The PAC 12 and MWC got screwed by CFP

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

The PAC 12 and MWC got screwed by CFP

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 9:05 am

UCLA streamrolled LSU.
Oregon beat Ohio State in Ohio.
CFP can't respect the fact that the PAC 12, MWC, and BYU were truly good this year and beat each other. A total miss on marketing the MWC title game by not having the Aggies in the top 25. Utah, San Diego State, BYU, Oregon, us, and Fresno State all deserved to be ranked better.

GeoAg

Re: The PAC 12 and MWC got screwed by CFP

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2021, 9:17 am

I would agree with you more about us if we didn't get steamrolled by Wyoming and completely shut down by a pedestrian Boise team. Not sure about the other teams on your list, but I don't think the Ags got the shaft in not being ranked at this point.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyNAggsty Butlerapo

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 9:20 am

GeoAg wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 9:17 am
I would agree with you more about us if we didn't get steamrolled by Wyoming and completely shut down by a pedestrian Boise team. Not sure about the other teams on your list, but I don't think the Ags got the shaft in not being ranked at this point.
Look at the list of the top 25, it gets laughable at best. Miss State (they were ranked last week) lost to freaking Memphis, so #25 Texas A&M lost to LSU and Miss State is #25. ULL is #24. Houston has played the weakest schedule in all of college football is #21. #18 NC State did what to become #18.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 9:30 am

If we played Cincy's schedule, we could have been undefeated right now. Keep in mind, the top teams that they faced had their starting QB go down with injuries when they faced them.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 1st, 2021, 9:38 am

SLB wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 9:30 am
If we played Cincy's schedule, we could have been undefeated right now. Keep in mind, the top teams that they faced had their starting QB go down with injuries when they faced them.
You think we beat Notre Dame, away? Sheeeesh man, you got some Aggies goggles on for that.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 1st, 2021, 10:41 am

splintorb wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 9:38 am
SLB wrote:
You think we beat Notre Dame, away? Sheeeesh man, you got some Aggies goggles on for that.
Yeah! Cinci didn't play anyone as good as Wyoming!
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
apo

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 1st, 2021, 10:42 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 10:41 am
splintorb wrote:
SLB wrote:
Yeah! Cinci didn't play anyone as good as Wyoming!
I bet Wyo could beat Cinci in Cinci, not in Laramie though :lol: :sarcasm:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 1st, 2021, 11:04 am

SLB wrote:
Which one of you permanently sewed SLB’s Aggie blue goggles to his head?

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 11:05 am

splintorb wrote:
SLB wrote:
ND had their QB go down, and ND is not that good. ND had a very weak schedule too.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 1st, 2021, 11:10 am

Maybe the CFP committee agrees with you on this. :noidea:

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 11:14 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 11:10 am
Maybe the CFP committee agrees with you on this. :noidea:

They changed their QB, and it changed Utah from being really bad to actually a good team. They would have been a 1-win team with that QB who transfer out.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2021, 11:28 am

SLB wrote:
I love your enthusiasm, but you are way out over your skis here.

Cincy's SOS ain't great at 49. Ours is 102.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... h-by-other

Cincy would also be unbeaten with out schedule. We would not be with theirs, but I would love the opportunity

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 11:37 am

GeoAg wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 11:28 am
SLB wrote:

Cincy would also be unbeaten with out schedule. We would not be with theirs, but I would love the opportunity
Those 2-win teams and Murray State are tough. Always facing the back-up QB of the top opposing teams are impossible to beat. Top AAC schools are always inflated because they are always preseason ranked way too high then face the teams like Indiana, Texas Tech, TCU then some weak MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA/UConn schools and for safe measure a low-grade FCS team, and it is sad that the AAC plays the system perfect while the MWC top teams faces Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma State, Utah, BYU, Washington State, Kansas State, and etc. The weakest AAC teams face the highest ranked teams to keep them looking good.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 11:49 am

To the people who have not seen the Cincy schedule
South Florida 2-10
Indiana 2-10
Tulane 2-10
Temple 3-9
Navy 3-8
Murray State FCS 6-5
Tulsa 6-6
East Carolina 7-5
UCF without their QB 8-4
SMU 8-4
ND (had QB issues and injuries during that game) 11-1 (ND has 0 wins against currently ranked teams)

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 1st, 2021, 12:41 pm

SLB wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 11:37 am
GeoAg wrote:
SLB wrote:

Those 2-win teams and Murray State are tough. Always facing the back-up QB of the top opposing teams are impossible to beat. Top AAC schools are always inflated because they are always preseason ranked way too high then face the teams like Indiana, Texas Tech, TCU then some weak MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA/UConn schools and for safe measure a low-grade FCS team, and it is sad that the AAC plays the system perfect while the MWC top teams faces Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma State, Utah, BYU, Washington State, Kansas State, and etc. The weakest AAC teams face the highest ranked teams to keep them looking good.
I have been arguing for this type of scheduling approach for over two decades on USU message boards. USU should not be going off and playing the LSUs, Wisconsins, Alabamas, and USCs of the world. If we go up against P5 schools, it should be the likes of Washington State (see what happened this year...), Oregon State, Kansas, and Indiana, the schools that are typically towards the bottom of the P5 conferences. The other OOC games need to be against MAC and CUSA type of schools. If you go back and look at BYU's OOC schedules from the early 1970s until 1980, when they were building their national reputation, outside of the WAC, they had very few high profile blue blood opponents. They were always lower level programs from what would now be called power conferences, or PCAA or MAC type teams. Look at their 1980 OOC schedule, a season in which they went 12-1, their highest profile opponent was a 2-9 Wisconsin team. The rest of their OOC schedule that year was Long Beach State, Utah State, North Texas, and UNLV. Boise did the same thing when moved up to 1-A/FBS in 1996. For the first five years they play 2 and sometimes even 3 1-AA/FCS opponents in a year. By their seventh year in 1-A/FBS, they went 12-1 with a non-WAC schedule against Idaho, Arkansas (their lone loss), Wyoming, and Utah State.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 1st, 2021, 12:51 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 12:41 pm
SLB wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
SLB wrote:

I have been arguing for this type of scheduling approach for over two decades on USU message boards. USU should not be going off and playing the LSUs, Wisconsins, Alabamas, and USCs of the world. If we go up against P5 schools, it should be the likes of Washington State (see what happened this year...), Oregon State, Kansas, and Indiana, the schools that are typically towards the bottom of the P5 conferences. The other OOC games need to be against MAC and CUSA type of schools. If you go back and look at BYU's OOC schedules from the early 1970s until 1980, when they were building their national reputation, outside of the WAC, they had very few high profile blue blood opponents. They were always lower level programs from what would now be called power conferences, or PCAA or MAC type teams. Look at their 1980 OOC schedule, a season in which they went 12-1, their highest profile opponent was a 2-9 Wisconsin team. The rest of their OOC schedule that year was Long Beach State, Utah State, North Texas, and UNLV. Boise did the same thing when moved up to 1-A/FBS in 1996. For the first five years they play 2 and sometimes even 3 1-AA/FCS opponents in a year. By their seventh year in 1-A/FBS, they went 12-1 with a non-WAC schedule against Idaho, Arkansas (their lone loss), Wyoming, and Utah State.
The AAC does this which is why they are beating the MWC in the rankings. Imagine if we played Indiana instead of BYU, we would be in the top 25 with a shot at the Fiesta Bowl.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 1st, 2021, 1:07 pm

SLB wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 12:51 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 12:41 pm
SLB wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
SLB wrote:

The AAC does this which is why they are beating the MWC in the rankings. Imagine if we played Indiana instead of BYU, we would be in the top 25 with a shot at the Fiesta Bowl.
Exactly! If we played MAC or similar schools instead of two money games each season between 1983 and 1992, and split those games each year, USU would have had five winning seasons during that period, instead of 10 straight losing seasons. The 1993 Las Vegas Bowl year would have been the fourth straight winning season, instead of the first in more than a decade.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 7:13 am

The need for money at Utah State historically trumps the need for wins as has been demonstrated over the decades. My solution, would be to seriously work the I 15 corridor, especially the AGGIE base northward from Salt Lake County to the Idaho border. Seems our athletic department lacks the vision, patience and insight to do just that.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 7:26 am

splintorb wrote:
Toledo played Notre Dame away and only lost by 3. Then Toledo played Colorado State at home and lost by 14.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 3rd, 2021, 7:46 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 7:13 am
The need for money at Utah State historically trumps the need for wins as has been demonstrated over the decades. My solution, would be to seriously work the I 15 corridor, especially the AGGIE base northward from Salt Lake County to the Idaho border. Seems our athletic department lacks the vision, patience and insight to do just that.
I can say from my personal experience, for the first time in 20 years, they are trying.
And they got me.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Aggie19

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 8:43 am

Good that you are now involved my AGGIE friend, and welcome to the supporting boosters group. I had to contact the school by sending a check to the Athletic Department to generate any visibility to that department. One in a row is a small sample size though. Overall Historical context would be much more enlightening. The Wasatch Front effort needs serious focused and measured development with a real time institutional commitment for any chance at success to develop Wasatch Front profile generation for Utah State University.

I

cbingham

Post by cbingham » December 3rd, 2021, 9:52 am

THe CFP playoff also values conference and program consistency. Pac 12 would be better respected if they were taking it to other conferences year after year but they've largely sucked for the past 5 years. Win against non-conf this year... win 80% of bowl games and do it again next year and people will start to believe. Same for Cincy, they've been decent for 2-3 years in a row.

Locked Previous topicNext topic