Phil Steele on 1280

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Phil Steele on 1280

Post by TrueBlue » June 19th, 2018, 9:48 am

Phil was on the DJ this morning, it's a good listen:

http://www.1280thezone.com/phil-steele- ... igibility/

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Phil Steele on 1280

Post by BigBlueDart » June 19th, 2018, 10:37 am

I feel like they talked about Boise State more than Utah State.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 19th, 2018, 10:44 am

Thanks for posting that True

I like his game break downs but I'm not a fan on putting numbers on something like a defensive line or offensive line. "They are my 57th offensive line in the country" It sounds analytical but it's really not worth anything. Gives some love to our TE, but he's not going anywhere unless he starts catching the ball. I liked that he talked about playmakers. That's what will make the difference for us. Can we get production from the RB's and WR's? Can we get turnovers on defense? God help us on special teams. I bet Steel has our special teams rated in the 300s LOL. That has to be fixed!

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » June 19th, 2018, 10:52 am

El Sapo wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 10:44 am

I like his game break downs but I'm not a fan on putting numbers on something like a defensive line or offensive line. "They are my 57th offensive line in the country" It sounds analytical but it's really not worth anything. Gives some love to our TE, but he's not going anywhere unless he starts catching the ball. I liked that he talked about playmakers. That's what will make the difference for us. Can we get production from the RB's and WR's? Can we get turnovers on defense? God help us on special teams. I bet Steel has our special teams rated in the 300s LOL. That has to be fixed!
Wait, are you saying Dax Raymond doesn't catch the ball well? Really? I mean, I get that about Terrell, but Raymond has been absolutely solid for us. The one outlier was the Air Force game.

Also, Steele has our ST ranked #4 in the country. I think that's quite a bit high. We had a lackluster return game last year, as well as the occasional breakdown in coverage, but outside the NMSU game our kicking game was world class. Why are you so down on Special Teams?

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 19th, 2018, 10:53 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 10:37 am
I feel like they talked about Boise State more than Utah State.
Probably never saw us play. He "loves talking with coach Wells" and "we have a lot of experienced players returning"

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 19th, 2018, 11:05 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 10:52 am
El Sapo wrote:

Wait, are you saying Dax Raymond doesn't catch the ball well? Really? I mean, I get that about Terrell, but Raymond has been absolutely solid for us. The one outlier was the Air Force game.

Also, Steele has our ST ranked #4 in the country. I think that's quite a bit high. We had a lackluster return game last year, as well as the occasional breakdown in coverage, but outside the NMSU game our kicking game was world class. Why are you so down on Special Teams?
Which TE was dropping the ball in those critical situations late in the season last year? I could be ragging on the wrong guy. As a long suffering Aggie fan I'm probably overly critical of our special teams. It's where we lose games that we've won. I don't consider catching punts as something we should celebrate, but you remember there was a season where our returners couldn't field a punt. Coverage breakdowns and missed game winning kicks. It's part of our team identity until it changes. Numbers don't reflect single plays that cost games, so the stats can look good, but shank a makeable kick, and it's a potential game winner? That's us.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » June 19th, 2018, 11:52 am

Carson Terrell is the TE that has had trouble holding onto passes. Dax Raymond had an uncharacteristically bad game against Air Force, but had otherwise been one of our best players.

I think the Special Teams woes are outdated at this point. Last year was a huge improvement in that area. Granted, I don't think we have a #4 in the country level unit, and we've lost our ST coach, but I do think we are well past Special Teams being a liability.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » June 19th, 2018, 12:51 pm

El Sapo wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 11:05 am
I don't consider catching punts as something we should celebrate...
Homecoming 2011...Colorado State...2:17 left to play...we lead 21-13...4th and 30 for the Rams...WE GOT THIS!! :utah: :state:

Eric Moats muffs the punt...we go on to lose 35-28 in 2OT...I will always celebrate the successful fielding of punts... :disappointed:

ususports

Post by ususports » June 19th, 2018, 3:28 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 11:52 am
Carson Terrell is the TE that has had trouble holding onto passes.
I would take it a step further than having trouble holding onto passes. He mastered the art of having the ball bounce off his hands so perfectly that it would hang in the air long enough that even a grandma using a cane could easily have enough time to casually walk underneath and intercept the pass (she could probably have a enough time to eat a snack before the ball would hit the ground too).

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » June 19th, 2018, 5:12 pm

ususports wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 3:28 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 11:52 am
Carson Terrell is the TE that has had trouble holding onto passes.
I would take it a step further than having trouble holding onto passes. He mastered the art of having the ball bounce off his hands so perfectly that it would hang in the air long enough that even a grandma using a cane could easily have enough time to casually walk underneath and intercept the pass (she could probably have a enough time to eat a snack before the ball would hit the ground too).
True dat. It has the look of a tip drill. I hope he has been catching at least 100 random footballs a day in the off season.

captain68
Has thanked: 0

Post by captain68 » June 19th, 2018, 5:39 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 10:52 am
El Sapo wrote:

Dax had some very uncharacteristically bad drops against New Mexico State. A couple of them would have changed the outcome of that game. With that being said, he is a very solid TE, and one that we are lucky to have! He will have a great season this year!

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » June 19th, 2018, 8:57 pm

captain68 wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 5:39 pm
Dax had some very uncharacteristically bad drops against New Mexico State. A couple of them would have changed the outcome of that game. With that being said, he is a very solid TE, and one that we are lucky to have! He will have a great season this year!
I didn't remember him struggling in the bowl game. I came out of the season thinking that if Dax had been his usual self we would have beaten Air Force, and if Eberle had been himself we would have beaten NMSU. Not blaming them, just recognizing the role that each usually plays so well and how much it hurts the team when they're not on their game. I guess the rest of the team needs to step up when a star is struggling. I'll have to check the stats for the NMSU game and see what I've missed/forgotten.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 19th, 2018, 10:05 pm

I remember some bad spots in the bowl game, I don't remember who had them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 20th, 2018, 9:47 am

It was nice that PK was on vacation when the interview was done. Also, he called the BYU game a toss up and that zoobs would need the win to qualify for bowl game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 22nd, 2018, 6:38 am

Thought it was funny when he was asked about NFL talent in the state and he went to through byu and Utah and then said at usu you don't really think of them having much NFL talent. Haven't we had more NFL guys than byu the last few years?

He did mention Dax and Tipa. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dax have a big year and go pro after this year.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 25th, 2018, 9:53 am

slcagg wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 6:38 am
Thought it was funny when he was asked about NFL talent in the state and he went to through byu and Utah and then said at usu you don't really think of them having much NFL talent. Haven't we had more NFL guys than byu the last few years?

He did mention Dax and Tipa. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dax have a big year and go pro after this year.
Yup, sure seems like we've had more players go pro recently. Just shows his lack of knowledge about out program

Locked Previous topicNext topic