Love's new teamate

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Love's new teamate

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 11th, 2024, 1:55 pm

I'm bummed to see JJ leave the Raiders....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-ag ... 33889.html

GeoAg

Re: Love's new teamate

Post by GeoAg » March 11th, 2024, 2:21 pm

Bummer. I think Aaron Jones is better
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleAggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » March 11th, 2024, 3:56 pm

GeoAg wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 2:21 pm
Bummer. I think Aaron Jones is better
Only if you can keep him on the field. Plus Jones is playing on borrowed time at this point in his career.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post:
trevordude

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 11th, 2024, 4:52 pm

Josh Jacobs fits pretty well with the Packers scheme.

Not sure he's a big reliability boost over Jones...

But he is younger by 4 years.

I wonder if the Packers knew something about Jones' health
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
MrBiggle

Not sent from Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 11th, 2024, 4:57 pm

GeoAg wrote:Bummer. I think Aaron Jones is better
Jones is better but this allows them to save some money to pay JL and sign Xavier McKinney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » March 12th, 2024, 10:36 am

I was most impressed with Josh Jacobs before he got his big raise with the Raiders. His average YPC dropped from about 5 to 3.5 from 2022 to 2023. Maybe he had a down year with the Raiders, but hopefully, he'll pick it back up for Love and GB.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 12th, 2024, 10:39 am

travelingagg wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 10:36 am
I was most impressed with Josh Jacobs before he got his big raise with the Raiders. His average YPC dropped from about 5 to 3.5 from 2022 to 2023. Maybe he had a down year with the Raiders, but hopefully, he'll pick it back up for Love and GB.
The Raiders QBs were Jimmy Garoppolo and Aiden O’Connell which probably made it a lot easier for defenses to key on the run game.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
travelingaggEl Sapo

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 12th, 2024, 12:13 pm

Hoot wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 10:39 am
travelingagg wrote:
The Raiders QBs were Jimmy Garoppolo and Aiden O’Connell which probably made it a lot easier for defenses to key on the run game.
The above and the Raiders OL was pretty bad last season. Note that the PFF geeks watching and rating plays and players (in Mumbai lol) rated the Raiders OL pretty high. Top 10. So, which is it? Just a few minutes of watching film and you can see that the 5 Raider O Line men almost always got help from a 6th OL, or the TE was held in along with JJ to block. Most of the time Raiders only had 2 guys running pass routes. Thanks to boy genius Josh McDanials!

The weak OL was part of McDanials belief that the OL doesn't matter because the QB is going to get the ball out before the DL can get to him.

My gut tells me JJ is going to have an impact with the Pack. Raiders wanted to keep him. He left because the Pack overpaid to get him.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 12th, 2024, 2:05 pm

El Sapo wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 12:13 pm
Hoot wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 10:39 am
travelingagg wrote:
The above and the Raiders OL was pretty bad last season. Note that the PFF geeks watching and rating plays and players (in Mumbai lol) rated the Raiders OL pretty high. Top 10. So, which is it? Just a few minutes of watching film and you can see that the 5 Raider O Line men almost always got help from a 6th OL, or the TE was held in along with JJ to block. Most of the time Raiders only had 2 guys running pass routes. Thanks to boy genius Josh McDanials!

The weak OL was part of McDanials belief that the OL doesn't matter because the QB is going to get the ball out before the DL can get to him.

My gut tells me JJ is going to have an impact with the Pack. Raiders wanted to keep him. He left because the Pack overpaid to get him.
Sometimes I wonder what PFF is smoking. They rated the Jags o-line pretty high a few times while Lawrence was in a sling and on crutches still trying to play QB
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
El Sapo

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 13th, 2024, 9:38 am

It’s no players fault they sucked on the raiders the last few years- mcdaniels is a clown.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaEl Sapo

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 13th, 2024, 11:09 am

This is great. Now that they've taken care of the running back spot, they can put all of their focus into fixing that defense. And maybe giving him a new o-lineman or two.

El Sapo

Re: Love's next season

Post by El Sapo » April 11th, 2024, 12:42 pm

Now that the draft is near, it reminds me that I was fairly critical of Love's potential as an NFL QB. I thought he had a horrible senior year at USU and his poor play cost the team. He also had some off-field issues. I didn't think he was mobile enough to be successful in the NFL.

Turns out the Packers know their stuff when it comes to drafting QB's. That should have been a clue right there. As good as Love played last season, remember it was basically his "rookie" season. No expectations for him in his first year as a starter, and he takes them into the playoffs and nearly beats the NFC champion 49ers at their house.

You'd think going into his 2nd year that Love should just get better and better. But NFL defenses have had an offseason to study his tape. Sophomore jinx? I sure won't bet against him again.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
ViAggie

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 11th, 2024, 12:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 12:42 pm
Now that the draft is near, it reminds me that I was fairly critical of Love's potential as an NFL QB. I thought he had a horrible senior year at USU and his poor play cost the team. He also had some off-field issues. I didn't think he was mobile enough to be successful in the NFL.

Turns out the Packers know their stuff when it comes to drafting QB's. That should have been a clue right there. As good as Love played last season, remember it was basically his "rookie" season. No expectations for him in his first year as a starter, and he takes them into the playoffs and nearly beats the NFC champion 49ers at their house.

You'd think going into his 2nd year that Love should just get better and better. But NFL defenses have had an offseason to study his tape. Sophomore jinx? I sure won't bet against him again.
Packers still paying Love rookie money. If they don't get some solid veterans and win in the playoffs they are lame. NFC still weaker conference
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
El Sapo

Not sent from Tapatalk

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 11th, 2024, 12:54 pm

trevordude wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 12:47 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Packers still paying Love rookie money. If they don't get some solid veterans and win in the playoffs they are lame. NFC still weaker conference
JL is on a one year extension and is eligible for renegotiation the first week of May. He's about to make 50M+ a year within the next few weeks.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
El Sapo

bpd

Post by bpd » April 11th, 2024, 1:00 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 12:54 pm
trevordude wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

JL is on a one year extension and is eligible for renegotiation the first week of May. He's about to make 50M+ a year within the next few weeks.
Off the field issues... Kind of not really. You didn't think he was mobile enough for the NFL???? Really???
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
trevordude

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 11th, 2024, 1:15 pm

bpd wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 1:00 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 12:54 pm
trevordude wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Off the field issues... Kind of not really. You didn't think he was mobile enough for the NFL???? Really???
I assume you’re directing this at Sapo and not me, right?
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
El Sapo

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 11th, 2024, 1:20 pm

El Sapo wrote:

His Senior year sucked so much it never even happened. He actually left after his Jr. year and was already a highly touted prospect after his So. year. I'm not sure what QB you were watching but JLove was the most talented QB I have seen in Logan in my days of being an Aggie fan (to late 80's). He was elusive, always kept his eyes down the field even when things broke down around him, had crazy arm talent, could make things happen off-script when needed, and despite the lies that seemed to spread about his accuracy - I thought he was amazingly accurate at all three levels. He was simply surrounded by much less talent his Jr. season and, as a result, tried to make things happen when they weren't always there for the taking. Yes, that was on him but he was hardly the problem with our team in 2019.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 12th, 2024, 1:42 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 1:20 pm
El Sapo wrote:

His Senior year sucked so much it never even happened. He actually left after his Jr. year and was already a highly touted prospect after his So. year. I'm not sure what QB you were watching but JLove was the most talented QB I have seen in Logan in my days of being an Aggie fan (to late 80's). He was elusive, always kept his eyes down the field even when things broke down around him, had crazy arm talent, could make things happen off-script when needed, and despite the lies that seemed to spread about his accuracy - I thought he was amazingly accurate at all three levels. He was simply surrounded by much less talent his Jr. season and, as a result, tried to make things happen when they weren't always there for the taking. Yes, that was on him but he was hardly the problem with our team in 2019.
:cheers: Got me on a technicality. Accurate description as well. I never questioned Love's arm talent. But I know that having a rocket arm isn't the end-all qualification for QB success in the NFL. I did question his quickness because I didn't think he looked very elusive. People pointed out that he was fast, but that's not the same as first step quickness. He needed to develop his skills and I wasn't sure he had his head on straight. Green Bay obviously saw a kid who they believed would put in the work to get to the next level and was serious about his profession.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 12th, 2024, 4:24 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 1:20 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Love absolutely carried that team. You could argue that he got a bit reckless against WF and he didn't see a backer a couple of times against the Zoobs that would have kept the Aggies close but that was a 2-3 win season without him.

He had an all new O-line, New receivers, and an offensive coordinator who was pretty much AWOL. They left the formations and terminology from Yost's team but dumbed down the routes and left it to Love to try to figure it out. The D sucked and he had to try to play hero ball all year.

I've been impressed though just how much he progressed in both reading D's and taking care of the ball. The idea that he was going to struggle with mobility. Not sure where that came from.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessiontrevordude

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic