Holding not being called?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Holding not being called?

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 29th, 2019, 8:59 am

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me again, but I swear against Wake Forest, SDSU, and CSU I am seeing several holds by their offensive lines not being called.

These holds feel out in the open and blatant, yet not a single holding call was made on the O line in any of those 3 games, correct? I don’t think it’s a blatant attempt to favor the other team (except against Wake) but find it odd. Maybe part of the continuing emphasis to protect QB’s?

Am I off here? Are others seeing this?
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Holding not being called?

Post by aggies22 » September 29th, 2019, 9:03 am

No, you are spot on. Especially on the play when we got called for roughing the passer. Tipa was clearly being held right in front of the referee, yet no flag.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 29th, 2019, 9:03 am

The one that pissed me off the most was when they called roughing the passer which was just plain garbage. They then show the replay and the offensive guy is literally hanging onto Tei's shirt holding him back to avoid giving up the sack. I was was screaming at the refs on that play. That pissed me off because we had stopped them on 3rd down.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 29th, 2019, 9:30 am

Te’i and Galeia get held more than anyone I’ve ever watched. I’m fine with letting kids play, but when it is so blatant and obvious it has to be called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 29th, 2019, 9:42 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 9:03 am
No, you are spot on. Especially on the play when we got called for roughing the passer. Tipa was clearly being held right in front of the referee, yet no flag.
Gary should contact the league about the holding against Tipa, Justice and others. Send the league some game film isolating the non calls by the same officials in an effort to eliminate some inherent bias or simple ignorant incompetence. I watched the replay of the roughing the passer call against Woodward on the east sideline during the second quarter and just couldn't see the contact.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 29th, 2019, 10:01 am

It has bothered me all season as well.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 29th, 2019, 10:06 am

Meh. We won.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 29th, 2019, 10:11 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 10:06 am
Meh. We won.
True. But if we lose “it’s sour grapes” and “we should have done x, y, or z differently”

When is it acceptable to point out that officiating was subpar?

After forward progress was stopped 7 seconds and 8 yards ago and our guy is body slammed into the ground out of bounds?

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » September 29th, 2019, 10:21 am

The roughing the passer call was absolute garbage. He breathed on him as he ran past him and the qb slipped and fell on his a$$.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 29th, 2019, 10:24 am

It looked like QB tripped on the first down marker the chain crew was holding and it made it look worse than it was.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 29th, 2019, 1:08 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:The roughing the passer call was absolute garbage. He breathed on him as he ran past him and the qb slipped and fell on his a$$.

Uh, he pushed him on the shoulder two steps out of bounds and he never fell. It was a crappy call but dumb to push him.

Hail Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 29th, 2019, 1:11 pm

They held Tipa when he was about to get a safety.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
sdiggety

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 29th, 2019, 4:29 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 1:11 pm
Held him? You mean tackled him. Smart move by the tackle and maybe he even thought he would get away with it after the other no calls. Holding close inside the pads is just an accepted tactic at all levels of football. But damn that wasn't what CSU was doing.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 29th, 2019, 5:46 pm

hickaggie wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 4:29 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 1:11 pm
Held him? You mean tackled him. Smart move by the tackle and maybe he even thought he would get away with it after the other no calls. Holding close inside the pads is just an accepted tactic at all levels of football. But damn that wasn't what CSU was doing.
Good point, he tackled him from behind.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » September 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Gary should contact the league about the holding against Tipa, Justice and others. Send the league some game film isolating the non calls by the same officials in an effort to eliminate some inherent bias or simple ignorant incompetence. I watched the replay of the roughing the passer call against Woodward on the east sideline during the second quarter and just couldn't see the contact.
This is done after every game. It's crazy some of the stuff that happens that never gets called.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Turtle

Post by Turtle » September 29th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Agsman wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
This is done after every game. It's crazy some of the stuff that happens that never gets called.

