Bowl Game Thought!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Bowl Game Thought!

Post by Aggie84025 » December 15th, 2018, 5:20 pm

A couple of thoughts about the game.

-The team was super motivated to play the game. Hats off to Maile, Collins, Unga and Yost. Aside from a few stupid penalties the team played great. You could feel their vibe from the sidelines.
-The New Mexico bowl does a really nice job. My kids, niece and nephew loved the fan fest. The free wings from wing stop were fantastic.
-Weather was great. It was 52 at kickoff and was very pleasant.
-Decent turnout of Aggie fans. There was some posts saying NT would have 3 times as many as fans. Aggies has more fans than NT. Still need to get more Aggies to come to these games. The 2 week turnaround is fun, but if you prepare a few months before a lot of the bowls we got to are driveable and not to bad to get to.
-Hats off to the team. It was great to see them read NT the right act. Great season.

Machismo

Re: Bowl Game Thought!

Post by Machismo » December 15th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Thanks for posting, it sure was fun to watch

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 15th, 2018, 7:04 pm

The way this team played today, with an interim head coach and staff, for me re-enforces the belief that Wells and several coaches were distracted during the Colorado State and Boise State games. The team looked much better today than in the previous two games.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 7:04 pm
The way this team played today, with an interim head coach and staff, for me re-enforces the belief that Wells and several coaches were distracted during the Colorado State and Boise State games. The team looked much better today than in the previous two games.
What explains the CSU game? And why were the players distracted? And love missed some wide open looks today. What explains that?

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:The way this team played today, with an interim head coach and staff, for me re-enforces the belief that Wells and several coaches were distracted during the Colorado State and Boise State games. The team looked much better today than in the previous two games.
We just said almost the exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 15th, 2018, 7:30 pm

All I know is the Aggies beat the Fudge outa lil' ole greenie.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 15th, 2018, 8:05 pm

If you surround yourself with idiots you are bound to be in constant agreement.

Hail Aggies!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 15th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Really wish I could have been there.

aggiefan4ever44
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » December 16th, 2018, 12:12 am

This is my first time coming to the New Mexico Bowl. It was really fun and I did not mind the drive. Me and the wife stopped in Moab the first night and drove the rest of the way the next day. Great experiencer helps that the kicked A**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 16th, 2018, 8:21 am

gomretat wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 7:25 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 7:04 pm
What explains the CSU game? And why were the players distracted? And love missed some wide open looks today. What explains that?
I think my post answered your first question even before you asked it.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 16th, 2018, 9:35 am

I drove down at 4am with two other Aggies and an Aggie well-wisher. My Aggie cup runneth o’er. The weather, the food, the seats, the game - everything was awesome. Whataburger for lunch. Frontier restaurant (an institution) for dinner. Big Aggie win. Lots of Aggies. 15 renditions of the Scotsman. Back in my warm bed at 11:30 pm.

I really didn’t like the two unsportsmanlike celebrations - but I’ll forgive and forget.

Go Aggs!!

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 16th, 2018, 10:51 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 8:05 pm
If you surround yourself with idiots you are bound to be in constant agreement.
:lol:

It's why I post here!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 16th, 2018, 11:12 am

It was a great game, but watching Fresno take out ASU, made me wish we would have had a better opponent. I really believe we had a better team than Boise and Fresno this year. In the end we played our schedule and got what we deserved.

I couldn't help thinking about the changes coming with GA and the new coordinators. I'll be happy to see us run a more pro style offense. The up-tempo no-huddle worked great so it's hard to be critical. Thanks for everything, but I'm OK that Yost and his gimmick offense is gone. GA needs to build confidence in our players, show them that we can win without trickery. I believe we're at the point where it's coaching not the players keeping us from winning championship games.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 16th, 2018, 11:18 am

El Sapo wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 11:12 am
It was a great game, but watching Fresno take out ASU, made me wish we would have had a better opponent. I really believe we had a better team than Boise and Fresno this year. In the end we played our schedule and got what we deserved.

I couldn't help thinking about the changes coming with GA and the new coordinators. I'll be happy to see us run a more pro style offense. The up-tempo no-huddle worked great so it's hard to be critical. Thanks for everything, but I'm OK that Yost and his gimmick offense is gone. GA needs to build confidence in our players, show them that we can win without trickery. I believe we're at the point where it's coaching not the players keeping us from winning championship games.
Boise beat us. I think they had a better team.I think a big reason we scored so Many points was because we ran a hurry up style offense.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 16th, 2018, 12:25 pm

I feel like it’s the day after Christmas. Great ball game, great effort, great team, what a great year.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 16th, 2018, 12:34 pm

I also feel like it’s the day after Christmas, but don’t have that sinking feeling of a long cold winter ahead. I love that Gary is back. I can only speak for myself, but I love to hear him speak, especially now that he is speaking on behalf of MY UTAH STATE AGGIES!!!!! I appreciate the season that Matt had, but Gary does something different for me, makes me believe, and me believing leads to more dedication and larger donations on my part. Never. been happier about being an Aggie.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 16th, 2018, 11:32 pm

El Sapo wrote:It was a great game, but watching Fresno take out ASU, made me wish we would have had a better opponent. I really believe we had a better team than Boise and Fresno this year. In the end we played our schedule and got what we deserved.

Pro teams don’t even run pro-style offenses anymore.

Hail Aggies!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 16th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Yeah, I don’t think you can call this year’s offense a gimmick offense. We just lined up quick and beat people. We didn’t run a bunch of trick plays. We just pushed tempo and kept defenses on their heels. Nothing gimmicky about that at all IMO.

Also the most dynamic and entertaining offense I’ve ever seen at Utah State BY FAR!!! Hard-pressed to think of many others anywhere else either.....

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2018, 5:19 am

Agreed. What was wrong with the up-tempo offense? Plenty of other teams employ the same offensive strategy and still aren't as successful as we were this season. Attention Gary and Mike Sanford Jr., if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » December 17th, 2018, 7:07 am

This offense set the MWC record for points scored in a season - this while we pumped the breaks for half the games. Always nice to top BYU for a record. I would love to see more of this type of offense, so fun to watch. Execution becomes paramount however, if we don’t continue to move the ball the defense has a very long day on the field.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2018, 7:44 am

I have no issues with the offense. It was the most entertaining offense I have seen from the Aggies. Lots of great players making lots of great plays. I hope we can keep that type of offense around int he future, but I understand it will probably change with Yost leaving. I also thought the defense played well. They took the ball away at a high rate. We had some weaknesses that the better teams were able to exploit, but it was a great year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic