2024 USU FOOTBALL SPRING BALL: The Quarterback Battle

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: 2024 USU FOOTBALL SPRING BALL: The Quarterback Battle

Post by 2004AG » April 9th, 2024, 3:15 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 1:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 8:21 am
dyedblue wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 6:28 am
I guarantee you that Petras starts, Hillstead redshirts, and that Barnes regrets his decision to come to Utah State.

Legas has never been wanted by BA, and he should have just transferred. He may play this year, but only when injuries leave no other choice. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave after Spring ball.
Why would Cooper leave after spring ball? He has not quit once on the Aggies. When Petras and Barnes transferred in he knew the QB battle would be an open one. I love Cooper and hope he doesn't transfer. He just does not seem like the guy to quit and move on when he has had multiple chances to leave in the past.
He would transfer for the opportunity to start at another school.
But why would he wait until after spring ball. If he was going to transfer it seems as though he would have entered the portal as soon as Petras was announced. To transfer after spring ball to a new team and be named the starter for this upcoming season would seem unlikely IMO.
Because if after spring ball, IF, Petras is named the starter or if it’s obvious the writing is on the wall about who is going to start, he could/would transfer.

It would take until the end of spring to know one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 9th, 2024, 5:40 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 1:33 pm
2004AG wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
I guarantee you that Petras starts, Hillstead redshirts, and that Barnes regrets his decision to come to Utah State.

Legas has never been wanted by BA, and he should have just transferred. He may play this year, but only when injuries leave no other choice. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave after Spring ball.
Why would Cooper leave after spring ball? He has not quit once on the Aggies. When Petras and Barnes transferred in he knew the QB battle would be an open one. I love Cooper and hope he doesn't transfer. He just does not seem like the guy to quit and move on when he has had multiple chances to leave in the past.
But why would he wait until after spring ball. If he was going to transfer it seems as though he would have entered the portal as soon as Petras was announced. To transfer after spring ball to a new team and be named the starter for this upcoming season would seem unlikely IMO.
I hope he stays and if he does he'll play. The Aggies haven't had a season where they haven't used multiple QBs extensively since Jordan Love. Anderson's style of play invites free rushers and big qb hits aside from the porous O lines and past shoulder issues in particular always seem to rear their ugly head in football. The Aggies are gonna need both unless they really want to rely on Barnes and/or lose the redshirt for Hillstead. Legas's value is having 3 years in this system and absent dropping to a pretty low level school he's gonna struggle winning a starting job elsewhere with his limitations. Ironically if he does have success as a transfer I'll bet it comes when he gets a backup opportunity anyway.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025GameFAQSAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 9th, 2024, 5:46 pm

hickaggie wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 5:40 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 9th, 2024, 1:33 pm
2004AG wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

I hope he stays and if he does he'll play. The Aggies haven't had a season where they haven't used multiple QBs extensively since Jordan Love. Anderson's style of play invites free rushers and big qb hits aside from the porous O lines and past shoulder issues in particular always seem to rear their ugly head in football. The Aggies are gonna need both unless they really want to rely on Barnes and/or lose the redshirt for Hillstead. Legas's value is having 3 years in this system and absent dropping to a pretty low level school he's gonna struggle winning a starting job elsewhere with his limitations. Ironically if he does have success as a transfer I'll bet it comes when he gets a backup opportunity anyway.

That said I hope that this big armed transfer is all he's cracked up to be for Royals sake. I think aside from Jordan Love he is the Aggies best prospect since Wagner and he deserves to be able show his stuff after deciding to turn down what I would guess is a lot of dough to stay.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Aggie84025

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 10th, 2024, 7:47 am

Competition is always a good thing for every football team.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie84025

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 10th, 2024, 3:09 pm

You do not become a multi-time High School FB, Wrestling, and Javelin Champ State Champ without a bit of competitive "juice" flowing through your veins.

And you don't come back from a substantial injury to play again at the FBS collegiate level without that same "juice".

Barring another injury, I will be quite surprised if Coop is not in the mix and the discussion this fall. It is just the type of athlete and competitor he is.

I could not care less that a couple of P5 level transfer QB recruits have been brought in. In FBS Football you have to compete every day. Cooper is as competitive as anyone I have seen in Aggie Blue and White

I have no skin in the game other than cheering for Utah State. I see Cooper's continuing rehab and progress as good for Utah State Football. I applaud his efforts.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post (total 2):
GaryTakeTheWheelutahcountyaggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 10th, 2024, 3:35 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 3:09 pm
You do not become a multi-time High School FB, Wrestling, and Javelin Champ State Champ without a bit of competitive "juice" flowing through your veins.

And you don't come back from a substantial injury to play again at the FBS collegiate level without that same "juice".

Barring another injury, I will be quite surprised if Coop is not in the mix and the discussion this fall. It is just the type of athlete and competitor he is.

I could not care less that a couple of P5 level transfer QB recruits have been brought in. In FBS Football you have to compete every day. Cooper is as competitive as anyone I have seen in Aggie Blue and White

I have no skin in the game other than cheering for Utah State. I see Cooper's continuing rehab and progress as good for Utah State Football. I applaud his efforts.
Wait, Cooper threw javelin and wrestled?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 10th, 2024, 11:24 pm

To be clear, I have no doubt about Coop’s competitive juices or loyalty. He’s got that in spades. It’s about a coach that doesn’t believe in him and doesn’t know how to manage a QB room.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
Hoot

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 11th, 2024, 12:47 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 3:35 pm
RogerAndersen wrote:

He was born in a log cabin that he built himself.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaHoot

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 11th, 2024, 2:25 pm

El Sapo wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 12:47 pm
Hoot wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 3:35 pm
RogerAndersen wrote:

He was born in a log cabin that he built himself.
In Russia no less.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
HootEl Sapo

Donman

Post by Donman » April 11th, 2024, 2:29 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 11:24 pm
To be clear, I have no doubt about Coop’s competitive juices or loyalty. He’s got that in spades. It’s about a coach that doesn’t believe in him and doesn’t know how to manage a QB room.
And yet all of those QBs came back this season and was able to bring in two veterans for more competition.

aggiesdbap21
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggiesdbap21 » April 14th, 2024, 5:29 pm

Any update from this past week? I'm hoping Barnes has shown some improvement as he continues to get his "sealegs".

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 14th, 2024, 6:22 pm

Donman wrote:
April 11th, 2024, 2:29 pm
dyedblue wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 11:24 pm
And yet all of those QBs came back this season and was able to bring in two veterans for more competition.
There goes Hillstead, and he didn’t even make it through the spring. He was Blake’s golden child so that one is surprising. I won’t hold my breath Legas making a move. There are teams that would take him in a heartbeat for the fall.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » April 14th, 2024, 6:31 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic