Do We Have an (Unlikely) Outside Shot at NY6 Bowl?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mr. Sneelock

Do We Have an (Unlikely) Outside Shot at NY6 Bowl?

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 19th, 2021, 9:58 am

Maybe you all already know this, but it just occurred to me today.

My understanding is that the highest ranked G5 conference champion gets an automatic invite to a NY6 bowl. What I don't know is how that works if a G5 conference champion makes the actual 4 team CFP. If Cincinnati wins out and makes the CFP, does that count as the G5 auto-bid, or is the G5 auto-bid apart from the CFP?

If Cincinnati does not take the G5 auto-bid to the NY6, then we have an outside shot.

We are currently getting votes in both polls, though not yet ranked in the CFP poll. If we beat Wyoming and NM, we will be in the conference title game, probably against SDSU. There is also a pretty good chance that we will crack the top 25 of the CFP rankings. If we then beat SDSU, we would probably be the highest ranked G5 conference champion.

If Cincinnati can crack the top 4 and reach the CFP while winning their conference, then Houston would not be a conference champion and would be ineligible - right?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

thegreendalegelf

Re: Do We Have an (Unlikely) Outside Shot at NY6 Bowl?

Post by thegreendalegelf » November 19th, 2021, 10:02 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 9:58 am

My understanding is that the highest ranked G5 conference champion gets an automatic invite to a NY6 bowl. What I don't know is how that works if a G5 conference champion makes the actual 4 team CFP. If Cincinnati wins out and makes the CFP, does that count as the G5 auto-bid, or is the G5 auto-bid apart from the CFP?

If Cincinnati does not take the G5 auto-bid to the NY6, then we have an outside shot.

We are currently getting votes in both polls, though not yet ranked in the CFP poll. If we beat Wyoming and NM, we will be in the conference title game, probably against SDSU. There is also a pretty good chance that we will crack the top 25 of the CFP rankings. If we then beat SDSU, we would probably be the highest ranked G5 conference champion.

If Cincinnati can crack the top 4 and reach the CFP while winning their conference, then Houston would not be a conference champion and would be ineligible.
So if Cincinnati makes the playoff, there is no G5 NY6 spot. There would just be an extra at-large spot. Somebody pointed out the legal wording a while ago and I am not going to dig for it but that's the rule.

Our best shot at getting the G5 NY6 spot is:
1) Win out including the Championship Game (obviously)
2) SDSU wins up until the Championship Game
3) Houston loses one before the Conference Championship
4) Houston beats Cincinnati in the AAC championship game.

If all that happens, we are maybe in. I think #3 is the sticky point. They have a 5-5 Memphis team and UCONN left on their schedule before the conference championship game. So this week vs Memphis is really the only risk.
Last edited by thegreendalegelf on November 19th, 2021, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » November 19th, 2021, 10:22 am

Doesn't seem all that likely, but never say never...

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 19th, 2021, 10:30 am

A lot and I mean a LOT of moving parts to make this happen, there would have to be a bunch of upsets this weekend. Is it possible? :noidea:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 19th, 2021, 10:45 am

It's about time this gif made an appearance in this thread:

These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 19th, 2021, 10:55 am

No
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
gomretat

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 19th, 2021, 11:02 am

I made a thread about this already with a rooting guide for you.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 19th, 2021, 11:20 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 11:02 am
I made a thread about this already with a rooting guide for you.
Link your thread please, too lazy to look :joking: actually not joking, it's true.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 19th, 2021, 11:39 am

No, we don't. The odds of everything aligning for this to happen are virtually 0. Literally.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on November 19th, 2021, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 19th, 2021, 11:44 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 10:02 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

If Cincinnati can crack the top 4 and reach the CFP while winning their conference, then Houston would not be a conference champion and would be ineligible.
So if Cincinnati makes the playoff, there is no G5 NY6 spot. There would just be an extra at-large spot. Somebody pointed out the legal wording a while ago and I am not going to dig for it but that's the rule.

If all that happens, we are maybe in. I think #3 is the sticky point. They have a 5-5 Memphis team and UCONN left on their schedule before the conference championship game. So this week vs Memphis is really the only risk.
A 2 loss AAC champ with a win over Cincinnati would get in over USU (this basically eliminates USU. If someone other than Cincinnati wins that conference they'll only have 2 losses at most).

UTSA is undefeated and would get in over USU as conference champ, likely even with 1 loss.

A 1 loss Sun Belt champ Louisiana would get in over USU.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 19th, 2021, 11:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 11:44 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

A 2 loss AAC champ with a win over Cincinnati would get in over USU (this basically eliminates USU. If someone other than Cincinnati wins that conference they'll only have 2 losses at most).

UTSA is undefeated and would get in over USU as conference champ, likely even with 1 loss.

I wouldn't mind seeing us in a bowl game vs an undefeated UTSA, we would do to them what we did to that undefeated Northern Illinois team back in 2013. But hopefully we'll get a P5 opponent or a decent AAC team, either would be good.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » November 19th, 2021, 11:57 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

I totally forgot about UTSA. I don't think they get in over us with 1 loss. The Committee is barely giving them any respect. They had a 2 loss Fresno State above them in the initial rankings. I think if we win out and they have 1 loss, we are over them. If they win out, they are in.

Until Louisiana gets respect from the committee by being ranked, I am not sure if they will get in over us.

Forrest Dupre
Has thanked: 0

Post by Forrest Dupre » November 19th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Excellent summary. Basically, the winner of the American Athletic Conference Championship game between Cincinnati and Houston will get the G5 bid.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 19th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 10:55 am
No
Nailed it

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm

While I understand it is not going to happen, how amazing is it that we can even speculate the possibility of it happening after last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 19th, 2021, 12:31 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm
While I understand it is not going to happen, how amazing is it that we can even speculate the possibility of it happening after last year?

This time last year were were in utter despair as fans. Look at us today! Who could have thunk it? :rock: :utah: :state:

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 19th, 2021, 12:51 pm

My lowest point (not most heartbroken) of my 5 decade span of being an Aggie fan.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
ViAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 19th, 2021, 6:08 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing us in a bowl game vs an undefeated UTSA, we would do to them what we did to that undefeated Northern Illinois team back in 2013. But hopefully we'll get a P5 opponent or a decent AAC team, either would be good.
They were 12-1 but I do think we would beat utsa

Locked Previous topicNext topic