Here comes Gary

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Re: Here comes Gary

Post by bluegrouse » December 4th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:15 pm
aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 6:28 pm
bullshot wrote:Why do we need a “search” firm and how much is USU paying this firm. Most everyone on this board know it will be either GA, Hill, or the guy from Troy (dark horse).
I don’t understand why we need a search firm. A lot of ADs hire without a firm. Isn’t that what we are paying him for?

I think the wait to hire a coach is bad for the program. The kids are waiting, the recruits are waiting, and we have coaches who have no idea what their future holds.

I know many on this board will say trust Hartwell and I do, but I don’t think we needed to pay a search firm to hire our next coach and 10-14 days is too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one thing we can all probably agree on is "the search firm" is weird and probably unnecessary. We have a great AD that knows of the local coaches and knows of the coaches in the Southeast. What diamond in the rough coach is the search firm really going to find that the AD wouldn't be aware of? Or maybe like others I feel like the last time we heard that a search firm was being used it resulted in disaster so I'm skeptical.
I don’t agree. Not weird at all and if Hartwell wants to use one, I’m all for it.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » December 4th, 2018, 9:57 pm

I feel like a broken record, but a search firm can be used if you have a candidate with a “sketchy past” and you need some real info on them that your HR policies won’t allow you to obtain through normal channels. A search firm is a good thing, just because Barnes had “two feet out the door” and he botched the b-ball coaching search, doesn’t mean the search firm was the problem. Ok, goodnight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm

donlarson8 wrote:I feel like a broken record, but a search firm can be used if you have a candidate with a “sketchy past” and you need some real info on them that your HR policies won’t allow you to obtain through normal channels. A search firm is a good thing, just because Barnes had “two feet out the door” and he botched the b-ball coaching search, doesn’t mean the search firm was the problem. Ok, goodnight!

I know with HR policies for the State of Alaska we weren’t allowed to a) ask people we knew who knew them too about them, b) look at social media profiles, c) ask different questions to different candidates

Hail Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 4th, 2018, 10:14 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:55 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:15 pm
aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 6:28 pm
bullshot wrote:Why do we need a “search” firm and how much is USU paying this firm. Most everyone on this board know it will be either GA, Hill, or the guy from Troy (dark horse).
I don’t understand why we need a search firm. A lot of ADs hire without a firm. Isn’t that what we are paying him for?

I think the wait to hire a coach is bad for the program. The kids are waiting, the recruits are waiting, and we have coaches who have no idea what their future holds.

I know many on this board will say trust Hartwell and I do, but I don’t think we needed to pay a search firm to hire our next coach and 10-14 days is too long.

The one thing we can all probably agree on is "the search firm" is weird and probably unnecessary. We have a great AD that knows of the local coaches and knows of the coaches in the Southeast. What diamond in the rough coach is the search firm really going to find that the AD wouldn't be aware of? Or maybe like others I feel like the last time we heard that a search firm was being used it resulted in disaster so I'm skeptical.
I don’t agree. Not weird at all and if Hartwell wants to use one, I’m all for it.
Oh I definitely trust Hartwell to find the right guy. He has a proven track record. I just have nightmares from 2015.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 4th, 2018, 10:15 pm

It isn't weird, just normal. One reason is that early on when interest in the job is being assessed the AD can say we haven't had any discussions with so and so.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 4th, 2018, 10:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 10:15 pm
It isn't weird, just normal. One reason is that early on when interest in the job is being assessed the AD can say we haven't had any discussions with so and so.
Fair enough. How many programs use a search firm when hiring a coach? You don't hear of them, but I also don't pay close attention to every coaching search around the country.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 4th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 4th, 2018, 10:43 pm

I don't know about anybody else but I have not slept since the word went out that Wells left for Lubbock State College.

Also I am starting to get a whitehead on my eyeball, is this a bad thing?

aggiefan4ever44
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 4th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Chatman wrote:The search continues......

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-u ... continues/
Does not sound like they are close. I still think we need a coach sooner rather than later. I personally am not happy that we are spending $100,000 to have a for. Search for a candidate. Freaking hold interviews and decide. It makes me a little super that Hartwell is just looking after his own interest in this process.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 4th, 2018, 11:00 pm

I’m not impressed with Hartwell at all for this coaching search. These reports make it sound like he’s taking orders from this idiotic search firm while he’s vacationing in New York. He should have never left and should be here conducting interviews himself instead of shirking his responsibility to the search firm.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » December 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm

I know it feels like it's been an eternity for info to come out, but I'm glad that they are taking their time and not making a knee jerk selection after Coach Wells announced he's leaving.

