Thamel on ACC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Thamel on ACC

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 2:36 pm

I don't know about you, but it seems like this is going to happen for Stanford and Cal which in a weird way will probably be a good thing for us. The fact that they're still continuing discussions and concessions without saying a hard no, makes me believe that Stanford and Cal are going to be out of any rebuild of the PAC. Which means hello Washington State and Oregon State into the Mountain West.

SLB

Re: Thamel on ACC

Post by SLB » August 23rd, 2023, 2:42 pm

If this is true, we are winners in the sense that Cal and Stanford are now P5 schools taking G5 money.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 23rd, 2023, 2:47 pm

Man. To be a fan of a school in a big TV market...even if they didn't draw any of that market.

SMU leaving the AAC would turn the MWC into the clear "takers" which is great. SDSU would cry a thousand tears, but they can suck it.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Zaggie07

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 2:59 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 2:47 pm
Man. To be a fan of a school in a big TV market...even if they didn't draw any of that market.

SMU leaving the AAC would turn the MWC into the clear "takers" which is great. SDSU would cry a thousand tears, but they can suck it.
This is a good point. If the ACC ends up taking Stanford, Cal and SMU, then not only will we take Washington State and Oregon State but the AAC will lose their premier member also so it definitely puts us in the driver's seat on the group of five level. That would be the most favorable situation for Utah State other than a complete merger of the PAC 4 schools with the whole MW conference.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
ViAggie

AggieDad

Post by AggieDad » August 23rd, 2023, 3:01 pm

Who gets the PAC [ ] money?

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 23rd, 2023, 3:03 pm

AggieDad wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:01 pm
I think if Cal/Stanford leave for the ACC then you'll see the MW be absorbed into the PAC so that that money isn't lost. Not sure how it would be distributed. It seems like Oregon State and Washington State should get the lions share. They probably need it to help them for a few years while they cut budget to a G5 level.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 23rd, 2023, 3:10 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:03 pm
AggieDad wrote:
I think if Cal/Stanford leave for the ACC then you'll see the MW be absorbed into the PAC so that that money isn't lost. Not sure how it would be distributed. It seems like Oregon State and Washington State should get the lions share. They probably need it to help them for a few years while they cut budget to a G5 level.
What have OSU and WSU done to deserve the lions share? Luck into the same conference as USC 100 years ago? They have always belonged in the MW, but have had the benefit of being in the PAC12 by history. If anything the MW teams deserve more money to level the playing field. I’m getting tired of everyone feeling bad about OSU and WSU’s situations when there are 70 other FBS teams who have existed forever where they are heading.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieMrBiggleakaggie

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm

OSU and WSU have been MW bound for a long time now. This process started a year ago.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » August 23rd, 2023, 3:20 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm
OSU and WSU have been MW bound for a long time now. This process started a year ago.
Yeah, this realignment has been known about for a long time now. Those who are in the know have known about this for awhile. Not sure why it’s taken this long for media leaks. I wonder if media networks are telling their “reporters” Not to leak anything to impact negotiations etc.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » August 23rd, 2023, 3:24 pm

SLB wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 2:42 pm
If this is true, we are winners in the sense that Cal and Stanford are now P5 schools taking G5 money.
That, and it leaves a lot of money from that conference being split up with us.

I’m sure there is a deal being worked out so that WSU/OSU get a lot of it, but we will definitely see some fruits.

Also, might as well go steal Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, and and North Texas(or another school in Texas) to put the final Nail in the AAC coffin. (Let those bozo bulls in Tampa and their big market wither away like a ragweed) doing so could get the conference awfully close, and all but guarantees the conference champ is in the playoff as long as the CFP allows the top 5 Conf Champions
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieZaggie07

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 23rd, 2023, 3:33 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:10 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
AggieDad wrote:
What have OSU and WSU done to deserve the lions share? Luck into the same conference as USC 100 years ago? They have always belonged in the MW, but have had the benefit of being in the PAC12 by history. If anything the MW teams deserve more money to level the playing field. I’m getting tired of everyone feeling bad about OSU and WSU’s situations when there are 70 other FBS teams who have existed forever where they are heading.
I didn't say they "deserved" the lions share. I said they'd need it to make the transition to a G5 level athletic budget. I'm old fashioned, but the student athletes at those schools don't deserve the Hell that's coming to them. They need time to ramp down expenses without cutting scholarships.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » August 23rd, 2023, 3:41 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:33 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:10 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
AggieDad wrote:
I didn't say they "deserved" the lions share. I said they'd need it to make the transition to a G5 level athletic budget. I'm old fashioned, but the student athletes at those schools don't deserve the Hell that's coming to them. They need time to ramp down expenses without cutting scholarships.
Yeah, a state University doesn't typically have wide swings in budgets.

Look at West Virginia cutting a bunch of programs and the negative affects it's having on all students and staff.

I generally agree that universities need to ramp down spending to re-align tuition/value for many students, but that down ramp probably starts as no budget increases for several years at the beginning.

Not sent from Tapatalk

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 23rd, 2023, 3:43 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:24 pm
SLB wrote:

I’m sure there is a deal being worked out so that WSU/OSU get a lot of it, but we will definitely see some fruits.

Also, might as well go steal Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, and and North Texas(or another school in Texas) to put the final Nail in the AAC coffin. (Let those bozo bulls in Tampa and their big market wither away like a ragweed) doing so could get the conference awfully close, and all but guarantees the conference champ is in the playoff as long as the CFP allows the top 5 Conf Champions
I think we certainly try to get to 16 by taking Memphis and SMU( if they are available) or ine other. I am not sure we need to get to 18. But maybe. I would also consider Wichita State to balance out Hawaii being football only.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 23rd, 2023, 4:00 pm

This may be good news in the short run, but I'm afraid teams like SDSU (and now OSU/WSU) will always be furiously working behind the scenes to try and break up and separate themselves from the likes of USU, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada & whoever else.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
aggies22JSHarvey

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 3:43 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

I think we certainly try to get to 16 by taking Memphis and SMU( if they are available) or ine other. I am not sure we need to get to 18. But maybe. I would also consider Wichita State to balance out Hawaii being football only.
Gloria Nevarez has said that she's looking around 14 to 16 teams, so that means Washington State and Oregon State would be 14. If they're going to go 16 I just take two more maybe from Texas. I would like SMU and Tulane.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 23rd, 2023, 4:06 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

The more we expand the more we’d have to share the pac12 shares right?

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:07 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 4:00 pm
This may be good news in the short run, but I'm afraid teams like SDSU (and now OSU/WSU) will always be furiously working behind the scenes to try and break up and separate themselves from the likes of USU, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada & whoever else.
I just don't know what else SDSU would do because if the AAC loses SMU then that's going to cripple that conference even more to the point where the MWC could take two more AAC schools and those schools will most likely join. I think they're going to have to come to grips that this is their best situation unless the Big 12 calls.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 23rd, 2023, 4:07 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

Gloria Nevarez has said that she's looking around 14 to 16 teams, so that means Washington State and Oregon State would be 14. If they're going to go 16 I just take two more maybe from Texas. I would like SMU and Tulane.
Did you not read the tweets in the original post? Under this scenario SMU is going to the ACC.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:09 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 4:07 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

Did you not read the tweets in the original post? Under this scenario SMU is going to the ACC.
My fault. Wasn't thinking when I posted that. I would say Tulane and Tulsa.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 23rd, 2023, 4:09 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

What’s the draw of Tulane?

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 23rd, 2023, 4:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 4:09 pm
Aggiealum13 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

I have one word for you: beignets. Or is that two words? I dunno, I don't speak french, I just like beignets.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

An up and coming program. Decent market. However let me just go ahead and make a disclaimer, this is only if we go to 16. I'm pretty happy at 14 with Washington State and Oregon State and rolling with that.
Madmartigan

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 23rd, 2023, 4:18 pm

slcagg wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

I'd much rather have UTSA.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
aggies22utaggies

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » August 23rd, 2023, 4:22 pm

This has been eluded to before but if the MWC becomes the PAC 14, it’s a great time to dissolve Boises sweetheart deal. They don’t have any leverage now that the realignment has occurred. They have no choice but to face reality. Stanford will not allow them to enter the ACC.

#hornsup!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 23rd, 2023, 4:25 pm

I say we expand to 16 but only with 14 FB schools, leave Hawaii in the BW, offer Gonzaga and St. Mary's. We could try and get Wichita State instead of St. Mary's, but we'd have to help them buy out of the AAC. Prying St. Mary's get's the Zags to move the needle. We'd have a F'awesome BB conference.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

coolag

Post by coolag » August 23rd, 2023, 4:25 pm

Have we kicked out SDSU yet?

Regulator of Class

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » August 23rd, 2023, 4:28 pm

Whether we are called the PAC or MTN, adding OSU and WSU is great for the conference geographically. I question whether this makes us stronger in the sense that schools from Texas or OK want to join. I would be much happier with a 14 team conference. This makes sense economically for major and Oly sports. It's not like all our conference schools are rolling in sports money!!

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:35 pm

Here's more from a similar article in the Athletic today. Because I understand this has paywall restrictions, I copied and pasted and here you go:

https://theathletic.com/4800635/2023/08 ... expansion/

"The ACC is seriously considering adding Stanford, Cal and SMU, multiple sources briefed on the discussions said Wednesday. There have been discussions periodically over the past month. Here’s what you need to know:

A group of ACC presidents met Wednesday morning to discuss finances, one of the sources said. Another set of presidents is expected to meet separately as a small group later this week, and there is a meeting of the league’s athletic directors expected as well.
The ACC had a number of meetings this month to discuss expansion and sift through the financial details that could make it possible, but it has not yet conducted a formal vote amid pushback from within the league.
The conference needs 12 of 15 member schools to vote “yes” in order to add any new members. Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and NC State opposed the additions of Cal and Stanford when the league presidents met two weeks ago to take a straw poll.
What hurdles remain?

There are multiple financial models still under consideration, the sources said, as ESPN first reported. And that’s where the key to final approval will be. SMU is willing to join the ACC and accept no media rights revenue for seven years, and Stanford and Cal are willing to join as partial members.

Because ESPN has a pro rata clause with the ACC, the league would be paid out for full shares for each addition. If that money is pooled after paying out the partial shares to the Bay Area schools, it allows the ACC to bring in new, additional revenue that it can disperse however it chooses.

The expectation, sources said this week, is that the money would be dispersed based on performance. So, football success would drive additional revenue. This has been a sticking point among the four dissenting schools. Florida State and Clemson have been particularly vocal about falling behind their peers in the SEC and Big Ten over the next decade, believing that they need to close a gap that could stretch to $30 million on an annual basis in media rights payouts. A performance-based model for the additional revenue gained by expansion could help.

Two of the sources said they believed the ACC is closer to adding the three schools than it has been at any point this month, and that a final decision could be made by the weekend. Backstory

Adding Stanford, Cal and SMU would stretch the ACC’s membership footprint from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. The ACC would join the Big Ten as the only power conferences to include members on both the West and East Coasts.

Stanford and Cal’s options are limited after five Pac-12 schools left the league earlier this month. If the Cardinal and Bears also depart, the Pac-12 will be left with only Oregon State and Washington State.

SMU, a member of the American Athletic Conference since the league’s current version formed in 2013, has been outside a major power conference since the Southwest Conference dissolved in 1996. The Mustangs were reported to be a Pac-12 expansion target earlier this year, and in February, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff visited the school and was spotted speaking with SMU administrators during a Mustangs basketball game."

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » August 23rd, 2023, 4:37 pm

It does feel a bit like the cusa is currently a house of cards and is already on fairly shaky ground.

Do the MWC or PAC really need to take any swift or definitive action?

It would be nice to sew up WSU and OSU pretty pronto, but think I would let CalFord show their (I can't express myself without swearing) a bit first. Stanford may have options. Does Cal?

It would be good to understand a bit more about their intent.

Maybe they can be softened up a bit and then the MWC can make a run at them. I just do not see OSU and WSU going anywhere IMHO, so no rush.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:42 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 4:00 pm
Who is left for them to join up with?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ViAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 4:18 pm
slcagg wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
SLB wrote:

I'd much rather have UTSA.
Yes! The only game in town.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:46 pm

I can't remember where I heard it, but I heard that Gloria Nevarez is going to Washington State tomorrow to pitch conference admission to their administration before this information from Thamel and the Athletic came out. If I find it I will edit this post and add it on. If I'm Gloria I would say look because Stanford and Cal are not going to join you, so there is nothing to wait for.
Last edited by Aggiealum13 on August 23rd, 2023, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevordude

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 23rd, 2023, 4:47 pm

I'd prefer UTSA over Tulane or Tulsa honestly. I don't think we'll add beyond the 14 unless we get a basketball only school.

Not sure if the TV deal will warrant any exit fees to AAC teams, but their exit fee is smaller than the MWC.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » August 23rd, 2023, 4:53 pm

Looks like ACC is using expansion to get more (short term) money to its current members. Stanford/Cal/SMU would all get reduced shares, with the extra money going to current members. Trading short term gain for long term rifts. But with FSU and Clemson already wanting out, might as well. lol.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » August 23rd, 2023, 4:55 pm

One might hope that SUDS's $23 Million diaper blowout would help some of these MWC teams start to understand the cost of their actions.

So I hope Gloria will enforce SUDS's premature self-ejection from the MWC in some way to keep them and others from being stupid in the future.

I believe she will include some pretty direct and firm language.

I am not holding my breath on SUDS being smart enough for history not to repeat itself.

And please don't tell SUDS about others being willing to take no money for 7 years. They will be at the front of the line volunteering to take no money for 10.

Why not. It is just Monopoly Money. California will be belly-up in a year or two anyway.
Last edited by RogerAndersen on August 23rd, 2023, 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post:
signalwar

Locked Previous topicNext topic