Potential no mw

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Harcher

Re: Potential no mw

Post by Harcher » August 6th, 2023, 8:56 am

Aggieiester wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:37 am
The MWC holds all of the cards in this, all they have to do is stand together. The PAC doesn't have enough schools to continue as a conference, they have no other reasonable options outside adding MWC schools.

All of the benefits of what the PAC is offering is temporary, NCAA tournament credits, P5 status and the (I can't express myself without swearing) Apple TV contract, and does anybody really think that Cal and Stanford are in the league long term?

All the MWC has to do it tell the PAC schools, we stand together, offer all four PAC schools an invite and give them 72 hours to accept.

Will the MWC do this? probably not.
If your premise is true (all the cards) then the mwc could offer a 72 hr plan. AND if they don’t like it THEN there is no loss to MWC.

I don’t think premise is true.
If you get cal and Stanford to join (and wsu and OSU), there can be a revenue increase. Therefore, where is your negotiating stop point?

Many here said “max out what is best for you”.

We have a thread on “least valuable”. Why would that be relevant if MWC holds ALL the cards?
Would USU give up a million or so in equal split to get double revenue?

Cal and Stanford might have other options… so what do you do to get them to come and be part of your group?

It starts with the revenue increase they bring.

BYW I’m not “already conceding” the points above, I’m asking what you all think is that point. What do you think will be the discussion points ?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 6th, 2023, 9:26 am

Harcher wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:56 am
Aggieiester wrote:
The MWC holds all of the cards in this, all they have to do is stand together. The PAC doesn't have enough schools to continue as a conference, they have no other reasonable options outside adding MWC schools.

All of the benefits of what the PAC is offering is temporary, NCAA tournament credits, P5 status and the (I can't express myself without swearing) Apple TV contract, and does anybody really think that Cal and Stanford are in the league long term?

All the MWC has to do it tell the PAC schools, we stand together, offer all four PAC schools an invite and give them 72 hours to accept.

If your premise is true (all the cards) then the mwc could offer a 72 hr plan. AND if they don’t like it THEN there is no loss to MWC.

If you get cal and Stanford to join (and wsu and OSU), there can be a revenue increase. Therefore, where is your negotiating stop point?

We have a thread on “least valuable”. Why would that be relevant if MWC holds ALL the cards?

Cal and Stanford might have other options… so what do you do to get them to come and be part of your group?

BYW I’m not “already conceding” the points above, I’m asking what you all think is that point. What do you think will be the discussion points ?
I honestly don't think Cal/Stanford have a lot of options especially Cal. Both of them need to have a football conference or go independent for football. Cal cannot afford to go the independent route so they need to find a home for at least football. Newsflash the Big12, Big 10 and Sec are not making that phone call to them. I guess it is possible they get invited to the ACC but that would be a disaster from a travel/costs standpoint.

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » August 6th, 2023, 9:27 am

I think we need to step back and remember the MW and PAC4 are not going to talking money at conference destruction levels.

When USCLA left the PAC they went from 20ish million to approx 70 million. Utah is jumping to get to nearly 40 million. That is 50% or more of their overall athletics budgets.

This years conference distribution was in total 6.6 million. Which is a small portion of the 40ish million budget. After changes we are at probably a 8-10 million per school deal if we keep everyone and just add a couple PAC schools. Dropping the supposed “dead weight” and having 7-9 schools join the PAC4 is not going to maintain the 20mil Apple bid. It’s gonna be only at most a couple million higher in the 10-12 million per school range. Not even enough to cover the extra legal costs for the guaranteed lawsuit that would be coming.

MW Conference destruction just ain’t happening.
These users thanked the author AgSpaceCase for the post:
Aggie84025

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 6th, 2023, 9:29 am

Aggieiester wrote:The MWC holds all of the cards in this, all they have to do is stand together. The PAC doesn't have enough schools to continue as a conference, they have no other reasonable options outside adding MWC schools.

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking. Why would we let four rump pac 12 schools dictate anything? The brand is dead. It’s no longer a p5 conference. They have nothing. Why in hell would they be calling any shots ?

If the MW bands together we call the the shots and we come out as the winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 6th, 2023, 9:30 am

Aglicious wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 12:41 am
Yossarian wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 12:01 am
The Old Bull wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 11:38 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:38 pm
slcagg wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:25 pm
If this were to happen would usu be one of the 9

Read the thread here

Dissolving the conference would take nine votes, who would be the three left out? I don't think we would be one of them, but this idea has me feeling uncomfortable. I think it would come down to the following schools:

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

After looking at other conference members message boards and their lists of the 9 members who would make up the new conference our message board is the only place you will find Utah State on the merger list.

This is concerning…

SDSU fans are the most against us… also they are the least informed as many of them seem to think you can do it with a rule change which they claim only takes 9 votes. I suppose it’s possible but it seems unlikely you would have 9 vote rule at all if it only takes 6 votes to change that rule?
If you're looking at market share or viewership, USU and Wyoming should be very nervous.
Why does this keep getting spread as if it were gospel? USU is in the 4th largest media market in the MWC, WYO is dead last. USU's TV ratings are also some of the highest in the MWC. I'm not sure why this gets portrayed so differently than reality?
Because USU is sucking third teat in that market and is not even close to bringing in the same market share as the other two, which happen to be located in the two most populous counties of that market and get the lion's share of media attention. This is no secret.

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 6th, 2023, 9:32 am

Harcher wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

Cal and Stanford don’t have any options besides independence and that’s a horrible option.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
USU78

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 6th, 2023, 9:34 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:30 am
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

Dissolving the conference would take nine votes, who would be the three left out? I don't think we would be one of them, but this idea has me feeling uncomfortable. I think it would come down to the following schools:

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

After looking at other conference members message boards and their lists of the 9 members who would make up the new conference our message board is the only place you will find Utah State on the merger list.

This is concerning…

SDSU fans are the most against us… also they are the least informed as many of them seem to think you can do it with a rule change which they claim only takes 9 votes. I suppose it’s possible but it seems unlikely you would have 9 vote rule at all if it only takes 6 votes to change that rule?
If you're looking at market share or viewership, USU and Wyoming should be very nervous.
Why does this keep getting spread as if it were gospel? USU is in the 4th largest media market in the MWC, WYO is dead last. USU's TV ratings are also some of the highest in the MWC. I'm not sure why this gets portrayed so differently than reality?
Because USU is sucking third teat in that market and is not even close to bringing in the same market share as the other two, which happen to be located in the two most populous counties of that market and get the lion's share of media attention. This is no secret.
We are certainly 3rd place in terms of owning the Utah market but even with that the Aggies pull in pretty good viewership compared to our conference mates.

These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » August 6th, 2023, 9:43 am

Hoot wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:46 am
Aggieiester wrote:

I mean even if the Apple TV deal is temporary it’s still $20 mil per season so yeah I’d take that short term.
This was something that I pointed out too. If Apple agrees with the PAC-MWC, it would still be solid money that keep everyone left together. Taking Hawaii, San Jose State, and Nevada out would help.

SLB

Post by SLB » August 6th, 2023, 9:45 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:34 am
Yossarian wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

This is concerning…

We are certainly 3rd place in terms of owning the Utah market but even with that the Aggies pull in pretty good viewership compared to our conference mates.

Me and some others have talked about this for years.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 6th, 2023, 9:54 am

Some of you need to schedule an appointment with your therapist. The Aggies will be fine. We might not be the most watched school in our media market but that is true for almost all the members of our conference. With the trend for larger conferences and the uncertainty in college sports, artificially limiting the size of a merger is a non starter. The MWC will either add 2 or 4 schools. What we won't do is throw a school out.
Last edited by WasatchAggie on August 6th, 2023, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post (total 2):
SLBUSU78

coolag

Post by coolag » August 6th, 2023, 9:58 am

2004AG wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:29 am
Aggieiester wrote:The MWC holds all of the cards in this, all they have to do is stand together. The PAC doesn't have enough schools to continue as a conference, they have no other reasonable options outside adding MWC schools.

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking. Why would we let four rump pac 12 schools dictate anything? The brand is dead. It’s no longer a p5 conference. They have nothing. Why in hell would they be calling any shots ?

Never underestimate the whores SDSU and BSU and their tripping over themselves to get to the next $#@!

Regulator of Class

SLB

Post by SLB » August 6th, 2023, 10:00 am

TV rankings from above
41) Washington State 907 K
45) Cal 857 K
47) Stanford 846 K
57) Oregon State 625 K
64) Colorado State 386 K
66) Boise State 353 K
68) Air Force 326 K
69) Utah State 324 K
80) Fresno State 220K
83) San Diego State 196K
87) Wyoming 154K
90) Nevada 116.4 K
105) San Jose State 53K
108) Hawaii 43 K
113) New Mexico 17.5K
I would point out that ease of access does impact these numbers

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 6th, 2023, 10:01 am

Aggieiester wrote:

The $20 million Apple TV deal was only a proposal and never signed. It is done and gone.

It was also a deal with Oregon and Washington in the conference with the other schools that also left. There is no big TV contract with the remaining PAC, in fact there is no TV contract whatsoever, that is why USC and UCLA originally left.

A merger will probably occur, lawyers are involved and I am sure SDSU's tournament credits and the remaining money from the PAC are looking for retention as this happens. I don't pretend to know all the legalities, but it is a lot more likely if both conferences agree.

Whatever happens, Gloria Nevarez better be in charge, and not George Kliavkoff.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 6th, 2023, 10:07 am

coolag wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:29 am

Never underestimate the whores SDSU and BSU and their tripping over themselves to get to the next $#@!
They are idiots but it would take more than those two to screw this up completely.

dogie

Post by dogie » August 6th, 2023, 10:08 am

SLB wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 10:00 am
TV rankings from above
41) Washington State 907 K
45) Cal 857 K
47) Stanford 846 K
57) Oregon State 625 K
64) Colorado State 386 K
66) Boise State 353 K
68) Air Force 326 K
69) Utah State 324 K
80) Fresno State 220K
83) San Diego State 196K
87) Wyoming 154K
90) Nevada 116.4 K
105) San Jose State 53K
108) Hawaii 43 K
113) New Mexico 17.5K
I would point out that ease of access does impact these numbers
17,500 is about what UNM averages for home attendance. And, having seen what a 17,500 crowd is like in Albuquerque, I can say that the true number is more like 1,750.

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » August 6th, 2023, 10:08 am

SLB wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:43 am
Hoot wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

I mean even if the Apple TV deal is temporary it’s still $20 mil per season so yeah I’d take that short term.
This was something that I pointed out too. If Apple agrees with the PAC-MWC, it would still be solid money that keep everyone left together. Taking Hawaii, San Jose State, and Nevada out would help.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » August 6th, 2023, 10:09 am

SLB wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 6th, 2023, 11:33 am

AgSpaceCase wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 10:09 am
SLB wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 6th, 2023, 11:34 am

AgSpaceCase wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 10:08 am
SLB wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Turtle

Post by Turtle » August 6th, 2023, 11:40 am

Hoot wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 11:33 am
AgSpaceCase wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 10:09 am
SLB wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

Turtle

Post by Turtle » August 6th, 2023, 11:40 am

Hoot wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 11:34 am
AgSpaceCase wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 10:08 am
SLB wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 6th, 2023, 12:14 pm

These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
LarryTheAggie

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 6th, 2023, 12:45 pm

MHver seems to have a byu soft spot and loves going after the other schools in Utah. Keeps saying he is “hearing from sources” every possible outcome so that if one of then comes true he can claim insight.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2023, 12:53 pm

Brace yourselves for the worst. I'm being told we are likely on the outside looking in.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
trevordude

stwinward

Post by stwinward » August 6th, 2023, 12:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 12:53 pm
Brace yourselves for the worst. I'm being told we are likely on the outside looking in.
Vomit

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » August 6th, 2023, 12:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:
This is one of the few times I'm hoping you're wrong as an insider.
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post:
aggies22

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 6th, 2023, 1:06 pm

If we are on the outside looking in, I assume that means the pac4 are taking some of the MW and some of the AAC. Meaning probably half of the MW is sticking around. We will be fine. Unless we are one of like 3 teams left in the mountian west... in that case, I hate Scott Barnes.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » August 6th, 2023, 1:12 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

This is concerning…

True; however, we saw our fanbase and interest grow when we went from the Big Sky to WAC, then from WAC to MWC, since the quality of our opponents increased. We would likely see an increase in interest in our USU vs. Oregon State and USU vs. Washington State games. Sames goes for CAL and Stanford games, though I understand those are less likely. And adding those 2-4 schools to the MWC group increases the full conference's profile.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » August 6th, 2023, 1:13 pm

aggies22 wrote:
(I can't express myself without swearing)!

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » August 6th, 2023, 1:14 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 1:06 pm
If we are on the outside looking in, I assume that means the pac4 are taking some of the MW and some of the AAC. Meaning probably half of the MW is sticking around. We will be fine. Unless we are one of like 3 teams left in the mountian west... in that case, I hate Scott Barnes.
Yeah but what half? It will likely be SJSU, Hawaii, Wyoming, UNM, and UNR with us if we're left behind. I don't think that's fine. Yeah we're gonna be cash rich but we're gonna be conference poor. I'd rather it be the other way around. And what happens when this new PAC fails because cross country is too much? Do we leave them out in the cold?

calaggie

Post by calaggie » August 6th, 2023, 1:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
If true, that may be the final nail in the coffin of my fandom.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 6th, 2023, 1:30 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Yeah if the Pac survives and we are left out it means they are taking teams from more conferences than just the MW. No way we would be left out of a straight MW-Pac merger unless they only took 4 teams(which wouldn't happen since nobody is going to agree to a giant buyout to join Wazzu, OSU and Cal).

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 6th, 2023, 1:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Does this mean we’re one of the three that gets screwed if the conference votes to dissolve? How can that be… how is sjsu, Nevada, Hawaii, Wyoming, New Mexico, Fresno ahead of us?
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Gidbob

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 6th, 2023, 1:36 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 1:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Does this mean we’re one of the three that gets screwed if the conference votes to dissolve? How can that be… how is sjsu, Nevada, Hawaii, Wyoming, New Mexico, Fresno ahead of us?
Yeah, I love you 22, but you can’t come in here and lob this grenade with no context about what you’re hearing. That’s cruel! :joking:

Hearing we may be left to pick up the pieces in a “bottom 3” with SJSU and Hawaii is much different than being one of 6 or 7 Mountain West schools building a new conference with a (I can't express myself without swearing) ton of buyout money.

I would be fine being flush with cash and building a new league with UNM, Wyoming, and Nevada.

If we’re in the bottom three with SJSU and Hawaii, we’re completely (I can't express myself without swearing) and I see Big Sky in our future. Those are two very different prospects. Can you add some context before the board meltdown commences?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 4):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiZaggie07vegasaggieGidbob

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 6th, 2023, 1:39 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 1:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Yeah love 22, but that seems really hard to believe. We might not be highest rung on the ladder, but we aren't that low.

Locked Previous topicNext topic