Hartwell could have left everyone in the dark about the hiring process but instead was transparent and candid in his conference call regarding the firm and process they would use to interview candidates.

I believe Hartwell completely understands the importance of making the right hire and is going to make every effort possible to find the right fit for USU.

It sucks to wait, but I'd rather wait a week or two for the right coach then live with a mistake for a few years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by usufan1 on December 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggiefan4ever44

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Sounds like we may have lost GA. I hope Hartwell knows what he is doing.

aggiefan4ever44

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 4th, 2018, 11:06 pm

usufan1 wrote:I know it feels like it's been an eternity for info to come out, but I'm glad that they are taking their time and not making a knee jerk selection after Coach Wells announced he's leaving.

Hartwell could have left everyone in the dark about the hiring process but instead was transparent and candid in his conference call regarding the firm and process they would use to interview candidates.

I believe Hartwell completely understands the importance of making the right hire and is going to make every effort possible to find the right fit for USU.

It sucks to wait, but I'd rather wait a week or two for the right coach then live with a mistake for a few years.

But in the meantime the players and coaches that chose to stay are the ones being hurt. I know some are willing to wait, but it is not fair to the players. Do the interviews and choose one.

jeepnfonz
Has thanked: 0

Here comes Gary

Post by jeepnfonz » December 4th, 2018, 11:08 pm

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:Image

Sounds like we may have lost GA. I hope Hartwell knows what he is doing.

Really not happy how this is going. Bad part is we won’t know how bad for 2-3 years. I’m sorry but personally I am very frustrated with this Hartwell and this search firm B.S.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 4th, 2018, 11:08 pm

I want Gary so bad.... But if he throws a fit because we didn't offer him right away. That is a bit lame to me. USU is just supposed to forget that he bolted on us and of late seemed to have some issues no one seems to have a knowledge of. We owe Gary nothing. If he really wants back he should be a little more understanding I think.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 4th, 2018, 11:10 pm

On a completely different note..... What is the purpose of a FIRM. isn't that why we pay an AD?

aggiefan4ever44

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 4th, 2018, 11:11 pm

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:I want Gary so bad.... But if he throws a fit because we didn't offer him right away. That is a bit lame to me. USU is just supposed to forget that he bolted on us and of late seemed to have some issues no one seems to have a knowledge of. We owe Gary nothing. If he really wants back he should be a little more understanding I think.
I don’t think that is what it said. Seems like it is an internal struggle that may have kept us from offering. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t like the search firm.

aggiefan4ever44

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 4th, 2018, 11:12 pm

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:On a completely different note..... What is the purpose of a FIRM. isn't that why we pay an AD?
Exactly. This is how I feel.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » December 4th, 2018, 11:12 pm

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
usufan1 wrote:I know it feels like it's been an eternity for info to come out, but I'm glad that they are taking their time and not making a knee jerk selection after Coach Wells announced he's leaving.

But in the meantime the players and coaches that chose to stay are the ones being hurt. I know some are willing to wait, but it is not fair to the players. Do the interviews and choose one.

Not disagreeing with you, but the wrong hire could hurt the players and coaches for the next few seasons.

Until a coach is named and we have a chance to see the product they yield on the field it's hard to say that the search is hurting us.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 4th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Good grief. There is nothing wrong with hiring a search firm to help in the process.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 4th, 2018, 11:15 pm

I don’t know why people keep saying time doesn’t matter. That’s ridiculous. The new coach needs to shore up the current commits and finalize the class in a very short period of time. I don’t care how good of a coach he is, if he doesn’t have good players he’s not gonna win. Clock is ticking.

aggiefan4ever44

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 4th, 2018, 11:15 pm

usufan1 wrote:
aggiefan4ever44 wrote:

Not disagreeing with you, but the wrong hire could hurt the players and coaches for the next few seasons.

Until a coach is named and we have a chance to see the product they yield on the field it's hard to say that the search is hurting us.

I see what you are saying, but I reality it will be a few years either way. Either they are successful and they leave for a P5 school or they suck and they get fired. Either way 2 years. Just make a choice. I do see what you are saying though and you may not be wrong.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » December 4th, 2018, 11:23 pm

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
usufan1 wrote:
aggiefan4ever44 wrote:

I see what you are saying, but I reality it will be a few years either way. Either they are successful and they leave for a P5 school or they suck and they get fired. Either way 2 years. Just make a choice. I do see what you are saying though and you may not be wrong.

To me the fact you pointed out about the new coach possibly being gone in a few years from either success or failure is the frustration I have with how the culture is in college athletics and who we are at USU compared to other schools with larger budgets.

We want coaches and players to be invested and devoted to Utah State, but the coach is becoming a very fluid piece of the puzzle.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 4th, 2018, 11:24 pm

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:11 pm
aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:I want Gary so bad.... But if he throws a fit because we didn't offer him right away. That is a bit lame to me. USU is just supposed to forget that he bolted on us and of late seemed to have some issues no one seems to have a knowledge of. We owe Gary nothing. If he really wants back he should be a little more understanding I think.
I don’t think that is what it said. Seems like it is an internal struggle that may have kept us from offering. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t like the search firm.

I agree sir. 100% on that.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 4th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:49 pm
jackmormon wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:28 pm
People are going to take this the wrong way, but here goes. If USU hire an active member of the local religion, whose name is now to long to type, I’m afraid that they will be using us as an audition for HC at BYU. It will at the very least be seen by Zoob fans that way. I don’t want to be thought of as a pipeline for BYU.

If the next coach is successful, chances are they will be poached by someone. But I can’t bare the thought of that someone being BYU.
I don’t think BYU is considered a better job than USU any longer and I don’t think they pay much more either. If Hill bolts it will be for a P5.
There would be a tremendous amount of pressure from all quarters to serve the Lord’s football program.

I would guess Sitake makes closer to two million than one.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 4th, 2018, 11:40 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:57 pm
I feel like a broken record, but a search firm can be used if you have a candidate with a “sketchy past” and you need some real info on them that your HR policies won’t allow you to obtain through normal channels. A search firm is a good thing, just because Barnes had “two feet out the door” and he botched the b-ball coaching search, doesn’t mean the search firm was the problem. Ok, goodnight!

I’m starting to wonder if part of the deal on Andersen’s exit from OSU included a non disclosure agreement.

N8boz

Post by N8boz » December 4th, 2018, 11:43 pm

People think hiring a coach is like ordering one on amazon.
Taking your time on finding a coach is the smart thing. Like the guy who just marries the first girl who kisses him. Yeah, maybe take a few on dates possibly use a matchmaker.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 4th, 2018, 11:51 pm

N8boz wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:43 pm
People think hiring a coach is like ordering one on amazon.
Taking your time on finding a coach is the smart thing. Like the guy who just marries the first girl who kisses him. Yeah, maybe take a few on dates possibly use a matchmaker.

I knew we weren't dealing with Amazon when I heard we had to pay for the delivery of our coach.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 5th, 2018, 1:05 am

not sure what the law is in Utah but some public schools use search firms to avoid state transparency laws that could require disclosure of documents and communications related to the search process if done directly by university personnel.

Not to mention the other functions a search firm can perform. Screening candidates, gauging interest, evaluating contested of targets, scheduling interviews, etc.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 5th, 2018, 1:36 am

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 10:50 pm
Chatman wrote:The search continues......

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-u ... continues/
Does not sound like they are close. I still think we need a coach sooner rather than later. I personally am not happy that we are spending $100,000 to have a for. Search for a candidate. Freaking hold interviews and decide. It makes me a little super that Hartwell is just looking after his own interest in this process.

His interest is our interest. I swear this board would make Oliver Stone proud.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 5th, 2018, 1:42 am

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:15 pm
usufan1 wrote:
aggiefan4ever44 wrote:

But don’t you want to give us the very best chance at having the successful one? You can’t just pick one from a list and hope for the best. You have to do your due diligence, interview them, look at your options and make an informed decision.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 5th, 2018, 4:30 am

R-E-L-A-X

We may not get GA, but if he's going to be a prima dona ego maniac he can get over it because I guarantee we are his only D1 shot right now. Maybe if we hire Hill he could go to Weber for a year or two and prove himself.

We need to have a coach by our bowl game.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 5th, 2018, 5:51 am

GeoAg wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 10:15 pm
Unless you know you are hiring an assistant coach that has been around for a long time, it is the only way to go. And taking a few weeks this juncture is the right thing to do. Better to get the right guy than rush it, even if you do end up going with GA. Is is a much better decision if you have fully vetted some others and taken a hard look at what is out there.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 5th, 2018, 6:35 am

Mayyyybe Mr Hartwell is waiting to see how Coach Maile handles things before he makes a decision

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

bullshot

Post by bullshot » December 5th, 2018, 6:47 am

aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 11:15 pm
usufan1 wrote:
aggiefan4ever44 wrote:
usufan1 wrote:I know it feels like it's been an eternity for info tom come out, but I'm glad that they are taking their time and not making a knee jerk selection after Coach Wells announced he's leaving.

++1

Locked Previous topicNext topic