BSU/CSU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMac

BSU/CSU

Post by AgMac » November 29th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Why???? Just why??? Everyone not named New Mexico or Utah State has played Boise pretty closely. This honestly isn't one of Boise's best teams.

I hate that looking like a Jr. High team against bsu/byu/af has left a very sour taste in our mouth in what was otherwise a pretty decent year. You simply can't get the crap kicked out of you like that.

The teams we beat don't suggest we were that bad. So why? I wish I knew the answer.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Zaggie07

dyedblue

Re: BSU/CSU

Post by dyedblue » November 29th, 2019, 5:54 pm

I have watched Boise a lot this year and they look so beatable. Even New Mexico looked good after the first quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » November 29th, 2019, 6:28 pm

what kills me is this.
we take a week out of spring ball to focus on Air Force. Then we take as much as possible in fall camp to focus on AF.
Then we had a bye week which gave us more time to focus on AF....
every chance they get, they try to get practice time in for AF.
are you kidding me?
did you see how we looked defending them? it's a good thing we focus so much and give them so much attention.
geez .. we were clueless
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
aggies22

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm

it's pretty frustrating

makes me think our problem is in our heads.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 29th, 2019, 6:34 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm
it's pretty frustrating

makes me think our problem is in our heads.
And it starts at the top. Every Gary Andersen led team that has played Boise State has been annihilated. Al Lewis and Ryan Bohm even quoted Coach Andersen as saying he has even lost most of the recruiting battles that were between his teams and Boise State.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Yay, Colorado State and New Mexico played Boise tough so did San Jose State. The fact of the matter is they ended up losing which counts as a loss just the same as a blowout does. Last time I checked all three of those teams are staying home and are not Bowl eligible I would much rather be in our situation. That being said it still frustrates me that we were not competitive in those games.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Machismo

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 29th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 6:42 pm
Yay, Colorado State and New Mexico played Boise tough so did San Jose State. The fact of the matter is they ended up losing which counts as a loss just the same as a blowout does. Last time I checked all three of those teams are staying home and are not Bowl eligible I would much rather be in our situation. That being said it still frustrates me that we were not competitive in those games.
Counts the same. But it isn't the same.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Zaggie07

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm

sammyhagar wrote:what kills me is this.
we take a week out of spring ball to focus on Air Force. Then we take as much as possible in fall camp to focus on AF.
are you kidding me?
did you see how we looked defending them? it's a good thing we focus so much and give them so much attention.
geez .. we were clueless
We did get two early stops against Air Force which the offense failed to do anything with. I think we lose either way, but I’d love to see what could happen had we cashed in on those early stops.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
this is a really great point. sjsu, csu, anyone else who played boise close didn't win, so when the game is over, it's still a L.

BUT...

where i'm coming from is that if you play well enough to be in the game toward the end, you have reasonable expectations that the next time you play you can win. or the problems you have aren't systemic. losing the way we did makes me feel like we've got much bigger problems that threaten future success in a way that needing to coach this guy up or recruit a little better for that position doesn't

it still feels good to be an aggie and i love the school, the system, the players, and man oh man did i love my time there as a student. and i do think our future is bright. which is kind of why it's so frustrating to see what we did on the field against afa, byu, and bsu this year. i feel like we're much better than that.
Last edited by AndroidAggie on November 30th, 2019, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 3):
Zaggie07JSHarveyaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2019, 7:46 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
this is a really great point. sjsu, csu, anyone else who played boise close didn't win, so when the game is over, it's still a L.

BUT...

where i'm coming from is that if you play well enough to be in the game toward the end, you have reasonable expectations that the next time you play you can win. or the problems you have aren't systemic. losing the way we did makes me feel like we've got much bigger problems that threaten future success in a way that needing to coach this guy up or recruit a little better for that position doesn't

it still feels good to be an aggie and i love the school, the system, the players, and man oh man did i love my time there as a student. and i do think our future is bright. which is kind of why it's so frustrating to see what we did on the field against afa, byu, and bus this year. i feel like we're much better than that.
It is a bigger issue if you don't show up and get blown out then if it is a competitive game. As a fan I pay money to see a competitive game. There is a reason fans leave at halftime when their team is down 42-7, but don't leave when their team is down 14-7. (unless it is raining hard against Hawaii) Of course USU is a better program than San Jose State, but that is also a reason it is so frustrating to see some of our performances this year. We are a better team than we showed at times.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 7:46 pm
It is a bigger issue if you don't show up and get blown out then if it is a competitive game. As a fan I pay money to see a competitive game. There is a reason fans leave at halftime when their team is down 42-7, but don't leave when their team is down 14-7. (unless it is raining hard against Hawaii) Of course USU is a better program than San Jose State, but that is also a reason it is so frustrating to see some of our performances this year. We are a better team than we showed at times.
i see what you're saying. i'm not really in agreement about feeling like "i pay money therefore i deserve to see competitive products on the field if you expect me to pay and stay"

i want to see the university do well in football because it brings money and notoriety to the university. we're a land grant state university so i don't see us going all in on academic prestige... might as well build up the cultural gravity well of cache valley and make the aggie brotherhood great again.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

I could have sworn that we beat CSU.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2019, 8:41 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm
November 29th, 2019, 7:46 pm
i see what you're saying. i'm not really in agreement about feeling like "i pay money therefore i deserve to see competitive products on the field if you expect me to pay and stay"

i want to see the university do well in football because it brings money and notoriety to the university. we're a land grant state university so i don't see us going all in on academic prestige... might as well build up the cultural gravity well of cache valley and make the aggie brotherhood great again.
Sure we all want USU football to do well. Everybody who posts on here is a serious fan. I don't believe getting blown out like we did against Boise State is the same as had we been competitive. A better prepared team would have been right in that game. I have stayed to the end of games where the Aggies got blown off the field. However, you will see fans leave early if you are down 42-7. It will cause fewer fans to come back than if it is a competitive game in the 4th quarter. That is just a reality. Not many people want to see their team get demolished. It also just doesn't reflect well on the program that we got blown out in our 3 biggest games. Sure at the end of the day it is all L's if we lose by 4 or 40, but these are games we should be up for and ready to go. It is a bad sign when we can't get up for our biggest games.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 29th, 2019, 8:43 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

The point is about our poor showing against Boise State while teams like Wyoming and CSU played them to a one score game. The fact that we are better than CSU and Wyoming only proves the point further. Assuming we win tomorrow we'll finish with a winning season closing out a decade that will see us make our 8th bowl game in 9 years. Definitely an amazing thing compared to where we were for the 3 decades before that. It doesn't mean the team is above criticism. Something was off in our 3 biggest games. Air Force and Boise State are good, but the gap between us and them is not as big as was demonstrated in those games. The gap between byu and us is definitely not what it showed during that game.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 29th, 2019, 8:48 pm

November 29th, 2019, 8:41 pm
Sure we all want USU football to do well. Everybody who posts on here is a serious fan. I don't believe getting blown out like we did against Boise State is the same as had we been competitive. A better prepared team would have been right in that game. I have stayed to the end of games where the Aggies got blown off the field. However, you will see fans leave early if you are down 42-7. It will cause fewer fans to come back than if it is a competitive game in the 4th quarter. That is just a reality. Not many people want to see their team get demolished. It also just doesn't reflect well on the program that we got blown out in our 3 biggest games. Sure at the end of the day it is all L's if we lose by 4 or 40, but these are games we should be up for and ready to go. It is a bad sign when we can't get up for our biggest games.
you'll get no argument from me on any of this.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 30th, 2019, 1:10 am

are you kidding me?
geez .. we were clueless
Doesn't matter when their guys are bigger and more physical than you. Tape don't do (I can't express myself without swearing) then. That's why Gary keeps talking about hitting the weight room.

Also our offensive woes hasnt helped.

And Boise has mostly looked beatable with their 2nd string QB. This Henderson guy is killing it.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 30th, 2019, 6:59 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
are you kidding me?
geez .. we were clueless
Doesn't matter when their guys are bigger and more physical than you. Tape don't do s*** then. That's why Gary keeps talking about hitting the weight room.

Also our offensive woes hasnt helped.

And Boise has mostly looked beatable with their 2nd string QB. This Henderson guy is killing it.
If this is the case, which I’m not convinced it is, then what happened between last year and this one? We competed fairly well with them last year on their home field.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 30th, 2019, 8:04 am

November 29th, 2019, 8:43 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

The point is about our poor showing against Boise State while teams like Wyoming and CSU played them to a one score game. The fact that we are better than CSU and Wyoming only proves the point further. Assuming we win tomorrow we'll finish with a winning season closing out a decade that will see us make our 8th bowl game in 9 years. Definitely an amazing thing compared to where we were for the 3 decades before that. It doesn't mean the team is above criticism. Something was off in our 3 biggest games. Air Force and Boise State are good, but the gap between us and them is not as big as was demonstrated in those games. The gap between byu and us is definitely not what it showed during that game.
Everyone has seen the video on this. Mississippi St. beat its rival Ole Miss 20-21 a couple of days ago. The Ole Miss player scored a TD and they would have been primed to sent the game into OT with the XP — but for one small mistake. The idiot that scored the last-second TD did a celebration by imitating a dog peeing in the opponent’s
end zone. He was flagged 15 yards for his antics and the gimme XP now became a 35-yarder. The Ole Miss kicker missed.

The post-game response from the Ole Miss coach and AD was, “That’s not who we are!” — which is to say, “We’re better than we demonstrated.” BS. They are what they demonstrated. Similarly, USU is what it demonstrated against AFA, BYU, and BSU until it proves otherwise. So I’m not buying the “We’re better than what we showed” excuse. Those three games were the most important ones on our schedule; two division games against the teams ranked above us and one game against arguably our biggest rival. And we were uncompetitive in all three games — two of which were on our home field. Until we demonstrate otherwise, we are who we are.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
TrueBlueFan

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 30th, 2019, 8:08 am

It might be because we're not living right off the field. I realize that could be taken as a joke, but it's not.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 30th, 2019, 9:58 am

This season has the feel of the last potato bowl team that lost to the Zips. I think we are better than what we have shown. After the bowl game my kids were cheering the players as they ran off the field and there was absolutely no emotion down. It was a business decision for some of the players to not put the effort into that game. They just couldn’t wait to get the hell out of here. We had some great talent that year, but just couldn’t put it all together. I get that same feeling this year.

I know the coaches love the players and Andersen is as good as there is at loving them up, andy that’s a good thing.

In backing off for the last few days I think a couple of things are in play. This season seems worse because of what the fans have dealt with during the home games and something is of chemistry wise. If we look at our home schedule and results we have been treated to some terrible time slots awful weather, and bad football.

Stony Brook - great weather, we did what we were supposed to do.

CSU- miserable conditions, late game, horrible offensive output. Scarver and Woody saved the day.

Nevada- weather sucked until kickoff, late game. It was a blowout that just wasn’t very entertaining and had a weird feel to it.

BYU-late game that we got handled in every facet.

Wyoming-great weather, great kick time, and a physical game that was very entertaining.

Boise- Late game, cold weather, and we got worked again in every way.

That doesn’t make for a very good season for the fans. The Wyoming game was a lot of fun though. Outside of that though it was a weird year. Our best games came in the road at SDSU and Fresno.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 30th, 2019, 6:01 pm

It would be interesting to really know what has gone on this season. Injuries certainly account for many of the issues. As many of you, I just feel there is something more to this.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm

The young offensive line and injuries on defense are a huge part of why we won 7 rather than 8 games on the year. Will Peasly be back next year? I think if we can put him behind a stout line we will go bowling again. I really like his ability to throw and run. I was feeling a little picked on till I just looked at the conference win percentage, Right now we are 3rd overall in the MWC. We had high expectations that we didn't meet and we still managed a 3rd place finish. That's good enough to keep us up in the top third of the league exactly where you want to be as a program year in year out. https://themw.com/standings.aspx?path=fball

#hornsup!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 30th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm
The young offensive line and injuries on defense are a huge part of why we won 7 rather than 8 games on the year. Will Peasly be back next year? I think if we can put him behind a stout line we will go bowling again. I really like his ability to throw and run. I was feeling a little picked on till I just looked at the conference win percentage, Right now we are 3rd overall in the MWC. We had high expectations that we didn't meet and we still managed a 3rd place finish. That's good enough to keep us up in the top third of the league exactly where you want to be as a program year in year out. https://themw.com/standings.aspx?path=fball
Peasley?! I isn’t it Columbi’s job to lose?

Locked Previous topicNext topic