Fall Camp Updates!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieUprising50

Re: Fall Camp Updates!

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 6th, 2019, 10:27 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 9:22 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:45 pm
anyone have updates of how practice went today with the first day of the full pads? Thanks in advance I do appreciate it
Here's the Herald Journal's write up from Monday's practice. In summary it's similar to what I saw. The defense dominating the offense.

https://www.hjnews.com/sports/usu/usu-d ... a1094.html
Sounds like the secondary is coming along. Might be thin at safety, but I’ll take it.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 6th, 2019, 10:43 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 10:27 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
anyone have updates of how practice went today with the first day of the full pads? Thanks in advance I do appreciate it
Here's the Herald Journal's write up from Monday's practice. In summary it's similar to what I saw. The defense dominating the offense.

Sounds like the secondary is coming along. Might be thin at safety, but I’ll take it.
SMH JORDAN NATHAN
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
Aggie19sneed

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2019, 11:23 am

I am going to be insanely happy when Riley Burt gets 20 carries for 115 yards and 2 TDs against BYU this year. I literally may need to be tied down to the ground to prevent floating away.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 4):
aggies22thegreendalegelfdonlarson8IdaAg93

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 6th, 2019, 11:41 am

taniataylor wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 10:43 am
SMH JORDAN NATHAN
Give the kid a break.

Who knows whether it was a bad pass rather than a bad route?!?!?!? To me it looks like the CB was the intended target :noidea:
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 2):
taniataylorIdaAg93

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 6th, 2019, 11:56 am

Machismo wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 8:27 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 8:09 pm
lcrasmus wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 4:17 pm
El Sapo wrote:I'm OK with running Yost's offense as long as we don't run it crazy up-tempo like the last 2 years. I'm hoping that we huddle between offensive plays in our standard offense and go up-tempo / no huddle only when the situation dictates.
So what you're saying is you're not ok running Yost's offense? The entire premise was speed and keeping the opponent from subbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah not sure why you’d want to slow down that offense. I would like us to be able to at least take a snap under center so we can utilize QB sneaks etc but our speed in getting plays in and out was what made that offense go
I went up today and the O was getting snaps off within 10 seconds after the ball was blown dead. Seemed to me like it was quicker than last season,Very impressive.
Impressed with Zahodri Jackson at corner. I payed particular attention to him covering Scarver for a few plays, he stayed step for step with him, almost looked liked Jackson knew what routes he was running in advance.
I only want us to slow it down so that the pro scouts can look at Love (and others) running a "pro style" offense. There always seems to be a question / discussion about "is it the talent or the system" when teams run a gimmick offense. Stanford has been successful developing pro QB's, and I like his offensive philosophy, so I'm good with whatever he throws out there.

Think about it, was last year the rule? Or. was it the exception? Remember, just one year before last we wanted Yost and Wells gone. Our offensive plays looked like they were being called by the opposing team. hahahahahah Not easy for me to forget.

Love will find a way.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm

El Sapo wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:56 am
Machismo wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:
El Sapo wrote:I'm OK with running Yost's offense as long as we don't run it crazy up-tempo like the last 2 years. I'm hoping that we huddle between offensive plays in our standard offense and go up-tempo / no huddle only when the situation dictates.
So what you're saying is you're not ok running Yost's offense? The entire premise was speed and keeping the opponent from subbing.

Yeah not sure why you’d want to slow down that offense. I would like us to be able to at least take a snap under center so we can utilize QB sneaks etc but our speed in getting plays in and out was what made that offense go
I went up today and the O was getting snaps off within 10 seconds after the ball was blown dead. Seemed to me like it was quicker than last season,Very impressive.
Impressed with Zahodri Jackson at corner. I payed particular attention to him covering Scarver for a few plays, he stayed step for step with him, almost looked liked Jackson knew what routes he was running in advance.
I only want us to slow it down so that the pro scouts can look at Love (and others) running a "pro style" offense. There always seems to be a question / discussion about "is it the talent or the system" when teams run a gimmick offense. Stanford has been successful developing pro QB's, and I like his offensive philosophy, so I'm good with whatever he throws out there.

Think about it, was last year the rule? Or. was it the exception? Remember, just one year before last we wanted Yost and Wells gone. Our offensive plays looked like they were being called by the opposing team. hahahahahah Not easy for me to forget.

