Major Announcement coming soon.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiecat
Has thanked: 0

Major Announcement coming soon.

Post by aggiecat » July 12th, 2023, 10:06 am

I just got word that there will be an announcement within the coming days that will make the Cache Valley fans very happy. It will be good to hear Aggie games clearly again.
GO AGGIES!!!!!

Hoot

Re: Major Announcement coming soon.

Post by Hoot » July 12th, 2023, 10:18 am

Al Lewis returns!

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » July 12th, 2023, 10:21 am

They talked about Aggie games on a CV radio (didn't say what station) during the Road Trips.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 12th, 2023, 10:21 am

Hoot wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 10:18 am
Al Lewis returns!
For pregame and postgame. It will still be Scotty G on the game call.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
tysteve20HootcdaAgCastIronAggieChod

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 12th, 2023, 10:30 am

I hope they're still on 1280 for people outside Cache Valley. It's important USU has as strong a presence as possible along the Wasatch Front.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
greggers1868sstrasser

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

shoresy

Post by shoresy » July 12th, 2023, 10:43 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 10:30 am
I hope they're still on 1280 for people outside Cache Valley. It's important USU has as strong a presence as possible along the Wasatch Front.
They will be. 1280's coverage will only be getting better because of this.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » July 12th, 2023, 11:55 am

Hoot wrote:
Al Lewis returns!
Can't be that if OP really means "hear Aggie games clearly".
Al didn't present a clear game.
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 9):
tysteve20aggies22HootcdaAgLarryTheAggieAggieArmytjensen_25AgMacNowhereLandAggie

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » July 12th, 2023, 11:55 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
The games were already on 1280 as an affiliate before the switch...

Personally I hold all parties responsible for the debacle. Hartwell for not having a plan that included CV radio. 1280 and CV radio for not working out a deal to keep the games on CV radio as an affiliate. It was the fans that suffered from the whole deal. I rarely have time to sit down and watch a full game on TV on a Saturday anymore so listening to the games as I am going about my day was my best option. I eventually gave up trying to listen to the scratchy signal and quit trying to catch away games. Listening to the post game show on the way home from the game isn't a problem because the show is usually over before I hit providence where the signal drops out. Hopefully with CV radio onboard we can get better pre-game and post game content.
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post (total 2):
aggies22cdaAg

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » July 12th, 2023, 12:19 pm

I for one, have generally loved the switch to 1280 from 610 as far as the content and quality of the broadcast material.

Scotty G. is passionate, professional and knowledgeable about the games, players and coaches. He is a true professional at his craft.

No disrespect intended to Al Lewis or KVNU for their many years of service, but it was time to move the focus beyond a small local radio production to more of a complete market presence in the State of Utah.

Bless Al Lewis' heart, but occasionally, the "hot dog ended up a bit off the mustard".

It does not hurt to now have our broadcasts on the Premier Sports Radio Station in the State of Utah, nor does it hurt to have our PXP also be the Primary Program Director on that station.

Kudos to 1280 for further improving coverage in Northern Utah/Southern Idaho, where so many Aggies live.

Thank you.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post (total 8):
aggies22BustaMcNuttAggiefan33The Old BullAGinNEIowaSwaggieAggietjensen_25AgMac

shoresy

Post by shoresy » July 12th, 2023, 12:33 pm

The Old Bull wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 11:55 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Personally I hold all parties responsible for the debacle. Hartwell for not having a plan that included CV radio. 1280 and CV radio for not working out a deal to keep the games on CV radio as an affiliate. It was the fans that suffered from the whole deal. I rarely have time to sit down and watch a full game on TV on a Saturday anymore so listening to the games as I am going about my day was my best option. I eventually gave up trying to listen to the scratchy signal and quit trying to catch away games. Listening to the post game show on the way home from the game isn't a problem because the show is usually over before I hit providence where the signal drops out. Hopefully with CV radio onboard we can get better pre-game and post game content.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't place much blame on the AD. CV Media Group held the department hostage for years, refusing to improve/change their coverage in any way because they knew they were the only option for having games on the radio in Cache Valley. Hartwell got sick of that, and found a way to *vastly* improve the quality of the broadcasts, make more money off of them, and to get them on the air in the Wasatch Front while still having them in CV.

This new arrangement will be the best of both worlds. CV Media is finally swallowing their pride and they will benefit from it, as will Aggie fans in Cache Valley.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 4):
The Old BullAggieFBObsessionsignalwarAggiesForever

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » July 12th, 2023, 1:01 pm

shoresy wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 12:33 pm
The Old Bull wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but I don't place much blame on the AD. CV Media Group held the department hostage for years, refusing to improve/change their coverage in any way because they knew they were the only option for having games on the radio in Cache Valley. Hartwell got sick of that, and found a way to *vastly* improve the quality of the broadcasts, make more money off of them, and to get them on the air in the Wasatch Front while still having them in CV.

This new arrangement will be the best of both worlds. CV Media is finally swallowing their pride and they will benefit from it, as will Aggie fans in Cache Valley.
The reason I included Hartwell is because he assured me he had a plan to broadcast games in the valley... he didn't.

They were already on the air on 1280 as an affiliate before the switch was made, so saying that the switch "got them on the air in the Wasatch front" isn't accurate.

I think there are good arguments that there were improvements to broadcast quality but if you cant hear it, I am not sure that matters.

The pre and post game on 1280 has been inadequate, hopefully that improves.
Last edited by The Old Bull on July 19th, 2023, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » July 12th, 2023, 1:07 pm

The Old Bull wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:01 pm
shoresy wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

The reason I included Hartwell is because he insured me he had a plan to broadcast games in the valley... he didn't.

They were already on the air on 1280 as an affiliate before the switch was made, so saying that the switch "got them on the air in the Wasatch front" isn't accurate.

I think there are good arguments that there were improvements to broadcast quality but if you cant hear it, I am not sure that matters.

They were on the air in Cache Valley, and I listened to several games that way. Additionally, they were on the world wide web.

The pre- and post-game shows will be different, and I believe better, under this new agreement.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
The Old Bull

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » July 12th, 2023, 1:18 pm

shoresy wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:07 pm
The Old Bull wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:01 pm
shoresy wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

The reason I included Hartwell is because he insured me he had a plan to broadcast games in the valley... he didn't.

They were on the air in Cache Valley, and I listened to several games that way. Additionally, they were on the world wide web.

The pre- and post-game shows will be different, and I believe better, under this new agreement.
They were on the air in some parts of the valley that's true. The USU station doesn't reach my house most of the time depending on the radio I am using. During the day I can sometimes hear 1280 if I turn my head the right way but forget about it at night. When I am in range, the lag is 90 seconds on the USU station. The lag on the 1280 app is close to a min. If a game gets close at the end I end up just watching the updates on the ESPN gamecast rather then listen to the game because the broadcast was so far behind. I'm sure that is fine for allot of people but it drives me nuts.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » July 12th, 2023, 1:25 pm

IMO 1280 and Scotty G were both big upgrades so hopefully that doesn't change.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
AgMac

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 12th, 2023, 1:30 pm

If the announcement is simply about the ability to receive an air transmission then I honestly can't believe there are that many people in CV that this matters to. Terrestrial radio is a dying media in general, but it has been basically dead for consumption of live sporting events for a number of years now. With Tune-In Radio and I-Heart Radio or any number of apps now, you can listen to "radio" anywhere in the world.

If the announcement includes production formatting including actual official pre and post game shows then this is great news.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieflying_scotsman2.0Aggiefan33

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 12th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Aglicious wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:30 pm
If the announcement is simply about the ability to receive an air transmission then I honestly can't believe there are that many people in CV that this matters to. Terrestrial radio is a dying media in general, but it has been basically dead for consumption of live sporting events for a number of years now. With Tune-In Radio and I-Heart Radio or any number of apps now, there you can listen to "radio" anywhere in the world.

If the announcement includes production formatting including actual official pre and post game shows then this is great news.
I totally get what you're saying, and agree, but I think you drastically underestimate the number of people in Cache Valley who still listen to AM and FM radio. This will be a big deal to a lot of people.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 12th, 2023, 1:34 pm

treesap32 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:32 pm
Aglicious wrote:
If the announcement is simply about the ability to receive an air transmission then I honestly can't believe there are that many people in CV that this matters to. Terrestrial radio is a dying media in general, but it has been basically dead for consumption of live sporting events for a number of years now. With Tune-In Radio and I-Heart Radio or any number of apps now, you can listen to "radio" anywhere in the world.

I totally get what you're saying, and agree, but I think you drastically underestimate the number of people in Cache Valley who still listen to AM and FM radio. This will be a big deal to a lot of people.
That may be true....it is still a time warp in some regards.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Aggiefan33

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » July 12th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Aglicious wrote:
If the announcement is simply about the ability to receive an air transmission then I honestly can't believe there are that many people in CV that this matters to. Terrestrial radio is a dying media in general, but it has been basically dead for consumption of live sporting events for a number of years now. With Tune-In Radio and I-Heart Radio or any number of apps now, there you can listen to "radio" anywhere in the world.

I think you are right that eventually radio will be replaced by listening online... BUT

Currently the lag listening to live sports online drives me crazy, I'm sure for most people its not a bother. I travel allot for work and when I do I usually like to listen to local radio so I can hear the local news, so listen online. My experience listening to Tune-in it often jumps back and repeats then skips you forward back to live or you stay stuck well behind live radio. I-heart seems to be more stable... I have no idea the functional difference between the two but the quality difference is obvious if you listen allot.

Listening to the game online up the canyon isnt an option either. I used to be able to listen to the aggies up at the cabin in Tetonia on KVNU which I thought was impressive. Cant get them on the APP there either.

I am sure eventually it will got to satellite and it will improve but radio is still far more stable.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » July 13th, 2023, 3:54 pm

Aglicious wrote:

I find there are sometimes blackouts so it isn't perfect on the app or online. Also when it cuts out every 1- 2 minutes it isn't clear. That happens on WiFi or mobile data or on the browser with a computer. They're getting the which is nice. Happy to hear of the big need

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » July 13th, 2023, 4:16 pm

I keep turning on the radio here and thinking how nice it will be to hear Al again.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 13th, 2023, 5:36 pm

Aglicious wrote:If the announcement is simply about the ability to receive an air transmission then I honestly can't believe there are that many people in CV that this matters to. Terrestrial radio is a dying media in general, but it has been basically dead for consumption of live sporting events for a number of years now. With Tune-In Radio and I-Heart Radio or any number of apps now, you can listen to "radio" anywhere in the world.

I CAN stream I just prefer to turn on the radio and not worry about buffering and spotty service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 13th, 2023, 6:24 pm

I have not missed Al Lewis screeching about calls. Not one bit.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
tjensen_25cdaAgAgMac

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » July 14th, 2023, 8:25 am

When I used to live in Cache Valley, the spotty signal bugged me for a bit, so I switched to the iHeart Radio app, and everything was fine. What still bugs me is thinking I can listen to the game on the "Home of Aggie Radio," only to visit the station and hear them broadcasting a Jazz, Utes, or BYU game: All teams about which I could not care less.
Last edited by travelingagg on July 14th, 2023, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post (total 2):
stewusu98AggiesForever

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

afausu

Post by afausu » July 14th, 2023, 8:25 am

I thought this was going to be an announcement that Flygare had finally decided to hang ‘em up. Bummer
These users thanked the author afausu for the post:
AggiesForever

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » July 14th, 2023, 9:35 am

shoresy wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

In fact, how would Hartwell drastically improve the coverage in CV when the CV media group holds a monopoly over the local radio stations?

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » July 14th, 2023, 9:54 am

Disappointing news. I thought this was gonna be about Tunka finally joining sprinkles staff.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » July 14th, 2023, 1:39 pm

I also have a major announcement. Pony Express will now have service to Nibley.
These users thanked the author WannabeAgAlum for the post (total 3):
AggiecpatrevordudeAggiesForever

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 14th, 2023, 3:09 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 10:21 am
Hoot wrote:
Al Lewis returns!
I know this is a unpopular opinion but. Scotty is a much better play by play guy than Al. Al is a ok football play by play guy. But I couldn't stand listening to Aggie basketball game with him on the call. I know Stew loved Lew, but he made it so hard to know what was going on. And if we are looking for a new one I suggest we get MC alum and the voice of Ball State Sports Mick Tidrow.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 4):
BustaMcNuttaggies22cdaAgAgMac

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » July 14th, 2023, 3:38 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 3:09 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 10:21 am
Hoot wrote:
Al Lewis returns!
I know this is a popular opinion but. Scotty is a much better play by play guy than Al. Al is a ok football play by play guy. But I couldn't stand listening to Aggie basketball game with him on the call. I know Stew loved Lew, but he made it so hard to know what was going on. And if we are looking for a new one I suggest we get MC alum and the voice of Ball State Sports Mick Tidrow.
Fify
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 4):
Aggiefan33tysteve20aggies22918AGG

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » July 14th, 2023, 5:19 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:39 pm
That made me laugh.

Are you from millville?

Not sent from Tapatalk

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » July 14th, 2023, 8:15 pm

trevordude wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 5:19 pm
WannabeAgAlum wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:39 pm
That made me laugh.

Are you from millville?
Thank you, nope.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » July 15th, 2023, 6:27 pm

So has anything been announced? If so, what was it?

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » July 15th, 2023, 7:20 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 6:27 pm
So has anything been announced? If so, what was it?

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

AgMac

Post by AgMac » July 16th, 2023, 11:38 am

brownjeans wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 6:24 pm
I have not missed Al Lewis screeching about calls. Not one bit.
Preach! He was the absolute worst. I will not listen to him.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » July 17th, 2023, 9:11 am

I grew up listening to Al. I won't argue that half the time you couldn't tell what was going on. However, I love Al and I loved listening to Al. To me when I think Aggies on the radio I think Al Lewis!
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0cval

Locked Previous topicNext topic