O line play was absolutely atrocious

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Elkaggie

O line play was absolutely atrocious

Post by Elkaggie » October 16th, 2021, 8:58 pm

I have no words to explain how horrible they are. False starts, guys missing blocks, whiffing left and right, can’t pick up a blitz, can’t release the ball on the snap. My goodness that was embarrassing.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: O line play was absolutely atrocious

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 16th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Yeah...they were ROUGH.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 16th, 2021, 9:22 pm

I just wonder why they block every run play like they are blocking for a screen pass. They just let the first wave of the defense come untouched into the backfield.

Eutaw St. Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » October 16th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 8:58 pm
I have no words to explain how horrible they are. False starts, guys missing blocks, whiffing left and right, can’t pick up a blitz, can’t release the ball on the snap. My goodness that was embarrassing.
I know people were complaining about play calling, but the o-line was the source of the issues of the plays.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
AggieFBObsession

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 16th, 2021, 9:58 pm

What happened to Jacob South? Is he hurt? Cole Motes played most of the game at RT

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 16th, 2021, 10:00 pm

GeoAg wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 9:58 pm
What happened to Jacob South? Is he hurt? Cole Motes played most of the game at RT
Was he playing before this game? I saw his number on the field, but didn't see him playing.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 16th, 2021, 10:00 pm

Is Alo done for the season?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 16th, 2021, 10:16 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:00 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Was he playing before this game? I saw his number on the field, but didn't see him playing.
Started all season

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 16th, 2021, 10:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:16 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 10:00 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Started all season
That's the problem.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 16th, 2021, 11:11 pm

SLB wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 9:26 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 8:58 pm
I know people were complaining about play calling, but the o-line was the source of the issues of the plays

Everyone needs to realize we have a limited game manager at qb. He is gutsy and focuses late but the engine if this offense is the o line. Play calling has been fine. The O line needs to step up. Guys in the backfield every play cannot happen as teams load up on the run and underneath coverage.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » October 16th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Our O Line is the worst I have seen since Riley Nelson was our QB running for his life.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 17th, 2021, 2:27 pm

I have to put some of this on coaching. Edwards was moved to RT in our goal line package and a lot of subs were in. I’m all for throwing a wrinkle in there, but why would you move a 4 year starter across the line, especially when he is probably the worst drive blocker to begin with.

I know I’ve said it before, but these guys are shoulder turners. Not drive blockers.

Aggieinsider

Post by Aggieinsider » October 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm

I know I know the run game was off but how about the freshman Motes stepping up after being converted to o line the previous year and not giving up a sack the entire nite??

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 17th, 2021, 6:51 pm

Aggieinsider wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 6:48 pm
I know I know the run game was off but how about the freshman Motes stepping up after being converted to o line the previous year and not giving up a sack the entire nite??
I thought Motes was pretty good for his first start. Anyone know what happened to South?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 8:01 pm

As far as I can tell, @GeoAg he didn't travel with the team. I know that doesn't answer your question but hopefully it'll get answered tomorrow at the press conference.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 17th, 2021, 8:02 pm

With absolutely zero statistic evidence to back it up…..the line sure has seemed a lot better with Alo at center.
When Dolphin and Alo were splitting reps the first couple games, our line really struggled (particularly in the run game) when Dolphin was in. Against Washington State, North Dakota, and Air Force…. It seems like we did much better running the ball during Alo’s reps.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post:
USU78

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 8:07 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:02 pm
With absolutely zero statistic evidence to back it up…..the line sure has seemed a lot better with Alo at center.
When Dolphin and Alo were splitting reps the first couple games, our line really struggled (particularly in the run game) when Dolphin was in. Against Washington State, North Dakota, and Air Force…. It seems like we did much better running the ball during Alo’s reps.
I'm in agreement about Alo vs Dolphin. I've been rewatching the game and Quazzy White has been making some big mistakes in run blocking.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 8:40 pm

We had the following guys getting snaps.
Alfred Edwards LT
Dmytrick Aliifua LG
Chandler Dolphin C
Quazzy White RG/RT
Cole Moats RT
Wade Meacham RG

Aggieinsider

Post by Aggieinsider » October 17th, 2021, 9:04 pm

GeoAg wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Aggieinsider wrote:
I thought Motes was pretty good for his first start. Anyone know what happened to South?
It’s reported that he might have gotten banged up during last weeks practice and showed concussion like symptoms.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2021, 9:06 pm

GeoAg wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Aggieinsider wrote:
Yeah, Motes in the pass blocking was fantastic. What a way to step up when being thrown into the fire.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 17th, 2021, 10:15 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:07 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:02 pm
I'm in agreement about Alo vs Dolphin. I've been rewatching the game and Quazzy White has been making some big mistakes in run blocking.
Dolphin had three penalties called on him — two false starts and one holding. Two of them came back-to-back before halftime when we had a first and 10 at the UNLV 15 yard line. Before you could say “shoot yourself in the foot” we had a third down and 35 yards to go at the UNLV 40-yard line — effectively taking ourselves out of FG range (Coles missed on a 52-yarder).

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 17th, 2021, 10:26 pm

utaggies wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:15 pm

Dolphin had three penalties called on him — two false starts and one holding. Two of them came back-to-back before halftime when we had a first and 10 at the UNLV 15 yard line. Before you could say “shoot yourself in the foot” we had a third down and 35 yards to go at the UNLV 40-yard line — effectively taking ourselves out of FG range (Coles missed on a 52-yarder).
Yeah. I saw that too. At least with Alo there I expect fewer mistakes. That said, the OL is an issue on the offense and is going to be the biggest reason for our yo-yo season. Why yo-yo? You shouldn't be able to beat Wazzu, then squeak by UNLV then beat Air Force and then get blanked by BSU. So, yo-yo.

Also, we don't have 1st team MWC on the OL. That's a problem if you want to win the conference. I don't see much hope in sight right now even for next year. We're probably 2-3 years away from having that kind of talent on the OL. 2nd teamers? Maybe. Not dominant player there like we had in years past with Quin Ficklin.
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on October 17th, 2021, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2021, 10:29 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:26 pm
utaggies wrote:

Yeah. I saw that too. At least with Alo there I expect fewer mistakes. That said, the OL is an issue on the offense and is going to be the biggest reason for our yo-yo season. Why yo-yo? You shouldn't be able to beat Wazzu, then squeak by UNLV then beat Air Force and then get blanked by BSU. So, yo-yo.
Is ALO expected back this week? That would help a lot

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 18th, 2021, 1:01 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 10:29 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Watched the replay of the game, (link provided again below)... CHeck out the 42:42 mark.

Funny thing is that UNLV is in a WIDE 4-2 (at the 42:42 mark) and that 4-2 demolishes every single blocker. You could make an argument that its a 3-3, but it wouldn't be as funny with the time stamp.

I would consider it rare that every single player gets a "-" in a D1 program on a play, but that is what happens here.

Edwards and D.A. double team with little/no movement, both players pad level WAY too high, Dolphin gets put on his back, Q barely makes it out to the LB on the pull and would have been out of position had Tyler been able to get that far, Motes didn't have his best block of the game (will give him a pass with first start). I'm sorry, but this is simply inexcusable.

We wonder why Bonner can't throw down the field or why we abandoned the pass in segments.....its hard to thrown when you are dropping 7 vs the pass. You have to be able to run vs. 6 in the box (and there may be only 4 truly in the box).

4 vs 7 = not good odds, but still may be better than trying to run with these guys up front. I know...smae ole same ole. Personally, our guys cannot be this bad! How is it humanly possible?

These users thanked the author GrandPoubah for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13AggiesForeverEl Sapo

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 18th, 2021, 4:08 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 1:01 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Watched the replay of the game, (link provided again below)... CHeck out the 42:42 mark.

Funny thing is that UNLV is in a WIDE 4-2 (at the 42:42 mark) and that 4-2 demolishes every single blocker. You could make an argument that its a 3-3, but it wouldn't be as funny with the time stamp.

I would consider it rare that every single player gets a "-" in a D1 program on a play, but that is what happens here.

Edwards and D.A. double team with little/no movement, both players pad level WAY too high, Dolphin gets put on his back, Q barely makes it out to the LB on the pull and would have been out of position had Tyler been able to get that far, Motes didn't have his best block of the game (will give him a pass with first start). I'm sorry, but this is simply inexcusable.

We wonder why Bonner can't throw down the field or why we abandoned the pass in segments.....its hard to thrown when you are dropping 7 vs the pass. You have to be able to run vs. 6 in the box (and there may be only 4 truly in the box).

4 vs 7 = not good odds, but still may be better than trying to run with these guys up front. I know...smae ole same ole. Personally, our guys cannot be this bad! How is it humanly possible?

Wow, that was indeed atrocious! The entire OL gets blown up, and blown up bad, by four DL playin wide splits. They were almost conceding the run on that play.

Thanks for sharing.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 18th, 2021, 7:14 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
utaggies wrote:

You can see how frustrated Tyler Jr. is right after that play. I noticed that when watching live, but the dude came out in the second half running with some anger.

He almost had a huge run the play right after but got caught from behind.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 18th, 2021, 7:23 am

GrandPoubah wrote:

UNLV could've had 4 in the box all night and shut our running game down while also having 7 more DBs shutting the passing game down with Thompkins getting double teamed. IMO, their coaching staff is not that good. Even though Friel couldn't pass more than 10 yards, they shouldn't have had any trouble shutting our offense down.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » October 18th, 2021, 9:30 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:27 pm
I have to put some of this on coaching. Edwards was moved to RT in our goal line package and a lot of subs were in. I’m all for throwing a wrinkle in there, but why would you move a 4 year starter across the line, especially when he is probably the worst drive blocker to begin with.

I know I’ve said it before, but these guys are shoulder turners. Not drive blockers.
That play was an unbalanced line. The tight end was lined up in the LT spot and Edwards was lined up at a tight end outside of Motes.

Alo has been a much better run blocker than Dolphin.

Part of our problem against UNLV could be that their line is actually quite good.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Hail the Utah Aggies!

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 18th, 2021, 9:33 am

Stucki wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:30 am
GrandPoubah wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 2:27 pm

That play was an unbalanced line. The tight end was lined up in the LT spot and Edwards was lined up at a tight end outside of Motes.

Alo has been a much better run blocker than Dolphin.

Part of our problem against UNLV could be that their line is actually quite good.

Check the 42:42 mark

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 18th, 2021, 9:43 am

Yossarian wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 9:22 pm
I just wonder why they block every run play like they are blocking for a screen pass. They just let the first wave of the defense come untouched into the backfield.
But we never seem to run a screen pass. You would think how bad the OL is then the defense would never suspect screen when they weren't blocked. You could easily sneak all 5 linemen out and hit a screen to a RB. Of course, maybe the OL wouldn't block for the screen either but the LBs would at least have pylons to run around first.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 18th, 2021, 1:11 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 9:43 am
Yossarian wrote:
October 16th, 2021, 9:22 pm
But we never seem to run a screen pass. You would think how bad the OL is then the defense would never suspect screen when they weren't blocked. You could easily sneak all 5 linemen out and hit a screen to a RB. Of course, maybe the OL wouldn't block for the screen either but the LBs would at least have pylons to run around first.
^This! There are ways to neutralize an aggressive D-line or to help your out-manned OL. Move the pocket, have planned roll outs, throw screens. We lack creativity in play design and in-game calls. There is almost never pre-snap motion or misdirection in our offensive play. It is just line up, stand still, snap the ball and hand-off up the gut or quick throw.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
918AGG

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » October 18th, 2021, 3:02 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Also, we don't have 1st team MWC on the OL. That's a problem if you want to win the conference. I don't see much hope in sight right now even for next year. We're probably 2-3 years away from having that kind of talent on the OL. 2nd teamers? Maybe. Not dominant player there like we had in years past with Quin Ficklin.
And not to forget Tyler Larsen.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 18th, 2021, 11:52 pm

Last comment on this thread for the week --

One thing I noticed from the UNLV game is that it looks like the OL Coach, James, writes down every play as its being called. Given the speed of our offense, one would think any deviation from field focus would present obstacles to visualize the play prior to the snap and ultimately digest the play as it unfolded to determine what occurred (what went right and what went wrong).

Seemingly, this is something an analyst or G.A. should be doing?? I'm surprised that the Oline coach is focused so much on this tracking.

I've never seen a D1 Oline coach do this before....Anyone know if we use iPads on the sidelines to review plays? I haven't noticed.
These users thanked the author GrandPoubah for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 19th, 2021, 11:07 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 11:52 pm
Last comment on this thread for the week --

One thing I noticed from the UNLV game is that it looks like the OL Coach, James, writes down every play as its being called. Given the speed of our offense, one would think any deviation from field focus would present obstacles to visualize the play prior to the snap and ultimately digest the play as it unfolded to determine what occurred (what went right and what went wrong).

Seemingly, this is something an analyst or G.A. should be doing?? I'm surprised that the Oline coach is focused so much on this tracking.

I've never seen a D1 Oline coach do this before....Anyone know if we use iPads on the sidelines to review plays? I haven't noticed.
Next level analysis. Great comments GrandPoubah! :cheers:
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
GrandPoubah

Locked Previous topicNext topic