Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggieiester

Re: Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

Post by Aggieiester » October 14th, 2017, 7:37 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » October 14th, 2017, 7:40 am

Choo Choo Choo

[youtube][/youtube]

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 14th, 2017, 7:51 am

Does that mean were going to a New Year's 6 Bowl?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » October 14th, 2017, 8:12 am

dyedblue wrote:Does that mean were going to a New Year's 6 Bowl?

I don't know, GA has been sending me messages through Aerosmith songs

[youtube][/youtube]

Very conflicting at this point

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 14th, 2017, 9:31 am

Can't Choo choo with out this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBP15lRprPs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2017, 10:39 am

[youtube][/youtube]

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2017, 10:41 am

Elkaggie wrote:Does GA’s son Still play for the Aggies?
Yes, Chasen is still on the team.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2017, 10:46 am

[youtube][/youtube]

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2017, 11:00 am

[youtube][/youtube]

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2017, 11:07 am

[youtube][/youtube]

bpd

Post by bpd » October 14th, 2017, 11:09 am

Unless Matt runs the table, it’s time to bring Gary back. Some of the arguments on this thread are so lame.

1. Gary had a terrible conference to play in so wins were easy. Yes, I agree. That said the MW sucks as well. Outside of SDSU and maybe CSU, this conference sucks as well. Look around. That said Gary was always competitive against the power 5. Texas am, Wisconsin, Auburn, Utah, etc.,,, MAtt Wells can’t even be competitive against Wake and the power 5 kick our (I can't express myself without swearing) each time.
2. Gary only had one good season at Utah State. He took over a awful team and made them competitive each season, made them bowl eligible in his third season and was great his last season.
3. He had really good players. Yes he did... and many he recruited. Chuckie, Kerwynn Williams, Mo Alexander, Bojay, Michael Smith etc were all GA recruits, last time I checked that is part of coaching.

Yes he struggled at Oregon st, who cares. He won here, who else can say that in the last 30 years?

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

bpd wrote: Yes he struggled at Oregon st, who cares. He won here, who else can say that in the last 30 years?
'
Matt Wells can say it...

Gary Andersen winning pct. at USU: .520
Matt Wells winning pct at USU: .525

Gary Andersen vs BYU: 1-3 .250
Matt Wells vs BYU: 2-3 .400

Gary Andersen Bowl Record at USU: 1-1 .500
Matt Wells Bowl Record at USU: 2-1 .667

Not defending Matt Wells after the last two seasons. But officially he is a winner at USU, even more than Andersen.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2017, 11:54 am

[youtube][/youtube]

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 14th, 2017, 1:31 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
bpd wrote: Yes he struggled at Oregon st, who cares. He won here, who else can say that in the last 30 years?
'
Matt Wells can say it...

Not defending Matt Wells after the last two seasons. But officially he is a winner at USU, even more than Andersen.
This point has been belabored so many times on this forum I'm not sure why it keeps coming up. The total number of wins is almost entirely irrelevant. Gary took one of the worst teams in the country and turned it into one of the best in four years; Wells took one of the best teams in the country and turned it into one of the worst. It's about the trend line and the direction they have taken the team, not about the performance of the teams in the first couple of seasons after inheriting what their predecessors left for them.

The more salient apples-to-apples comparison is what each of them did in their 3rd and 4th seasons as head coaches:

Gary Andersen winning pct. at USU: .692
Matt Wells winning pct at USU: .360

Gary Andersen vs BYU: 0-2 Combined score of 27-33 (-6 differential)
Matt Wells vs BYU: 0-2 - Combined score of 38-79 (-41 differential)
[Why this is a relevant measure of anything in particular is beyond me. BYU is just another opponent as far as I'm concerned. Not special.]

Gary Andersen Bowl Record at USU: 1-1 .500 Combined score of 64-39 (+25 differential)
Matt Wells Bowl Record at USU: 0-1 .000 Combined score of 21-23 (-2 differential)

Additional criteria:
Gary Andersen Conference Record: 11-2/.846
Matt Wells Conference Record: 7/10/.411

Gary Andersen Record Against the Spread as Underdog: 8-0/1.00 (18-4 during 4 years/.818)
Matt Wells Record Against the Spread as Underdog: 3-8/.273 (6-14 during first 4 years/.300)

This last statistic is particularly telling. It reflects that even as Andersen's teams struggled to pick up wins in his first two seasons (two seasons of 4-8), they were competing far better than expected or predicted against their competition (10-4 ATS as underdog in GA's first two seasons). It also reflects that even as Wells teams continued to win in his first two seasons (with the team that Andersen had built), they immediately began to perform significantly worse than expected or predicted against their competition (3-6 ATS as underdog in Wells's first two seasons). While winning and losing certainly matters, as a fan I am almost equally concerned with whether the team actually shows up and competes against the competition. Win or lose, I want to see us put up a fight against the big boys like we did under GA against USC, Auburn, and Wisconsin, rather than what we have seen under Wells in recent years against the likes of Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, Wake Forest, and Washington and conference blowouts against SD State, Boise St, and Wyoming.
Last edited by ChicAggie on October 14th, 2017, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 14th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Gary is a fraud and just got exposed. He is one hell of a salesman and that worked with the right coordinators. Sanford and Aranda took that talent and Gary made them believe.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TheConspirator
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheConspirator » October 14th, 2017, 2:19 pm

dyedblue wrote:Gary is a fraud and just got exposed. He is one hell of a salesman and that worked with the right coordinators. Sanford and Aranda took that talent and Gary made them believe.

Yeah, who wants a head coach who can hire good assistants and then motivate the hell out of the players so that they play beyond their talent level?! No thanks.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 14th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Another thing. Without much more effort, we can get this thread to 15 pages.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 14th, 2017, 5:57 pm

ChicAggie wrote:Another thing. Without much more effort, we can get this thread to 15 pages.
Heck yes, we can!

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 14th, 2017, 6:55 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
'
Matt Wells can say it...

This point has been belabored so many times on this forum I'm not sure why it keeps coming up. The total number of wins is almost entirely irrelevant. Gary took one of the worst teams in the country and turned it into one of the best in four years; Wells took one of the best teams in the country and turned it into one of the worst. It's about the trend line and the direction they have taken the team, not about the performance of the teams in the first couple of seasons after inheriting what their predecessors left for them.

The more salient apples-to-apples comparison is what each of them did in their 3rd and 4th seasons as head coaches:

[Why this is a relevant measure of anything in particular is beyond me. BYU is just another opponent as far as I'm concerned. Not special.]

Gary Andersen Bowl Record at USU: 1-1 .500 Combined score of 64-39 (+25 differential)
Matt Wells Bowl Record at USU: 0-1 .000 Combined score of 21-23 (-2 differential)

Additional criteria:

Gary Andersen Record Against the Spread as Underdog: 8-0/1.00 (18-4 during 4 years/.818)
Matt Wells Record Against the Spread as Underdog: 3-8/.273 (6-14 during first 4 years/.300)

This last statistic is particularly telling. It reflects that even as Andersen's teams struggled to pick up wins in his first two seasons (two seasons of 4-8), they were competing far better than expected or predicted against their competition (10-4 ATS as underdog in GA's first two seasons). It also reflects that even as Wells teams continued to win in his first two seasons (with the team that Andersen had built), they immediately began to perform significantly worse than expected or predicted against their competition (3-6 ATS as underdog in Wells's first two seasons). While winning and losing certainly matters, as a fan I am almost equally concerned with whether the team actually shows up and competes against the competition. Win or lose, I want to see us put up a fight against the big boys like we did under GA against USC, Auburn, and Wisconsin, rather than what we have seen under Wells in recent years against the likes of Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, Wake Forest, and Washington and conference blowouts against SD State, Boise St, and Wyoming.
Well aware of all of that, and was not defending Matt Wells at all as evidenced by the statement "Not defending Matt Wells after the last two seasons." I was merely answering the original question about who, other than Gary Andersen, can say they were a winner at USU in the past 30 years. Matt Wells can say that, for now...

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 14th, 2017, 9:30 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
'
Matt Wells can say it...

Additional criteria:

Well aware of all of that, and was not defending Matt Wells at all as evidenced by the statement "Not defending Matt Wells after the last two seasons." I was merely answering the original question about who, other than Gary Andersen, can say they were a winner at USU in the past 30 years. Matt Wells can say that, for now...
Fair enough, but if you weren’t trying to make some broader point about the relative merits between Wells and Andersen, I’m not sure why there were several explicit comparisons. Could have simply said “Wells also has a winning record as an Aggie HC.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 14th, 2017, 9:57 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 15th, 2017, 1:09 am

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 16th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Can't let this slip too far off the home page . . . .

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 16th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Gary is the coach this program needs, but not the one it deserves.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 16th, 2017, 2:20 pm

ChicAggie wrote:Can't let this slip too far off the home page . . . .
Question - Why the obsession with how long this thread is?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 16th, 2017, 2:27 pm

YIPPIE 14 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 16th, 2017, 2:50 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

rfield3

Post by rfield3 » October 16th, 2017, 4:26 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 16th, 2017, 4:39 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
Umm, I don't know. Is this a trick question? Groupthink? Herd/mob mentality? The desire to feel a part of something; to not feel alone in the universe?

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 16th, 2017, 4:50 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
Be it fish, penisii, or thread posts, size matters. Anyone who tells you different only gets a reply or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 16th, 2017, 4:58 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » October 16th, 2017, 5:04 pm

https://youtu.be/8ybCyqvPbjE
[youtube][/youtube]
Hello, ceiling - (hello) (hello)
I'm gonna stare at you awhile
You know I can't sleep
So won't you bear with me awhile
We must all stick together or else
I'll lose my mind
I've got a feelin'
[he'll] be gone a long, long time.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 16th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Tr0ll wrote:https://youtu.be/8ybCyqvPbjE
[youtube][/youtube]
Hello, ceiling - (hello) (hello)
I'm gonna stare at you awhile
You know I can't sleep
So won't you bear with me awhile
We must all stick together or else
I'll lose my mind
I've got a feelin'
[he'll] be gone a long, long time.
Gotta love Feron Young, that Man has an amazing voice.

wams747

Post by wams747 » October 16th, 2017, 5:37 pm

I cannot determine if this rumor has any validity at all but I heard that a certain DONOR cough cough (Stan Laub) cough wants Gary Anderson back in Logan.

Has anyone else heard this? Just wondering how much truth there might be to it.

His opinion should have Johnny boy's ear much more than any of ours. I for one think it would be worth a shot to bring Gary back. I feel that it is less risk than Jay Hill (Whose team laid an egg against SUU) or any other realistic options we may have. Call me a Gary worshiper if you must but I think it would bring excitement to the program more so than an unproven name no one in the Valley knows about and potentially be more likely that he can win again than someone who may be able to do it a Weber High or elsewhere but hasn't yet done it at Utah State. Too many fails with promising names over the last 30 years to not give the only successful guy another shot. (Not considering Wells successful in this argument purely because of trajectory). People can site Wells bowl record or record against BYU or whatever but what is his conference record after Boise 2015? And how many butts were in the seats against Wyoming on a beautiful afternoon homecoming game vs an arguably better Wyoming team than were in the seats against an arguably worse UNLV team back in 2012?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 16th, 2017, 6:12 pm

A couple of things here.

Weber lost their all-everything QB to a concussion so it is no surprise they lost. We had 22k in the stadium thi s last Saturday. That isn't bad at all. Now if we could learn to cheer like Wyoming fans that would be awesome.

Locked Previous topicNext topic