Nick Heninger Official

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Nick Heninger Official

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 7th, 2019, 12:11 pm

We just got some great help on the defensive line. Nick Heninger (Defensive End from Utah, eligible immediately) is now officially on the team.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2019/8 ... nsfer.aspx

Phil Steele just ranked Utah's D line as the #1 D line in the country. Heninger was likely going to be 2nd on that depth chart.

This is Utah's depth chart last season when Heninger was listed as #2 on the depth chart.

These Utah transfers that Gary & Ena brought in this year are going to be huge for us. Mariner, Repp, & Ena.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on August 9th, 2019, 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Nick Heninger Official

Post by BigBlueDart » August 7th, 2019, 12:15 pm

I can't believe Gary. What a dirtbag! Stealing players from his last school just a couple of weeks before the season starts? Classy.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
IdaAg93donlarson8

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » August 7th, 2019, 12:15 pm

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself)

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 7th, 2019, 12:22 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:15 pm
I can't believe Gary. What a dirtbag! Stealing players from his last school just a couple of weeks before the season starts? Classy.
You think Aggie fans are being unreasonable with Wells & Ingram and that when the shoe is on the other foot we're cool with it. You're mistaken though. These scenarios couldn't be more different.

Heninger announced he was transferring back in March of this year. Utah has known it all along. It's been known he was coming to USU for a while. He just had to finish up summer classes and make it officially academically before he could actually come to USU. This wasn't thrown on Utah at the last weekend after USU tampered.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on August 7th, 2019, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 5):
MadmartiganAggieFBObsessionutahcountyaggiesneedTrueBlueFan

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 7th, 2019, 12:24 pm

IT WAS FUNNY - not belly-laugh funny, but smirk funny. Good job BBD

Let's not overanalyze the joke.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
IdaAg93donlarson8sneed

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 7th, 2019, 12:29 pm

brownjeans wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Except he's already taken to USUfans and Twitter previously to try to defend Wells in this Ingram situation.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 7th, 2019, 12:37 pm

I can't see Heninger taking away reps from Te'i. It will be interesting to see where he fits in. I'll have something later today.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
donlarson8

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 7th, 2019, 12:47 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:(Sorry. Couldn't help myself)
You should I have tried harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 7th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Does Utah have some DBs we could bring over?

We all know that BYU has a lot of DBs, but we may not want any of them.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Does Utah have some DBs we could bring over?

We all know that BYU has a lot of DBs, but we may not want any of them.
We definitely don't want any of those DB's. Unfortunately, it's too late to get any from Utah that can actually play.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » August 7th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:29 pm
brownjeans wrote:

Except he's already taken to USUfans and Twitter previously to try to defend Wells in this Ingram situation.
I was going to say that I wasn't defending Wells, but I suppose that's at least a little disingenuous. But fundamentally I was pointing out that a great number of the reactions I was seeing were based on uncorroborated hearsay and assumptions. Granted there are likely exceptions to that as I know a number of folks are connected to good sources of information. Those handful I'm sure knew more about the situation than I know. I just feel like I see confirmation bias all over the place, sometimes. Consider it more a knee-jerk reaction to that.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 7th, 2019, 3:00 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 2:54 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:29 pm
brownjeans wrote:

I was going to say that I wasn't defending Wells, but I suppose that's at least a little disingenuous. But fundamentally I was pointing out that a great number of the reactions I was seeing were based on uncorroborated hearsay and assumptions. Granted there are likely exceptions to that as I know a number of folks are connected to good sources of information. Those handful I'm sure knew more about the situation than I know. I just feel like I see confirmation bias all over the place, sometimes. Consider it more a knee-jerk reaction to that.
This is a very non-emotional and reasonable response to being criticized. I am going to learn from you, especially regarding getting ready for full-body skin tight suits.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 7th, 2019, 9:21 pm

This adds some depth. Any idea if we are adding any more DBs?

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... ferPortal/

Looks like plenty of 3 star plus grad transfer CBs are still available. Any chance Ingram is forgiven?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 8th, 2019, 7:06 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Looks like plenty of 3 star plus grad transfer CBs are still available. Any chance Ingram is forgiven?
One, I wouldn't count on Ingram being forgiven. Two, I wouldn't count on us adding any other transfers to the roster that will be immediately eligible.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 8th, 2019, 7:15 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:06 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

One, I wouldn't count on Ingram being forgiven. Two, I wouldn't count on us adding any other transfers to the roster that will be immediately eligible.
Thanks for the info! I guess we’ll just have to roll with a paper-thin secondary and cross our fingers that the injury bug doesn’t bite.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 8th, 2019, 7:31 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:15 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Thanks for the info! I guess we’ll just have to roll with a paper-thin secondary and cross our fingers that the injury bug doesn’t bite.
Worked for us last year!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 8th, 2019, 8:00 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:31 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:15 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Worked for us last year!
Like I said in another thread, the issue is being addressed through recruiting but obviously, that will not help us in 2019.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 8th, 2019, 9:10 am

