OSU / WSU Suing PAC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
88USUAggie

OSU / WSU Suing PAC

Post by 88USUAggie » September 8th, 2023, 12:22 pm

Just heard, OSU and WSU is suing the organizations leaving the conference - the desired outcome to allow the remaining teams to decide how to split up the assets of the conference. I was waiting for the lawyers to get involved. Will be interesting...
These users thanked the author 88USUAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0USU78

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: OSU / WSU Suing PAC

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 8th, 2023, 12:45 pm

These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
88USUAggieViAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » September 8th, 2023, 12:46 pm

Per the By-Laws, I don’t see how OSU/WSU doesn’t win this suit.

The schools leaving should’ve held a vote to dissolve the conference prior to leaving. They probably just forfeited millions of dollars.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
ViAggie

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 8th, 2023, 12:50 pm

Selfishly, I hope OSU and WSU lose and get screwed. That would officially slam the door shut on them having any hope of keeping the PAC alive.

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » September 8th, 2023, 12:50 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 12:46 pm

The schools leaving should’ve held a vote to dissolve the conference prior to leaving. They probably just forfeited millions of dollars.
I can't help but think that some time down the road (maybe sooner than later) a lot of teams are going to regret some of the decisions made this year.
These users thanked the author 88USUAggie for the post (total 3):
ViAggieaggies22FromLItoLogan

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 8th, 2023, 12:56 pm

88USUAggie wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 12:50 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 12:46 pm

I can't help but think that some time down the road (maybe sooner than later) a lot of teams are going to regret some of the decisions made this year.
I know there is a lot of P12 hate mainly because of the snobyness from some schools that was obviously not warranted, but in the long run they would have been way better off staying together as a conference. Putting your olympic sports in an east coast based conference when you are as far west as you can get, is never a good idea, no matter who you are. The student atheletes hate it, the coaches hate it, and the students will soon come to hate it ("Who are we playing again? Who are they, where's that place?"). Potentially good for us though (potentially).
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
88USUAggiegomretat

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » September 8th, 2023, 1:12 pm

One thing I've not seen discussed much is the parents of athletes...another benefit of having a geographically 'sane' conference footprint is it makes it a lot easier for family and friends to see away games. Not a make or break aspect of the situation...but I think it's been underestimated. Very, very few kids, even from the "biggest schools" will have a shot to play on Sunday. It makes me wonder if all the crazy travel will impact where kids decide to go to school. I can't see how it won't especially for non-revenue sports. Maybe if it doesn't impact football/bball, it just doesn't matter...but I do think there will be unintended consequences that have not bubbled up yet with these trans-continental conferences.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » September 8th, 2023, 1:15 pm

88USUAggie wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 12:22 pm
Just heard, OSU and WSU is suing the organizations leaving the conference - the desired outcome to allow the remaining teams to decide how to split up the assets of the conference. I was waiting for the lawyers to get involved. Will be interesting...
This probably means they will NOT formally join the MWC this year. It will take at least a year for all this to get sorted out. So, they'll be looking for a scheduling agreement in all sports. To make it worth our while, they'll be paying a hefty per game price, in football. Pretty much the scenario I outlined in another thread.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 4):
88USUAggieflying_scotsman2.0ViAggietrevordude

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » September 8th, 2023, 1:20 pm

LKGates wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 1:15 pm
88USUAggie wrote:
This probably means they will NOT formally join the MWC this year. It will take at least a year for all this to get sorted out. So, they'll be looking for a scheduling agreement in all sports. To make it worth our while, they'll be paying a hefty per game price, in football. Pretty much the scenario I outlined in another thread.
Agree 100

seabass

Post by seabass » September 8th, 2023, 1:32 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
Selfishly, I hope OSU and WSU lose and get screwed. That would officially slam the door shut on them having any hope of keeping the PAC alive.
I agree. While I want to just keep the name of our conference, if we go with “PAC” whatever the PAC originals are going to want their conference name back in a few years when they come to their senses and will have to pay a hefty price to get the PAC name back.
These users thanked the author seabass for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » September 8th, 2023, 1:55 pm

88USUAggie wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 1:12 pm
One thing I've not seen discussed much is the parents of athletes...another benefit of having a geographically 'sane' conference footprint is it makes it a lot easier for family and friends to see away games. Not a make or break aspect of the situation...but I think it's been underestimated. Very, very few kids, even from the "biggest schools" will have a shot to play on Sunday. It makes me wonder if all the crazy travel will impact where kids decide to go to school. I can't see how it won't especially for non-revenue sports. Maybe if it doesn't impact football/bball, it just doesn't matter...but I do think there will be unintended consequences that have not bubbled up yet with these trans-continental conferences.
I think this will definitely help the MWC in recruiting battles. Not saying it’s going to mean we’re going to start beating out SC or Oregon for recruits, but for a lot of fringe guys it might help tip the scales in our favor knowing they’re going to stay more local, get a lot of exposure, and play in the best non-power conference
88USUAggie

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » September 8th, 2023, 1:56 pm

seabass wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 1:32 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I agree. While I want to just keep the name of our conference, if we go with “PAC” whatever the PAC originals are going to want their conference name back in a few years when they come to their senses and will have to pay a hefty price to get the PAC name back.
Brilliant take. Made me wonder...is this whole thing a "New Coke" scenario. Could someone have been so bright to say "let's break this up, and in a few years pitch the idea of an all west coast(ish) conference, that would include LA, Seattle, Bay Area, Portland, SLC...etc...and the absence of the major west coast conference actually boosts it's intrinsic value.
These users thanked the author 88USUAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 8th, 2023, 2:03 pm

The fact that they are also suing their conference commissioner tells me all I need to hear.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 8th, 2023, 2:42 pm

I don't know. If there's one thing I've learned from following college sports, it's that contractually agreed upon penalties don't mean all that much

Snarkiness aside, this will certainly be settled out of court, but it'll be complicated given the PAC 12's various assets and liabilities.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 8th, 2023, 2:57 pm

If they don't join for next year, I at least want their help in filling the last home game we need since byu provo left us high and dry.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
aggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » September 8th, 2023, 3:15 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 2:57 pm
If they don't join for next year, I at least want their help in filling the last home game we need since byu provo left us high and dry.
We’re going to be playing under the PAC name next year, don’t get this twisted, this will get settled in the next few weeks, and Gloria and/or Luck will take control over the PAC 14. The MWC will slide right in, seamlessly.

Hopefully we add Memphis, Tulane, Gonzaga, and Wichita State,
ViAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 8th, 2023, 3:20 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh. Couldn't be happier.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Full

Post by Full » September 8th, 2023, 3:21 pm

It looks like Kliavkoff called a board meeting and included all the departing schools including USC/UCLA after Wazzu President Schulz refused to call a board meeting. Sounds like Kliavkoff was trying to get an “employee retention plan” approved.

https://x.com/slmandel/status/1700224323750080891?s=46
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 8th, 2023, 3:32 pm

Full wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 3:21 pm
It looks like Kliavkoff called a board meeting and included all the departing schools including USC/UCLA after Wazzu President Schulz refused to call a board meeting. Sounds like Kliavkoff was trying to get an “employee retention plan” approved.

https://x.com/slmandel/status/1700224323750080891?s=46
WOW: https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/09/08/ ... ng-rights/

That's some real guts right there, the dude knows he's screwed and this was a last ditch hail marry

SLB

Post by SLB » September 8th, 2023, 3:45 pm

If Oregon State and Washington State are successful, it would change how the PAC 12/MWC conference setup would go. This smells like the PAC 12 decided to take all the money away from Oregon State and Washington State.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 8th, 2023, 4:03 pm

SLB wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 3:45 pm
If Oregon State and Washington State are successful, it would change how the PAC 12/MWC conference setup would go. This smells like the PAC 12 decided to take all the money away from Oregon State and Washington State.
I think it was more the Commish trying to save his @ss, especially since he attempted to invite USC and LA knowing they haven't been involved in any conference meetings since they announced their departure.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 8th, 2023, 4:14 pm

Certainly not a legal expert, but it looks to me that both bylaws and precedent favor OSU/WSU. I know labor law is different, but I have seen in labor disputes in my industry that precedent or historical trends can supersede labor contractual agreements (i.e. if the contract says one thing, but one party regularly accepts another standard, then the other standard is what is enforceable). So if similar rules apply, then yeah, OSU/WSU have a great argument.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 8th, 2023, 4:46 pm

LKGates wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 1:15 pm
88USUAggie wrote:
You mean the PAC-2 can't just play each other 9 or 10 times?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 8th, 2023, 4:48 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 2:57 pm
I'm pretty sure Washington State owes us a home game.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » September 8th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 1:55 pm
88USUAggie wrote:
I think this will definitely help the MWC in recruiting battles. Not saying it’s going to mean we’re going to start beating out SC or Oregon for recruits, but for a lot of fringe guys it might help tip the scales in our favor knowing they’re going to stay more local, get a lot of exposure, and play in the best non-power conference
As someone who is a parent of a possible college athlete, West Coast based, it is a factor, but not a huge factor. At least, not at this point. We will see how things look in two years, when he has to make some choices (if there are choices to make). Playing for a Px school will likely trump a Gx school no matter the location, though we are well aware of the travel demands.

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » September 8th, 2023, 6:51 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 6:18 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
88USUAggie wrote:
As someone who is a parent of a possible college athlete, West Coast based, it is a factor, but not a huge factor. At least, not at this point. We will see how things look in two years, when he has to make some choices (if there are choices to make). Playing for a Px school will likely trump a Gx school no matter the location, though we are well aware of the travel demands.
Can I ask why this is the case? No offense, don't know you or your kid or their talent level, but assume they are not the top and going pro in their sport, why not go to a G5 and have an opportunity to play, show your talent, knowing this is more than likely it for your sports career? Also knowing if you're good enough, G5/P5 doesn't matter. Why does it have to be a P5, why not go to the spot that fits you best?

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » September 8th, 2023, 7:39 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
88USUAggie wrote:
Like I said, it’s not going to pull most P5 kids down, BUT, if there are kids on the fringe of either side, it could push them our way. Let’s say their one P5 offer is Cal or an equivalent, but a bunch of high end G5s, I’d wager they end up T the high G5s

Playing time, numbers and measurables are how you get to the league. They don’t really care where you go to school, as long as you have those 3 things. We got FCS guys getting drafted. If you can play, they’ll find you.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » September 8th, 2023, 8:12 pm

Aggies1888 wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 6:51 pm
SeattleAg wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
88USUAggie wrote:
Can I ask why this is the case? No offense, don't know you or your kid or their talent level, but assume they are not the top and going pro in their sport, why not go to a G5 and have an opportunity to play, show your talent, knowing this is more than likely it for your sports career? Also knowing if you're good enough, G5/P5 doesn't matter. Why does it have to be a P5, why not go to the spot that fits you best?
These days it will generally take two or three transfers before the athlete finds the right fit as a 6th year Senior.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » September 9th, 2023, 7:53 am

Depending how this plays out:

1. If Oregon State and Washington State get a massive windfall more likely than not they'll just do a reverse merger with the Mountain West, or even potentially (even though I think it's a less likely option) they'll pluck whoever they want from the Mountain West Conference and a couple of AAC schools.

2. If they get only a proportionate amount and the rest go to the other 10 departing schools, then I could see them just going with the reverse merger with the Mountain West Conference.

3. If they get very little leftover then they'll just join the Mountain West Conference and not even do a reverse merger because that's the only thing they could afford to do.

Keep in mind a reverse merger I think is the best scenario for all parties, but the debts and liabilities of the Pac-12 may have to be paid for before the schools feel comfortable doing that. It is my opinion that because schools like Stanford and Cal are going to be negatively impacted from taking such a cut in finances just to join the ACC, and possibly Washington and Oregon taking a bigger cut than most Big ten schools, I would not be surprised at all if option 2 is what's decided.

ozzie1p

Post by ozzie1p » September 9th, 2023, 10:53 am

My cynical side tells me that whatever happens it will be to the benefit of the few richest schools that left. USC...etc. The rich and powerful always win in the end.

Sent from my SM-F731U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ozzie1p for the post:
88USUAggie

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » September 11th, 2023, 6:22 pm

Chatman wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 8:12 pm
Aggies1888 wrote:
September 8th, 2023, 6:51 pm
SeattleAg wrote:

These days it will generally take two or three transfers before the athlete finds the right fit as a 6th year Senior.
In our case, it's baseball, and yes, playing time etc will be a consideration. Personal preference at this point for him - he thinks he wants to be at a big time sports school, but if it looks like he's going to ride the bench the whole time, he probably wouldn't commit there in the first place. It's all a complicated discussion though, and most likely the recruiters will make most of the decisions for him. Would be happy to have a thread somewhere just talking about college recruiting, it's a crazy topic.

Locked Previous topicNext topic