AFA game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

AFA game

Post by brownjeans » September 12th, 2021, 11:38 am

Bad news - our defense's aggressive pursuit made us vulnerable to a lot of misdirection against ND at the start of that game. Air Force are masters of misdirection and taking advantage of over-pursuit.

Good news - our staff seems very good at mid-game adjustments. If things go bad at the start, I think we'll fix it.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaceofspadeskb

Roy McAvoy

Re: AFA game

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 12th, 2021, 11:45 am

I’m not sure we have a single coach on staff that has any real experience/success coaching against the option. Georgia tech abandoned it a few years ago.

KoryBowling
Has thanked: 0

AFA game

Post by KoryBowling » September 12th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:I’m not sure we have a single coach on staff that has any real experience/success coaching against the option. Georgia tech abandoned it a few years ago.
A state played GA Southern every year. BA knows it and Banda was at Miami coaching when Tech was running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author KoryBowling for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieRoy McAvoyUSU78aggies22

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 12th, 2021, 12:26 pm

KoryBowling wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:I’m not sure we have a single coach on staff that has any real experience/success coaching against the option. Georgia tech abandoned it a few years ago.
A state played GA Southern every year. BA knows it and Banda was at Miami coaching when Tech was running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I had no idea GA southern was an option team.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 12th, 2021, 12:28 pm

This AFA team isn’t particularly dynamic or good. Just need to be ready for the option and we should win.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ViAggieJSHarvey

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 12th, 2021, 12:58 pm

watch them throw to their TE for like 180 yards this weekend. AFA always has their best passing game against us it seems.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
ViAggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 12th, 2021, 2:51 pm

It'll be a dog fight.
I'm confident that we will have someone defend the pitch man this year.
Frank took a gamble leaving that guy open for all 60 minutes last year, and it didn't pay off in our favor.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 12th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 2:51 pm
It'll be a dog fight.
Frank took a gamble leaving that guy open for all 60 minutes last year, and it didn't pay off in our favor.
The problem with that strategy is that we didn't hit the QB, either. We let the QB hold that ball for far too long before the pitch and we didn't really remind him that if he holds that ball for too long, someone big is going to hit you hard. They went unchecked on those option plays. We need to make the QB think twice about holding the ball too long. A few good hits, and he'll pitch it sooner and it'll help limit big gains.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
PIGSKINAGGIEaggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 12th, 2021, 5:04 pm

I watch football all the time, but am no expert in schemes. For AF's triple option what is the formation on defense to stop them? This game has me super worried as the last 2 years the defense has been abused from AF for 300+ yards rushing. It will be interesting to see what Banda can do since i am not sure how much he has schemed against option attacks. They seem to always have good passing games against us as well. Their offense scares me a lot.

I think our offense will be able to move the ball fairly well. We have to score TD's in the red zone. We have not been good at getting TD's in the red zone. The aggies have to sustain drives and cannot go 3 and out which will put too much pressure on the defense to get worn down.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
ViAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 12th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 4:49 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 2:51 pm
It'll be a dog fight.
The problem with that strategy is that we didn't hit the QB, either. We let the QB hold that ball for far too long before the pitch and we didn't really remind him that if he holds that ball for too long, someone big is going to hit you hard. They went unchecked on those option plays. We need to make the QB think twice about holding the ball too long. A few good hits, and he'll pitch it sooner and it'll help limit big gains.
This strategy isn't entirely new. Whack the Quarterback has been around since at least Bud Wilkinson to blunt his Split T Option offense.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Yossarian

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » September 12th, 2021, 9:13 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 5:04 pm
I watch football all the time, but am no expert in schemes. For AF's triple option what is the formation on defense to stop them? This game has me super worried as the last 2 years the defense has been abused from AF for 300+ yards rushing. It will be interesting to see what Banda can do since i am not sure how much he has schemed against option attacks. They seem to always have good passing games against us as well. Their offense scares me a lot.

I think our offense will be able to move the ball fairly well. We have to score TD's in the red zone. We have not been good at getting TD's in the red zone. The aggies have to sustain drives and cannot go 3 and out which will put too much pressure on the defense to get worn down.
Against North Dakota 4 of our 6 touchdowns were over 40 years. We scored 2 Tds in 5 trips to the red zone, 2fgs, and 1 turnover on downs. Love the ability for the long score but need to sustain and finish drives.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 12th, 2021, 9:50 pm

If bond plays we will roll Air Force, if he doesn’t it could be more of a shootout.
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post:
aggiesdidwhat

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » September 13th, 2021, 12:42 am

Aggie84025 wrote:

Don't worry! This defense is NOTHING like the last 2 years. We will be FINE! I had a dream, I should bet on the game... But if I do they will lose. In my dream, we handled them!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 13th, 2021, 8:00 am

Aggie84025 wrote:

My opinion...

In the past we have installed a 4-man front specifically for the AF game to help ensure we tackle the dive each and every play. This is no guarantee about anything, however. The key to the option isn't formation, but discipline. Discipline on lining up correctly. Discipline on reading your keys correctly. Discipline on doing your job each play despite what your eyes might be telling you. The scheme is more important than the formation. This is making sure that the responsibilities each position has make sense. Most years, we do this pretty well. Last year was an abject failure in scheme where the option responsibility of the players didn't really fit where they were lined up by the staff.

The other key is getting off blocks in the secondary. If we don't, we lose.

We have more speed to be able to address issues this year, but without discipline, it won't matter. I am terrified of this game, but excited as well to see what we really have on defense.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
USU78Aggie84025AGinNEIowa

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 13th, 2021, 8:25 am

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 12:42 am
Aggie84025 wrote:

Don't worry! This defense is NOTHING like the last 2 years. We will be FINE! I had a dream, I should bet on the game... But if I do they will lose. In my dream, we handled them!
Well if the aggie won in your dream then I am not worried at all, the aggies will win for sure.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 13th, 2021, 8:30 am

https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-op ... 78eff.html

AFA beat writer says AFA won’t likely have any more resistance this week against USU than it has the past two weeks against Lafayette and Navy.

Slap this on the bulletin board!

https://247sports.com/college/air-force ... 30/?page=1

One poster says their defense is going to “throttle” USU.

It’s still early in the season, but I don’t know what about beating two bad teams unimpressively is giving them so much confidence. IMO, they need to consider giving up only three points to Navy within the context that Navy mustered only 7 points against a MAC defense in week 1. They should also consider their defensive performance against Lafayette within the context that AFA surrendered more points to Lafayette than did William & Mary in week 2.

Ags by 14.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on September 13th, 2021, 8:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 13th, 2021, 8:31 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 8:00 am
Aggie84025 wrote:

My opinion...

In the past we have installed a 4-man front specifically for the AF game to help ensure we tackle the dive each and every play. This is no guarantee about anything, however. The key to the option isn't formation, but discipline. Discipline on lining up correctly. Discipline on reading your keys correctly. Discipline on doing your job each play despite what your eyes might be telling you. The scheme is more important than the formation. This is making sure that the responsibilities each position has make sense. Most years, we do this pretty well. Last year was an abject failure in scheme where the option responsibility of the players didn't really fit where they were lined up by the staff.

The other key is getting off blocks in the secondary. If we don't, we lose.

We have more speed to be able to address issues this year, but without discipline, it won't matter. I am terrified of this game, but excited as well to see what we really have on defense.
I'm worried as well; of course, I'm worried before every game! Watching the Navy game, Air Force seemed fast and solid on defense. The offense is always a concern. We've had eye and position discipline issues in both of our first 2 games. I'm hopeful that our speed helps. We need someone in the middle to account for that fullback. I could see us using KM in the middle and AJ and Rice on either outside LB (not edge rush) to capitalize on their speed. But I'm not a coach. So we'll see what happens.

I hope that all of our D-line can still walk after the game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 13th, 2021, 8:40 am

This will be a tough game for our defense. They haven't always been discipline in their assignments. It seems that is how this group rolls. I hope I am wrong, but I see this game getting pretty annoying. I was certainly annoyed watching the first quarter of the UND game. It could be a similar feeling this week. As for our offense, it will be tough dealing with the AFA defense. We need to put the ball into the end zone at a high level when we reach the red zone. Right now, I am worried about how well we do that.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
gomretatsam tingey

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 13th, 2021, 8:50 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 8:40 am
This will be a tough game for our defense. They haven't always been discipline in their assignments. It seems that is how this group rolls. I hope I am wrong, but I see this game getting pretty annoying. I was certainly annoyed watching the first quarter of the UND game. It could be a similar feeling this week. As for our offense, it will be tough dealing with the AFA defense. We need to put the ball into the end zone at a high level when we reach the red zone. Right now, I am worried about how well we do that.
Some reasons things should be different this year:

(1) Justin Rice.
(2) much better speed at the end spots.
(3) much more depth across the board on defense.
(4) a competent coaching staff.

This is the remaining game left on the schedule that I most want to win. We so owe these guys.
mcaggie1JSHarvey

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 13th, 2021, 9:03 am

Aggie84025 wrote:I watch football all the time, but am no expert in schemes. For AF's triple option what is the formation on defense to stop them? This game has me super worried as the last 2 years the defense has been abused from AF for 300+ yards rushing. It will be interesting to see what Banda can do since i am not sure how much he has schemed against option attacks. They seem to always have good passing games against us as well. Their offense scares me a lot.

Well defending the option really is quite easy scheme wise. Every play you have 3 guys dedicated to each guy. The DE is on the QB the outside backer/in our defense will be striker has the pitch man and the inside backer as the dive man.

With our 4 2 5 look for us to play both cash and Ajani to be playing every down and responsible for pitch man on their sides. Rice and Vong to handle the dive and our ends to get the QB. That leaves the corners to play man to man with their WR and Bond to keep track of the TE. As long as they stay disciplined its really easy to shut the option down especially if our Ends can get deep into the backfield which will essentially eliminate the option because the spacing will be off.

A 4 2 5 is actually one of the best D to defend against Air Force.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiOnewtonianblue

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 13th, 2021, 9:06 am

Prior to GA 2.0 we were 3-3 against the Zoomies in our first 6 years in the MWC with a couple lopsided victories and all losses being close. The last two meetings were comfortable wins for them to put the series at 3-5. I expect that we’ll go back to competing well with them again with this staff. We just need to avoid 3 and outs and turnovers so that our defense doesn’t wear down. We are in better shape and depth in defense than previous years so that should help. I do think AF will have trouble handling our offense and how we spread them out and utilize our playmakers.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 13th, 2021, 9:06 am

Agzrule wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 9:50 pm
If bond plays we will roll Air Force, if he doesn’t it could be more of a shootout.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is one of the main reasons Bond was held out against UND: to make certain he was available against AFA.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
AggieBlues

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 13th, 2021, 9:17 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 9:06 am
Agzrule wrote:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is one of the main reasons Bond was held out against UND: to make certain he was available against AFA.
One team mate makes the difference between rolling or getting rolled? :headscratch:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 13th, 2021, 9:29 am

ViAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 9:17 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Agzrule wrote:
One team mate makes the difference between rolling or getting rolled? :headscratch:
No, but safeties are important against the option and he's our best one.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 13th, 2021, 10:01 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 9:29 am
ViAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Agzrule wrote:
No, but safeties are important against the option and he's our best one.
Bond will definitely help. I feel that with Bond, Tatum, Reynolds, McGary and Green, we have a solid group of experienced safeties to throw out there. They just need to keep their eyes in the right place. We also have 4 solid DE's and DT's. I get a little worried about our depth at LB and Stryker so hopefully Rice/Vong/Metz and Cash/Carter can stay on the field. Our off season conditioning will definitely help and this team seems to flow to the ball really well. I see this game being more like our 2018 game where we outscored them due to their inability to stop our potent spread offense.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
3rdGenAggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 13th, 2021, 10:18 am

Watch for several trick plays from AFA. Especially if they are not scoring much.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 13th, 2021, 3:51 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 8:50 am
NVAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 8:40 am
Some reasons things should be different this year:

(1) Justin Rice.
(2) much better speed at the end spots.
(3) much more depth across the board on defense.
(4) a competent coaching staff.

This is the remaining game left on the schedule that I most want to win. We so owe these guys.
:cheers: DUDE! Leave a guy something to post. I see this as a game a good USU team could win.

Anyone who thinks they know how this is going to come out is nuts. We're a different team. for all the reasons mentioned. An improved team. But it's stinking AF, and the option. How will our defense control the beastly AF fullback who is playing QB?

This might be the game where our Stryker comes off the field for an OLB in our base defense.

A win in league play on the road against a solid team like AF?

PRICELESS!!!
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
AggieFBObsession

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » September 13th, 2021, 4:18 pm

I have no doubt our coaching staff will have the guys prepared and disciplined and that they will be able to adjust throughout the game, I'm just still not convinced and am very worried. Granted, those two things are some of the biggest keys to defending the option, and our run D is better than our pass D...

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 13th, 2021, 4:27 pm

I've gone from having no hope against Air Force (based on our team the last two years) to now feeling like we have the tools and attitude to possibly pull it off. And when I say possibly I do mean a significant chance, anywhere from 35% to 65% probability. It's hard to really know, though. There have still been some weaknesses exposed in our past two games. But the team has relearned how to tackle, and they look faster and stronger. Those are absolute musts against AF. As many have said already, it will come down to defensive discipline, which we may or may not have enough of at this point. Plus I have no idea how our offense will fair against their D. Excited for the game, either way. Wish I could have been going, but I can't seem to accumulate leave at work.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
ViAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 13th, 2021, 5:03 pm

I believe the defensive reads for the Wishbone are a bit like sandlot football. I coached with a player from U of Texas when the Longhorns ran the Wishbone. We worked out a decently reliable defensive strategy for the Wishbone, and it seemed to reward those teams who can execute their defensive assignments.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » September 13th, 2021, 7:53 pm

ViAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Agzrule wrote:
Uh yes I believe he does, I never said we would get rolled, I think it could be an offensive shoot out if he can’t go, if he plays I think we win by at least two touchdowns but it won’t feel that close

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » September 13th, 2021, 9:00 pm

It seems if the DEs can be disrupted and get into the backfield it throws off the whole offensive scheme. It pushes the offense back a little so they have farther to go to get a positive gain and makes the QB pitch earlier giving rest of defense time to react. May open you up to the dive but I think the LBs can cover that well.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 18th, 2021, 8:01 am

Let's go Aggies beat the falcons today. Excited to see what the Aggies can do. If we can go 3-0 that would be incredible.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 18th, 2021, 8:29 am

We have more speed on the outside on defense than we’ve had in a long time. I’m really hoping we’re going to see that benefit us tonight.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » September 18th, 2021, 8:58 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 8:29 am
We have more speed on the outside on defense than we’ve had in a long time. I’m really hoping we’re going to see that benefit us tonight.
We are hitting harder. We are gang tackling better. We are making open field tackles better. We can do this! Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic