The Red Zone Offense is Appalling

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

The Red Zone Offense is Appalling

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 16th, 2021, 5:56 pm

That's all.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SwaggieAggie

Re: The Red Zone Offense is Appalling

Post by SwaggieAggie » October 16th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Why no Peasley in those situations? Anderson always says in interviews that they still want to utilize him in certain packages. If not then, when?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 16th, 2021, 6:55 pm

our running game is horrendous. you have to be able to score a td from the 1. We are having tough times running on them, we should be throwing a few more times and doing less runs.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » October 16th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 6:55 pm
our running game is horrendous. you have to be able to score a td from the 1. We are having tough times running on them, we should be throwing a few more times and doing less runs.
We literally run the same play over and over. Zero imagination!
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post:
BigBlueSteve

Stucki

Post by Stucki » October 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
If the center/QB exchange wasn't botched, the hole was there on the 4th down play, which just makes it worse.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 16th, 2021, 8:54 pm

So is the rushing offense, the rushing defense, and the field goal unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 16th, 2021, 8:55 pm

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 8:26 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
We literally run the same play over and over. Zero imagination!
Amen!! We ran it every single first down in the first half except twice I think.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 16th, 2021, 8:56 pm

If you're Alabama you can just impose your will...we are not Alabama.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
BigBlueSteve

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 16th, 2021, 9:24 pm

One of the worst red zone offenses i have ever seen. What is our TD rate in the red zone? It has to be below 50%.

Eutaw St. Aggie

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm

I’m willing to give our coaches some time, but hopefully we can move from having the most diverse staff in the nation, to like the most talented staff we can afford.

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
BigBlueSteve

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 16th, 2021, 9:45 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm
I’m willing to give our coaches some time, but hopefully we can move from having the most diverse staff in the nation, to like the most talented staff we can afford.

Truth.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
CaptainChaos

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » October 16th, 2021, 10:13 pm

I agree that it was bad. Having said that, when you are outmanned up front, you are going to struggle. I think we have got to give this staff time to build up the physicality of our lines. Look at BYU, who has had time to develop their guys. I was hoping we would pass more in the second half too, especially on first down, but it worked out.

If you look at stats, we had about 100 yards more offense than they did, more time of possesion.

Our defense played so much better in the second half.
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggiesForever

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 16th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Olderthandirt wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:13 pm
I agree that it was bad. Having said that, when you are outmanned up front, you are going to struggle. I think we have got to give this staff time to build up the physicality of our lines. Look at BYU, who has had time to develop their guys. I was hoping we would pass more in the second half too, especially on first down, but it worked out.

If you look at stats, we had about 100 yards more offense than they did, more time of possesion.

Defense stepped up in the 2nd half. It will take time with lines to develop them.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 16th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Olderthandirt wrote:

Defense stepped up in the 2nd half. It will take time with lines to develop them.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 16th, 2021, 11:21 pm

They need to have a Peasley or wildcat package. Maybe go 5 wos and let peasley just go in the spread or 1 tight and 4 receivers and let peasley work with the extra blocker or run read with him.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 16th, 2021, 11:31 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:21 pm
They need to have a Peasley or wildcat package. Maybe go 5 wos and let peasley just go in the spread or 1 tight and 4 receivers and let peasley work with the extra blocker or run read with him.
Or they need to run a two tight end set and run a play action pass to a tight end like every other team in the country. Do they not have a tight end that can catch? Do they not understand that the TE is an eligible receiver?

Eutaw St. Aggie

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » October 16th, 2021, 11:57 pm

Yossarian wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:31 pm
hickaggie wrote:
Or they need to run a two tight end set and run a play action pass to a tight end like every other team in the country. Do they not have a tight end that can catch? Do they not understand that the TE is an eligible receiver?
I believe this to be the root problem of our woes. We all know that this is the answer, but Coach Anderson simply doesn't think that way, yet. He's still trying to scheme as if he were in the South, not the spread offense West.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 17th, 2021, 12:16 am

Yossarian wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:31 pm
hickaggie wrote:
Terrell has had really good moments as a blocker and pass catcher. But it is what it is? Anderson believes in spreading those 4 receivers out as far as possible and that eliminates any sort of lead block power game.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 18th, 2021, 8:12 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:14 pm
Olderthandirt wrote:

Defense also stepped it up in the 2nd quarter. After going down 17-7 at 5:45 in Q1 -the defense allowed 8, 14, 8 and -1 yards with what looks like 2 first downs on the remaining 1st half drives. In 2nd half after UNLV's first drive of 77 and TD, they had drives of 17, 8, 0(INT), 5 and -6(INT) - again it appears 2 first downs in that stretch

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » October 18th, 2021, 8:32 am

BigBlueSteve wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 11:57 pm
I believe this to be the root problem of our woes. We all know that this is the answer, but Coach Anderson simply doesn't think that way, yet. He's still trying to scheme as if he were in the South, not the spread offense West.
No offense, but this is one of the dumbest things Ive read here. Blake Anderson is considered one of the brightest offensive minds in the country (everywhere except in Cache Valley, where all of the worlds offensive geniuses live). He has consistently said that we are doing the best we can with the personnel we presently have.

This is not the NFL, where you can interchange parts on a weekly basis by using the waiver wire if you wish. You get 25 new players a year and you have to make it work with what you have. He has said we need more bigger and better offensive linemen-- some improvements were made this year but our depth is limited. We need a bigger defensive line. We need bigger and faster linebackers and defensive backs. You all know the story.

Blake Anderson has made all the right moves to get us in a position to compete this year. Last year we were 1-4. We are 4-2 now and were projected to be 2-4 at this point.

Remember what Gary Andersen said? It's still true. "Coaches coach the players, BUT PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS AND PLAYERS WIN GAMES." These coaches all come from programs far more successful than USU (with the exception of Anderson-Arkansas St.). Their schemes have worked in the past. We just need to get enough of the right guys in the program to make them work here. So how about a little patience?
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 18th, 2021, 8:36 am

The root cause is not the play calling as much as it is the offensive line. When you're reaching for straws and trying to come up with the most surprising play that the kids never run then you're overlooking the bigger problem. That bigger problem is, why can't you run the obvious play? And the answer is simple. Because you can't dictate what happens at the line of scrimmage with your offensive line. Therefore, what @AggiesForever is saying is spot on. We're about 2 years away from getting this fixed.

The other thing to contemplate is this. Why did the coaches focus on recruiting olinemen so much for not only this last recruiting class but also 2022? Well, duh!

I rewatched the game last night and watched Dolphin uproot and pull to off tackle and then miss block after block. We can't even get our OL to block on the first blocks! We can't even get our OL to be mostly penalty free. I watched Quazzy miss blocks. I watched the rest of the OL do the same. Moats played ok, but he didn't get that many snaps. The bottom line is that we're just not good on the OL. We really need an OL that is like Quin Ficklin. We don't even have a 1st team or 2nd team all-MWC player on the OL this year. That's NOT good if you want to dominate a game against the likes of UNLV.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 18th, 2021, 9:26 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 8:36 am
The root cause is not the play calling as much as it is the offensive line. When you're reaching for straws and trying to come up with the most surprising play that the kids never run then you're overlooking the bigger problem. That bigger problem is, why can't you run the obvious play? And the answer is simple. Because you can't dictate what happens at the line of scrimmage with your offensive line. Therefore, what @AggiesForever is saying is spot on. We're about 2 years away from getting this fixed.

The other thing to contemplate is this. Why did the coaches focus on recruiting olinemen so much for not only this last recruiting class but also 2022? Well, duh!

I rewatched the game last night and watched Dolphin uproot and pull to off tackle and then miss block after block. We can't even get our OL to block on the first blocks! We can't even get our OL to be mostly penalty free. I watched Quazzy miss blocks. I watched the rest of the OL do the same. Moats played ok, but he didn't get that many snaps. The bottom line is that we're just not good on the OL. We really need an OL that is like Quin Ficklin. We don't even have a 1st team or 2nd team all-MWC player on the OL this year. That's NOT good if you want to dominate a game against the likes of UNLV.
Agreed, I am no O-line expert, but to me they should be more than capable of blocking better. SOme of the them were just not even blocking and letting guys run right past them or just bulldoze them. I don't know if it is scheme, technique or just plain effort. We had some games where we ran for over 200 yards and seemed to be doing better.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 18th, 2021, 11:23 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:

I have not rewatched the game but it seemed to me that when the RBs had sucess it was mainly based on some really nice moves on their part. There wasn't much running room even on the bigger runs and LBs and D-lineman were at the point of exchange on the read a number of times.

We seemed a lot better in the first 3 games and I guess the turnover has effected continuity but it doesn't explain terrible technique.

The line issues are a huge part of our red zone woes. Bonner has a quick release and we have an elite receiver and 3-4 very good secondary options that allow us to get yardage on those quick one read throws but as the field shrinks and the secondary more congested you need to be able to go through progressions and run the ball to keep the defense honest.

And lets face it the problem has not only been in the red zone. Offensive production has dropped off considerably the last 3 games. 323 total yards against UNLV is not inspiring.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 18th, 2021, 11:34 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:23 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:

I have not rewatched the game but it seemed to me that when the RBs had sucess it was mainly based on some really nice moves on their part. There wasn't much running room even on the bigger runs and LBs and D-lineman were at the point of exchange on the read a number of times.

We seemed a lot better in the first 3 games and I guess the turnover has effected continuity but it doesn't explain terrible technique.

The line issues are a huge part of our red zone woes. Bonner has a quick release and we have an elite receiver and 3-4 very good secondary options that allow us to get yardage on those quick one read throws but as the field shrinks and the secondary more congested you need to be able to go through progressions and run the ball to keep the defense honest.

And lets face it the problem has not only been in the red zone. Offensive production has dropped off considerably the last 3 games. 323 total yards against UNLV is not inspiring.
The offense the last 3 games seems to trending downward. Your 323 total yards are not correct. We had 298 passing and 142 rushing for 440 total yards. Below are the yards that the UNLV defense has given up each game. Overall from a yards perspective we were right in line with what UNLV was giving up on the season.

EWU- 471
ASU- 465
ISU- 493
Fresno- 461
UTSA- 382

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 18th, 2021, 11:37 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:34 am
hickaggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:23 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:

The offense the last 3 games seems to trending downward. Your 323 total yards are not correct. We had 298 passing and 142 rushing for 440 total yards. Below are the yards that the UNLV defense has given up each game. Overall from a yards perspective we were right in line with what UNLV was giving up on the season.

EWU- 471
ASU- 465
ISU- 493
Fresno- 461
UTSA- 382
You are correct. I misread the box score on the rushing totals and we did average a whopping 3.1 yards per rush so there is that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic