That is on gary!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie

Re: That is on gary!

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am

dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:56 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:13 pm
blueaggie wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 5:33 pm
One play decided the game. 3rd and 4 yards with 2:30 to go. Here were the choices on that play

1. Give Love a chance to win the game. Offense had already scored 35 points so the offense wasn't struggling. Try to convert a 3rd and 4 for a first down that would have won the game by passing the ball.

2. Run the ball and use up WF timeouts. Give the defense who had given up 31 points, but made a couple of nice stops late in the game a chance to win the game. WF gets the ball on their own 10 with 150 seconds left and no time outs. They need a TD to win.

I thought Love was the best player on the field. So, taking him out of the offense was a mistake.

Failing to make any adjustment on defense after we gave them the ball was inexcusable. We should have had 7 DB's on the field. all their receivers doubled up.

So yes, this is on Gary. Just like we didn't have an onside kick defense v Auburn, Gary didn't appear to have a prevent defense ready for this game.
Didn't we give love a chance to win the game at the end when he threw the interception? It could have happened on that series. And then you would have blamed Gary for not running the ball. It is always easy to second guess coaches. It is a team game that includes players coaches and fans! Go Aggies!
Coaches are paid a huge sum of money to win football games. Players aren't. Last time I checked, the fans foot the bill. I'd say we have a right to question coaching decisions, especially when those decisions directly impacted the outcome of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much do you think one college football game victory costs, and how much do you think you’ve donated towards one so far?
Yep, only millionaires deserve to talk about the game. I guess I should just shut up and take my place in silence.

I'm not a big doner, never have been and probably never will be wealthy enough to be one. I do but season tickets and make a small donation. I'll bet at least half the stadium Sundays less than I do. Rather than heed your advice and run off fans, I'll be there cheering in the team Saturday night - if you'll allow me in.

Not sure where you got the idea that you aren’t welcome, but my point is that you aren’t footing the bill. Our season tickets entitle us to a seat in the stadium and whatever other access/perks the AD offers, but nowhere does it say we are equity members in this business. That donation, by the way, is a philanthropic gesture to pay for someone’s college degree.

Also, if we really want to act like the AD owes us whatever input we want to give them, maybe we should stop taking so much money from the university and additional direct funds from the state.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 2nd, 2019, 7:11 am

Where did I act like the AD owes me anything or where did I ask him to do something.?

I thought we were all just expressing or opinions and perspectives on the game on a fan board. I must have mistaken this for his office.

Peace out. See you all Saturday at the Mav

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ususports

Post by ususports » September 2nd, 2019, 7:32 am

Based on comments in another thread, admittance on Saturday is conditional on looking at yourself in the mirror. It wasn’t clear if this was to be done with or without clothes, but I still got it.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 2nd, 2019, 7:34 am

Usu0505 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:58 am
That’s odd to me. Neither make me happy but Losing to BSU, again, and this time for the mountain west championship was way worse in my opinion. Ya you could say, well at least we had a great season but that to me is being way more complacent about Aggie football than losing a close one the first game of the year. As others have pointed out Boise is a much more established dynasty than wake forest. Had we been blown out I could more understand the doom and gloom.

Maybe I’m just weird.

We need to win some of these P5 games to advance the program and recruit higher level players. These are the games Boise State wins. They get national attention and win recruiting battles with the win.

600 yards of offense is nice but that only gets recognized if the team wins.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
NVAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 2nd, 2019, 8:54 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:34 am
Usu0505 wrote:
That’s odd to me. Neither make me happy but Losing to BSU, again, and this time for the mountain west championship was way worse in my opinion. Ya you could say, well at least we had a great season but that to me is being way more complacent about Aggie football than losing a close one the first game of the year. As others have pointed out Boise is a much more established dynasty than wake forest. Had we been blown out I could more understand the doom and gloom.

Maybe I’m just weird.

We need to win some of these P5 games to advance the program and recruit higher level players. These are the games Boise State wins. They get national attention and win recruiting battles with the win.

We had our highest ranked recruiting class ever last year and this year’s class, while small, likely will have the best per-player rating ever.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 2nd, 2019, 9:21 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:34 pm
So glad to see players parents and former players calling out so called Aggie fans on Twitter!! They're right we've got a bunch if winers and fair weather fans!
Hmmm...

Twitter is a misrepresentation of normal people as it is filled with attention-seeking, self-important, immature and unreasoned individuals making pithy remarks. I'm suspicious of those who live or frequently vacation there (I'm looking at you Mr. President)
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13NVAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am
Not sure where you got the idea that you aren’t welcome, but my point is that you aren’t footing the bill. Our season tickets entitle us to a seat in the stadium and whatever other access/perks the AD offers, but nowhere does it say we are equity members in this business. That donation, by the way, is a philanthropic gesture to pay for someone’s college degree.

Also, if we really want to act like the AD owes us whatever input we want to give them, maybe we should stop taking so much money from the university and additional direct funds from the state.
???? Come on, you intended to money shame him. That's garbage.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
NVAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 2nd, 2019, 9:31 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I didn’t intend to money shame anyone (or I intended to money shame everyone whose last name isn’t Laub, take your pick). The fact is that the AD doesn’t owe anyone anything other than an effort to put forth the best possible product and represent the school well, which they have done.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
So glad to see players parents and former players calling out so called Aggie fans on Twitter!! They're right we've got a bunch if winers and fair weather fans!
I am positive it is causing the phone to ring off the hook at the ticket office. I think the website has crashed 18 times from the unexpected increase in online traffic too. Looking forward to 6 sure sellouts this year.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 2nd, 2019, 10:12 am

Yikes, what a bunch of whiners! Just like BYU fans. We lost a game by three points that we were picked to lose by 3.5 and you would think the team quit, the coaches made a planned decision to call poor plays, there was no effort on part of the team. I expected us to lose, was delighted with how well we played overall. It was just game number one, we were in it against a favored opponent until the last minute. Hopefully lessons learned and we can go on to be even better.

coolag

Post by coolag » September 2nd, 2019, 10:21 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Only thing cooler than a regulator of class is a regulator of fandom. Well done sir.

Regulator of Class

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 2nd, 2019, 10:25 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 9:31 am
brownjeans wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I didn’t intend to money shame anyone (or I intended to money shame everyone whose last name isn’t Laub, take your pick). The fact is that the AD doesn’t owe anyone anything other than an effort to put forth the best possible product and represent the school well, which they have done.
I don't think you need to bring up money at all. All Aggie fans are welcome - and every individual opinion is valuable because, taken as part of the whole, one opinion helps us understand the overall feelings of the fanbase - the customer. When we silence other's opinions we alient the customer and cater a product to a subsection (read, smaller numbers). We need to grow our fanbase, not shrink it. Have you seen a sold out season in our 25,000-seat stadium recently?

Laub started out as a fan with no money. If we shame everyone away because they aren't giving enough money or because we don't agree with them, we'll never fill the stadium, get more Laubs, or the next Laub.

I don't mean to offend, but way too often we're saying things that attack people. If you disagree with their opinion you can express that without trying to run them off.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 6):
AgMacususportstinplaterAGGZILLANVAggieutahcountyaggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 2nd, 2019, 10:28 am

tinplater wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:12 am
Yikes, what a bunch of whiners! Just like BYU fans. We lost a game by three points that we were picked to lose by 3.5 and you would think the team quit, the coaches made a planned decision to call poor plays, there was no effort on part of the team. I expected us to lose, was delighted with how well we played overall. It was just game number one, we were in it against a favored opponent until the last minute. Hopefully lessons learned and we can go on to be even better.
Uncalled for low blow. No Aggie fan deserves such insults. I mean, if you want to call us a bunch of mother f~@|(ers that's one thing, but this... that's too far.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 2nd, 2019, 10:50 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:25 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 9:31 am
brownjeans wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I don't think you need to bring up money at all. All Aggie fans are welcome - and every individual opinion is valuable because, taken as part of the whole, one opinion helps us understand the overall feelings of the fanbase - the customer. When we silence other's opinions we alient the customer and cater a product to a subsection (read, smaller numbers). We need to grow our fanbase, not shrink it. Have you seen a sold out season in our 25,000-seat stadium recently?

Laub started out as a fan with no money. If we shame everyone away because they aren't giving enough money or because we don't agree with them, we'll never fill the stadium, get more Laubs, or the next Laub.

I don't mean to offend, but way too often we're saying things that attack people. If you disagree with their opinion you can express that without trying to run them off.
1. I didn’t bring up money, he did when he said that fans foot the bill.

2. You’ll never fill this stadium with alumni and fans that disappear because we start to lose and they think they know better. Nebraska didn’t lose their sold out streak when they started losing and we won’t fill our stadium just because we start winning.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 2nd, 2019, 11:03 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:25 am

Agree 100%. I have never understood the logic behind calling people cheap pieces of worthless garbage, followed by telling them they suck if they don't come to the games. Very inspiring indeed. I am not naive to think these types of comments are keeping lots of people out of the stands, as we all know people will make plenty of excuses to not come. However, if the goal of these comments is to motivate a change of behavior, I am confident insults isn't the way to go.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 2nd, 2019, 11:15 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:50 am
1. I didn’t bring up money, he did when he said that fans foot the bill.
Noted. My mistake.
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
2. You’ll never fill this stadium with alumni and fans that disappear because we start to lose and they think they know better. Nebraska didn’t lose their sold out streak when they started losing and we won’t fill our stadium just because we start winning.
I don't follow you here. First you say fans will disappear because we start to lose, then you say wins/losses don't change attendance. What does any of this have to do with fans running off other fans with insults when we just disagree?

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 2nd, 2019, 11:26 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Odd logic there. Just what would you say would put people in the stands if winning won't? From my perspective winning is the absolute key to increasing the fan base.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 2nd, 2019, 11:35 am

tinplater wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 11:26 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Odd logic there. Just what would you say would put people in the stands if winning won't? From my perspective winning is the absolute key to increasing the fan base.
Winning has never sold out the stadium for us. It’s a culture change and a commitment to the program beyond short-term results that will take is to the next level.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
oleblu111

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
tinplater wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 11:26 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Winning has never sold out the stadium for us. It’s a culture change and a commitment to the program beyond short-term results that will take is to the next level.
Probably not the hill you want to die on.

A culture change and a commitment to the program requires winning. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FootballOrphan

Post by FootballOrphan » September 2nd, 2019, 12:19 pm

I think fans need to just stay calm. One game does not make a season. It's tough to head into WF and come away with a win.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:40 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 8:54 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 7:34 am
Usu0505 wrote:

Maybe I’m just weird.

We had our highest ranked recruiting class ever last year and this year’s class, while small, likely will have the best per-player rating ever.
Great, you are right. We don't need to win these P5 games to progress as a football program. We can do the same things Boise is doing, but without the unnecessary hassle (and unreasonable expectations) of winning P5 games other than beating a dramatically in-decline BYU. Those DB's we need? Surely the story of going into Tallahassee and upsetting Florida State doesn't carry nearly as much 'weight' in the recruit's living room as losing at Wake Forest. After all, we did have 596 of offense.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:48 am

tinplater wrote:
This is the point we are talking about. No one is saying the season is over and GA needs to be fired along with wholesale changes on the roster. Support won't go down. The team is still very good and there are a lot of positives. The essence of the discord is that this is a common theme. Losing close games against P5 teams where play calling and game management were obvious factors.

We are talking about the need to get over the hump and win these P5 games so the program can get to the next level. At some point the program has to stop being happy with "being in it until the last minute." Boise State recruits nationally because they pick up a stellar win like this every other year (seemingly). We compete with BSU for recruits. What looks better in the living room of the priced defensive back. "Hey, we just went into Tallahassee and knocked off FSU on national tv". Or, "Hey, we lost to Wake Forest but had 596 yards of offense and gave another P5 team a scare!".
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Intermeddlerstewusu98

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 3rd, 2019, 9:45 am

Lets say we would have run a play action or throw the ball on 3rd and 4 and still miss. I guarantee the same people here saying Gary was too conservative would be saying "He was playing too cute! Run the darn ball!" Sure, would I have called a Play action or an RPO when they stack the box on a 3rd and 4, but people here need to chill out.

At the time of the 3rd and 4th there were 4 things that needed to happen for us to lose. One, we don't convert. Two, we give up a big play on defense. Three, we don't stop them on 4th and 1. Four, don't turn the ball over when we're in FG range. All of these things happened. Look I get it, we lost another frustrating P5 road loss, but to say it was all on Gary is a bit of a stretch. This was a team loss.

I also have to give credit to the Wake Forest WR's. They balled out and were the reason they won the game.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
Cast Iron Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 3rd, 2019, 9:49 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:45 am
Lets say we would have run a play action or throw the ball on 3rd and 4 and still miss. I guarantee the same people here saying Gary was too conservative would be saying "He was playing too cute! Run the darn ball!" Sure, would I have called a Play action or an RPO when they stack the box on a 3rd and 4, but people here need to chill out.

At the time of the 3rd and 4th there were 4 things that needed to happen for us to lose. One, we don't convert. Two, we give up a big play on defense. Three, we don't stop them on 4th and 1. Four, don't turn the ball over when we're in FG range. All of these things happened. Look I get it, we lost another frustrating P5 road loss, but to say it was all on Gary is a bit of a stretch. This was a team loss.

I also have to give credit to the Wake Forest WR's. They balled out and were the reason they won the game.
Maybe people would. I sure as heck wouldn't though. I would much rather go down fighting and being aggressive there. I've seen USU be too conservative in these scenarios and lose time after time.

Also, I watched college football all day Saturday and saw all kinds of creative & trick plays all over the place that worked. Why do we never see this from USU in a key situation? Because it's not the Utah football way I guess.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » September 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am

brownjeans wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Uncalled for low blow. No Aggie fan deserves such insults. I mean, if you want to call us a bunch of mother f~@|(ers that's one thing, but this... that's too far.

This is ridiculous, no one said the team quit, and no one planned anything. Even mentioning BYU is meant to antagonize. They lost a game they should have won, its over, time to move on doofus.

Wake Forest was not a P5 game like Auburn, Wiscy, etc. They are basically a G5 school in a P5 conference, hence the extra disappointment in the loss, as it should have been a W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 3rd, 2019, 11:10 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 9:13 pm
El Sapo wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:55 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:25 am
El Sapo wrote:
One play decided the game. 3rd and 4 yards with 2:30 to go. Here were the choices on that play

1. Give Love a chance to win the game. Offense had already scored 35 points so the offense wasn't struggling. Try to convert a 3rd and 4 for a first down that would have won the game by passing the ball.

2. Run the ball and use up WF timeouts. Give the defense who had given up 31 points, but made a couple of nice stops late in the game a chance to win the game. WF gets the ball on their own 10 with 150 seconds left and no time outs. They need a TD to win.

I thought Love was the best player on the field. So, taking him out of the offense was a mistake.

Failing to make any adjustment on defense after we gave them the ball was inexcusable. We should have had 7 DB's on the field. all their receivers doubled up.

So yes, this is on Gary. Just like we didn't have an onside kick defense v Auburn, Gary didn't appear to have a prevent defense ready for this game.
Jaylen Warren was averaging 7.5 yards per carry, so there's that.
Take away the 60 yarder and what was he getting?

Also, he didn't get those yards against a stacked defensive front lined up with 8 men in the box. WF was overcommitted against the run at that point in the game. Gary chose to make WF use their last time out. That decision ultimately cost us the game.

Unprepared, conservative, poor clock management and no feel for late game decisions...… whmmmm, somehow that seems familiar.

I can see how these decisions might seem overwhelming for some posters, football is complex. It can seem like it really doesn't matter what you choose because there are too many variables. Sometimes that is the case, but this time it was purely a coaches decision. We were the better team. Our coach didn't allow us our best shot at winning
The same dumbass that genuinely believes we lost a football game because of one decision out of hundreds thinks that football is too complicated for others. If irony was tangible, we’d all be suffocating right now.
Yea, that comment found it's intended target

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 3rd, 2019, 11:18 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:49 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:

Maybe people would. I sure as heck wouldn't though. I would much rather go down fighting and being aggressive there. I've seen USU be too conservative in these scenarios and lose time after time.

Also, I watched college football all day Saturday and saw all kinds of creative & trick plays all over the place that worked. Why do we never see this from USU in a key situation? Because it's not the Utah football way I guess.
Totally agree. I said this in another thread, but I think people are smart enough to realize that a good choice (in this case not to run on 3rd and 4 in a predictable situation into a 9 man front) may not yield a good result (i.e. incomplete pass or turnover) but was still the higher percentage choice. Some, of course, would complain either way, but I think most would get that the thing that would most maximize our chances to win was converting that and the best chance to convert in that particular situation was a pass.

Even if we throw an incompletion, that saves WF a timeout, which may have extended the game. With first downs stopping the clock and their natural pace, we were not going to win that game simply because they ran out of time. We either were going to give up a score and have to score again, or get the ball back. In the scenario we ended up facing, adding time to the clock would have been beneficial.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 3rd, 2019, 11:40 am

blueaggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:03 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Didn't we give love a chance to win the game at the end when he threw the interception? It could have happened on that series. And then you would have blamed Gary for not running the ball. It is always easy to second guess coaches. It is a team game that includes players coaches and fans! Go Aggies!
Very true. We did have another chance to win after they scored. It's also true we could have won the game 2 minutes earlier by making 5 yards on a play.

Another coaching mistake? We were in position for a tying FG when Love threw that interception. Why the risky play call?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » September 3rd, 2019, 11:46 am

El Sapo wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 11:40 am
blueaggie wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 10:03 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Very true. We did have another chance to win after they scored. It's also true we could have won the game 2 minutes earlier by making 5 yards on a play.

Another coaching mistake? We were in position for a tying FG when Love threw that interception. Why the risky play call?
Man.. you just can't argue with stupid :shock:

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » September 3rd, 2019, 12:37 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am
brownjeans wrote:
tinplater wrote:
Wake Forest was not a P5 game like Auburn, Wiscy, etc. They are basically a G5 school in a P5 conference, hence the extra disappointment in the loss, as it should have been a W.

^^^^^^
Agreed. We are now to the point where these games are not moral victories.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » September 3rd, 2019, 1:03 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:

I just disagree that anyone would be disappointed with us trying to use our best player to win the game.
That's what it comes down to, for me. If our best player on the field is Jaylen Warren, and he is a Heisman calliber running back, I don't have a problem with us running him on 3rd and 4 to put the game away.
Fact of the matter is, Jordan Love is our best player. Jordan Love is a Heisman calliber quarterback. We took the ball out of our star player's hands on 3rd and 4 with the game on the line.
I have maybe 57% confidence in one of our backs (and o-line) grinding out 4 yards in that situation. By comparison, I have maybe 80% confidence that Jordan Love can connect with SOMEONE for 4 yards in the same situation.

This all, to me, is the crux of disappointment in the game, overall, and especially disappointment in late playcalling by our staff.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyIntermeddler

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 3rd, 2019, 1:39 pm

I went back and looked at the play by play for the last three drives before we lost the lead. I had it in my mind that we ran almost exclusively. We didn't. There were many opportunities in those drives to throw and move the football. The offense just didn't get it done. The defense responded well until the last drive by Wake. Really disappointing, but I thought we were far more run heavy.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 3rd, 2019, 1:42 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 1:39 pm
I went back and looked at the play by play for the last three drives before we lost the lead. I had it in my mind that we ran almost exclusively. We didn't. There were many opportunities in those drives to throw and move the football. The offense just didn't get it done. The defense responded well until the last drive by Wake. Really disappointing, but I thought we were far more run heavy.

[Even on the 2nd to last drive we passed in order to get the first 1st down if my memory is correct.]

IfelOfasofa

Post by IfelOfasofa » September 3rd, 2019, 1:51 pm

I agree its on Gary, he gets credit for the wins, he needs to take blame for the losses. I am still happy he is back. All I heard in the pre season was how much we were lacking on the O line, and I thought they looked great! I am sick of the P5 road losses... one of these games we will get a win! I think we are going to be ok, lets put the game in Love's hands and win or die with him!!! Go Ags!

...from the spot where the sagebrush grows!
:utah: :state:

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » September 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 1:03 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:

I just disagree that anyone would be disappointed with us trying to use our best player to win the game.
That's what it comes down to, for me. If our best player on the field is Jaylen Warren, and he is a Heisman calliber running back, I don't have a problem with us running him on 3rd and 4 to put the game away.
Fact of the matter is, Jordan Love is our best player. Jordan Love is a Heisman calliber quarterback. We took the ball out of our star player's hands on 3rd and 4 with the game on the line.
I have maybe 57% confidence in one of our backs (and o-line) grinding out 4 yards in that situation. By comparison, I have maybe 80% confidence that Jordan Love can connect with SOMEONE for 4 yards in the same situation.

This all, to me, is the crux of disappointment in the game, overall, and especially disappointment in late playcalling by our staff.
Did we not put the ball in Jordan loves hand the last play of the game and that ended up in an interception. He had an opportunity to get it done and it didn't work out.

Locked Previous topicNext topic