How will Love perform today?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blue Sage

Re: How will Love perform today?

Post by Blue Sage » November 7th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:18 pm
Monkey off the back of the back with the TD.

At least they put Jordan’s mom in a suite now.
For all the negativity, Loves numbers are better than Mahomes.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
aggies22

#hornsup!

papaj

Post by papaj » November 7th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:40 pm
Jordan played decent. Nothing that is going to wow anyone or say that he is going to be great. At the same time he did not play poor as to give people doubt that he could not play at this level. He can certainly play better, but it could have been a lot worse.
I listened to the Packers play by play, and your assessment is consistent with theirs.
These users thanked the author papaj for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025NowhereLandAggieaggies223rdGenAggie

Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 7th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:38 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 4:05 pm
The announcers sure seem to be pointing out any little thing that isn’t absolutely perfect when it comes to Love. He must be a Rogers jock sniffer or something. Oh my goodness Jordan Love didn’t run over to the coach as soon as that time out was called!!! The coach had to tell him to come over… oh my!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are all Rodgers lovers. Rodgers is a great QB, but an absolute A$$ of a person.
Very well said.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:46 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:18 pm
Monkey off the back of the back with the TD.

At least they put Jordan’s mom in a suite now.
For all the negativity, Loves numbers are better than Mahomes.
Hey now, the announcers are never going to be negative to one their golden children.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:55 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:38 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 4:05 pm
The announcers sure seem to be pointing out any little thing that isn’t absolutely perfect when it comes to Love. He must be a Rogers jock sniffer or something. Oh my goodness Jordan Love didn’t run over to the coach as soon as that time out was called!!! The coach had to tell him to come over… oh my!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are all Rodgers lovers. Rodgers is a great QB, but an absolute A$$ of a person.
Very well said.
I used to actually enjoy watching Rodgers, but cannot stand his pompous arrogant attitude. The way he deceived everyone with his vaccine status was pretty low on his part.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 4:37 pm
These announcers are terrible. Every play they are giving Love crap. Even when he makes a decent play. It’s Loves fault he is running for his life? Yeah he hasn’t played the best but he also has not turned the ball over and didn’t miss 2 field goals.
But when they blitz every single play, the quarterback has to make them pay. He wasn't able to do that at all. So yes, it was partly his fault that he was running for his life. The O-line can't block 7 guys. He has to get it out on time and accurately to his receiver in one on one coverage. I guarantee they wouldn't blitz Rodgers like that, because Rodgers would have absolutely made their defense look silly. There's a reason NFL defenses don't blitz that much all the time.

Love will be fine, but he definitely struggled. We are all a bunch of homers.

Plus, Jordan Love's first start after all the Rodgers controversy surrounding the draft was THE story. Of course they are going to talk about it.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
JSHarveysockpuppet

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2021, 6:28 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
These announcers are terrible. Every play they are giving Love crap. Even when he makes a decent play. It’s Loves fault he is running for his life? Yeah he hasn’t played the best but he also has not turned the ball over and didn’t miss 2 field goals.
But when they blitz every single play, the quarterback has to make them pay. He wasn't able to do that at all. So yes, it was partly his fault that he was running for his life. The O-line can't block 7 guys. He has to get it out on time and accurately to his receiver in one on one coverage. I guarantee they wouldn't blitz Rodgers like that, because Rodgers would have absolutely made their defense look silly. There's a reason NFL defenses don't blitz that much all the time.

Plus, Jordan Love's first start after all the Rodgers controversy surrounding the draft was THE story. Of course they are going to talk about it.
It was his first start in the pros of course they are going to be blitz a lot. He is not the only QB that is starting their first game where they have blitzed the whole game. The game is so much faster from college to pro. I don't think we are being too much of homers on Love. He played decent, could have certainly been better, but did not play so poor that you don't have something to work with.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 7th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

That’s fair and Jordan does need to improve.

That being said had special teams not sharted the bed the Packers may have won 13-10 based purely on points given up or given away by special teams.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » November 7th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

There were definitely some misreads, misfires, and poor decisions, but this wasn't all on him. They had two FG blocked, and a player touch the punt inside the 20. None of that he was even on the field to be a part of.

His final line was not impressive, but it also didn’t cost them the game.

19/34 190 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Despite being blitzed the majority of downs, he was only sacked once.

I have seen a lot worse with QB debuts. He will be able to break down film and learn. I think he will play in the league for a long time.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 7th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Jordan played decent. Some really good throws, especially the 9 for 9 streak in the fourth quarter.

As for the announcers criticizing him: welcome to the NFL, especially when you are supposedly the heir-apparent to a future HOF QB and the reigning league MVP. If he was meant to be a backup QB then the expectations would be low, but he's supposed to be the future for GB.

I thought Aikman made some very astute observations, especially late in the game. When there is zero coverage (not even a safety) Love needs to throw it to the receiver going to the middle of the field and not to the outside receiver running to the corner. He also missed a wide open Devonte' Adams by ten yards the wrong way on what should have been an easy TD.

Love will get picked on and blitzed until he makes defenses pay for blitzing him. If he doesn't he won't be a starter in the NFL.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 7th, 2021, 9:21 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 8:26 pm
Jordan played decent. Some really good throws, especially the 9 for 9 streak in the fourth quarter.

As for the announcers criticizing him: welcome to the NFL, especially when you are supposedly the heir-apparent to a future HOF QB and the reigning league MVP. If he was meant to be a backup QB then the expectations would be low, but he's supposed to be the future for GB.

I thought Aikman made some very astute observations, especially late in the game. When there is zero coverage (not even a safety) Love needs to throw it to the receiver going to the middle of the field and not to the outside receiver running to the corner. He also missed a wide open Devonte' Adams by ten yards the wrong way on what should have been an easy TD.

Love will get picked on and blitzed until he makes defenses pay for blitzing him. If he doesn't he won't be a starter in the NFL.
Love belongs but he needs a few games under his belt. I felt like the 4th quarter he started to get it a bit. He missed Adams on a TD with a guy in his face but the reads were right. When everyone is coming and you have time for one read in man coverage Devonte is the guy to go to. He's made those throws before and will get them down. I felt GB's play calling to start and actually hurt them in they took so long to turn Love loose and relax.

It will be interesting to see what happens this off-season. At least for the GB fans I'm sure today doesn't give them much confidence and if Rodgers stays I think Love will get his chance somewhere else and if its in GB or a decent team I think he will entrench himself after 4 or 5 starts. If he goes somewhere crappy all bets are off.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 8th, 2021, 5:56 am

tjensen_25 wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm
blueaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 4:53 pm
Can he please just show a little emotion or energy.
His body language has been poor the whole game - the QB has to be an energized leader. I'm not sure Love has that in him at the NFL level.
I think he held back some fire and emotion on purpose. He knows he isn't replacing Rodgers anytime soon PLUS it appeared to me like he wanted to act like he'd been here before instead of some wide-eyed rookie bouncing off the walls.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 8th, 2021, 7:49 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 6:38 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

That’s fair and Jordan does need to improve.

That being said had special teams not sharted the bed the Packers may have won 13-10 based purely on points given up or given away by special teams.
I agree. It isn't his fault they lost, and he will be fine. NFL QBs usually struggle at first.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 8th, 2021, 7:52 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 9:21 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Love belongs but he needs a few games under his belt. I felt like the 4th quarter he started to get it a bit. He missed Adams on a TD with a guy in his face but the reads were right. When everyone is coming and you have time for one read in man coverage Devonte is the guy to go to. He's made those throws before and will get them down. I felt GB's play calling to start and actually hurt them in they took so long to turn Love loose and relax.

It will be interesting to see what happens this off-season. At least for the GB fans I'm sure today doesn't give them much confidence and if Rodgers stays I think Love will get his chance somewhere else and if its in GB or a decent team I think he will entrench himself after 4 or 5 starts. If he goes somewhere crappy all bets are off.
His miss on Adams wasn't even close, but yeah, he had a guy in his face. If he makes a few of those throws then they will stop blitzing him.

Late in the fourth quarter he threw to Cobb in the right corner in zero coverage. Not a horrible read as it was all man to man but as Aikman pointed out, the outside receiver's route, a slant, was the proper read because there was no one in the middle of the field.

He showed he as the arm, but it will come down to him making teams pay for blitzing. If he can, then he'll stick. If he can't, they'll move on to someone else.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2021, 7:56 am

Love needed to do something to make them pay for bringing the house. He didn't do that consistently. I hope he gets some film study and maybe another start to really iron out those wrinkles. If he can force them out of the blitz then he will play in the NFL.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 8th, 2021, 8:24 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 7:56 am
Love needed to do something to make them pay for bringing the house. He didn't do that consistently. I hope he gets some film study and maybe another start to really iron out those wrinkles. If he can force them out of the blitz then he will play in the NFL.
It was his first game in 2 years playing at an entirely different speed. It takes time for the game to slow down. He'll be fine. He was recognizing the cover 0 stuff late but just didn't make the throws he normally would. On several plays he was let down by the O-line, play calls, exc. that didn't have a good hot read or a lane to throw it in because the pressure came so fast.

He can get down and I think he will as the game slows down. I think its a 4-5 game thing and if he's going to be a starter he will need a year where fans understand the ups and downs. Rodgers was 6-10 I think his 1st year and I believe he sat for 3 years.

I didn't see a bust out there last night. He has the tools, the smarts, and composure.

On a humorous note, everyone was throwing out poor man's Patrick Mahomes name predraft to describe Jordan Love. Mahomes indeed appeared to be a good comparison by their numbers last night, and as awful as he was before that last throw I was thinking Patrick was playing more like a poor man's Jordan Love. I have no love or hate for the KC Chiefs but Mahomes looked bad, really bad. Shocking to see someone with that kind of meteoric sucesss in such a slump.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Aggie84025

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 8th, 2021, 8:29 am

Taking a narrow, one game evaluation approach, Love is basically as good as Mahomes
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyAggiePTsockpuppet

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 8th, 2021, 8:39 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 7:52 am
hickaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 9:21 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

His miss on Adams wasn't even close, but yeah, he had a guy in his face. If he makes a few of those throws then they will stop blitzing him.

Late in the fourth quarter he threw to Cobb in the right corner in zero coverage. Not a horrible read as it was all man to man but as Aikman pointed out, the outside receiver's route, a slant, was the proper read because there was no one in the middle of the field.

He showed he as the arm, but it will come down to him making teams pay for blitzing. If he can, then he'll stick. If he can't, they'll move on to someone else.
You are spot on. He made an incorrect read or two down the stretch and the throws weren't there, but he was recognizing it I think. The play he threw the pick wasn't all on him either. The packers had designed a play to get a pick for Adams that didn't happen and the guy switching in coverage played perfect defense on a tough receiver. Those back shoulder fade attempts were a result of lack of reps with Adams too.

I saw enough to think he'll get it figured out. In college ball, teams struggled blitzing him particularly his sophomore year. It was teams like Wyoming and Boise that could get to him with 4 guys and thus afford to play cover 2 and cover 3 that were struggles. The Chiefs simply had a good game plan against a guy who had never seen real NFL defenses in those situations and he just needs a few games so it all slows down.

Its not like pretty much every young QB has gone through this with the exception of maybe Mahomes the last few years.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 8th, 2021, 8:39 am

:lol: :notworthy:
brownjeans wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 8:29 am
Taking a narrow, one game evaluation approach, Love is basically as good as Mahomes

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2021, 8:52 am

I didn't watch the whole game. I did like Love's play in the 4th quarter. He also moved out of the pocket well. I did notice that they tried to run several screens to neutralize the blitz, but the running back couldn't ever break free from the defender.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 8th, 2021, 10:11 am

They put JLoves mom up in the nosebleeds, why? Couldn’t the packers afford to buy some decent ticks for the starting QBs mom?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 8th, 2021, 10:14 am

Unfortunately there is a lot of clickbait going around today ("Disaster" is one I have seen a lot). But IMHO, while it was not a great debut, it was not an awful debut either. He definitely showed improvement as the game progressed, and if the defense had been able to get a stop in the last 4:30, he could have been in a position to win the game. If GB special teams had just had an average performance (NFL kickers average about an 80% success rate with FGs 40 yards and less), GB would have won 13-10 and there would be none of this hyperbole claiming that Jordan Love was a disaster.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » November 8th, 2021, 10:37 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 10:14 am
Unfortunately there is a lot of clickbait going around today ("Disaster" is one I have seen a lot). But IMHO, while it was not a great debut, it was not an awful debut either. He definitely showed improvement as the game progressed, and if the defense had been able to get a stop in the last 4:30, he could have been in a position to win the game. If GB special teams had just had an average performance (NFL kickers average about an 80% success rate with FGs 40 yards and less), GB would have won 13-10 and there would be none of this hyperbole claiming that Jordan Love was a disaster.
That's why I paid attention to LaFleuer's comments and Reid's comments after the game. LaFleur was proud of Love for sticking with it and took blame for not putting the team in good positions against the blitz. Reid mentioned that he liked Love's poise. All the media cares about is creating drama because of Aaron Rodgers. Not even Jesus Christ could live up to the standards the media is portraying yesterday and today.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 8th, 2021, 10:47 am

Where is the irritation over a kicker that is clearly in decline and has choked up several games for GB in the last few years? In fact Crosby has done this multiple times in his career. Fact is Love played well enough for them to be in the game, with a little help, they could have won and a lot of this isn't even a discussion.

And screw GB. Go Bears!

Go Aggies!

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » November 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm

UStateTim wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 10:37 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
That's why I paid attention to LaFleuer's comments and Reid's comments after the game. LaFleur was proud of Love for sticking with it and took blame for not putting the team in good positions against the blitz. Reid mentioned that he liked Love's poise. All the media cares about is creating drama because of Aaron Rodgers. Not even Jesus Christ could live up to the standards the media is portraying yesterday and today.
You don't know that.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 8th, 2021, 3:29 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm
UStateTim wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
You don't know that.
Well... If we're taking history as supporting evidence, they did kill Jesus.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » November 8th, 2021, 3:41 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
You don't know that.
Unfair comparison. Would he be playing football on a Sunday?

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 8th, 2021, 9:10 pm

stwinward wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 3:41 pm
sockpuppet wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
You don't know that.
Sunday would have been no problem, college games on Saturday however.....

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 8th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Stucki wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 9:10 pm
stwinward wrote:
sockpuppet wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
You don't know that.
Sunday would have been no problem, college games on Saturday however.....
He’d have been a pocket passer for sure.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 8th, 2021, 9:46 pm

stwinward wrote:
Not even Jesus Christ could live up to the standards the media is portraying yesterday and today[/b].
You don't know that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

This reminds me of a funny story. I knew a guy that would pull the cords for the coaches before they had cordless headsets and instead had the corded headsets connected to base in the middle of the sidelines, and someone would have to pull the cords so they wouldn't get tangled up and have people trip on them and make a mess. The guy would end up doing it for five staffs including Shelton, Weatherbie, John L. Smith, Arslanian, and one season of Dennehy. I asked him if the coaches were pretty bad about swearing, and he told me they were, and that John L. Smith's staff stuck out to him as being the worst about swearing.
I would share that story with other people, obviously back before we had our glory under GA 1.0 to be happy about, and refer to John L. Smith as the coach that beat Utah twice, while the other 4 staffs never could. Someone asked me "Does Jesus swear?" and I asked them "Has Jesus ever defeated the University of Utah as Utah State's head football coach?" and someone tried to tell me, even with where our program was at in the 2000's, that Jesus COULD have defeated Utah as our head coach, and even could have defeated Florida or Oklahoma(the two juggernauts at that time) as our head coach.

Locked Previous topicNext topic