Play of the Game?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Play of the Game?

Post by bluegrouse » October 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm

What’s your play of the game? Lots to choose from but I would say Roc’s sack and fumble recovery sealed the deal.

ChicAggie

Re: Play of the Game?

Post by ChicAggie » October 6th, 2018, 12:14 pm

4th and 1 for BYU. Pick 6 for Galeai. We never looked back.

First play of the second half when Love caught Jordan Nathan in stride for what would have been a soul-crushing 81 yard TD pass would have been a contender had Nathan been able to haul it in . . . .
Last edited by ChicAggie on October 6th, 2018, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 6th, 2018, 12:16 pm

That may have been the worst pass I’ve seen this year. Probably longer.....

tinplater

Post by tinplater » October 6th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Pic Six at the start...did the same thing to BYU that Van Noy's pic six of a Keaton pass did to USU in Logan a few years ago.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 6th, 2018, 12:23 pm

DT catch out of the backfield where it looked like he had nowhere to go, he spun away from one defender made another miss and ran over one other to keep drive alive. We scored shortly after and the route was on.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Tipa's pick 6. gave us all the confidence we needed.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:23 pm
DT catch out of the backfield where it looked like he had nowhere to go, he spun away from one defender made another miss and ran over one other to keep drive alive. We scored shortly after and the route was on.
DT was a stud all night. Definite game ball candidate.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 6th, 2018, 12:35 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:14 pm

First play of the second half when Love caught Jordan Nathan in stride for what would have been a soul-crushing 81 yard TD pass would have been a contender had Nathan been able to haul it in . . . .
Yea that was bad....he sd he got over confident with a score and kept his eyes up too long (whatever that means)

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » October 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Definitely the pick 6 for me. Set the tone quickly for the game.

If someone would have told me the Dax would have only had one reception, and we'd only throw for 165 years I'd assume we would lose.

The team did great as a TEAM. So great to have a fun team to cheer for!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ususports

Post by ususports » October 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I would definitely go with the pick 6. I could watch that highlight over and over again, and never get sick of it.

I know this next thought isn't a specific play. However, I thought it was huge that we had two touchdowns taken away from us, but in both situations, we stilled scored touchdowns on the two drives. They called Vaughns out of bounds around the 15, but the replay showed he clearly never stepped out. The announcers said they couldn't review it because the ref called it a dead ball out of bounds. The other one was Bright appeared to stay in bounds and reached the ball across the goal line, but they called him out at the 2 yard line.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 6th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Pick 6 for sure. I think we believed we were the better team but needed something to confirm that and it gave us a spark and confidence.

Runner up the 4th and goal. Smart call by Wells to go for it and Love made a great play to find his safety valve once he realized the play side was covered.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 6th, 2018, 1:05 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:35 pm
ChicAggie wrote:

Yea that was bad....he sd he got over confident with a score and kept his eyes up too long (whatever that means)
These things happen. Loved his ball control fielding punts in very tight situations. That has been a bugaboo for the Aggies in years past.

Also, we scored a TD on that first possession of the second half anyway, so no harm no foul.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » October 6th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I'd nominate as most underrated play of the game Shaq Bond's hit on the play prior to Tipa's pick six. He came up an laid a lick on the receiver that kept the ball short of the first down marker. This is a tough game to find a single play of the game, and I LOVE IT!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 6th, 2018, 5:00 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 1:05 pm
taniataylor wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:

These things happen. Loved his ball control fielding punts in very tight situations. That has been a bugaboo for the Aggies in years past.

Also, we scored a TD on that first possession of the second half anyway, so no harm no foul.
Yup. It was a tough catch going full speed. No one should hang their head today. Total team win.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 6th, 2018, 5:29 pm

TD to Tarver. Put us up 21-0 and was just an amazing pass - threaded the needle and put it on the button. Was also right in front of me so I got a good look.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 6th, 2018, 6:04 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 1:05 pm
taniataylor wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:

I don't feel as nervous with Jordan returning punts, one of the most difficult jobs on the Field. To my knowledge he has only one that ALMOST got away but didn't.
I thought Tipas pick six set the tone for the beat down. We knew we could beat these guys, that play IMO poured Jet Fuel on the Attitude. I know I almost hit my head on the ceiling downstairs when he got loose and I knew we would score.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 6th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Pick six for sure. I also thought Tarver’s catch in traffic for a touchdown was brilliant.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 6th, 2018, 6:30 pm

ususports wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm
I would definitely go with the pick 6. I could watch that highlight over and over again, and never get sick of it.