Soon we'll have every transfer out of Utah on our team :joking:

GO UTES.... err AGGIES! :utah: :state:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 8th, 2019, 9:55 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:10 am
Soon we'll have every transfer out of Utah on our team :joking:

GO UTES.... err AGGIES! :utah: :state:
It's good to have a farm team. Others have JCs. We have ... well ... you know.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOJSHarveyViAggieTrueBlueFan

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 8th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Nick will be really good at Utah State. He won't beat you with great athleticism, rather he will be technically sound. Definitely the biggest of the 3 that left for Utah St. I'd expect him to become a Hunter Dimick of the MWC. He's hardworking (passed like 60 credits in 2 semesters to be a grad transfer), but lacks the overall talent to consistently win at an upper level. He came into spring as the 4th DE, but would have lost reps as a couple guys behind him figured things out.

Just for some insight into the others. Repp literally had 1 game, vs Oregon as a WR. He isn't physical enough to be a defensive end and too slow for a WR. He needs a WR/TE situation where he can take advantage of either size or speed.

Wilson is such an enigma. He has intangibles, but I feel his confidence is easily shaken. I hope he has a really good season because he is a likeable kid with a ton of talent. But I'm afraid he has a shaken confidence.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 9th, 2019, 3:54 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Nick will be really good at Utah State. He won't beat you with great athleticism, rather he will be technically sound. Definitely the biggest of the 3 that left for Utah St. I'd expect him to become a Hunter Dimick of the MWC. He's hardworking (passed like 60 credits in 2 semesters to be a grad transfer), but lacks the overall talent to consistently win at an upper level. He came into spring as the 4th DE, but would have lost reps as a couple guys behind him figured things out.

Just for some insight into the others. Repp literally had 1 game, vs Oregon as a WR. He isn't physical enough to be a defensive end and too slow for a WR. He needs a WR/TE situation where he can take advantage of either size or speed.

Wilson is such an enigma. He has intangibles, but I feel his confidence is easily shaken. I hope he has a really good season because he is a likeable kid with a ton of talent. But I'm afraid he has a shaken confidence.
Thanks for the insights.

Is Wilson a nickname for Mariner?

Also when you say biggest for Heninger, do you mean you expect him to have a bigger impact than the other 2?

Btw it has been reported in here that Repp looks very good as an athletic TE.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » August 9th, 2019, 3:58 am

slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 3:54 am
UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Thanks for the insights.

Also when you say biggest for Heninger, do you mean you expect him to have a bigger impact than the other 2?

Mariner had his name legally changed from Wilson to Mariner.
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
slcagg

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 9th, 2019, 7:49 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Here's the thing, after looking it over I realized right now Heninger is 3rd string Defensive end at best. The lowly MWC isn't as big of a drop off from the pac 12 as Ute fans like to think. Keep in mind ASU blew out Utah 38-20 last year but yet went 0-2 against the MWC.

Regarding Repp and Wilson, I think you'll see them both have huge impacts, however. That's because without them there was so little help there at those positions after what we lost last season. That and Jordan Love will likely help them look really good.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 9th, 2019, 8:05 am

Any ute fans that visit this board need to realize that conference affiliation has much, much less to do with talent development and quality of an athletic program than the coaching staff.

I don't think you'll find any Aggie fans that would trade our football and basketball coaching staffs for what you have. No way! No how!

As far as we're concerned we have the best football program and basketball programs in the state. And it has little to do with conference affiliation or recruit stars. It has everything to do with the quality of the athletic program driven by top notch coaches.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 9th, 2019, 2:02 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 3:54 am
UtesAggs>BYU wrote:

Thanks for the insights.

Sorry, Mariner has changed his name every offseason and I totally spaced it.

I think Nick will be the biggest loss from the Utah roster. All 3 will have an impact for Utah St, but you get Nick for more than 1 year, so that's a major upside as well. Mariner was going to battle for 2nd string reps, especially with Utah moving away from 4 & 5 WR sets.

Repp is a really good pass catcher. My worries would be if he can be on the field every play. IMO, he isn't a TE that can line up next to a tackle and help in the run game. He'll have to play in sets where the TE gets split out

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 9th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Sometimes a change of scenery helps people gain confidence.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 9th, 2019, 11:40 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 11:12 pm
Sometimes a change of scenery helps people gain confidence.
Absolutely. And I really hope Mariner has a great year. He was always a great teammate, even with the demotion. I'm fairly certain early season struggles killed his confidence, which snowballed things. Also, he took so much grief of social media after the Pac-12 Championship game, he deserves better for his final year

Chupamedia

Nick Heninger Official

Post by Chupamedia » August 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm

To be fair to Ute fans - they seriously have one of the best defensive fronts in the nation. Heninger likely will have a much better opportunity at USU than he had at the U
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Locked Previous topicNext topic