Potential no mw

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Potential no mw

Post by USU78 » August 6th, 2023, 6:41 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 5:10 pm
I, personally, don't believe in exit fees. If you are unhappy in a conference or wish to move up if you can, it is okay to leave. If most of the schools want to leave, and I think that may be true, then perhaps there shouldn't be a MW conference. That certainly happened with the Pac 12. This whole notion of kicking out schools who want to be in the conference just confuses the hell out of me. The only reason to be in a G5 conference is because those are the schools you want to play. They are the schools who you want to partner with.
As you know, the PAC schools have a very long history of screwing current members they want to get rid of by shutting the league down then reinviting the favored annointed ones.

Poor old Idaho and Montana.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
aggies22LKGates

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 6th, 2023, 6:48 pm

If you can beat em kick em out. I'm taking to you WSU, OSU, CSU, AF. Bunch of whores.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
aggies22

Regulator of Class

ronburgandee
Has thanked: 0

Post by ronburgandee » August 6th, 2023, 6:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 6:25 pm
nvspuds wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 6:20 pm
I just look at the numbers. If you need 9 votes to end the conference and the exit fees, you would have to figure those 9 schools would know that they were leaving and where before that vote.

If they can't get 9 votes, that changes things.

But as been pointed out here, to get a merger schools may have to be kicked out of that merged entity to get the Pac schools to join.

So if we assume the ones who are either left behind or kicked out are USU, SJU and Nevada (the last 3 schools invited to join the MW) there would be no conference to invite schools to join.
Four schools need to form an alliance and make sure the 9 votes aren't reached.
Right there is the problem... let's say 8 agree to disband and 4 have allied to not disband. Then the 8 reach out to one of the 4. What do you do? What if they reached out to usu and we said, "no, we are allied!" then the 8 just go to the next school... Not hard to understand what is happening here. We could easily be screwed.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 6th, 2023, 6:58 pm

These moves would be made to appease Stanford..Fortunately, I don't think Stanford wants any part of this..They don't need the money, their fans really don't care much about football anymore and the school is really really snobby..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0USU78

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » August 6th, 2023, 7:00 pm

Anyone who thinks USU will be left out is dumb.
Like really really really dumb.
These users thanked the author BasketballAgg for the post:
LKGates

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 6th, 2023, 7:03 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:00 pm
I hope you’re right but let’s just say that if your wrong you owe me $30,000 cool?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
trevordudeUSU78

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

ronburgandee
Has thanked: 0

Post by ronburgandee » August 6th, 2023, 7:04 pm

FootballAgg wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:00 pm
I would think so too... until Aggies22 tells us otherwise.

I doubt I sleep well tonight.
These users thanked the author ronburgandee for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 6th, 2023, 7:09 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 6:58 pm
These moves would be made to appease Stanford..Fortunately, I don't think Stanford wants any part of this..They don't need the money, their fans really don't care much about football anymore and the school is really really snobby..
It’s too bad Stanford and Cal didn’t get picked up by the Big 12.

/I know; thanks captain obvious.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » August 6th, 2023, 7:10 pm

Get your season tickets now, hell, even upgrade your seats.

Get your basketball season ticket deposits in and buy football tickets if you haven't already.

This is the end by all accounts.

All our friends are being asked to prom and our phone and doorstep are dead cold. No one is wheeling and dealing with the Aggies right now
Last edited by trevordude on August 6th, 2023, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
CacheCow

Not sent from Tapatalk

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 6th, 2023, 7:11 pm

The next month or two will be program defining. Literally this will affect the direction of athletics at Utah State as much as any past event in our AD’s history.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
CacheCow

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » August 6th, 2023, 7:17 pm

I hope the MW commissioner goes into this meeting with the entire conference’s interest in mind. I would hope she’s the voice of reason to these university presidents, and they really think this through.

But, then again, when is it ever not about the money!!
These users thanked the author IBleedAggieBlue for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22Zaggie07

dogie

Post by dogie » August 6th, 2023, 7:40 pm

aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
I just look at the numbers. If you need 9 votes to end the conference and the exit fees, you would have to figure those 9 schools would know that they were leaving and where before that vote.

But as been pointed out here, to get a merger schools may have to be kicked out of that merged entity to get the Pac schools to join.

So if we assume the ones who are either left behind or kicked out are USU, SJU and Nevada (the last 3 schools invited to join the MW) there would be no conference to invite schools to join.
I think they need only three. From what I have heard, nine of eleven full members (excluding partial member Hawaii) need to vote to disband the conference.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
aggies22Full

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 6th, 2023, 7:49 pm

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:17 pm
I hope the MW commissioner goes into this meeting with the entire conference’s interest in mind. I would hope she’s the voice of reason to these university presidents, and they really think this through.

When my neighbor mows my lawn.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 6th, 2023, 7:50 pm

dogie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:40 pm
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

I think they need only three. From what I have heard, nine of eleven full members (excluding partial member Hawaii) need to vote to disband the conference.
I read a transcript from a recent interview with Wyoming AD (I think that’s who it was). He mentioned needing to stay with USU, CSU, and NM. I’ll look for the link.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
slcagg

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » August 6th, 2023, 7:53 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:50 pm
dogie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

I read a transcript from a recent interview with Wyoming AD (I think that’s who it was). He mentioned needing to stay with USU, CSU, and NM. I’ll look for the link.
Here is the podcast:
https://omny.fm/shows/pokescast/wyoming ... -pokes-fut

He also added AFA to that list.
These users thanked the author Aggies1888 for the post (total 2):
slcaggChowderAggie

CKS007

Post by CKS007 » August 6th, 2023, 7:56 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 5:43 pm
well, sounds like we better start prepping some of (Montana, Montana State, NDSU, NMSU, UTEP, and Texas State) to move over.
Please no Dakota schools. If there are three MWC schools left over, add UTEP and NMSU that's five. I don't know if Texas State would move over from the Sun Belt. Are Louisiana Tech and SHSU too far east? There may only be a need for 2-4 Big Sky schools.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » August 6th, 2023, 8:00 pm

Aggies1888 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:53 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

Here is the podcast:

I really hope no one, not one MWC school gets left behind, strength in numbers!!
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0slcaggLKGates

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 6th, 2023, 8:11 pm

CKS007 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:56 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
well, sounds like we better start prepping some of (Montana, Montana State, NDSU, NMSU, UTEP, and Texas State) to move over.
Please no Dakota schools. If there are three MWC schools left over, add UTEP and NMSU that's five. I don't know if Texas State would move over from the Sun Belt. Are Louisiana Tech and SHSU too far east? There may only be a need for 2-4 Big Sky schools.
We wouldn't be in a position to be choosy and would have to take anyone who would come.

Cheecho6

Potential no mw

Post by Cheecho6 » August 6th, 2023, 8:16 pm

I’m really having a hard time understanding the logic if it turns out we are on the outside.
I’m not aware of a single data point that has us in the bottom 1/4 of the league.
It certainly isn’t competitiveness. We are one of three schools (SDSU and BSU three others) to be in the Top 5 in wins in both Bball and Fball over the past 5 years.
It isn’t market size. Yes, we don’t carry the whole market but no school does. We are in the top half here. Not to mention it’s the fastest growing state in the country.
It isn’t academics.
It isn’t tv viewership.
It isn’t recruiting- utah has become a hotbed. You’d think the conference would want a presence.

If it is all due to the fact we just changed presidents that would be a shame. You’d think the others would see the value over not yet having a relationship with someone.

I admittedly see things through Aggie colored glasses but the above are factual data points.

What am I missing?

Hope this all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cheecho6 on August 6th, 2023, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Cheecho6 for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22GreenAg

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » August 6th, 2023, 8:17 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:11 pm
CKS007 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:56 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
We wouldn't be in a position to be choosy and would have to take anyone who would come.
I would even take an in-state school like SUU or UT if they wanted to make the jump.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 6th, 2023, 8:22 pm

I just hope the MW sticks together. The dregs of the PAC are NOT worth destroying our league for. We are in a stable regional conference. That is what we’re all destined for. We can do well and hopefully the top of our conference can be competitive with anyone many years. This is who we are. Let’s not play the game with schools that think they can play the game the B10 and SEC are playing.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Zaggie07

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » August 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:22 pm
I just hope the MW sticks together. The dregs of the PAC are NOT worth destroying our league for. We are in a stable regional conference. That is what we’re all destined for. We can do well and hopefully the top of our conference can be competitive with anyone many years. This is who we are. Let’s not play the game with schools that think they can play the game the B10 and SEC are playing.
Anything done to appease the remaining 4 from PAC 12 is idiotic. They have no leverage.
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
aggies22

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:16 pm
I’m really having a hard time understanding the logic if it turns out we are on the outside.
I’m not aware of a single data point that has us in the bottom 1/4 of the league.
It certainly isn’t competitiveness. We are one of three schools (SDSU and BSU three others) to be in the Top 5 in wins in both Bball and Fball over the past 5 years.
It isn’t market size. Yes, we don’t carry the whole market but no school does. We are in the top half here. Not to mention it’s the fastest growing state in the country.
It isn’t academics.
It isn’t tv viewership.
It isn’t recruiting- utah has become a hotbed. You’d think the conference would want a presence.

If it is all due to the fact we just changed presidents that would be a shame. You’d think the others would see the value over not yet having a relationship with someone.

I admittedly see things through Aggie colored glasses but the above are factual data points.

What am I missing?

Hope this all works out.

I’m not sure what Aggies22 is hearing, but it sounds like the initial goal of the PAC4 is to go after about 4 AAC schools (e.g., SMU, Memphis, USF, Tulane). With 8, they can pick up 4 MW schools (SDSU, CSU, UNLV, Fresno).

If the PAC (not individual schools) have significant funds, they could help with buyouts.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post (total 2):
trevordudeCacheCow

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:00 pm
Aggies1888 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:53 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

Here is the podcast:

I really hope no one, not one MWC school gets left behind, strength in numbers!!
WWG1WGA

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
It isn’t academics.
It isn’t tv viewership.

What am I missing?

Hope this all works out.

Unfortunately our revenue and budget are bottom 3.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
ChowderAggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 6th, 2023, 8:25 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:49 pm
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:17 pm

When my neighbor mows my lawn.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 6th, 2023, 8:29 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:22 pm
Anything done to appease the remaining 4 from PAC 12 is idiotic. They have no leverage.
I disagree, by going after some AAC and some MW schools, they are properly something of a ‘best of the rest.’

Wouldn’t you attempt the same strategy if you were Stanford?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 6th, 2023, 8:39 pm

If us getting “left out” is collecting a big fat buyout check so that SDSU, Boise, CSU, Fresno, and UNLV can join the PAC-4, I’d be okay with that.

If we can stay in a conference with Wyoming, UNM, Nevada, etc. and be sitting on a fat stack of cash, I’m still gonna call that a win.

If we’re bottom 3 and not included in a merger, it’s Big Sky time baby (okay, C-USA more likely, but still depressing as hell).

I can live with being “left out” if we’re left out with Wyoming, UNM, and Nevada at least.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07LarryTheAggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » August 6th, 2023, 9:14 pm

Why does this feel the same way when Gary went to whisky.. yikes. If 22 is saying prepare for the worst we are toast.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 6th, 2023, 9:20 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:14 pm
Why does this feel the same way when Gary went to whisky.. yikes. If 22 is saying prepare for the worst we are toast.
He also said Craig Smith was staying in Logan so.........
aggies22

Regulator of Class

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » August 6th, 2023, 9:21 pm

coolag wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:20 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
If coolag and FootballAgg are getting optimistic you know the world is upside down

Not sent from Tapatalk

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 6th, 2023, 9:21 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm
Cheecho6 wrote:
It isn’t academics.
It isn’t tv viewership.

What am I missing?

Hope this all works out.

Unfortunately our revenue and budget are bottom 3.
True, but we are #1 in Foobtall advertising.

:cry:

coolag

Post by coolag » August 6th, 2023, 9:27 pm

trevordude wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 9:21 pm
coolag wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
If coolag and FootballAgg are getting optimistic you know the world is upside down
I'll choo choo to that!
trevordude

Regulator of Class

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2023, 9:30 pm

coolag wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
But look at how far back you have to go to tell me I was wrong.........

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » August 6th, 2023, 9:35 pm

Ok, ok… let’s say it happens. Does it happen like Boise going to the Big East? In other words are Stanford and Cal even around for it by the time it happens?

#hornsup!

Locked Previous topicNext topic