Turbin is a disaster

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Turbin is a disaster

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 8:32 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:08 pm
brownjeans wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 7:26 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 6:37 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 6:15 pm
The offensive PI against Vaughns was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen.
And what was Turbo’s call?
I thought he explained it well. Turbin said Vaughns has to make the appearance of running a route there. They called it because he just moved up into the area that impeded the coverage without making any show of being an option to receive a pass.
One may disagree or agree with whether the ref SHOULD have made that call, but that is the WHY the ref made the call.
Turbin was flat out wrong in his assessment. The WR doesn't have to run a route or even appear to run a route. The WR can just mosey on down the field and as long as he doesn't set the pick there is no penalty.
Turbo gave an explanation for the call, if his was wrong, what is your explanation? And your credentials which are superior to Turbin's that show that you know football better than him?
Last edited by brownjeans on November 24th, 2023, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 24th, 2023, 8:34 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:32 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
I thought he explained it well. Turbin said Vaughns has to make the appearance of running a route there. They called it because he just moved up into the area that impeded the coverage without making any show of being an option to receive a pass.
One may disagree or agree with whether the ref SHOULD have made that call, but that is the WHY the ref made the call.
Turbin was flat out wrong in his assessment. The WR doesn't have to run a route or even appear to run a route. The WR can just mosey on down the field and as long as he doesn't set the pick there is no penalty.
Turbo gave an explanation for the call, if his was wrong, what is your explanation?
It was a terrible call. That’s all you need to say.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
AV8AG

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 24th, 2023, 8:35 pm

I think most commentators are awful so in my book by even being mediocre Turbo is amongst the best there is.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 8:35 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:34 pm
brownjeans wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:32 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Turbo gave an explanation for the call, if his was wrong, what is your explanation?
It was a terrible call. That’s all you need to say.
as a fan, that's fine.
But Turbin had a job to do, he did it well.
Last edited by brownjeans on November 24th, 2023, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2023, 8:37 pm

brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Turbo gave an explanation for the call, if his was wrong, what is your explanation? And your credentials which are superior to Turbin's that show that you know football better than him?
Here’s my explanation: Vaughn didn’t touch anybody. It’s not a penalty if you don’t touch the opposing team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkAV8AG

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 8:39 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:37 pm
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Here’s my explanation: Vaughn didn’t touch anybody. It’s not a penalty if you don’t touch the opposing team.
Source that proves you're correct?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 24th, 2023, 8:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:39 pm
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
I think you’ve lost the plot mate.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
AV8AG

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2023, 8:51 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

What’s your source? You really think it’s a penalty even though you don’t touch the other team. Gtfo.

Sl7vkAV8AG

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » November 24th, 2023, 9:08 pm

Calling that game had to be a huge challenge. No flow with constant penalties. Trying to understand that opi was a stretch, but it's probably more thoughtful analysis than, "that was a bad call."

When Booth put that ball on the ground, I wanted him to say, "if you're going to wear 6 in that uniform, you better not fumble."

Also, I'm not about to listen to any "Turbin is a disaster talk." Keep his name out your (I can't express myself without swearing) mouth. Man is a damn legend. :thumbsup:

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

UStater

Post by UStater » November 24th, 2023, 9:19 pm

I was about to lose my mind when this thread started. I thought we had to be the dumbest fans in the nation, but luckily it was only a couple odd takes... Turbo is a legend, and I am super impressed that he could call our game and not just act like some USU homer the whole time. I mean, what about this 6-6 team is there to be a homer about?😂 Great player, great commentator, but most importantly, great Human Being.
These users thanked the author UStater for the post:
tovli

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2023, 9:42 pm

Source: Pass interference cannot occur without contact. It was a terrible call.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
AV8AG

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

UStater

Post by UStater » November 24th, 2023, 10:01 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 9:42 pm

Got us! Man, you are right....Turbo should resign tonight and apologize to all us Aggie loyal who watched from home today. This is the biggest scandal any ex-usu football player has gone through. Not sure how we as a fan-base support this man ever again.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2023, 10:04 pm

UStater wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Got us! Man, you are right....Turbo should resign tonight and apologize to all us Aggie loyal who watched from home today. This is the biggest scandal any ex-usu football player has gone through. Not sure how we as a fan-base support this man ever again.
Have you followed this thread at all?

Brownjeans was adamant that it was the right call and asked for a source.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AV8AG

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 24th, 2023, 10:09 pm

Turbo is awesome. It's always fun to see Aggies doing great things.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 24th, 2023, 10:24 pm

Turbin is awesome he is a color analyst. He is paid to try and be in as impartial as he can. He is an Aggie legend who loves the Aggies. Why we would start threads bashing on him is beyond me.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2023, 10:34 pm

UStater wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 10:01 pm
dyedblue wrote:

You’re an idiot. Go read the thread. I loved Turbin as an analyst and stuck up for him.
I have nothing for love for him.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
FloridaAggie13

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 11:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:51 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

What’s your source? You really think it’s a penalty even though you don’t touch the other team. Gtfo.
It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think. It matters what the rule is and how the ref interpreted that rule. Turbin's job is to know that rule, and explain how the ref interpreted the rule in that specific play.
Turbin did his job.

We fans can say it's a bad call, Turbin can too, if he chooses, but I found what he did to be far more insightful than if he'd have said it was a bad call. Telling us it's a bad call provides no insight.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2023, 11:08 pm

Turbin was wrong about the call. PI cannot occur without contact. That’s not insightful. That’s not a knock on Turbin, he did great and I’d take him on our broadcasts any day.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 11:18 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 11:08 pm
Turbin was wrong about the call. PI cannot occur without contact. That’s not insightful. That’s not a knock on Turbin, he did great and I’d take him on our broadcasts any day.

Contact being required is your interpretation, and your interpretation doesn't matter. The ref's interpretation is what matters.
Turbin wasn't judging whether the call was right or wrong, he was judging why he thought the ref made the call. Turbin wasn't wrong about why the ref made the call.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 11:27 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 10:04 pm
UStater wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

I don't think you are following this thread. I haven't given any opinion about whether the call was right or wrong. Neither did Turbin. Turbin was remarking on WHY the ref made the call, not if it was right.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2023, 11:35 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think. It matters what the rule is and how the ref interpreted that rule. Turbin's job is to know that rule, and explain how the ref interpreted the rule in that specific play.
Turbin did his job.

We fans can say it's a bad call, Turbin can too, if he chooses, but I found what he did to be far more insightful than if he'd have said it was a bad call. Telling us it's a bad call provides no insight.
It matters what the rule is and the parties involved just botched this one. It happens.

It’s can’t be that insightful if he didn’t realize it’s not offensive PI if the offensive player doesn’t touch the defensive player.

Turbin didn’t know the rule because dyed blue just showed you the rule and the ref didn’t know the rule either.

Turbin was wrong. The ref was wrong and you’re wrong. Don’t be so obtuse. You look dumb.

(Nothing but love for Turbin. He’s a legend. I love the man )

AV8AG

UStater

Post by UStater » November 24th, 2023, 11:36 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 10:04 pm
UStater wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Yes I have been following this thread,but I am not an animal and reply in-line as the good lord intended. I might be being a bit of a smarta$$ but the fact that this thread exists and that anyone would nit+pick a great job by an Aggie legend just boggles my mind. I stand by my sassyness

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2023, 11:41 pm

brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 11:08 pm

Contact being required is your interpretation, and your interpretation doesn't matter. The ref's interpretation is what matters.
Turbin wasn't judging whether the call was right or wrong, he was judging why he thought the ref made the call. Turbin wasn't wrong about why the ref made the call.
Contact is literally in the definition in the rule book. Turbin doesn’t really have any idea why the ref made the call if it’s not in the rule book that the WR has to pretend to run a route.

You asked for a source and you got a source and you’re still digging your hole ?

Or the ref just “thought” there was contact but didn’t really see it ?

FloridaAggie13AV8AG

UStater

Post by UStater » November 24th, 2023, 11:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 11:35 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

Turbin did his job.

It matters what the rule is and the parties involved just botched this one. It happens.

It’s can’t be that insightful if he didn’t realize it’s not offensive PI if the offensive player doesn’t touch the defensive player.

Turbin didn’t know the rule because dyed blue just showed you the rule and the ref didn’t know the rule either.

Turbin was wrong. The ref was wrong and you’re wrong. Don’t be so obtuse. You look dumb.

Of
Just because you say browjeans looks dumb does not make it so. He does not look dumb in my eyes. I liked his explanation of why the ref called it. Maybe the ref was wrong, but it does stand that you can't block down field (to help someone else get open) and I think that is what he is referring too...now if indeed he did not touch him even a little, then yes, it's the wrong call, but Turbins insight still stands, make it clear you are attempting to run a route when you run past the line of scrimmage before the ball is thrown

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 24th, 2023, 11:54 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

Turbin did his job.

(Nothing but love for Turbin. He’s a legend. I love the man
You seem confused about what we're discussing. We're not discussing if the call was right/wrong. This isn't a thread about the ref, or about the rules of football. It's about Turbin's commentary.
Turbin commented on why the ref made the call. That's different than commenting on if the call was right/wrong. My comments are about what I think about Turbin's comments. That they were better than telling me it's a good/bad call. I can judge the quality of the call myself, and found the WHY the ref would make such a call more interesting.

But yeah, I'm sure I look dumb and I'm wrong - it would be way better if the guy on tv screamed, "bad call!"

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2023, 11:56 pm

UStater wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

Turbin did his job.

Of
Just because you say browjeans looks dumb does not make it so. He does not look dumb in my eyes. I liked his explanation of why the ref called it. Maybe the ref was wrong, but it does stand that you can't block down field (to help someone else get open) and I think that is what he is referring too...now if indeed he did not touch him even a little, then yes, it's the wrong call, but Turbins insight still stands, make it clear you are attempting to run a route when you run past the line of scrimmage before the ball is thrown
But Vaughn didn’t block downfield. That’s the entire problem !

The rule BY DEFINITION says you have to make contact with the defender. Vaughn did not make contact. The rule DOES NOT say you have to run a route. Turbins insight was wrong because that’s not the rule. He was apparently just guessing as to why the ref called it.

https://x.com/sneed85/status/1728210298 ... vLvN9b-j_A

AV8AG

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 25th, 2023, 12:00 am

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 11:56 pm
UStater wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

Turbin did his job.

Of

The rule BY DEFINITION says you have to make contact with the defender. Vaughn did not make contact. The rule DOES NOT say you have to run a route. Turbins insight was wrong because that’s not the rule. He was apparently just guessing as to why the ref called it.

It was a joke of a call. The NM defender is the one who touched Vaughn. I am perplexed that was called.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AV8AG

UStater

Post by UStater » November 25th, 2023, 12:01 am

2004AG wrote:
UStater wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

Turbin did his job.

Of

Oh good we are on the same page....he was guessing on why the ref called it. I guess his guess was as good as any, infact maybe even pretty informed

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2023, 12:04 am

2004AG wrote:
UStater wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Quit digging.

Turbin did his job.

Of

Ding, ding, ding! Now you're getting somewhere!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 25th, 2023, 7:29 am

Listen to the commentary, he wasn't guessing as to why the call was made, he was asserting what the rule is. He got it wrong. Pointing out his mistake isn't a condemnation of his overall work. Good grief.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
AV8AG

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 25th, 2023, 8:14 am

I had to scroll past the stupid in this thread, so I didn’t read much of the ending. I can’t believe we are having this petty argument.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
brownjeansAV8AGvegasaggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2023, 8:19 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 25th, 2023, 7:29 am
Listen to the commentary, he wasn't guessing as to why the call was made, he was asserting what the rule is. He got it wrong. Pointing out his mistake isn't a condemnation of his overall work. Good grief.
Well, now we're playing inferred vs implied games. How were the words thrown vs how were they were caught.

IMO you and I can really only only comment on how we received his words, not what Turbin intended. I can see how you took it that way, you may be right.

I hold to my original post on this thread - this is a super dumb thread. Turbin is NOT a disaster. I liked his commentary very much.
Last edited by brownjeans on November 25th, 2023, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2023, 8:21 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 25th, 2023, 8:14 am
I had to scroll past the stupid in this thread, so I didn’t read much of the ending. I can’t believe we are having this petty argument.
Me either! Nor how upset people are! I haven't been treated this rudely in a while, glad it's about something important! :) :shock: :lol:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 25th, 2023, 8:29 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
It's called being a decoy.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 25th, 2023, 8:37 am

I think Turbos insight was awesome on that call. He explained how you do it to take away the chance for the ref to make a bad call.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic