Blake Anderson??

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
arkstfan

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Bonner has been the starter all year. He rotates with a Bama transfer

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 10th, 2020, 1:38 pm

These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post (total 5):
JFW_AGGIESUSU78thegreendalegelfBLUERUFiOAggieFBObsession

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 10th, 2020, 1:41 pm

arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm
Don't want to be rude, but Bonner looks like he could mix in a salad every so often. Jeez, if him and a certain LB on our defense hit the buffet together, we are in huge trouble.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 1:43 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:18 pm
hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:04 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Wow. USU has two huge advantages that separate it from most universities in our circumstance. The disparate number of D1 prospects in Utah due to the polynesian populations and the ability to recruit lineman on both sides of the ball and give them an extra 2-3 years of age. Even if we are 3rd in the pecking order this advantage is the only thing that allows us to have FBS worthy fronts. Why do you think Utah and BYU have had the success they've had too.

If you fail on the Utah front with the poly pipeline and getting the missionary front you don't have a chance in hell of building a real program up front. And I don't care how many skill players you get out of Texas, Florida, and California you don't win long term without having a developmental program usiing the Utah advantages to be solid where it counts.

I think that was pretty much universally understood.
Do you believe we get even third pick of recruits out of our state?
No, the top recruits are going PAC10 and BIG12. We have to go after the JC stuff, and the guys that need to be developed. But we can't win consistently without it. The poly pipeline was absolutely essential to the turnaround of the program along with identifying kids we can develop. Its not even debatable. It would be insane to even consider abandoning our advantages that allow us to compete. And there is no reason to even contemplate allowing that to happen. Utah is a critical part of the recruiting strategy that we have available that other programs in similar circumstances don't. Its allowed us to be successful in the mountain west with the smallest stadium and one the smallest budgets.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 10th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Comments here are interesting and may speak to this being a bit of a coup for Hartwell.

These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
BLUERUFiO

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Anderson seems like a self-honest and good dude. I would guess that his AState players will miss him...best wishes to them and to the AState family. Welcome to USU Coach B!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Does he run tempo? I would like to see that employed as a tool when it makes sense rather than an overall philosophy. It is great when you have the horses and knife in the back of the defense when you don't
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 10th, 2020, 1:46 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:43 pm
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Wow. USU has two huge advantages that separate it from most universities in our circumstance. The disparate number of D1 prospects in Utah due to the polynesian populations and the ability to recruit lineman on both sides of the ball and give them an extra 2-3 years of age. Even if we are 3rd in the pecking order this advantage is the only thing that allows us to have FBS worthy fronts. Why do you think Utah and BYU have had the success they've had too.

If you fail on the Utah front with the poly pipeline and getting the missionary front you don't have a chance in hell of building a real program up front. And I don't care how many skill players you get out of Texas, Florida, and California you don't win long term without having a developmental program usiing the Utah advantages to be solid where it counts.

No, the top recruits are going PAC10 and BIG12. We have to go after the JC stuff, and the guys that need to be developed. But we can't win consistently without it. The poly pipeline was absolutely essential to the turnaround of the program along with identifying kids we can develop. Its not even debatable. It would be insane to even consider abandoning our advantages that allow us to compete. And there is no reason to even contemplate allowing that to happen. Utah is a critical part of the recruiting strategy that we have available that other programs in similar circumstances don't. Its allowed us to be successful in the mountain west with the smallest stadium and one the smallest budgets.
So, what about the most successful program in our conference, do they heavily recruit their state or rely heavily on the poly pipeline? (don't know the answer, honestly asking). What about one of the teams that has heavily come up in our conference, Nevada, do they recruit their state heavily?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:41 pm
arkstfan wrote:
Don't want to be rude, but Bonner looks like he could mix in a salad every so often. Jeez, if him and a certain LB on our defense hit the buffet together, we are in huge trouble.
i am in an all day 5 year planning meeting at work and just laughed out loud after reading that. it is hard to explain to my boss while i blurted out in laughter. i might need to pay a little closer attention at work.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiOaggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 1:50 pm

hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

i completely agree. that being said you can still use that formula with a coach that is not from here. he just has to make it a priority.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 10th, 2020, 1:50 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:46 pm
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

