The BEST argument for Jay Hill over GA

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

The BEST argument for Jay Hill over GA

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:42 pm

especially since we're talking 2018 GA, since the 2009 GA is not an option.

Look at the one time they faced off as opposing coaches. GA had PAC 12 talent. Hill had NOTHING, and only had ONE year to get his guys in place. But Weber State hung tough, before Oregon State with far superior talent finally pulled away and won 26-7. Tell me that the game would not be different if you gave Hill Oregon State's talent and GA Weber State's 2013 talent.

dyedblue

Re: The BEST argument for Jay Hill over GA

Post by dyedblue » November 29th, 2018, 8:45 pm

This one takes the cake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » November 29th, 2018, 9:02 pm

No question Hill will be considered.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Or when GA had WAC talent and pushed Auburn and Wisconsin all over the field for 59 minutes and beat up BYU and Utah and was able to convince recruits to come to Logan and help him build something where nothing had existed for almost twenty years.

GA is a better coach who made a bad career decision going to Wisconsin and then jumping at the first lifeline he saw to get out which happened to be a dumpster fire in OSU.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 29th, 2018, 9:54 pm

So are moral victories a thing now?

Asking for a friend.

mr swaggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by mr swaggie » November 29th, 2018, 10:00 pm

I prefer Hill but if this was the best argument I would take Gary in a heartbeat

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » November 29th, 2018, 10:02 pm

If Gary doesn't want it

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » November 29th, 2018, 10:16 pm

My understanding is that Jay Hill is planning to be the next HC in Provo.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 29th, 2018, 10:17 pm

rockandrolle wrote:My understanding is that Jay Hill is planning to be the next HC in Provo.
He's got about a year until that happens then

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 29th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Sitake bought himself some time.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 29th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Just got off the phone a few minutes ago and wish I could divulge with whom and name names. The most I can say is the future won't look so bad as things appear to be moving quickly and Neil Brown from Troy is next in line if a bigger school doesn't pick him up. A couple of my friends just got fired from their programs and have been networking and I believe were invited to Troy to showcase their abilities in a practice situation. Also to no surprise quite a few talented coaches actually are interested in USU. My bet is if Hartwell can swing the deal with Neil it will be done quickly and disruption to he program minimized.

For all of you GA fans which I am not he is still a pariah and the programs I have talked to have no regard for him...some of it believe it or not is skepticism about his head coaching abilities but most of it they say is because of his lack of integrity and character failings which led to his downfall at OSU. His departure was forced not one of nobility. Hartwell is an integrity guy so no worries about resurrecting GA. As far as Hill goes many programs see him as a hot but risky candidate. Some great coaches have come out of the Big Sky but all too often hiring one leads to decline as we so well know with Montana's Mick Dennehey and Weber State's Dave Arslanian. I will miss Yost and Patterson as they are what infused the program with some much needed dynamic play. I credit Wells mostly for his recruiting acumen and ability to find good coordinators.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 29th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 10:25 pm
Just got off the phone a few minutes ago and wish I could divulge with whom and name names. The most I can say is the future won't look so bad as things appear to be moving quickly and Neil Brown from Troy is next in line if a bigger school doesn't pick him up. A couple of my friends just got fired from their programs and have been networking and I believe were invited to Troy to showcase their abilities in a practice situation. Also to no surprise quite a few talented coaches actually are interested in USU. My bet is if Hartwell can swing the deal with Neil it will be done quickly and disruption to he program minimized.

For all of you GA fans which I am not he is still a pariah and the programs I have talked to have no regard for him...some of it believe it or not is skepticism about his head coaching abilities but most of it they say is because of his lack of integrity and character failings which led to his downfall at OSU. His departure was forced not one of nobility. Hartwell is an integrity guy so no worries about resurrecting GA. As far as Hill goes many programs see him as a hot but risky candidate. Some great coaches have come out of the Big Sky but all too often hiring one leads to decline as we so well know with Montana's Mick Dennehey and Weber State's Dave Arslanian. I will miss Yost and Patterson as they are what infused the program with some much needed dynamic play. I credit Wells mostly for his recruiting acumen and ability to find good coordinators.
Why spread this crap? Maybe someone you trust told you, but it isn’t true. You think Gary was forced out but allowed them to not pay him a cent of the $12 million they owed him? Not a chance.
Gary had just reached his breaking point and couldn’t do it anymore. Maybe it was due to “lack of integrity” or “character failings” or whatever you want to call it, but he definitely voluntarily walked away from it.

Also, I’d be happy to wager that Neal* Brown will not be our next head coach.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 29th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:Just got off the phone a few minutes ago and wish I could divulge with whom and name names. The most I can say is the future won't look so bad as things appear to be moving quickly and Neil Brown from Troy is next in line if a bigger school doesn't pick him up. A couple of my friends just got fired from their programs and have been networking and I believe were invited to Troy to showcase their abilities in a practice situation. Also to no surprise quite a few talented coaches actually are interested in USU. My bet is if Hartwell can swing the deal with Neil it will be done quickly and disruption to he program minimized.

Are we going to pay a 3 million are buyout? That's like more than half of what Wells made here his entire time combined.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 29th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Swish I am not spreading that crap. It is common knowledge that goes well beyond this fan board. I guess our sources are different you believe yours and I will believe mine. And no I would not wager on Brown as the coaching market right now is as unpredictable as the stock market. So many opportunities and a lot of it is who you know and its quite possible that Coach Brown gets plucked by a bigger program...so I am wagering that you would definitely be on the right side of that wager.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 29th, 2018, 10:39 pm

That is the million dollar question and a critical one at that.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2018, 10:42 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Mediocre at Best wrote:Just got off the phone a few minutes ago and wish I could divulge with whom and name names. The most I can say is the future won't look so bad as things appear to be moving quickly and Neil Brown from Troy is next in line if a bigger school doesn't pick him up. A couple of my friends just got fired from their programs and have been networking and I believe were invited to Troy to showcase their abilities in a practice situation. Also to no surprise quite a few talented coaches actually are interested in USU. My bet is if Hartwell can swing the deal with Neil it will be done quickly and disruption to he program minimized.

Are we going to pay a 3 million are buyout? That's like more than half of what Wells made here his entire time combined.

Exactly. It’s not gonna be Brown.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2018, 10:54 pm

I would love Neal Brown. Ironically, he was the OC for TT from 2010-2012 and runs the fast paced offense similar to Yost. However, he's making over $800k per year right now.

USU would be a lateral move and not necessarily an upgrade. In fact, I'm a bit surprised he isn't in more demand (or maybe he is).

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 29th, 2018, 11:31 pm

It is not Brown. Take it to the bank.

Locked Previous topicNext topic