P5 breakoff

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

P5 breakoff

Post by slcagg » August 3rd, 2020, 9:08 pm

I’ve seen this multiple places as far as the p5 starting to look more into breaking away from the NCAA.

Aggie19

Re: P5 breakoff

Post by Aggie19 » August 3rd, 2020, 9:17 pm

Good write-up on it. Doesn't mention byu-p, just the P5 and ND.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-of-time/
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
Sl7vk

Go Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 3rd, 2020, 9:27 pm

If that's the case, then it will have been the NCAA's own doing by placating the P5 all these years.
Good riddance. The P5 has hurt a school like ours immeasurably.
Let them do their own thing, and let us compete for an NCAA championship.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » August 3rd, 2020, 10:01 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 9:27 pm
If that's the case, then it will have been the NCAA's own doing by placating the P5 all these years.
Good riddance. The P5 has hurt a school like ours immeasurably.
Let them do their own thing, and let us compete for an NCAA championship.
I agree 100%. I will not miss them, hopefully they take the BCS and so called playoff with them. I could only see them doing that in football.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 3rd, 2020, 10:02 pm

I’ve heard this for a long time.

What’s the business case for a new league? To increase profit you either need to increase revenue or reduce expenses.

Will revenue increase? Will ESPN pay more now that the name of the league has changed? Will people start attending women’s sports?

Will expenses decrease? Will paying out 50% of revenue decrease expenses?

Or alternatively, the P5 likes to bluff so that when votes come up, they get their way.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 4th, 2020, 12:14 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 10:02 pm
I’ve heard this for a long time.

What’s the business case for a new league? To increase profit you either need to increase revenue or reduce expenses.

Will revenue increase? Will ESPN pay more now that the name of the league has changed? Will people start attending women’s sports?

Will expenses decrease? Will paying out 50% of revenue decrease expenses?

Or alternatively, the P5 likes to bluff so that when votes come up, they get their way.
The P5 have made this bluff for many years. I think the original Bowl alliance was created in part to placate them a bit when the power conferences started making this kind of noise in the early 1990s, after CFA Supreme Court Case. Who knows, maybe they will ultimately follow through with it.

But I would think this would bring about a whole host of additional issues. For example, we know that among public universities that sponsor D1 sports, only about 20 of them actually make a profit or break even. So as it stands now, even most of the P5 schools rely on taxpayer funds to support their athletic programs. How much will tax payers be willing to pay so that their public universities can provide a professional minor league for the multi-Billion dollar NFL? If this turns the athletic departments into for profit, professional minor leagues, what happens to the tax exempt status of donations made to these athletic programs? We know that USU is very much on the lower end of donations, but according to January 2019 report of the State of Utah Auditor (for the USU year that ended in June 2018), USU receives approximately 4.7 million annually in "contributions", and another almost 400k in "In Kind" contributions. So around 5 million annually in contributions. If those contributions were made to a for profit, professional sports club, they would most certainly lose the tax exempt status. What would happen to the level of contributions if people did not get a tax break when making the contributions? If USU were a P5 school, we'd stand to lose potentially up to 12% of our annual athletic budget. I can't imagine how much schools like Alabama or Ohio State would stand to lose. The net effect will most likely be greater at smaller P5 schools like Iowa State or Oregon State. (Note that I am not an accountant, auditor, or tax expert, so my understanding of how this all works is rudimentary at best. If someone can explain this better, or correct my understanding of how tax exempt contributions work, please do. But at the very least, I would think becoming a for profit enterprise would have a negative effect on contributions.

Ultimately though, I am glad USU would not be a part of this. Collegiate athletics has already been ruined for me. I cheer for USU because it is my school. But I stopped following collegiate football a long time ago. I have no interest in watching the same four schools from the southeast compete for the championship every year.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » August 4th, 2020, 6:22 am

There's also the ugly issue the IRS brought up of taxing "unrelated business income." Michigan and several other schools were "investigated." I think the NCAA gives them at least the appearance of legitimacy in this arena, and if they were to go their own separate ways, it looks more and more like its about money, and now the IRS maybe has a reason to go after them again. We're so far off that "beaten path" that it shouldn't matter to us anyway. I know it does-- money and exposure.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 4th, 2020, 8:36 am

To be honest would there really be that much difference than what we currently see? If we are honest with ourselves it is easy to see that there is a big gap between the power 5 and the other conferences. If there was a split I can't see if changing much. The power 5 teams would still want to schedule teams outside the power 5 similar to now with the G5/FCS. If that happened it would be interesting if the G5 joined with the FCS to expand the championship that they currently have with FCS.

Maybe i am off my rocker, but to me that would be pretty interesting.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 4th, 2020, 8:42 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:36 am
To be honest would there really be that much difference than what we currently see? If we are honest with ourselves it is easy to see that there is a big gap between the power 5 and the other conferences. If there was a split I can't see if changing much. The power 5 teams would still want to schedule teams outside the power 5 similar to now with the G5/FCS. If that happened it would be interesting if the G5 joined with the FCS to expand the championship that they currently have with FCS.

I think the only issue with the P5 splitting off is if the NCAA doesn't count wins against them. At that point the G5 have less incentive to pay them. Similarly the P5 would have to give value to the G5 games. But as long as we can play them, it won't effect us that much.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 4th, 2020, 9:20 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:42 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:36 am

I think the only issue with the P5 splitting off is if the NCAA doesn't count wins against them. At that point the G5 have less incentive to pay them. Similarly the P5 would have to give value to the G5 games. But as long as we can play them, it won't effect us that much.
The other issue is losing any chance of having a P5 home game, as rare as that opportunity presents itself. But we have had Oregon, Wake Forest, and Utah in the past couple of decades, and was supposed to have Washington State this year.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 4th, 2020, 9:44 am

Aggie19 wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 9:17 pm

1. Of course it doesn't mention ybu, no one is inviting them to the P5 party.
2. Covid is the catalyst to propel this - IE timing is good
3. I bet will see state lawmakers get involved in this, it will be torpedoed!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 4th, 2020, 12:02 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 9:44 am
Aggie19 wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 9:17 pm

1. Of course it doesn't mention ybu, no one is inviting them to the P5 party.
2. Covid is the catalyst to propel this - IE timing is good
3. I bet will see state lawmakers get involved in this, it will be torpedoed!
How many times does BYU keep asking the pretty girl out- and keep getting rejected? It’s like a 90s sitcom.

Locked Previous topicNext topic