So, what about the most successful program in our conference, do they heavily recruit their state or rely heavily on the poly pipeline? (don't know the answer, honestly asking). What about one of the teams that has heavily come up in our conference, Nevada, do they recruit their state heavily?
Boise recruits Polynesian players quite a bit. The state of Idaho, not so much, mostly California and Texas

Go Aggies!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2020, 1:52 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Here's an interesting tidbit:
Anderson has been a candidate for other jobs in the past, interviewing for the Missouri vacancy in 2019 and the Baylor opening in 2016.
https://www.kait8.com/2020/12/10/report ... e-opening/

From the same source, a link:
Could help explain why it "took so long". Looks like it's a $1 mill buyout before the 2020 season ends and $800k after. Arky State's final game was cancelled, thus ending their season, allowing USU to announce now while saving $200k.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » December 10th, 2020, 1:59 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm
Does he run tempo? I would like to see that employed as a tool when it makes sense rather than an overall philosophy. It is great when you have the horses and knife in the back of the defense when you don't
Yes he does run up tempo O.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
AggieFBObsession

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 2:01 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:52 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Here's an interesting tidbit:
Anderson has been a candidate for other jobs in the past, interviewing for the Missouri vacancy in 2019 and the Baylor opening in 2016.
https://www.kait8.com/2020/12/10/report ... e-opening/

From the same source, a link:
Could help explain why it "took so long". Looks like it's a $1 mill buyout before the 2020 season ends and $800k after. Arky State's final game was cancelled, thus ending their season, allowing USU to announce now while saving $200k.
I like the "games in lieu of buyout" provision, too. Don't mind playing those guys home and home. Good contest most of the time and they're beatable by our good teams.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 10th, 2020, 2:02 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:22 am

Seems like he has a lot of energy. Don’t think I’d be disappointed with this hire.
Wait, they have a waterfall in their stadium? We should get one.

stang

Post by stang » December 10th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Has anyone checked with Isaac Draxler yet to see if these reports are legit?
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
AGinNEIowa

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:50 pm
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Boise recruits Polynesian players quite a bit. The state of Idaho, not so much, mostly California and Texas
Boise is also on different level nationally and financially with their program and are able to compete with the PAC 12 programs in the northwest for recruits. My point is not that we shouldn't recruit elsewhere for lineman, LBs, TEs, exc. The Poly and LDS connections cross state lines and there are a lot of close family ties across the west. But to ignore Utah would be to ignore those critical pipelines altogether. That's what you seemed to be suggesting. That would be a huge unforced error and set the program way back. I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone say with a straight face that abandoning these two sources of very good and critical recruits is anything other than insanity. You take advantages of the resources you have. No need to scour the country for developmental lineman while neglecting your back yard that produces a disproportionately high number of such prospects and has been the key to sustained success.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 10th, 2020, 2:03 pm

hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Amen. And I admit I am a homer when it comes to recruiting but I think it is very good from the program to have local talent as part of the pool. Having out the area coaches is great but hanging on to someone who knows the state and has a poly connection is a big deal.
Last edited by gomretat on December 10th, 2020, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
2004AG

arkstfan

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
arkstfan wrote:
You looking at Logan or Caleb Bonner?

arkstfan

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 2:06 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:02 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:22 am

Seems like he has a lot of energy. Don’t think I’d be disappointed with this hire.
Wait, they have a waterfall in their stadium? We should get one.
It’s 72 in Jonesboro today. Y’all would likely end up with an ice sculpture
These users thanked the author arkstfan for the post (total 4):
USU78AggiePTOrangeCountyAggie3rdGenAggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 10th, 2020, 2:06 pm

arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
arkstfan wrote:
You looking at Logan or Caleb Bonner?
Logan. Are you saying this is the skinny one?

Edit- Caleb looks built. Logan looks like he's built out of marshmallow.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 10th, 2020, 2:10 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:50 pm
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Boise is also on different level nationally and financially with their program and are able to compete with the PAC 12 programs in the northwest for recruits. My point is not that we shouldn't recruit elsewhere for lineman, LBs, TEs, exc. The Poly and LDS connections cross state lines and there are a lot of close family ties across the west. But to ignore Utah would be to ignore those critical pipelines altogether. That's what you seemed to be suggesting. That would be a huge unforced error and set the program way back. I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone say with a straight face that abandoning these two sources of very good and critical recruits is anything other than insanity. You take advantages of the resources you have. No need to scour the country for developmental lineman while neglecting your back yard that produces a disproportionately high number of such prospects and has been the key to sustained success.
I agree.

Go Aggies!

arkstfan

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Old photo

Blake has resigned. Best of luck. Very happy for him
These users thanked the author arkstfan for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiO2004AG

Stucki

Post by Stucki » December 10th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I'm assuming those of you not excited about this hire don't watch a lot of college football outside of our Ags. When I saw the tweet that it was him, my first thought was that this is better than anyone that had been speculated about on the board. I've been in the Jay Hill camp since Wells resigned, but I think this is a better hire than Hill.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post (total 4):
oleblu111USU78Sl7vkBLUERUFiO

Hail the Utah Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 2:15 pm

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Very few thing in football bug me more than putting in 2 qbs every other series. ... makes zero sense to me.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

stang

Post by stang » December 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Stucki wrote:I'm assuming those of you not excited about this hire don't watch a lot of college football outside of our Ags. When I saw the tweet that it was him, my first thought was that this is better than anyone that had been speculated about on the board. I've been in the Jay Hill camp since Wells resigned, but I think this is a better hire than Hill.
Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t mean they know less about football than you. There were some really excellent coaches out there as potential candidates. I think Anderson is a good hire, but I understand if people are let down because USU didn’t get some of the other guys in the running.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
2004AG

Stucki

Post by Stucki » December 10th, 2020, 2:26 pm

stang wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Stucki wrote:I'm assuming those of you not excited about this hire don't watch a lot of college football outside of our Ags. When I saw the tweet that it was him, my first thought was that this is better than anyone that had been speculated about on the board. I've been in the Jay Hill camp since Wells resigned, but I think this is a better hire than Hill.
Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t mean they know less about football than you. There were some really excellent coaches out there as potential candidates. I think Anderson is a good hire, but I understand if people are let down because USU didn’t get some of the other guys in the running.
I didn't meant to imply that they didn't know football, just weren't paying attention. I agree there were great names in the discussion. I'm saying I think this will end up better than any of them.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 10th, 2020, 2:27 pm

He doesn’t have a great bowl record and I agree he isn’t splashy... maybe we can get some splashy coordinators? That seemed to be the difference in much of our past success anyway with Aranda, Orlando, Yost, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 2:27 pm

stang wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm
I think its fair to say that this hire is really out of the blue. But the guy has won every year until this year at a place that can't be too easy to win. I'm concerned about his teams defenses but if he addresses that with someone with a good 3-4 reputation and makes sure the staff is composed to maintain our unique recruiting this can be really good.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 10th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Some folks on here seem to think they know what the recruiting goals of the new coach will be ? Of course they do not know what they are, but fans like to guess, but patience is a good tool to use.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 2:34 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Some folks on here seem to think they know what the recruiting goals of the new coach will be ? Of course they do not know what they are, but fans like to guess, but patience is a good tool to use.
I assume they will be to recruit the best players possilbe using all of the advantages they have at their disposal from both a coach connection and program connection standpoint. Is their some different goal a coach would have?

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 10th, 2020, 2:34 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Goal #1
Get better

Nailed it

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:36 am
slcagg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:28 am
Here is there commit list. Be curious if maybe the Texas kids follow him.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas- ... l/Commits/
Ideally, he'll bring a couple but most importantly he'll keep those we have committed.
I've only had one current commit confirm that he is signing next week.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieUSU78

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 10th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Well it’s official. According to Wikipedia, Blake Anderson IS the head football coach of Utah State University.

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic