Can we keep Blake?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Imakeitrain

Re: Can we keep Blake?

Post by Imakeitrain » November 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 4:06 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:I can’t f’n believe we passed on Aranda for Gary 2.0. I didn’t even know that was a serious option.

That’s my opinion on what should happen if Blake
leaves.
Are you saying Aranda will leave Baylor to come to USU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. I’m saying that we should take the best option and not take back the ex GF

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm

ManitobaAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 4:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 3:06 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 12:10 pm
I can’t f’n believe we passed on Aranda for Gary 2.0. I didn’t even know that was a serious option.

leaves.
That's a true story.
WOW!!! Can you imagine what love would have done with Aranda!
Hey now keep it PG

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2021, 4:19 pm

I think Blake is pretty genuine. He has spent a lot of time trying to convince some really good players that Utah State is the spot for them. If he up and bails after one season, it makes everything he has said bull$hit. I don't think that's the type of dude he is. I think he stays and stays longer than most of you expect him to.
Last edited by aggies22 on November 15th, 2021, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
GreenAgosuaggiePIGSKINAGGIEBLUERUFiOFloridaAggie13

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » November 14th, 2021, 4:39 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 12:41 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
I can’t f’n believe we passed on Aranda for Gary 2.0. I didn’t even know that was a serious option.

leaves.
It wasn’t, I’m not buying that rumor one bit. There was no way he was giving up the kind of money he was making as an assistant coach to be a head coach at USU, no one is that stupid.
Except Gus Mahlzan, the Broyles award winner, from the BCS champions Auburn.

https://www.al.com/sports/2011/12/gus_m ... 20hiring.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm

Jimmy Lake was just fired at Washington. Another school that may take a look at Anderson

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2021, 5:28 pm

It might be a benefit to have him leave before the assistants leave - the assistants we would consider promoting to HC.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 14th, 2021, 5:42 pm

I think we can keep coach Anderson for 3 to 5 years. Once he's gone, I trust John Hartwell to make another great pick for a head coach. This time, John will have some wind at his back, with a consistently winning program, hopefully with a conference championship and two or three division championships during coach Anderson's tenure, and a team full of some of the highest ranked recruits the program has ever had.

For me, the bigger question is John Hartwell. I hope he is here to take us through the next football HC transition. John has been here six years, since 2015. According to Wikipedia, he's about 56 years old. If he's going to move on to greener pastures, it will probably be in the next year or two. I hope John is going to pull a Stew, and stay here for the long term. Look at what he's built here. Football and basketball are finishing consistently in the top three in the conference. The minor sports are thriving. Look at what Soccer, Volleyball, Cross Country, and Women's Basketball are doing.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
travelingagg

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 14th, 2021, 6:32 pm

1. I don't think any P5 would look at it as "taking a chance" on BA since he has a big body of work before this season but I also think that is why they would look elsewhere first. He's not the young up-and-comer or hot new name in coaching. He a fairly known commodity at this point. If he shows he can maintain this kind of success over 3 seasons or so and build something at this level with these type resources then P5s will come calling.

2. Remember that Wells is his good friend and pointed him in our direction. Wells repeatedly expressed how much he and his family love Logan and Blake can see for himself how life goes for many of the coaches that make the move to P5. If he values the $$, then he'll chase it but I think BA has other things that are important to him too. There is something to be said for living a very comfortable life in Logan, near outdoor activities of all kind, and having little to no pressure in your position compared to every P5 and most G5s.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2021, 7:00 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Jimmy Lake was just fired at Washington. Another school that may take a look at Anderson
They want someone that can recruit the Pacific Northwest. That's not anywhere near Blake's wheelhouse.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 14th, 2021, 8:09 pm

I’m in the camp that wants to keep Blake long term, ie a Stew like tenure. That only happens in this day and age unless you pay him like Bozo paid Chris Peterson for the majority of his contract.

I have zero insider info, you want some ask those who are in the know. I see CFB HC jobs like musical chairs, he who has $$ gets to keep and those without lose their HC. I’m not saying I think Blake will bail for a low tier P5 school.

Think about it, what is he going to say if an LSU, USC, Florida or Texas comes calling offering a $5-10M contract guaranteed. He would be an idiot not to take it. I think this is very real if he wins MTN division, MW Champ game and Bowl game with the kind of production that happened last night.

You want to keep Blake you need to get all your family excited and support USU athletics permanently.

I wish there was a team of PR marketing out selling the team. Get Blake on some ESPN CBS, Colin Cowherd, or a Jim Rome sports shows figure that do interviews.

There should be a major Utah State PR horn tooting. And a fundraising team hitting up all of the alumni, our sports fund needs some serious support.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 14th, 2021, 8:12 pm

We are the 20% that are diehard Aggie fans. Its the other 80% out there that can become the next Jim Laub.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » November 14th, 2021, 8:26 pm

There is literally nothing we can do financially to keep a Coach from a P5 program. We just need to be competitive to get the best G5 coaches around.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » November 14th, 2021, 10:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

leaves.
That's a true story.
I don't know how much you can comment on this publicly. But are you saying he really wanted the job? Or was he just looking for more money or some other concession from LSU? It seems strange that he would have taken that big of a pay cut to come to USU especially since his name was already getting mentioned for P5 jobs. Which makes me think that this is one of those cases where he applied for another job with the intent of either getting a pay raise at his current job or convincing a P5 school with an opening that they needed to call his number now or lose him.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » November 14th, 2021, 10:45 pm

Anybody know what the buyout situation looks like with Blake? Craig's was raised before he left for Utah, right? I'm hoping John was able set us up well in the event of a Coach A exit.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 14th, 2021, 11:08 pm

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 23.06.02.png

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » November 15th, 2021, 7:29 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 10:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

leaves.
That's a true story.
I don't know how much you can comment on this publicly. But are you saying he really wanted the job? Or was he just looking for more money or some other concession from LSU? It seems strange that he would have taken that big of a pay cut to come to USU especially since his name was already getting mentioned for P5 jobs. Which makes me think that this is one of those cases where he applied for another job with the intent of either getting a pay raise at his current job or convincing a P5 school with an opening that they needed to call his number now or lose him.
I don't know why anyone thinks it is that strange.

There was a whole thread about this with examples of coordinators that had done the same thing, the most similar being Gus Mahlzan leaving Auburn after winning the National Title to go to Arkansas State. He was the top offensive coordinator in the country and ended up making about $500,000 less to make the move.

There are only so many FCS head coaching positions, and coaches only have so many shots at moving into them. When they pass on them, they may never get another shot.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 15th, 2021, 7:34 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 11:08 pm
Blake Anderson's Contract details

https://businessofcollegesports.com/coa ... tain-west/
Looks like we’d get a REALLY healthy buyout if he were to leave this year.

Maybe enough to spring for some new uniforms. :joking:

Unless the buyout is negotiated in the contract to be something different than the amount remaining on the contract, it’s hard to envision a P5 school dropping $4 million + on a buyout for a coach with a one year track record at USU that is coming off a losing season at Arkansas State.

I’ve been surprised before, but at least we’d get a fat check if the unthinkable happened.

The only jobs I’m really worried about are TCU and Baylor (if it opens). Anderson would be a fantastic fit at both schools.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 15th, 2021, 7:56 am

I've learned that USU is always going to have to worry about losing a good coach. I've decided that I will be fine with that. I don't have the big bucks to help pay more. Coaches are going to leave for more money. I would rather they leave having great success than failure. A coach leaving usually means that you have a very good year. I'm just going to keep giving what I can to the Merlin Olsen fund. That helps us keep coaches.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 4):
Aggie19BustaMcNuttJSHarveyLoveMyAggies

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » November 15th, 2021, 8:18 am

NVAggie wrote:I've learned that USU is always going to have to worry about losing a good coach. I've decided that I will be fine with that. I don't have the big bucks to help pay more. Coaches are going to leave for more money. I would rather they leave having great success than failure. A coach leaving usually means that you have a very good year. I'm just going to keep giving what I can to the Merlin Olsen fund. That helps us keep coaches.
This is what I've come to grips with as well. I think the first one that shocked /stung me was Gary leaving the first time. It didn't seem like we'd find a way to replicate the success he had.

Yet, after the coaching changes in football and basketball it has been easier to see that change isn't the end. The fact that other teams are looking at our coaches is a good thing. It must mean we're winning, and I'd rather have that, than feel like we're stuck with a mediocre coach.

Imagine if in your career there was a position at a similar company that had a history of people being successful and then getting recognized for better jobs after a few years. I think most people would be willing to take a try at it.

Why is it that hard to believe Aranda would be willing to coach at USU? Somewhere he's familiar with, and knows that games can be won here.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 15th, 2021, 8:46 am

Blake is not going to leave USU for a "Blue Blood" FBS program. He is a guy in his 50s, with a solid and winning body of work overall in the G5, but nothing earth shattering (.602 winning percentage over eight seasons at G5 schools). He hasn't been a "BCS Buster" or taken a team to an NY6 bowl. He is not going to be a flashy hire that the bigger programs want and need to satisfy their fan base. If he was in his late 30s or early 40s, and USU were his first head coaching gig, the phone would already be ringing off the hook and it would be reasonable to think he might not even finish the year here. We may lose him in a few years, but if we do, it will most likely be to a mid to lower tier P5 program, like an Iowa State or Indiana type. We aren't going to lose him to a place like Wisconsin.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025apo

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 15th, 2021, 8:55 am

I hope we hear about a contract extension for BA soon...if for no other reason than it likely keeps the buyout a bit higher for if/when BA gets a big money offer.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 15th, 2021, 8:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 4:19 pm
I think Blake is pretty genuine. He has spent a lot of time trying to convince some really good players that Utah State is the spot for them. If he up and bails after one season, it makes everything he has said bull$hit. I don't think that's the type of dude he is. I think he stays and stays longer than most of you expect him to.
I hope this is the case.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 15th, 2021, 9:01 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 8:55 am
I hope we hear about a contract extension for BA soon...if for no other reason than it likely keeps the buyout a bit higher for if/when BA gets a big money offer.
It is my personal opinion that any time a coach wins 8+ games at Utah State he should, at a minimum, get a one-year extension to his contract. More to the point, I think Blake should receive at least one extra year with a pay bump.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 15th, 2021, 9:03 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 9:01 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
It is my personal opinion that any time a coach wins 8+ games at Utah State he should, at a minimum, get a one-year extension to his contract. More to the point, I think Blake should receive at least one extra year with a pay bump.
Agreed.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » November 15th, 2021, 9:10 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 9:01 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I love this idea, and would expand on it with a 2 year extension for double digit wins or conference championship, and 3-5 years for ny6 (or playoff if it expands).

Aggies All the Way!

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 15th, 2021, 9:12 am

At least his wife loves it here! #ThisIsHome
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » November 15th, 2021, 9:47 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 9:12 am

That definitely bodes well.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 15th, 2021, 9:59 am

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2021, 10:19 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 7:56 am
I've learned that USU is always going to have to worry about losing a good coach. I've decided that I will be fine with that. I don't have the big bucks to help pay more. Coaches are going to leave for more money. I would rather they leave having great success than failure. A coach leaving usually means that you have a very good year. I'm just going to keep giving what I can to the Merlin Olsen fund. That helps us keep coaches.
These are my sentiments as well. If we are successful we will lose coaches. It is better to lose coaches to success rather than having to fire them due to poor performance like Duryea and GA. I have confidence in Hartwell to hire good replacements if necessary.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2021, 10:22 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 9:47 am
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 9:12 am

That definitely bodes well.
Not to be a downer or cynic, but most all coaches and their wives are going to say those things. We kept hearing earlier this year that Coach Smith's wife was in love with Cache Valley and we all saw how that turned out.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2021, 10:25 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 9:59 am
I would not be surprised if they reach out to Sitake and take a hard look at him. He would do a good job up there.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2021, 10:28 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 10:25 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I would not be surprised if they reach out to Sitake and take a hard look at him. He would do a good job up there.
Looks like some folks up there think so too...

Go Aggies!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 15th, 2021, 10:35 am

Aggie19 wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 10:28 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Kalani being familiar with the PAC-12 and the Pacific Northwest from his Oregon State day will help him if he's interested. The question is, how much does he like being more important to that fanbase than anyone here on earth? Does he one day tire of the unrealistic expectations like Bronco did?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 15th, 2021, 10:54 am

I'll take this situation any day and twice on Sunday compared to what CSU is dealing with in "the dud."

They are trying to find the money to buy out that contract, and we would be looking at a buyout.

To some other points, a contract extension with a stiffer buyout will be in order here quickly.

Worst case scenario is he starts interviewing elsewhere before the end of the season and forgets who's paying his bills like Wells did in 2018. The almost loss at CSU and then the loss at BSU would have been avoided if Wells was focused on finishing the year.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2021, 10:55 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 10:35 am
Aggie19 wrote:
November 15th, 2021, 10:28 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Kalani being familiar with the PAC-12 and the Pacific Northwest from his Oregon State day will help him if he's interested. The question is, how much does he like being more important to that fanbase than anyone here on earth? Does he one day tire of the unrealistic expectations like Bronco did?
That's a great question. I think those unrealistic expectations are about to get even higher with their new conference. Seems in the twitter-verse the y fans think he'll stay and can't fathom why he'd go since they're now in the P5. So un-self aware, blows me away. Anyway, how about them Aggies!
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic