Darius Muasau in Portal

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Darius Muasau in Portal

Post by Aggie19 » December 28th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Two time 1st Team MWC LB Darius Muasau is in the portal. Do we still need LB help? Its crazy to see what's happened to Wyo, Nevada and Hawaii this year in the transfer portal.

Go Aggies!

Elkaggie

Re: Darius Muasau in Portal

Post by Elkaggie » December 28th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Yes, I think so. We are really gonna miss Rice and I’m not sure we have anyone ready to step in. I know some say AJ but I’m not sure he has the speed to cover the field like Rice.

Am I wrong ‘22?

SLB

Post by SLB » December 28th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 28th, 2021, 5:29 pm
Yes, I think so. We are really gonna miss Rice and I’m not sure we have anyone ready to step in. I know some say AJ but I’m not sure he has the speed to cover the field like Rice.

Am I wrong ‘22?
We added transfers from Washington and Arkansas State to help with that.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 28th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Who we get from Arky state? I must have missed that.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 28th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 28th, 2021, 4:59 pm
Two time 1st Team MWC LB Darius Muasau is in the portal. Do we still need LB help? Its crazy to see what's happened to Wyo, Nevada and Hawaii this year in the transfer portal.

I would be absolutely shocked if we land any of these high profile mwc guys. I think they’re leaving to go be on the big stage and hopefully get good NIL deals.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 28th, 2021, 5:47 pm
https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... ny-switzer
https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/1 ... class.aspx
ANTHONY SWITZER • LB • 6-0 • 205 • JR • TR • Marion, Arkansas (Marion HS/Arkansas State)
Previous School: Spent three seasons (2019-21) at Arkansas State, appearing in 24 games with 15 starts... Had 92 total tackles, which included 5.0 tackles for loss, to go along with four pass breakups, three forced fumbles and one interception… Played in eight games with seven starts as a sophomore in 2021... Finished the season with 39 tackles, including one tackle for loss… Also had two pass breakups, one quarterback hurry and a forced fumble… Had a season-high eight tackles against Memphis and six stops against Coastal Carolina... Finished the 2020 season with 30 tackles, a team-high two forced fumbles, one interception and two pass breakups… Recorded at least one tackle in every game and had multiple stops in six outings… Had a season-high nine tackles against Coastal Carolina... Also had an interception and forced fumble against the Chanticleers... Added six tackles against Georgia State and five stops against Kansas State... Tallied three tackles, a forced fumble and a pass breakup against Central Arkansas... Posted 23 tackles and 3.0 tackles for loss as a true freshman in 2019… Fifteen of his 23 tackles came in the last two regular-season games... Had a season-high eight tackles against Georgia Southern, to go along with seven tackles against South Alabama and six stops against Texas State... Posted a season-high 2.0 tackles for loss against TSU... Tallied at least one tackle in five games and had at least six stops in three contests... Was a member of the Arkansas State Athletic Director's Honor Roll in 2019 and 2020.
High School: Ranked the No. 47 player in Arkansas by Rivals.com… Named Arkansas Activities Association (AAA) Class 6A All-State as a senior in 2018 at Marion (Arkansas) High School, as he registered 51 total tackles, including 25 solo, and an interception... Also competed in basketball and track & field.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
ElkaggieAggieArmy

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 28th, 2021, 6:03 pm

Awesome. Thanks

SLB

Post by SLB » January 1st, 2022, 10:51 pm

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 1st, 2022, 11:25 pm

Going from the MW down to the PAC10? Maybe he was being recruited over at Hawaii and wanted to keep some playing time in a lesser conference?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsessionViAggieAggiesForever

Eutaw St. Aggie

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » January 1st, 2022, 11:31 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 1st, 2022, 11:25 pm
Going from the MW down to the PAC10? Maybe he was being recruited over at Hawaii and wanted to keep some playing time in a lesser conference?
Not everyone can't hold up in the pressure cooker that is the MWC. :noidea:
These users thanked the author CanuckAggie for the post:
ViAggie

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » January 1st, 2022, 11:53 pm

Any chance we reoffer this kid? LDS, from Indiana but it looks like he struggled with injury most of his time at ND.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 12:08 pm

SLB wrote:
December 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 28th, 2021, 5:47 pm
https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... ny-switzer
https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/1 ... class.aspx
ANTHONY SWITZER • LB • 6-0 • 205 • JR • TR • Marion, Arkansas (Marion HS/Arkansas State)
Previous School: Spent three seasons (2019-21) at Arkansas State, appearing in 24 games with 15 starts... Had 92 total tackles, which included 5.0 tackles for loss, to go along with four pass breakups, three forced fumbles and one interception… Played in eight games with seven starts as a sophomore in 2021... Finished the season with 39 tackles, including one tackle for loss… Also had two pass breakups, one quarterback hurry and a forced fumble… Had a season-high eight tackles against Memphis and six stops against Coastal Carolina... Finished the 2020 season with 30 tackles, a team-high two forced fumbles, one interception and two pass breakups… Recorded at least one tackle in every game and had multiple stops in six outings… Had a season-high nine tackles against Coastal Carolina... Also had an interception and forced fumble against the Chanticleers... Added six tackles against Georgia State and five stops against Kansas State... Tallied three tackles, a forced fumble and a pass breakup against Central Arkansas... Posted 23 tackles and 3.0 tackles for loss as a true freshman in 2019… Fifteen of his 23 tackles came in the last two regular-season games... Had a season-high eight tackles against Georgia Southern, to go along with seven tackles against South Alabama and six stops against Texas State... Posted a season-high 2.0 tackles for loss against TSU... Tallied at least one tackle in five games and had at least six stops in three contests... Was a member of the Arkansas State Athletic Director's Honor Roll in 2019 and 2020.
High School: Ranked the No. 47 player in Arkansas by Rivals.com… Named Arkansas Activities Association (AAA) Class 6A All-State as a senior in 2018 at Marion (Arkansas) High School, as he registered 51 total tackles, including 25 solo, and an interception... Also competed in basketball and track & field.
Anthony Switzer was brought in to compete with AJ Carter at the Stryker spot.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 12:11 pm

Elkaggie wrote:

Am I wrong ‘22?
I think AJ COULD prove to be solid replacement for Justin Rice. BUT make no mistake about it, Justin Rice is going to be hard to replace regardless of who the task falls to. I think AJ is more mobile and will have better coverage skills than MJ Tafisi. I anticipate AJ taking Justin's spot and MJ taking the spot that AJ and Kevin Meitzenheimer platooned at. Keep in mind AJ has only been playing linebacker for 2 1/2 to 3 years. He was a defensive end in high school.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 4th, 2022, 1:53 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 12:11 pm
Elkaggie wrote:

Am I wrong ‘22?
I think AJ COULD prove to be solid replacement for Justin Rice. BUT make no mistake about it, Justin Rice is going to be hard to replace regardless of who the task falls to. I think AJ is more mobile and will have better coverage skills than MJ Tafisi. I anticipate AJ taking Justin's spot and MJ taking the spot that AJ and Kevin Meitzenheimer platooned at. Keep in mind AJ has only been playing linebacker for 2 1/2 to 3 years. He was a defensive end in high school.
Vongphachanh will tear it up next year as the Alpha dog. At the other ILB spot, I agree MJ Tafisi likely starts but I also like the aggression I saw (albeit in limited action) from Kina Maile, interested to see how he develops.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 1:53 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Am I wrong ‘22?
Vongphachanh will tear it up next year as the Alpha dog. At the other ILB spot, I agree MJ Tafisi likely starts but I also like the aggression I saw (albeit in limited action) from Kina Maile, interested to see how he develops.
I really like what I have seen from K. Maile too. He was great in limited action last year and again this past season in the few opportunities he got. I don't think we can go wrong with him on the field.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 4th, 2022, 2:15 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Am I wrong ‘22?
I really like what I have seen from K. Maile too. He was great in limited action last year and again this past season in the few opportunities he got. I don't think we can go wrong with him on the field.
He seems to have bulked up too.
Last edited by Elkaggie on January 4th, 2022, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 4th, 2022, 2:30 pm

Aggies22, I love Carter as a stryker, but he's too light to play Rice's spot. He would be quick in coverage but Rice was essentially our "middle linebacker" and that guy needs to be able to hold up at the point of attack. Rice was 230-235, and Ajani is 185-190. Not inside linebacker material, unless you're playing back in the old Big West days.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 4th, 2022, 2:34 pm

AggiesForever wrote:Aggies22, I love Carter as a stryker, but he's too light to play Rice's spot. He would be quick in coverage but Rice was essentially our "middle linebacker" and that guy needs to be able to hold up at the point of attack. Rice was 230-235, and Ajani is 185-190. Not inside linebacker material, unless you're playing back in the old Big West days.
I think when 22 was referring to AJ he was talking about AJ Vongphachanh not Ajani Carter.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 3:18 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Aggies22, I love Carter as a stryker, but he's too light to play Rice's spot. He would be quick in coverage but Rice was essentially our "middle linebacker" and that guy needs to be able to hold up at the point of attack. Rice was 230-235, and Ajani is 185-190. Not inside linebacker material, unless you're playing back in the old Big West days.
Stryker was Cash Gilliams spot. AJ Carter will compete for that spot with Anthony Switzer. AJ VONGPHACHANH will have the opportunity to fill the shoes of Justin Rice at INSIDE linebacker.
Last edited by aggies22 on January 4th, 2022, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 4th, 2022, 3:23 pm

How are we looking as far as team speed next year? One thing the broadcasters from both the MW Championship and the Bowl games noted was how fast and athletic the defense was and the problems it created for the O-lines of SDSU and OSU, which were both much bigger than our guys. Losing Heninger and Vaughns is huge. Rice was cerebral, but not the fastest linebacker - he just knew where to be and could get there fast because he knew where the play was going. Are we going to maintain the speed advantage at the first two levels on defense?

Eutaw St. Aggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 4th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 3:23 pm
How are we looking as far as team speed next year? One thing the broadcasters from both the MW Championship and the Bowl games noted was how fast and athletic the defense was and the problems it created for the O-lines of SDSU and OSU, which were both much bigger than our guys. Losing Heninger and Vaughns is huge. Rice was cerebral, but not the fastest linebacker - he just knew where to be and could get there fast because he knew where the play was going. Are we going to maintain the speed advantage at the first two levels on defense?
Why do you think we are losing Vaughns? He should be back. Just losing Heninger and Bannerman as far as I know at DE.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
brossp24

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 4th, 2022, 4:01 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Why do you think we are losing Vaughns? He should be back. Just losing Heninger and Bannerman as far as I know at DE.
Yeah I don’t think Vaughns is going anywhere. He should be our starter at DE. Joyner is experienced and should be on the field a lot as well. Hoping Migao can be a beast and then also bring in a transfer such as the Nevada guy. Need 4-5 contributors at that position. Same with DT.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 4th, 2022, 4:37 pm

I think that Banda, Jackson and also Al Lapuaho need a ton of credit for the improvement of the Dline over the course of the year. They seemed to get better every game (with the exception of the Wyoming game). SDSU and OSU didn't have any solutions for what they were bringing.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 4th, 2022, 4:45 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 4:01 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yeah I don’t think Vaughns is going anywhere. He should be our starter at DE. Joyner is experienced and should be on the field a lot as well. Hoping Migao can be a beast and then also bring in a transfer such as the Nevada guy. Need 4-5 contributors at that position. Same with DT.
That is my bad. I (evidently mistakenly) believed that Vaughns was a one-and-done player and would not be back. It looks like Heninger and Bannerman were both seniors. Vaughns and Joyner are listed as juniors.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Am I wrong ‘22?
It will be interesting to see what Kina's role will be next year. He's been pretty good as a walk-on.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 4:45 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 4:01 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
That is my bad. I (evidently mistakenly) believed that Vaughns was a one-and-done player and would not be back. It looks like Heninger and Bannerman were both seniors. Vaughns and Joyner are listed as juniors.
We'll have Joyner and Vaughns for two more years.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
YossarianAggieFBObsessionAGinNEIowa

coolag

Post by coolag » January 4th, 2022, 11:24 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Jermaine Younger, David Gill, Jeremy Hunt-Nut Cracker, and Tony D'Amato would slap you silly with that last comment.

Regulator of Class

Locked Previous topicNext topic