my view.
I'm fine with all going on. Captive audience I'd say.

Locked Previous topicNext topic