Wait, do they actually do that? Does anything happen? I am glad they actually send stuff in. I mean I can understand there are going to be some bad calls in a game, but when it is really biased towards a team, there needs to be accountability.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 29th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Turtle wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 7:44 pm
Agsman wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Wait, do they actually do that? Does anything happen? I am glad they actually send stuff in. I mean I can understand there are going to be some bad calls in a game, but when it is really biased towards a team, there needs to be accountability.
They definitely submit tape all the time. We've had coaches comment on plays that they've submitted a few times. The league reviews it and 99% of the time they handle it internally and use it for training officials. If it's really bad then they sometimes comment on it.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 29th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 10:11 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 10:06 am
Meh. We won.
True. But if we lose “it’s sour grapes” and “we should have done x, y, or z differently”

When is it acceptable to point out that officiating was subpar?

After forward progress was stopped 7 seconds and 8 yards ago and our guy is body slammed into the ground out of bounds?
I understand what you are saying, but I guess complaining about refs is just a minor pet peeve of mine. The refs aren't biased, it is an incredibly tough job that they do amazingly well, and every team's fans feel like they are getting hosed by the refs almost every game. Do they make mistakes or miss things? Of course, but it tends to go both ways and even out. We just notice the ones that go against our team the most. I find that we often see what we want to see. Ever notice how when you watch a game in which you have absolutely no rooting interest you almost never notice the horrible officiating? Ever notice how the home fans will boo when a call is upheld or overturned on replay even when it is clear and obvious? Even after the refs have looked at it 43 times from 8 different angles in slow motion? I guess I am trying to say that it isn't the refs that are biased. We are. Sending tape in? That should only be done in the most egregious circumstances for bad calls that directly affect the outcome of the game (e.g., the Saints in the playoffs last year).
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
Lightbringer

Formerly TulsAGGIE

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » September 29th, 2019, 9:19 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:The roughing the passer call was absolute garbage. He breathed on him as he ran past him and the qb slipped and fell on his a$$.

Uh, he pushed him on the shoulder two steps out of bounds and he never fell. It was a crappy call but dumb to push him.

Uh, Ok guess we both saw something completely different. He definitely fell because he tripped on the first down marker. And he didn’t push him two yard out of bounds either. You’re right, he did do more than breath on him, but it wasn’t much. I saw it more as if he put his hands out so he didn’t crash into him, and both go down.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 30th, 2019, 6:47 pm

If they are holding? Our guys need to flail around actively try to disengage. Make the hold obvious! If you're just standing there with the other player holding you, that's not a hold.

It becomes a penalty when you go for the ball carrier and the guy impedes your progress by holding you.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 30th, 2019, 7:53 pm

[

[/quote]

Gary should contact the league about the holding against Tipa, Justice and others. Send the league some game film isolating the non calls by the same officials in an effort to eliminate some inherent bias or simple ignorant incompetence. I watched the replay of the roughing the passer call against Woodward on the east sideline during the second quarter and just couldn't see the contact.[/quote]This is done after every game. It's crazy some of the stuff that happens that never gets called.

[/quote]

They definitely submit tape all the time. We've had coaches comment on plays that they've submitted a few times. The league reviews it and 99% of the time they handle it internally and use it for training officials. If it's really bad then they sometimes comment on it.
[/quote]

Understood Provo, and when a late whistle is blown players can really get hammered/hurt by incoming defenders.
A late whistle cost CSU a tear away fumble and resulting AGGIE T D by David Woodward late in the 4th quarter when their running back was fighting for yardage. A brilliant play by an intuitive Woodward, yet the late whistle cut both ways in that game. Player safety is many times incumbent upon officials controlling a high speed and brutish contact game.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 1st, 2019, 9:33 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 8:18 pm
it is an incredibly tough job that they do amazingly well
"Amazingly" may be an overstatement given some of the BS calls/no-calls this season.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » October 1st, 2019, 4:28 pm

Yes, but I commented to my son's just before the game ended: 'I don't think we've been flagged for a holding all game'....We weren't were we?

Locked Previous topicNext topic