Love will find a way.
The best young QBs in the league are Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Pat Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson. Stop worrying about "pro-style" offenses.

Also speak for yourself about Yost being on the hot seat. Most folks around here wanted Wells gone and Yost to replace him.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
donlarson8

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 6th, 2019, 12:10 pm

El Sapo wrote:
Machismo wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:

Love will find a way.
You seem to have a bias against fast tempo offenses in general. Maybe you're old school, or maybe Chip Kelly insulted you when you asked him for his autograph. I don't know, but I think the fast tempo gives us the best chance to win with the type of personnel we recruit and develop here.

Agreed with YBA, most everyone gave Yost the credit for turning the offense around. When the offense was abysmal for so many years (really 2013 until 2018) the common denominator was Wells.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 6th, 2019, 12:12 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm
El Sapo wrote:
Machismo wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:

Love will find a way.
The best young QBs in the league are Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Pat Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson. Stop worrying about "pro-style" offenses.

Also speak for yourself about Yost being on the hot seat. Most folks around here wanted Wells gone and Yost to replace him.
Almost all the young QBs in the league seeing a modicum of success came from spread +uptempo offenses. You're onto something here. Carson Wentz being the only notable exception but adding in Dak Prescott and Jared Goff for two additional products of spread offenses.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 6th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

[Thank you for sharing that article. Do you feel it is a concern with how the offense is playing or just that defense has more returning players and know the system better? I do feel our defense can be really good this year, but based on the article I am a little concerned with the offense.]

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

[Thank you for sharing that article. Do you feel it is a concern with how the offense is playing or just that defense has more returning players and know the system better? I do feel our defense can be really good this year, but based on the article I am a little concerned with the offense.]
Rule #1: Never worry how your offense performs against your defense in fall camp. They know what plays are being called.

Rule #2: Believe in our defense. Our DL is ridiculously stacked.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 8):
USU78BearLakeMonsterMadmartigansneedZaggie07aggies22IdaAg93newtonianblue

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 6th, 2019, 1:19 pm

El Sapo wrote:
Machismo wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:

Love will find a way.
Being a defensive guy at heart I understand your sentiment but why would you want to mess with what the Aggies have going. As long as the first downs and scores are coming there is nothing wrong with fast tempo especially when the Defense was so good at creating TOs last year. Its when the Aggies under Wells and Myer would have 6-7 three and outs a game going no huddle that the Defense suffered with too many reps.

When you are scoring and winning the field position battle the defense can amp up the level of agresssion and risk taking and have fun while the opposing team feels a need to try and keep up and abandons the power game that can tire a defense not getting much rest.

If you don't have the QB and offensive talent but you do on D I agree. Slow it down and game manage. But when you have Love, Bright, Nathan and company go at them fast and take plenty of home run shots.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveysneed

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 6th, 2019, 1:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 1:15 pm
El Sapo wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 1:05 pm
I'm OK with running Yost's offense as long as we don't run it crazy up-tempo like the last 2 years. I'm hoping that we huddle between offensive plays in our standard offense and go up-tempo / no huddle only when the situation dictates.
Sanford has stated numerous times that if it's possible, they will go even faster than last year.
BUT WHAT ABOUT TIME OF POSSESSION!?!?!!? WE WERE TERRIBLE AT THAT LAST YEAR!! :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 6th, 2019, 5:13 pm

treesap32 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 1:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
I'm OK with running Yost's offense as long as we don't run it crazy up-tempo like the last 2 years. I'm hoping that we huddle between offensive plays in our standard offense and go up-tempo / no huddle only when the situation dictates.
Sanford has stated numerous times that if it's possible, they will go even faster than last year.
BUT WHAT ABOUT TIME OF POSSESSION!?!?!!? WE WERE TERRIBLE AT THAT LAST YEAR!! :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
I know! Brent Guy is spinning in his grave.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 6th, 2019, 5:18 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 5:13 pm
treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
i dont think he's dead

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 6th, 2019, 5:21 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 5:18 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
i dont think he's dead
Well, duh! Dead people can't spin.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
NVAggie

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 6th, 2019, 5:26 pm

aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
As we should. The main reason we had so many big 20+ yard plays was the speed and tempo. Not letting subs or even defensive calls into the game. If you find a mismatch exploit it.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 6th, 2019, 6:19 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
i dont think he's dead
Dead to me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
NVAggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 6th, 2019, 6:24 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 5:26 pm
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
As we should. The main reason we had so many big 20+ yard plays was the speed and tempo. Not letting subs or even defensive calls into the game. If you find a mismatch exploit it.
I see an article where he says he'll play like I suggested, fast only when it's necessary. https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2019/3 ... nford.aspx

Do you have any links to support your faster than last year statement?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm

1. Sanford isn’t Yost, but he is coaching and planning with offense personnel heavily influenced by a Yost.

2. I didn’t like the over use of bubble screens either, but to pretend that’s all we were is a big disservice to guys like Turbin, Kerwynn, Bartlett, Eric Moats, Tialavea, Cam Webb, Joe Hill, TVL, Travis Reynolds, Shaan Johnson, and Chuck Jacobs.

In sports unlike many other things we look back and remember the bad and we forget that Nick Diaz was one of the better kickers we’ve had because Arkansas State blocks a game winning kick.

It’s just important to not ignore success and pretend it was all bubble screens.

Believe it or not bubble screens do serve a purpose.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » August 6th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere but Cash Gilliam went down with a knee injury during practice today. Was in a lot of pain and didn’t put much weight on it.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm

A few observations I had from my perspective today,

- Jaylen Warren broke the very first run in the scrimmage for a TD. Then later in the red zone he broke another one for a TD. He was noticeably more powerful than our safeties once he got in the backfield. He’s good. I expect a split with carries among the RB’s again this year.

- The offense had more success against the defense today. The playbook seemed to be opened a bit and with the 1’s. I would probably say the offense overall got the better of the defense in scrimmaging.

- Braxton Gunther was getting reps with the 1’s at safety and he sure looks undersized. Gives me a little concern. Combine that with the fact that Cash Gilliam left with an injury today and the lack of depth at safety is jumping to the forefront of concerns for me. I sure wish there was some late JC qualifier we could add to the team at this point for needed depth. Freaking Ingram...

- Caleb Repp made an athletic catch at TE with the 1’s. Him and Terrell split reps I believe. Terrill is a better blocker but Repp definitely has better hands in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if we seen some double tight end sets this year with the talent at TE. (Count me confused as to why Logan Lee is playing TE and not defense.)

- Riley Burt sure looks the part physically but I just don’t ever see him do anything when he gets the ball scrimmaging. He runs really high and seems to get taken down without much gain.

- The o line looked serviceable today (still not great). They are working hard and improving I think though.

- A player I noticed today was Cooper Legas. He didn’t do much to stand out at QB but man for a freshman he is strong and fast. Looks like a star safety to me. I know he came to USU to play QB but I hope he eventually switches.

- Overall I have some concern about depth. I feel there’s a pretty noticeable change in size and athleticism with the backups.

- The receivers as a whole have been a pleasant surprise to me. I feel less concerned about it than previously. Savon Scarver was running with the 1’s today.

- Jordan Nathan is also a noticeable leader on the team. He’s always out talking to guys and encouraging/ helping them. He’s a great teammate.

- Again the energy and competitiveness are noticeable. I’m impressed with it at practice. I feel like you can really see that guys are getting better. Coach Sanford is fun to watch too. He’s very involved. He was known as a young star in coaching before he flopped at Western Kentucky. I’m really curious what happened there because he really seems to be a top notch coach.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on August 6th, 2019, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
El Sapo

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm

El Sapo wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:24 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
I see an article where he says he'll play like I suggested, fast only when it's necessary. https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2019/3 ... nford.aspx

The only link I have is Sanford told me that personally.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
donlarson8utahcountyaggie

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 6th, 2019, 6:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm
El Sapo wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

He said it on 1 of his 1st interviews with Scotty G

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:36 pm
A few observations I had from my perspective today,

- Jaylen Warren broke the very first run in the scrimmage for a TD. Then later in the red zone he broke another one for a TD. He was noticeably more powerful than our safeties once he got in the backfield. He’s good. I expect a split with carries among the RB’s again this year.

- The offense had more success against the defense today. The playbook seemed to be opened a bit and with the 1’s. I would probably say the offense overall got the better of the defense in scrimmaging.

- Braxton Gunther was getting reps with the 1’s at safety and he sure looks undersized. Gives me a little concern. Combine that with the fact that Cash Gilliam left with an injury today and the lack of depth at safety is jumping to the forefront of concerns for me. I sure wish there was some late JC qualifier we could add to the team at this point for needed depth. Freaking Ingram...

- Caleb Repp made an athletic catch at TE with the 1’s. Him and Terrell split reps I believe. Terrill is a better blocker but Repp definitely has better hands in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if we seen some double tight end sets this year with the talent at TE. (Count me confused as to why Logan Lee is playing TE and not defense.)

- Riley Burt sure looks the part physically but I just don’t ever see him do anything when he gets the ball scrimmaging. He runs really high and seems to get taken down without much gain.

- The o line looked serviceable today (still not great). They are working hard and improving I think though.

- A player I noticed today was Cooper Legas. He didn’t do much to stand out at QB but man for a freshman he is strong and fast. Looks like a star safety to me. I know he came to USU to play QB but I hope he eventually switches.

- Overall I have some concern about depth. I feel there’s a pretty noticeable change in size and athleticism with the backups.

- The receivers as a whole have been a pleasant surprise to me. I feel less concerned about it than previously. Savon Scarver was running with the 1’s today. Come to think of it I didn’t notice Sean Carter though. So I’m not sure if Scarver is back with the 1’s or if Carter was just sitting.

- Jordan Nathan is also a noticeable leader on the team. He’s always out talking to guys and encouraging/ helping them. He’s a great teammate.

- Again the energy and competitiveness are noticeable. I’m impressed with it at practice. I feel like you can really see that guys are getting better. Coach Sanford is fun to watch too. He’s very involved. He was known as a young star in coaching before he flopped at Western Kentucky. I’m really curious what happened there because he really seems to be a top notch coach.
Roy! When are you going to come say hello??

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 6th, 2019, 7:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
That would require me stepping out from lurking in the shadows I guess.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 6th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Looks like Sean carter was playing today.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 7:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
That would require me stepping out from lurking in the shadows I guess.
Haha! We'll come say hi if you'd like to my Aggie brother!

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » August 6th, 2019, 8:31 pm

taniataylor wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:50 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:49 pm
El Sapo wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

He said it on 1 of his 1st interviews with Scotty G
From what I understand, Sanford’s job is to help Utah State win football games, not prepare Jordan Love for running pro-style offenses in the NFL.

The up-tempo offense works real well with our personnel and is here to stay, thank goodness

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 6th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Cash Gilliam possible update. Hopefully this means he will be back soon.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2019, 9:06 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 8:49 pm

I'll say this, it didn't look good but hopefully this is good news. He wasn't happy when he was helped off the field.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 6th, 2019, 9:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 9:06 pm
slcagg wrote:

I'll say this, it didn't look good but hopefully this is good news. He wasn't happy when he was helped off the field.
If Cash Gilliam’s injury is season ending, what are the odds that Cooper Legas plays safety next season?

I know we promised him a fair shot at QB, but the team needs safeties.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » August 7th, 2019, 1:53 am

You're going to see a lot more offenses in the country play tempo this year, and Utah State isn't going to be surprising anyone by doing it.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 7th, 2019, 5:52 am

It’s not about surprise. It’s about dictating the tempo, dictating who is tired, and dictating when the defense gets a rest.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 7th, 2019, 6:50 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 9:52 pm
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

If Cash Gilliam’s injury is season ending, what are the odds that Cooper Legas plays safety next season?

I think the lack of scholarship numbers in the secondary are being addressed. 2019 signee cornerback Demarcus Griffin is greyshirting. Nick Session a safety from East High is already committed. We also have a commitment have North Shore cornerback Upton Stout. Official offers have also been made to a pair of Florida high schoolers safety Eddie Jackson and cornerback Jamal Potts.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Imakeitrain

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 7th, 2019, 7:29 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 9:52 pm
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

As much as Kent Myers frustrated me with what I viewed as selfish antics, he did step up and was trying to play WR for a minute- which I admire and should be viewed as being a team player. Kent Myers was eventually able to play QB, and playing is better than sitting on the bench. I believe Diondre Borel may have also played in certain spots before being tabbed as QB1 (and who is in my view one of our more under appreciated former Aggie QBs)
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic