Running Backs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Running Backs

Post by Yossarian » September 22nd, 2021, 11:48 am

Calvin Tyler Jr. has emerged as the clear #1 back and has been fantastic. I am a big proponent of keeping fresh legs on the field at the running back position and would like to see more of the others, but the coaching staff obviously feels differently. What is going on with the rest of this group?

#2 back seems to be Gentry. He has had some good runs but does not see much action
#3 back seems to be Noa. Isn't this the guy that beat Reggie Bush's rushing records at Helix High? What is the deal with him? He hardly sees the field and when he does, he has been mostly ineffective. Have we given up on him? Is he missing assignments and/or can't learn the playbook? I was expecting big things from him.
#4 back is Makakona. He has what, two maybe three carries total on the year?
#5??? We haven't seen a #5 back play yet have we? Is Henry-Cole the #5? Is he hurt? Or can he not beat out the guys ahead of him that have seen limited time with unimpressive results?

Can we establish 3 running backs that can run, catch and block?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Re: Running Backs

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 22nd, 2021, 11:54 am

I’m the opposite about “fresh legs.” Over the years I’ve seen so many RB’s who get better as the game goes on and as they get more carries. It seems they get a better flow for the game & it slows down to them. Calvin Tyler has been starting to show those characteristics to me.

I say we ride him and let him get in a groove.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
BLUERUFiO

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 22nd, 2021, 11:54 am

I don't remember Noa plating vs Air Force. It seemed that Makakona played in his place. My thought was that Noa must have been hurt but I could be wrong.

I am willing to be patient on Gentry and Noa. Both have shown some potential and are young still.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 22nd, 2021, 12:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 11:48 am
Calvin Tyler Jr. has emerged as the clear #1 back and has been fantastic. I am a big proponent of keeping fresh legs on the field at the running back position and would like to see more of the others, but the coaching staff obviously feels differently. What is going on with the rest of this group?

#2 back seems to be Gentry. He has had some good runs but does not see much action
#3 back seems to be Noa. Isn't this the guy that beat Reggie Bush's rushing records at Helix High? What is the deal with him? He hardly sees the field and when he does, he has been mostly ineffective. Have we given up on him? Is he missing assignments and/or can't learn the playbook? I was expecting big things from him.
#4 back is Makakona. He has what, two maybe three carries total on the year?
#5??? We haven't seen a #5 back play yet have we? Is Henry-Cole the #5? Is he hurt? Or can he not beat out the guys ahead of him that have seen limited time with unimpressive results?

Can we establish 3 running backs that can run, catch and block?
We have a solid stable of backs. We seem to let Calvin Tyler take the 1st quarter reps and then John Gentry will check in during the second quarter and take a couple of series. The first two games Elelyon Noa (yes he broke Reggie Bush's record at Helix) would get third quarter reps but it looked like Pailate Makakona got those second half reps at Air Force. We have not had a reason to get to a fifth running back but if I were listing a depth chart Devonta'e Henry-Cole would be the fifth guy on that list and it has been that way on my depth chart since spring.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » September 22nd, 2021, 12:16 pm

Calvin "flashes" as a back that has that extra little something. Ability to make guys miss, ability to run through tackles, etc. I'd like to see him with more carries also.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 22nd, 2021, 12:51 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 11:54 am
I don't remember Noa plating vs Air Force. It seemed that Makakona played in his place. My thought was that Noa must have been hurt but I could be wrong.

I am willing to be patient on Gentry and Noa. Both have shown some potential and are young still.
Not me. I've given up on both of them and would like to see their scholarships yanked and them kicked off the team.

But that's just me.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieflying_scotsman2.0

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » September 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

We have a very deep RB crew. Tyler Jr is the clear #1. Here's to staying healthy.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 22nd, 2021, 1:31 pm

Curious. So DHC was #1, now he's #5. GA was SO far off this last go around it's not even funny.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » September 22nd, 2021, 1:33 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:31 pm
Curious. So DHC was #1, now he's #5. GA was SO far off this last go around it's not even funny.
But... but... but... DHC played at Utah...

It is actually fascinating that a guy that played and had success at Utah(which is known for their running game) is so far down the depth chart. While a guy who barely broke the rotation at Oregon State is playing so well.

browntown

Post by browntown » September 22nd, 2021, 1:45 pm

So far I’ve been very happy with the play of the running backs. Calvin and Gentry especially. Someone needs to remind me if Calvin is a senior or do we have him for multiple years? Gentry and Noa still have lots of time to grow and become even better.
Also it looks like an incoming running back recruit (Briggs) has been very explosive in his games. I think 22 mentioned his situation is similar to Gentry’s high school situation.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 22nd, 2021, 1:46 pm

browntown wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:45 pm
So far I’ve been very happy with the play of the running backs. Calvin and Gentry especially. Someone needs to remind me if Calvin is a senior or do we have him for multiple years? Gentry and Noa still have lots of time to grow and become even better.
Also it looks like an incoming running back recruit (Briggs) has been very explosive in his games. I think 22 mentioned his situation is similar to Gentry’s high school situation.
I am pretty sure Tyler is a junior

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » September 22nd, 2021, 1:48 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:31 pm
But... but... but... DHC played at Utah...

It is actually fascinating that a guy that played and had success at Utah(which is known for their running game) is so far down the depth chart. While a guy who barely broke the rotation at Oregon State is playing so well.
I agree. Just goes to show that football is so much more than some universal measurements of skill.
So much has to do with how a player fits into a scheme with his ability, and how the coordinator decides to use the player.
A player that I think about this with is Edwards-Helaire for the Chiefs. He’s been one of my favorite backs to ever watch in CFB, and so many thought he would be a fun wrinkle in the chiefs offensive scheme. But he hasn’t really been given any productive opportunities in the 1.5 years he’s been with the Chiefs. They obviously don’t need to use him as Mahomes is so great at checking into a perfect matchup with a WR/TE on a chink in the armor of the defense. I’d argue if they used CEH in the right ways, he’d thrive- but what’s the point for them when they’re already scoring at will.
Or how Mike Davis, when used in Christian McCaffrey’s role, put up nearly identical performances to McCaffrey himself. Because the OC just knows how to use the RB in the right ways.

Maybe this is a case of DHC not having the skill set that our OC wants in a RB. But I don’t know enough about his skill set to say that definitively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browntown

Post by browntown » September 22nd, 2021, 1:48 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:46 pm
browntown wrote:
Awesome news there, admittedly I didn’t have high hopes for him coming from Oregon State. I’ll gladly eat crow for doubting him.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 22nd, 2021, 1:54 pm

I think the snaps should generally be distributed as follows:

Calvin - 60-70%
Gentry - 20-30%
Noa/Makakona - 10% of snaps

"Fresh legs" may not make sense in a game, but I do think it makes sense over the course of a season. In just our recent history we have seen how Bright/Thompson kept each other fresh, and what happened to Devante Mays late in seasons when there wasn't really another solid option.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 22nd, 2021, 1:57 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 22nd, 2021, 1:46 pm
browntown wrote:
Tyler may get a year back due to a medical redshirt. We COULD potentially have him for two more seasons following 2021.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 22nd, 2021, 1:58 pm

browntown wrote:
This is true. John Gentry backed up the #1 RB recruit in the country. Robert Briggs is currently backing up a kid that is committed to Baylor.

Locked Previous topicNext topic