Potential no mw

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Potential no mw

Post by slcagg » August 5th, 2023, 6:25 pm

If this were to happen would usu be one of the 9

Read the thread here

StanfordAggie

Re: Potential no mw

Post by StanfordAggie » August 5th, 2023, 6:31 pm

This guy is an idiot. I think he correctly predicted Nebraska to the B1G a decade ago and now people think he is a credible source about conference realignment even though he has been wrong about everything ever since. I've said it before and I'll say it again: As I understand the rules, the PAC-12 would lose their autobid if they invited more schools since the NCAA requires a minimum number of schools to play together for a minimum number of years to receive an autobid. When you combine that with potential exit fees from the MWC, that's simply not a good deal for any MWC school. And this doesn't even pass the small test. Stanford is perfectly fine sharing a conference with Fresno State and Boise State but they draw the line if Wyoming gets an invitation? Seems reasonable to me.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 2):
newtonianblueViAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 5th, 2023, 6:35 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:31 pm
This guy is an idiot. I think he correctly predicted Nebraska to the B1G a decade ago and now people think he is a credible source about conference realignment even though he has been wrong about everything ever since. I've said it before and I'll say it again: As I understand the rules, the PAC-12 would lose their autobid if they invited more schools since the NCAA requires a minimum number of schools to play together for a minimum number of years to receive an autobid. When you combine that with potential exit fees from the MWC, that's simply not a good deal for any MWC school. And this doesn't even pass the small test. Stanford is perfectly fine sharing a conference with Fresno State and Boise State but they draw the line if Wyoming gets an invitation? Seems reasonable to me.
I hope you are right.

I’ve seen a few people say that if 9 were to leave that then the conference would end and they wouldn’t have to pay the fees? Is that correct?

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » August 5th, 2023, 6:38 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:25 pm

Read the thread here

Dissolving the conference would take nine votes, who would be the three left out? I don't think we would be one of them, but this idea has me feeling uncomfortable. I think it would come down to the following schools:

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State
Last edited by JFWAggie on August 5th, 2023, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » August 5th, 2023, 6:39 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:35 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:31 pm
I’ve seen a few people say that if 9 were to leave that then the conference would end and they wouldn’t have to pay the fees? Is that correct?
That seems optimistic. I'm not a lawyer, but if 9 MWC schools tried to pull that, my guess is that the remaining schools would have a strong breach of contract claim. More importantly, is jettisoning three schools really going to save enough money to justify losing an autobid for 5+ years? I find that very difficult to believe.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
slcagg

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » August 5th, 2023, 6:44 pm

This guy has been right in more things than Nebraska.

Really hope we would be involved in this.
Have a hard time seeing Stanford and Cal wanting to be with SJSU.

Maybe AF goes to American to be with Navy?

Hawaii being only a half member likely is out.

That leaves one left of UNM/Wyo, (if 8 were to go) atleast I hope we would be above both of those schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 5th, 2023, 6:48 pm

slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

Please stop using this account as valid info….
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieUSU78aggies22

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 5th, 2023, 7:02 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:38 pm
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

Dissolving the conference would take nine votes, who would be the three left out? I don't think we would be one of them, but this idea has me feeling uncomfortable. I think it would come down to the following schools:

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State
Pac12 would never take Bosie. Don't worry, we're in.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 5th, 2023, 7:09 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 6:48 pm
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

Please stop using this account as valid info….
This is a message board. I didn’t state as official info did I?

I do appreciate as you being a guy who seems pretty tuned in that you seem to disagree with the take.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ChowderAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 5th, 2023, 7:15 pm

I would hope none of the MW teams would join them. I hope the MWC shows strength in numbers and pushes back and forces them to join up and add to our numbers. Those 4 teams were already part of the utter collapse of what was once a great conference. No need to give in to their demands. The MW has the stability and strength if the teams stick together.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieSkiBum

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » August 5th, 2023, 7:29 pm

Only way this happens is if 9 of the 11 schools vote to
Dissolve. Which isn’t happening unless the 9 Of us have a for sure Contract with the pac 12.

So either way, only way we’re losing MWC schools this year is if 9 of us go.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
AggieSkiBum

Montyman1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Montyman1 » August 5th, 2023, 7:33 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 7:29 pm
Dissolve. Which isn’t happening unless the 9 Of us have a for sure Contract with the pac 12.

Agreed, the only reason the mw won’t exist is if they merge which would involve every school. I have heard that mw commissioner is interested in a merger that would get the 4 pac schools and all mw schools combined under a new name that included the shares that the pac owns in the college football playoff.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » August 5th, 2023, 7:45 pm

Montyman1 wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 7:33 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 7:29 pm

Agreed, the only reason the mw won’t exist is if they merge which would involve every school. I have heard that mw commissioner is interested in a merger that would get the 4 pac schools and all mw schools combined under a new name that included the shares that the pac owns in the college football playoff.
There is a chance the 9 schools dissolve and break away from the MWC leaving 2/3 schools in a lurch. Would suck, but much better for the 9. If Utah State is in the top 9 I’d prefer it. Less mouths to feed and losing some bottom feeders. Maybe add 3 AAC schools to get to 16

Chatman

Post by Chatman » August 5th, 2023, 9:43 pm

If Stanford and Cal are calling the shots in this scenario, then Fresno State and San Jose State are in trouble. No way Stanford wants to be in the same conference as those two.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 5th, 2023, 10:00 pm

Chatman wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 9:43 pm
If Stanford and Cal are calling the shots in this scenario, then Fresno State and San Jose State are in trouble. No way Stanford wants to be in the same conference as those two.
Agreed, but the MW already has a media deal in order and quite frankly if the conference just stays together that is not a bad spot to be in. Cal/Stanford have no leeway at this point. Their conference in its current makeup is non existent past this year. Those schools need the MW way more than the MW needs them. They need a landing spot and no other power conference is coming calling especially for Cal. Cal/Stanford if they want to merge/join with the MW teams are going to have to show humility and leave their condescending better than everyone attitude at the door.
AggieBlues

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 5th, 2023, 10:13 pm

Stanford and cal are only calling the shots of the MW allows it, and the more I think about it, the more I’m afraid that might happen. We need 9/12 schools to make decisions/get rid of the exit fee. As slimy as this is, that means the pac12 needs to convince (extend membership) to only 9 schools. We trim 3 schools, SJSU and two others (though likely not USU) and maybe get a couple of schools like SMU, Gonzaga, whoever. Currently the PAC-? would still be getting playoff money and such as a P5, although that likely wouldn’t continue. But we could get a better TV deal, certainly, and cement ourselves in the best regional conference west of the Mississippi.

But like I said, absolutely slimy to dump 3 MW teams. At least NMSU would be virtually guaranteed a spot in the new MW.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
utaggiesBullnamed_gus

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 5th, 2023, 10:16 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 10:13 pm
Stanford and cal are only calling the shots of the MW allows it, and the more I think about it, the more I’m afraid that might happen. We need 9/12 schools to make decisions/get rid of the exit fee. As slimy as this is, that means the pac12 needs to convince (extend membership) to only 9 schools. We trim 3 schools, SJSU and two others (though likely not USU) and maybe get a couple of schools like SMU, Gonzaga, whoever. Currently the PAC-? would still be getting playoff money and such as a P5, although that likely wouldn’t continue. But we could get a better TV deal, certainly, and cement ourselves in the best regional conference west of the Mississippi.

But like I said, absolutely slimy to dump 3 MW teams. At least NMSU would be virtually guaranteed a spot in the new MW.
NMSU in the new MW:

These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 5th, 2023, 10:21 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 10:13 pm

I don't like this. I say WWG1WGA

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

utaggies

Post by utaggies » August 5th, 2023, 10:31 pm

Chatman wrote:
I do not believe there is a chance that Stanford ever joins any conference with more than one MWC team (SDS). It will go indy for a couple of years to see how the conference tectonic plates next move. To a lesser extent I believe this is also true of Cal. I believe only WSU and OSU are currently in play for the MWC.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 5th, 2023, 10:46 pm

utaggies wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 10:31 pm
Chatman wrote:
I do not believe there is a chance that Stanford ever joins any conference with more than one MWC team (SDS). It will go indy for a couple of years to see how the conference tectonic plates next move. To a lesser extent I believe this is also true of Cal. I believe only WSU and OSU are currently in play for the MWC.
Where would you envision their Olympic sports go to, Big West or WCC?
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 5th, 2023, 11:21 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 10:46 pm
utaggies wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 10:31 pm
Chatman wrote:
Where would you envision their Olympic sports go to, Big West or WCC?
Tough choice. Join the MWC or join the Big West? :lol: WCC always an option, but mighty Stanford would love playing in High School Gyms.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » August 5th, 2023, 11:38 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

After looking at other conference members message boards and their lists of the 9 members who would make up the new conference our message board is the only place you will find Utah State on the merger list.

This is concerning…

SDSU fans are the most against us… also they are the least informed as many of them seem to think you can do it with a rule change which they claim only takes 9 votes. I suppose it’s possible but it seems unlikely you would have 9 vote rule at all if it only takes 6 votes to change that rule?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 6th, 2023, 12:01 am

The Old Bull wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 11:38 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

After looking at other conference members message boards and their lists of the 9 members who would make up the new conference our message board is the only place you will find Utah State on the merger list.

This is concerning…

SDSU fans are the most against us… also they are the least informed as many of them seem to think you can do it with a rule change which they claim only takes 9 votes. I suppose it’s possible but it seems unlikely you would have 9 vote rule at all if it only takes 6 votes to change that rule?
If you're looking at market share or viewership, USU and Wyoming should be very nervous.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ViAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

dogie

Post by dogie » August 6th, 2023, 12:02 am

The Old Bull wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

This is concerning…

Fortunately the fans, and particularly the message boards, are not going to be making the decisions.

Once the smoke cleared this morning, it was certain that 1) USU fans were doing to agonize over every way this favorable situation could turn bad and 2) each conference message board will be doing the same thing, with arguments that other schools are inferior.

Just remember, the MWC holds all of the cards. The PAC is no longer an operational conference. The San Diego article was good, and I think it confirms that a full merger has momentum.

Also, I like what I have seen from Navarez so far. She’s going to go to the mat for the collection of 12 schools and won’t be leaving any of them behind. She ain’t gonna take no guff from no one.

bpd

Post by bpd » August 6th, 2023, 12:11 am

dogie wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 12:02 am
The Old Bull wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

This is concerning…

Fortunately the fans, and particularly the message boards, are not going to be making the decisions.

Once the smoke cleared this morning, it was certain that 1) USU fans were doing to agonize over every way this favorable situation could turn bad and 2) each conference message board will be doing the same thing, with arguments that other schools are inferior.

Just remember, the MWC holds all of the cards. The PAC is no longer an operational conference. The San Diego article was good, and I think it confirms that a full merger has momentum.

Also, I like what I have seen from Navarez so far. She’s going to go to the mat for the collection of 12 schools and won’t be leaving any of them behind. She ain’t gonna take no guff from no one.

I agree, I don’t think anybody will get left behind. But there are a couple things that concern me. 1- founding members of the conference are not going to be cut off. We are not a founding member. 2. The San Diego article mentioned that ADs and presidents were having discussions all day. I doubt we were involved with that because…a- we don’t have an AD and…b- our president probably does not have great relationships yet with other presidents and she was interviewing AD candidates.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 6th, 2023, 12:41 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 12:01 am
The Old Bull wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Read the thread here

New Mexico
San Jose
Nevada
Utah State
Hawaii
Wyoming

New PAC 12
Washington State
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
SDSU
CSU
Air Force
Utah State
UNLV
Boise State
Nevada
Fresno State

This is concerning…

If you're looking at market share or viewership, USU and Wyoming should be very nervous.
Why does this keep getting spread as if it were gospel? USU is in the 4th largest media market in the MWC, WYO is dead last. USU's TV ratings are also some of the highest in the MWC. I'm not sure why this gets portrayed so differently than reality?
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
vegasaggieZaggie07AggieBluestreesap32

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 6th, 2023, 5:52 am

I believe Stanford and Cal will leave for the ACC, so no need to worry about losing anyone. MW will gain Washington State and Oregon State and call it good. I just don't see a world where Stanford with all the athletic success in Olympic sports would want to associate with us.

SLB

Post by SLB » August 6th, 2023, 6:36 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 5:52 am
I believe Stanford and Cal will leave for the ACC, so no need to worry about losing anyone. MW will gain Washington State and Oregon State and call it good. I just don't see a world where Stanford with all the athletic success in Olympic sports would want to associate with us.
Because of travel costs and the ACC not paying that great, I am pretty certain that Cal and Stanford would make more money in a PAC-MWC merger.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 6th, 2023, 6:48 am

SLB wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 6:36 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 5:52 am
Because of travel costs and the ACC not paying that great, I am pretty certain that Cal and Stanford would make more money in a PAC-MWC merger.
ACC pays in the $20Ms. That would still be P4 money for now, but jumping to ACC would be akin to jumping from the Titanic to the Lusitania. Plus I agree that Stanford's ridiculous amount of sports (36) can't all join ACC. As for travel, if they would have bounced to the B1G with all that travel then ACC travel shouldn't phase them. I don't think a PAC-MWC merger would pay what the ACC would pay.

Harcher

Post by Harcher » August 6th, 2023, 6:51 am

What are the leverage or value propositions?

If the pac4 come with “hey if you merge with us and bring your 9 best we will double/triple your tv income”. “We have 2 more across the country who are required to bring this kind of revenue. Realize that we didn’t send this invite to SJSU, Hawaii and Wyoming. So, are you in?”

Add to that: “The pac4 are not going to be put together into a quadrant in the league. We are going to arrange it so that the top competitors don’t have to share a quadrant. (WSU OSU. ? ?) (cal, Stan, ?,?) (BSU,?,?,?) (SDSU, Fresno, ?,?). This way the best programs can be in the PacMount conference playoff each year. And finally , along with Boisie and SDSU the PAc 4 get a slightly larger cut of the pie because we are the programs that are the valuable nuggets which enables the doubling of your puny TV revenue “

“So do you want to join us? We are calling this plan “The Project 2024”.

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » August 6th, 2023, 7:23 am

Harcher wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 6:51 am

If the pac4 come with “hey if you merge with us and bring your 9 best we will double/triple your tv income”. “We have 2 more across the country who are required to bring this kind of revenue. Realize that we didn’t send this invite to SJSU, Hawaii and Wyoming. So, are you in?”

Add to that: “The pac4 are not going to be put together into a quadrant in the league. We are going to arrange it so that the top competitors don’t have to share a quadrant. (WSU OSU. ? ?) (cal, Stan, ?,?) (BSU,?,?,?) (SDSU, Fresno, ?,?). This way the best programs can be in the PacMount conference playoff each year. And finally , along with Boisie and SDSU the PAc 4 get a slightly larger cut of the pie because we are the programs that are the valuable nuggets which enables the doubling of your puny TV revenue “

Nope. That's like telling your wife you want to get married but you understand she's slightly better looking so she needs more lovin', so she can have some side D too. Nah, not interested. Idgaf how much money truck driver u thinks they bring in, this is the start of a conference and those schools, along with truck driver U, need a home, we're equal or we're nothing. IMO.
These users thanked the author Aggies1888 for the post:
LarryTheAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 6th, 2023, 7:34 am

Aggies1888 wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 7:23 am
Harcher wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 6:51 am

Nope. That's like telling your wife you want to get married but you understand she's slightly better looking so she needs more lovin', so she can have some side D too. Nah, not interested. Idgaf how much money truck driver u thinks they bring in, this is the start of a conference and those schools, along with truck driver U, need a home, we're equal or we're nothing. IMO.
This, one of the benefits of a potential merger where they keep the Pac name is we can drop the extra money going to Boise. If they don't like it, tough, they can go to conference usa.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggies1888slcagg

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » August 6th, 2023, 8:37 am

The MWC holds all of the cards in this, all they have to do is stand together. The PAC doesn't have enough schools to continue as a conference, they have no other reasonable options outside adding MWC schools.

All of the benefits of what the PAC is offering is temporary, NCAA tournament credits, P5 status and the (I can't express myself without swearing) Apple TV contract, and does anybody really think that Cal and Stanford are in the league long term?

All the MWC has to do it tell the PAC schools, we stand together, offer all four PAC schools an invite and give them 72 hours to accept.

Will the MWC do this? probably not.

AggieLifer
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieLifer » August 6th, 2023, 8:40 am

Calling Boise State Truck Driver U is an affront to truck drivers everywhere!

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 6th, 2023, 8:46 am

Aggieiester wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:37 am
The MWC holds all of the cards in this, all they have to do is stand together. The PAC doesn't have enough schools to continue as a conference, they have no other reasonable options outside adding MWC schools.

All of the benefits of what the PAC is offering is temporary, NCAA tournament credits, P5 status and the (I can't express myself without swearing) Apple TV contract, and does anybody really think that Cal and Stanford are in the league long term?

All the MWC has to do it tell the PAC schools, we stand together, offer all four PAC schools an invite and give them 72 hours to accept.

Will the MWC do this? probably not.
I mean even if the Apple TV deal is temporary it’s still $20 mil per season so yeah I’d take that short term.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Locked Previous topicNext topic