I know this next thought isn't a specific play. However, I thought it was huge that we had two touchdowns taken away from us, but in both situations, we stilled scored touchdowns on the two drives. They called Vaughns out of bounds around the 15, but the replay showed he clearly never stepped out. The announcers said they couldn't review it because the ref called it a dead ball out of bounds. The other one was Bright appeared to stay in bounds and reached the ball across the goal line, but they called him out at the 2 yard line.

Yep, that TD stuff blew my mind. There were 3 TDs taken away from us. The TD that Thompson? scored from the 2? called back because WE called time out. Then Love threw that floater back across the field to Bright.

Truely one of the weirdest games I've ever seen. All those mistakes could be placed on Wells if we'd lost the game. After the 2 plays that needed replay, we actually rushed to the line and snapped the ball quickly like we were trying to get a play off BEFORE IT COULD BE REVIEWED????. Just crazy. How many times have we ran plays only to have them negated in order to do a review on the previous play? But that never seems to work for us and Hell would have frozen over before we got a call like that in Provo.

Someone needs to ask Wells if he has someone up in the box watching this stuff on TV and advising him on when to call for a challenge. The score really doesn't show how dominant we were.

One more opservation for those of you watching on ESPN2. Those anouncers were horrible and the actual TV coverage was worse than facebook. Clearly they were all in for BYU, and totally uunprepaired to talk USU.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 6th, 2018, 6:33 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:30 pm
. . . opservation . . . anouncers . . . uunprepaired
Drunk posts are the best.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 6th, 2018, 6:55 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:33 pm
El Sapo wrote:
. . . opservation . . . anouncers . . . uunprepaired
Drunk posts are the best.
Hahahahah. my drunk posts are probably better than my sober ones. This one was rushed due to granddaughters

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » October 6th, 2018, 7:07 pm

taniataylor wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:

He was barely able to get his finger tips on the ball. It would have been a helluva catch if he had nabbed it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 6th, 2018, 7:17 pm

El Sapo wrote:
ususports wrote:

Yep, that TD stuff blew my mind. There were 3 TDs taken away from us. The TD that Thompson? scored from the 2? called back because WE called time out. Then Love threw that floater back across the field to Bright.

Truely one of the weirdest games I've ever seen. All those mistakes could be placed on Wells if we'd lost the game. After the 2 plays that needed replay, we actually rushed to the line and snapped the ball quickly like we were trying to get a play off BEFORE IT COULD BE REVIEWED????. Just crazy. How many times have we ran plays only to have them negated in order to do a review on the previous play? But that never seems to work for us and Hell would have frozen over before we got a call like that in Provo.

Someone needs to ask Wells if he has someone up in the box watching this stuff on TV and advising him on when to call for a challenge. The score really doesn't show how dominant we were.

One more opservation for those of you watching on ESPN2. Those anouncers were horrible and the actual TV coverage was worse than facebook. Clearly they were all in for BYU, and totally uunprepaired to talk USU.

[I thought the production of the game was just fine. The announcers I thought gave the aggies plenty of respect/credit. As for the reviews do the coaches still have flags that they throw for reviews or is everything done by the replay booth? It seems like I have not seen coaches throwing review flags in 2 or so years.]

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » October 12th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Loved this effort by Rocquemore to recover the fumble he created. Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 12th, 2018, 7:31 pm

El Sapo wrote:
ususports wrote:

Once they blew it dead they can’t review whether he stepped out. Most officials would let the play go for that reason and then review it but once they blow it dead that’s it.

Not sure if they could have reviewed the Thompson one or not or if the same rule applies but the Vaughns (I think it was him) play was not reviewable.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 12th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 7:31 pm
El Sapo wrote:
ususports wrote:

Once they blew it dead they can’t review whether he stepped out. Most officials would let the play go for that reason and then review it but once they blow it dead that’s it.

Not sure if they could have reviewed the Thompson one or not or if the same rule applies but the Vaughns (I think it was him) play was not reviewable.
The point El Sapo was making is that Wells ALMOST cost us the game. ;-)

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » October 12th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Had to Love Thompsons run when he hurdled the BYU defender, so impressive 👊🏻

#hornsup!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 12th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Coaches don't have flags in college, just the NFL. In college, coaches just tell the officials they want to challenge. But coaches end up telling them they want to challenge, but then the majority of the time get the review without being charged a challenge.

Locked Previous topicNext topic